• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Owners: Do you plan to sell your Xbox if Microsoft goes the SEGA's route?

Will you sel your Xbox or...

• Yes, i will sell my Xbox

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • No i will keep my Xbox

Votes: 222 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nah, that money is gone. I still have all my Xbox One games on it too...most of which I would have to rebuy on PC or Playstation. Selling the box is a dumb move for those who have purchases on it. Plus Gamepass is still a thing.

It's not like the console itself is shutdown. Kind of a dumb question if I'm honest.

King Dazzar

Nah, that money is gone. I still have all my Xbox One games on it too...most of which I would have to rebuy on PC or Playstation. Selling the box is a dumb move for those who have purchases on it. Plus Gamepass is still a thing.

It's not like the console itself is shutdown. Kind of a dumb question if I'm honest.
Maybe the other question is, will you still buy any new games or peripherals on Xbox moving forward, or will you invest in another platform?

King Dazzar

Clearly me actively not being there has led to this shit storm.
IMaggvh.jpg

Crayon

We don't really know what this Xbox thing is going to look like. Phil will lie about at least some of it next week. It might take 6 months or a year to get a good idea of how it's shaping up. Maybe. Longer since it would help a lot to see which direction they are going with hardware, if any.

Fabieter

There are some on Twitter that believe this isn't the end of Xbox and Microsoft will still release a next gen console.

Ofc it wont be the end of xbox. But in the longterm it will be the end of xbox exclusive games. When the first few games hit and return of investment is big on Playstation they will bring everything over.

DryvBy

I think it's about confidence from consumers to continue to buy into something you know is going to die -- if Phil announced 3rd party across the board.

The silence alone has caused people to already sell their systems. If I could do Rare Replay and a few others on PS4, Id probably just put this console in my gaming room next to the Dreamcast or I'll sell it now and rebuy it for said purpose when they're $50.

It's really just a question about that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Maybe the other question is, will you still buy any new games or peripherals on Xbox moving forward, or will you invest in another platform?
I mean, I already do that on PC. Haven't bought a single game this gen on the Xbox console because I been on PC since 2018. Now granted, when the Series X came out I did buy it, only because I thought there would be games that I would rather play on it rather than on my PC, which at the time I was running a 1070ti and an i5 CPU. However, I got lucky and was able to get a RTX 3080 and a R7 5800x in 2021. After that I never looked back. Everything played better on PC for the most part. In 2023 I ended up getting a 4090 and eventually was able to play a lot of Sony exclusives on PC as well. I double dipped on Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Days Gone, TLOU, Death Stranding, Returnal....etc.

When the Pro comes out I might consider buying exclusives on Playstation...but honestly that's only if two things occur. First, the Pro has to be much more powerful than the original PS5. Secondly, there would have to be long gaps between some of those exclusive games. Given that all those games are mainly single player experiences, there is less FOMO for to me to have to have them day 1. So I would just wait.

Same goes for 3rd party exclusives. Take Final Fantasy Rebirth. Coming out in Feb. But in the latest trailer it clearly says the game won't be available on other platforms til at least end of May of this year. Can I wait 3 months or so to play it? Of course I can...especially because it will likely be a better experience and it might have the extra content like FFVII: Intergrade did with the Yuffie chapters.

Stellar Blade...coming to PC. Helldivers...on PC. Death Stranding 2...likely to come to PC. I mean...you get my point I think.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Game Pass is unlikely to grow in any meaningful way even if they suddenly had COD, Diablo 4, and a bunch of other ABK games on it.

One other point I’d argue is that it wouldn’t cannibalize just the Xbox side. They’d also be cannibalizing multiplatform sales. If you were to put a game like Diablo 4 up on Game Pass, and I, as a multiplatform gamer, have access to both platforms and subscriptions, I certainly wouldn’t buy the game on PlayStation since I could play it “free” over on Xbox. That is a completely lost sale.

The first one there is jumping to conclusions a bit, IMO. But, they may have set an unreachable target of 100m, that's true.

The second could be true in some cases, but at the same time if they are drawing a significant number of players off of other platforms to play via the subscription things are going really well for them. The ratio of PS players with Xbox GP would have to be small, and they are adding in more players with Switch as well. The arguments you make are more of a have your cake and eat it too thing. Either the subscription gets a hell of a lot more popular than it is to dent the CoD player base or GP doesn't grow much and as a result CoD player habits don't change much. It's one or the other there, a binary choice just because of the numbers involved.

King Dazzar

I mean, I already do that on PC. Haven't bought a single game this gen on the Xbox console because I been on PC since 2018. Now granted, when the Series X came out I did buy it, only because I thought there would be games that I would rather play on it rather than on my PC, which at the time I was running a 1070ti and an i5 CPU. However, I got lucky and was able to get a RTX 3080 and a R7 5800x in 2021. After that I never looked back. Everything played better on PC for the most part. In 2023 I ended up getting a 4090 and eventually was able to play a lot of Sony exclusives on PC as well. I double dipped on Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Days Gone, TLOU, Death Stranding, Returnal....etc.

