• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Owners: Do you plan to sell your Xbox if Microsoft goes the SEGA's route?

Will you sel your Xbox or...

• Yes, i will sell my Xbox

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • No i will keep my Xbox

Votes: 222 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BouncyFrag

I’m contemplating quitting gaming all together. Damn you MS.
bce6aa7a126262f297a8000675921d1a.gif

Ultra Donny

Haha no why would I?
The big question is why do I do when seris x is no longer suported, do xbox release a new console or do I get a PC, a handheld or a stationary.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Sell for what? For Funko pops?

Are there grown adults here? You guys can have either one or the other because your parents told you so? A gaming generation consists of having all of it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No worries, I try not to assume anyone is a fanboy here unless they are acting extreme. I own both too. Like you, I'm waiting for a hard confirmation so that if it happens, Series X will be my final Xbox console.

From what the rumors and articles recently sound like, their minor profits lately have been coming mostly from ABK, everything else is losing money, the people at the top of Xbox and the people at the top of MS are not agreeing on things, ARM is being considered for the future, the big push at MS now is A.I., the big push at Xbox is Gamepass everywhere, and both parties are wanting to make as much money as possible which would mean becoming more of a software-based company like Windows.

• They lost the battle on phone hardware.
  • They lost the battle on streaming.
  • They lost the battle on music storefronts.
  • They are very slowly being bled out from Apple when it comes to corporate office hardware needs.
  • They are losing the battle on PC gaming to Steam, Epic Games Store, and GoG.
  • They are losing the console hardware sales battle to Nintendo and Sony.
  • They are losing the console digital store sales due to untransferrable libraries between PS and Xbox(like Phil mentioned in that famous interview) which causes PS fans to stick to where their owned library is.

So I can understand if someone at MS is wanting to flip the table and make changes.

Thanks for the info.

Now I can see why they'd consider going third-party. If the Xbox platform is bleeding money then why continue with it?

If it does happen I just hope somebody comes in to fill the void left by the Xbox console.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why would someone sell an awesome console that you can play first party games on for £15?

It just doesn't make sense. Just run a monthly gamepass sub when you want.

Maybe its becuase I prefer quick resume and things like that, and can't understand why someone wouldnt love those features...I guess that's all it can be.

Aion002

Nope.

The Series S is an awesome console, it's small, quiet, can play old games via emulation and gamepass saves me a lot of money.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Funny how people are freaking out because MS is thinking of doing the same thing that Sony already does
You’re getting a lot of shit for this comment, but you’re dead right. It’s absurd.

Sony publishes games for Playstation.

Soon, MS will publish games for Playstation.

Same thing.

I’m on your side, buddy.

Sony

Nintendo
It depens on what added value Microsoft will give to people choosing to stay on their platform. I personally prefer the Xbox ecosystem, but if other that than that everything else is the same on PlayStation, then it's going to be a tough choice.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I was there day 1 for the XSX (November 2020), got tired of all the (broken) promises, abhorrent PR and lack of exclusives, after 2+ years of owning it, i only had pevious-gen games that i rebought for it (and that i previously had on my PS4 Pro), a couple of BC games and the usual gamepass fodder to show for my 500 Eurodollars investment, promises, goodwill and Backwards compatibility can only get you so far i'm afraid.

Exchanged it for a PS5 last February and i haven't looked back, why would i ? The PS5 has everything i want and then some.

It's a shame really since i spent good money on many physical and digital X360 backwards compatible games but...
Maybe i'll get a used XSX in the future again (when they'll inevitably drop to the 100+ Eurodollars mark) as to gain access to them again but, this is the last time i'm spending money on anything MS related.

You know what's the worst thing ? That they actually started really well this gen (BC, Quick resume, Play anywhere titles, Smart delivery) and gathered some goodwill but they somehow managed to spectacularly fuck it all up but...it was of their own doing, it's a textbook example of shooting your own foot.

I'm not happy for the whole shitshow that's unveiling before our eyes but i also can't say that i'm sorry, they have no one else to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It depens on what added value Microsoft will give to people choosing to stay on their platform. I personally prefer the Xbox ecosystem, but if other that than that everything else is the same on PlayStation, then it's going to be a tough choice.

Gamepass generates 2 billion a year. It’s worth keeping some form of physical Xbox around, even if it’s third party hardware just to collect that money.

Spyxos

Gold Member
No, why should I? Because of the Gamepass, I use the Xbox more than my Playstation right now. But would i buy a next gen Xbox? Probably not.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know there's some good blind faith if someone with a PS5 and Xbox wants to keep that console.

