• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase July 23 - Ready to get back to work Chief?

Are you ready

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thy made my decision easy. No next box definitely getting ps5 and what thy showed during Sony presentation especially GT, Horizon, Spiderman, Agathia, Demon Souls, etc was infinitely better.

Never really was a Halo fan because when I played it mp felt generic and sp was OK but this Halo showing really ruined the presentation for me as I was secretly hoping to be wowed smh and I was 🤔 instead.

I'm so surprised :pie_roffles: 🤣 "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles: 🤣

The show that was supposed to end all shows and put everyone else in their place once again had CGI trailers and announcements for announcements, 22 timed exclusives that mean nothing and is only moving goalposts more, and a few first party games, 2 of which are multiplatform (The Outer Worlds and Psychonauts 2).

This was supposed to not be a third party showcase, if the other studios are working on something why not show all 15? This is just making me not want to buy a Series X for a while. Fable isn't releasing anytime soon, and neither is Everwild. Do they even plan out their games anymore? Disappointing, this proves that hardware is literally irrelevant, don't arrogantly boast about your hardware that's merely slightly better and not give us exclusives to play or show CGI trailers on your biggest event of the year.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Interesting titles were shown (Halo, Avowed, Medium, Fable) but we have no clue how they play and what they look like. I mean, they could have just post an article with 2-3 pics and it would have the same result. These conferences are a great chance to see how these games play, and MS seriously underdelivered.

Halo was especially disappointing to me. It didn't look next gen. Like, AT ALL.
lol i dunno man i just didnt see what you saw i guess. i thought the graphics looked great for pretty much all of the game. they definitely were a step up from what we have now.

JTCx

Wheres this next gen graphics that were going to blow away sony's showing??? All the games MS showed dont look any better. Only thing that seems interesting so far is psychonauts, new pso2, and stalker 2. Guess those extra trap beats make up for it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Hey Johnny strong arm, didn't you make a thread about Xbox fanboys trolling Sony threads?

Go take a break and do some flexes

It's only okay when he does it remember with a bunch of twelvie emojis thrown in 👀👀💪, but at least we don't get to miss out on a thread full of atrocious spelling, poor punctuation and low level trolling from someone who's apparently a parent and near 40. Shit makes me laugh :messenger_tears_of_joy:

KAL2006

Banned
All the best games are time exclusive so will wait for them on PS5

The one that look interesting Fable, Abvoled and Everwild looked the most interesting but the lack of no gameplay has put me off. I remember getting hyped from Crackdown, Scalebound, ReCore and etc, either games were so far off and disapointing or got cancelled. So I'm not falling for that again. We don't even know the genre for Everwild could be a low budget Animal Crossing game like.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony has made me want their new hardware, but this presentation moved the needle less than their competitor's.

I agree with you, both Sony and MSFT's presentations were a total let down. I guess its up to gamers now to actually experience the games for themselves by actually playing it and deciding if this is something they want to purchase. Gamepass definitely allows you to do that without you having to dish out $60-$70 per game.

Neither PS5 and XsX have made me say "wow this is truly next gen" except for that PS5 Unreal Engine 5.0 tech demo which is not even a game, its a tech demo.

Next 2-3 years are just going to be upscaled gen 8 games due to developers learning curve, but thanks to updated developer tools, new apis, new libraries, and reduced time to triangle, the learning curve should definitely be reduced.

Im gonna wait it out and see how things turn out 3-6 months after launch.

intbal

All they had to do was say "JSRF now Backwards Compatible!" and I would've declared it the Show of the Millennium.
But this was just...

Wimbledon

iu

smbu2000

Positives:
- Everwild looked interesting, though a bit soft/touchy feely, and no idea what the gameplay is like
- new Obsidian RPG, though I'm sure that's at least 3 years away
- Fable teaser at the end -- good to see the art style and humor are there -- though just a brief teaser, and it appears the game is still in early stages, so it's several years away, hard to get excited at this point

Negatives:
- Very little gameplay, just lots of trailers without gameplay, lots of teasers with little idea of actual game
- Too much time spent with PR people yapping; I don't care
- Nothing that would make me want to buy an XSX at this point
- Lots of grim, dark, heavy stuff

I'd give it a C-, the PS showcase a C. Both were pretty underwhelming.
Avowed the Obsidian rpg will also be released on X1 according to the website, so it should release in less than 2 years going by the MS 2 years of continued X1 releases statement.

Bartski

Gold Member
Honestly Medium looked as the only game there I'm definitely gonna play here. Will keep an eye on the new Obsidian RPG and Everwild looks super pretty but no info on what it is. General lack of gameplay shown gets me worried.

Well they handicapped themselves by stating every game being shown will be on Gamepass. Most games on this service are either first party, indie games or older third party titles. Take a look at the NPD charts, vast majority of the popular games don't reflect this at all.