When the Pro comes out I might consider buying exclusives on Playstation...but honestly that's only if two things occur. First, the Pro has to be much more powerful than the original PS5. Secondly, there would have to be long gaps between some of those exclusive games. Given that all those games are mainly single player experiences, there is less FOMO for to me to have to have them day 1. So I would just wait.

Same goes for 3rd party exclusives. Take Final Fantasy Rebirth. Coming out in Feb. But in the latest trailer it clearly says the game won't be available on other platforms til at least end of May of this year. Can I wait 3 months or so to play it? Of course I can...especially because it will likely be a better experience and it might have the extra content like FFVII: Intergrade did with the Yuffie chapters.

Stellar Blade...coming to PC. Helldivers...on PC. Death Stranding 2...likely to come to PC. I mean...you get my point I think.
Yeah PC solves a lot of things. So this doesn't really effect you as it might others. Nor me to a degree. Unfortunately I dont want to return to PC, but thankfully I have the PS5 instead.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yeah PC solves a lot of things. So this doesn't really effect you as it might others. Nor me to a degree. Unfortunately I dont want to return to PC, but thankfully I have the PS5 instead.
I mean, yea then you're set. How I treat PC game purchases is pretty much exactly how you would do if and when Xbox brings their games to Playstation. It would be undoubtedly a huge win for Playstation only players.

BigLee74

Yeah, I’ll sell my Xbox in a huffy fit of what exactly? and render my 600 Xbox game library useless.

You need to stop making threads, you attention seeking whore!

Last edited:

Three

People who don't know yet that the console is probably going to drop support I'd imagine would buy it. Not everybody is on forums. Might actually be a good idea to do it before a next gen announcement if you don't plan to use it much until the next thing comes out. Price is going to drop significantly after that.

Last edited:

Crm114

I sold my Xbox slippers, Bathrobe and Blankee yesterday on Marketplace and booked my laser tattoo removal of Phil Spencer from my inner thigh. Fuck you Phil you broke my heart things will never be the same.

Last edited:
I think based on your question you are completely misunderstanding the rumors. Xbox opening up some of their games to multiplatform has nothing to do with ending support for the hardware. I just don’t understand the leap that you’re making. It doesn’t make sense.

Xbox has been putting their games on Switch for years now. They’re just expanding that to include more games. Sony has been putting major first party games on PC for years now.

The future that we’re going into whether people like it or not is that eventually certain games will no longer be tied to having to own a specific piece of hardware. That’s not something that’s going to last indefinitely, if you are paying attention to the trends, and the way that things are going.

Last edited:

splattered

Not saying Sony won't make games on xbox but "in return"? You seriously think MS would be doing Sony a favour by "allowing them" to release their games on xbox? Sony don't want to release their games on xbox. If they did MS would be there with open arms because it would be MS that benefit not Sony. Sony doesn't really need that small installbase.
No I was just being a smart ass

BouncyFrag

Is my collection of games going back to the OG Xbox somehow now unplayable on my current console? Silly thread is silly. Lol.

I will probably keep it as a momento of times past, when online console gaming hit its peak. The money i would spend on Xbox stuff i will probably invest into a better PC instead, cause i'm still rocking a GTX 970 here. I honestly don't understand how a company with so much capital, so much potential can just squander it all, especially after they had solid momentum coming off the back of the 360 and sure their game catalogue got stale toward the end of that gen but the next Xbox could've been real trouble for Sony if they did it again.

Alas, the VCR was born. It was the beginning of the end. The damage they did to their own brand was beyond any i had ever seen or have seen up to this point. Honestly looking at it, nothing could save them from that, the brand was marked for death at some point.

I'm thinking since they've been pushing this cloud nonsense so much lately that they're probably leaning towards a stream only box, so literally an OUYA at best and then license or "sell" their IP on PC, PS & Nintendo purely as a publisher. Not going to lie, doesn't change much for me other than force my hand at upgrading my PC.

Keep the XSX and use it only when first party games release (if they do on gamepass).

But right now it’s a Fortnite / palworld machine for the kids.

I did say fuck it and bought a ps5 slim digital though, I’ll be spending my money there going forward. I have a lot of first party titles to catch up on and sadly I know they will all be better than the first party games I’ve been playing on Xbox.

Alan Wake

I never sell my consoles or games. But it would certainly mean I would migrate towards PlayStation and start using my PS5 way more.than I have and buy all the multiplats there. That process has kind of already started for me.

I will keep my series X but I’m moving to PlayStation when the PS5 Pro ships.

The Xbox will sell significantly less next generation and even less the generation after that. It’s just a matter of time before Microsoft exits the console market.

30% will sell
I will keep my series X but I’m moving to PlayStation when the PS5 Pro ships.

The Xbox will sell significantly less next generation and even less the generation after that. It’s just a matter of time before Microsoft exits the console market.

Yes, the next Xbox is going to sell like half (15-20m) the Series at this rate of decline. After that they are done in hardware for sure.

Top Bottom