Unless it's because Hampass then I can reason with that. Better for Xbox to be agnostic and go the third party route at this point.

cireza

What matters to me is that they still make consoles and allow for physical games. Never had much interest for Game Pass and first party games.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
You know there's some good blind faith if someone with a PS5 and Xbox wants to keep that console.
Probably a real niche but a lot of people really liked the Xbox Series Consoles as media centre's and emulation consoles.

The web browser and app compatibility was great. I run Kodi on my XSX and it works flawlessly with all my addons.

As for emulation, the Series S especially was really simple to set up.

As far as I know no other console comes close in this regard.

SEGA is always ahead of the curve and Xbox; Be that bringing console games to PC, dropping your sports brand and then your consoles.
To be this good takes SEGA

ManaByte

Gold Member
I care more about the games than what box I play them on. As long as MS keeps Sea of Thieves and Halo going, the two games I play the most, I don't care where I play them. I play them equally on PC and console.

b0uncyfr0

Kinda 50/50 on this.

If I can play most of the games on the PS5, it makes sense to do so especially since they have better exclusives IMO.

But then i miss out , on all the cheap games I play on the X - I use key sites to get cheap keys all the time.

You cant do that on PS afaik. Truly a dillema..

ManaByte

Gold Member
There are some on Twitter that believe this isn't the end of Xbox and Microsoft will still release a next gen console.

Of course they'll release another console. MS still produces Surface laptops even though everyone wants a Macbook Pro.

You're also going to need a MS account for most of these games.

Three

I wouldn't buy one, but if you have one, you can still use it for gaming, can't you?
bar erroneous answers, the people answering yes genuinely are likely to be those who owned one to play the games they can't on their PS5 and no longer seeing a need to own both boxes.

Robb

Gold Member
No, but it does make it an easy skip next gen. I’d obviously rather own fewer boxes if I can, so Ps6 and “Switch 2” would be a very easy choice next gen in that case. Especially since my Xbox is solely a GamePass machine, so I’m not invested at all in the “ecosystem”.

King Dazzar

Whilst Xbox still has some ageing BC games I love, then unfortunately I'll have to keep my XSX. I've been wanting to get rid of it for some time, but it still has a couple of games that I wouldnt be happy losing access to.

Why would someone sell an awesome console that you can play first party games on for £15?

It just doesn't make sense. Just run a monthly gamepass sub when you want.

Maybe its becuase I prefer quick resume and things like that, and can't understand why someone wouldnt love those features...I guess that's all it can be.
To have one thing less, why have a console without exclusives, when it has absolutely nothing that sets it a part?

If you want the best gaming experience it's not on Xbox.(never was)

Why is Gamepass positive, why would I want to pay for a subscription on Xbox if I can get the "first party" games on PS. Without subscription I can ignore the xbox "first party" stinkers of late, if I would want them they will be quickly on deep discounts on PS Store.. where they would need to compete with actually good 1st party games.

Last edited:

SHA

I don't look at consoles objectively, let's be clear, if the next halo looks visually mediocre then it's officially a 3rd party game.

Edmund

I will clutch the series X close to my chest as I jump off the Microsoft headquarters building and yell "FUCK YOU PHIL SPENCER!!!!"

DaGwaphics

No, I really like the hardware and I have lots of older games on it, such as The Witcher 2. I suspect it'll be my last Xbox though, because it seems that Microsoft simply doesn't take games seriously.

I can't see a mass sell off. Those suggesting that forget that Xbox users have digital libraries they can't use anywhere else. The box doesn't lose its functionality just because MS brass lost their minds over there.

I agree that there will be no point in moving forward with the brand, but I'd keep an Xbox around until I can wean off to PC. A sad state of affairs since I really like consoles, but with the lack of competition Sony will be untenable. They've already raised the price for online play while removing all discounts for essentials and that's just from lowering competition, I can only imagine where they'll end up now. PC is really the only option going forward.

splattered

I wonder how everyone is gonna feel when it finally comes out that Sony is also going third party? Last great gift from Jim Ryan was his deal with Microsoft. "Fine, we will allow your games on our system if you promise to keep call of duty on Playstation. In return, we also would also like to put our games on Xbox to maximize our playerbase and profits" win win for both companies. Players get larger gaming pool on everything multiplayer. Yay we all win.

Roxkis_ii

Sell to who though? Xbox going thrid party is due in part to not enough people buying xbox in the first place.

If I had a Xbox, I would keep it regardles in hopes MS would support it to the end of the gen at least. It would also still have value for playing order games and emulation too.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
I will keep it. If they pull the plug they should refund like Google did with Stadia though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't see a mass sell off. Those suggesting that forget that Xbox users have digital libraries they can't use anywhere else. The box doesn't lose its functionality just because MS brass lost their minds over there.