This was an ode to the base. You get Halo, Forza, Fable and tons of value for gamepass on the most powerful console. If you were on the fence before on getting an Xbox Series X, this wouldn't sway you and I'm not sure MS really cares. They have a 40-50 millionish core base that they can comfortably profit from. If you jump in, great. If you don't, meh.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Dude, it's an open world halo game. For that it looked OK and I guess many other people weren't expecting halo to be the graphics showcase..and if you play a game like Halo only for the visuals then you're a true weirdo.
design, weapon handling, soundtrack and story are MUCH more important for this game, especially for HALO FANS. you know, the one demographic that might be interested in rebuying a halo game again.
You're missing the point.
A Halo like the one shown a few minutes ago can be easily made on an X-Box One S. I want a Halo meant for the Series X. If you want me to buy your 12 Teraflop console, show me your flagship title taking advantage of that 12 TFlop console. Otherwise, what's the fucking point?

yeah, keep on dreaming, looking at your avatar pic, you seem very unbiased lol at least they showed gameplay for a first party game launching this year. sony did not.
Didn't Sony show Ratchet? But yeah, sure, lol lol. *shakes head*

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought it was much better than the PS5 show. First it didn't open with a game 2 generations old. There were way more games I'm interested in. They showed as much gameplay as Sony and all looked better than what Sony showed. Even as awful as Tell Me why is, it's not quite as horrible as Volcano High.
Yup.

Way more games and better too. Forza's 2 second game engine clip looked leagues better than GT7. GT7 looked no better than GT Sport.

And even better, half the games shown are on GP.

Tell Me Why and that other story game with the cardboard kind of cut outs are definitely not the kinds of game I care about playing, but at least better than Volcano High. lol

Last edited:
How could anyone even say this was on par with Sony's conference? I'm no PS fanboy and I don't even think their conference was anything fantastic, but this conference was straight garbage. After a (personally disappointing) Halo gameplay reveal, it was literally nothing but bland CG trailers or uninspired indie games for like 30-40 minutes straight with the obligatory forza. Stalker 2 and Psychonauts 2 were the only vaguely intriguing games, and one of them isnt even an exclusive. Sony at least had several of its big first party games represented (Horzion, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet, Gran Turismo), with full gameplay reveals for most of them. This was so much worse it hurts.

Also yeah, as other people have noted, this really does put the whole 12TF being such a massive selling point to the bed. There wasnt a single graphically impressive looking exclusive they showed off minus forza.

Good news is that presentations/in game engine intros/movies are not indicators of you experiencing and playing the games. Gamepass allows you to taste and get a feel for all those games for yourself. No excuses for MSFT for both garbage presentations, but they are after all games, and inorder for you to judge a game fairly, you have to play it.

Fbh

Pretty meh showing. Not much in terms of announcements.
Some interesting projects but they all seem to be years away. Fable and the New Obsidian RPG basically just had a title reveal, and Everwild has an amazing art style but could be anything at this point.

Halo seems OK, should be fun with the big world though it definitely looked cross gen.

And no Hellblade gameplay was a massive disappointment.

In the end the best announcement from this whole thing was Dragon Quest Definitive edition on Pc and Ps4

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Errr... I'm sorry guys but what the hell did I just watch?

State of Decay 3 (no gameplay).
Forza (no gameplay).
Everwild (no gameplay). Game looks good, though.
Avowed (no gameplay).
As Dusk Falls (no gameplay).
Hellblade 2 (no gameplay, not even a trailer).
Stalker 2 (no gameplay). And it's a Series X launch title!
Darktide (no gameplay).
Fable (no gameplay)

HALO Infinite (unimpressive and current gen).
Tell me why (typical DontNod but trans theme).
Ori and the will of the whisps (Smart delivery announce).
The Outer Wilds: Peril on Gorgon (Is it an expansion? A standalone game? Looks VERY current gen).
Grounded (not bad)
Psychonauts 2 (What the hell was that Jack Black trailer? At least they showed a little bit of gameplay.)
Destiny 2 (comes to gamepass and new expansion has smart delivery announce).
Tetris Effect (New online mode announce?)
The Gunk (hey, extended gameplay AT LAST)
The Medium (not next gen either but showed a little gameplay I guess...).
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis (ultra japanese game quota).
Crossfire X (looked better and more next gen than HALO, to be honest).

As a Series X event it was catastrophic. As a pure game showing event was severely lacking gameplay. As a hyping people for next gen event it was a joke.

But wait till next year, right Phil? Next year is always the one for Xbox to blow your mind.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
Yup.

Way more games and better too. Forza's 2 second game engine clip looked leagues better than GT7. GT7 looked no better than GT Sport.

And even better, half the games shown are on GP.

Tell Me Why and that other story game with the cardboard kind of cut outs are definitely not the kinds of game I care about playing, but at least better than Volcano High. lol

and MS didnt waste so much time on those games... Sony had like 10 minutes on bugsnax only lol

Katajx

Gold Member
They showed a variety of games atleast. I think they did a better job of making Game Pass look attractive than many of these games.

Some of em could be more interesting but there was no gameplay for them .

WTF happened to Battletoads?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Kinda hyped for the new PSO, but please don't make the PC version only available on the MS Store. That thing is awful.

They fucked it.

They truly fucked it.

There was nothing in that to lure back gamers who went to PlayStation last gen. NOTHING.

That may or may not be true. But I tell you that there were enough to lure me back to XBox since I left after the XB360 over a decade ago. Can't wait for XSX now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Stalker 2, halo, forza, fable, and game pass (which I use regularly) is enough for me to buy one.

I admit I'm more exited about the PS5 and it's exclusives but it's always a crazy ride with Xbox each gen given their constant ui improvements and innovations.

I haven't gone a gen yet where I didn't buy all the consoles and this won't be any different. Next gen is almost here baby!!!!

Top Bottom