I agree that there will be no point in moving forward with the brand, but I'd keep an Xbox around until I can wean off to PC. A sad state of affairs since I really like consoles, but with the lack of competition Sony will be untenable. They've already raised the price for online play while removing all discounts for essentials and that's just from lowering competition, I can only imagine where they'll end up now. PC is really the only option going forward.
Pretty much. I don't want to play on PC at all. But if that's how it all plays out, I think its pretty much the only option. Going PS only is not an option for me. If there is some kind of NextGen box with the MS store and PC stores with the form factor and ease of consoles, that's probably the best option for me, depending on price / performance. If not, I'll need some "PC gaming for retards" guide, but I imagine I'll figure it out eventually. Huge bummer for sure. Guess we'll see what happens.

BC and Game Pass were the reasons I bought a Series X in the first place, and I don’t see that being more attractive anywhere else. I think if I added up all my spend this gen I couldn’t even buy a decent gaming PC, so that option is out, and I don’t want to have to deal with that in my living room. I’ve been pretty happy with the Series X all things considered, just totally hassle-free for me which I value.
I also don’t really care for the PS franchises, just didn’t grow up with them like I did Xbox’s, and I really dislike the controller and ecosystem, so that isn’t really appealing either. Switch 2 is intriguing and I might pick that up, but the content there isn’t really comparable to Xbox. I just hope any new Xbox hardware has a disc drive option so I can play my old discs and watch Blu-Rays.

Bry0

Sold it back in the summer. Had a feeling this was coming. Only had it for back compat since I play on PC, but my friend gave me his OG Xbox and 360.

Why sell? It is still a great console.

But it would be my last xbox, which after their shit show of a release schedule it was already shaping up to be anyway.

midnightAI

There are some on Twitter that believe this isn't the end of Xbox and Microsoft will still release a next gen console.

They may well do but IF games are released day and date (or even within 6 months) on rival consoles then is GamePass really enough of a draw to get people to buy a new XBox? it isn't enough of a draw now and they don't currently release on rival consoles at all.

Not only that but if they see large profits on these rival consoles but very little/no profit from GamePass then why keep GamePass going? They are a business not a charity, that's why they are making these (rumoured) decisions now.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Pretty much. I don't want to play on PC at all. But if that's how it all plays out, I think its pretty much the only option. Going PS only is not an option for me. If there is some kind of NextGen box with the MS store and PC stores with the form factor and ease of consoles, that's probably the best option for me, depending on price / performance. If not, I'll need some "PC gaming for retards" guide, but I imagine I'll figure it out eventually. Huge bummer for sure. Guess we'll see what happens.

We'll have to see how it goes. Honestly, I can't see an open system with Steam/Epic/etc. working for MS, at least not without the hardware being a lot more expensive. Just because the MS game store can't compete with Steam, thus Steam would become the de facto store on the box which would make it difficult to justify going break-even on the hardware. And, if they go third-party (even if a bit delayed), I don't think the buyer trust will be there if they continued with something locked to their own store (at that point you could be just shoveling more bad money which will scare buyers). Steam is really the only PC store that could release a console like box (basically a more powerful Steamdeck) and be fine with it, just because even if you get other stores on there they know that 90% of the purchases will be on steam because that's just the way it works on PC.

It's all hypothetical at this point, time will tell.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We'll have to see how it goes. Honestly, I can't see an open system with Steam/Epic/etc. working for MS, at least not without the hardware being a lot more expensive. Just because the MS game store can't compete with Steam, thus Steam would become the de facto store on the box which would make it difficult to justify going break-even on the hardware. And, if they go third-party (even if a bit delayed), I don't think the buyer trust will be there if they continued with something locked to their own store (at that point you could be just shoveling more bad money in which will scare buyers). Steam is really the only PC store that could release a console like box (basically a more powerful Steamdeck) and be fine with it, just because even if you get other stores on there they know that 90% of the purchases will be on steam because that's just the way it works on PC.

It's all hypothetical at this point, time will tell.
Yeah, we'll see. MS store would obviously be secondary, but I still think they are at a minimum going to try and keep that going for mobile and this cloud future. But maybe not. Guess we'll see.

djjinx2

I only play CoD and Forza so my Series X will be plenty.

When PS5 is £200 I will get one and enjoy Uncharted and The Last Of Us again

Next Gen if everything was 3rd party then PS6 is a no brainer for me!

Sold my PS4 and haven't looked back. Time will tell what happens next!

Last edited:

blakdecaf

I was an early PS5 and Xbox Series X adopter, and sold the latter a year or so later. I was thinking of grabbing a Series S for the bedroom or something, but now I’ll hold fire.

PC + PS5 is the sweetspot now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom