• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X are are at least 50/50 in terms of install base in major territories

I just find it something of a shame we no longer regard consoles as being at the forefront of video games tech. Changing times I guess.
This sadly stopped being the case at the start of the last generation. On release, even the PS4 was basically a mid tier PC at best. The Xbox One was a joke. It was a stark contrast to the previous generation, where Xbox 360 could go toe to toe with the high end GPUs of its time (like the Geforce 7800 GT).

FunkMiller

This sadly stopped being the case at the start of the last generation. On release, even the PS4 was basically a mid tier PC at best. The Xbox One was a joke. It was a stark contrast to the previous generation, where Xbox 360 could go toe to toe with the high end GPUs of its time (like the Geforce 7800 GT).

Yep. A sad case of affairs. If PC gaming becomes more accessible to the couch potato gamer then console gaming will be in trouble. I suppose the mmodern consoles are really just goofed PCs anyway… but at what point do they just become totally redundant?

I get the impression MS half think that already…

Last edited:

NEbeast

200 million in revenue that cost them an extra 200 million to make, so it's hardly a massive miscalculation. It is however odd that Sony managed to build so many more units overall, perhaps they straight up bribed/paid more per unit to get priority in factories. If they did, its probably money well spent at this point.
"Bribed/paid" jesus, get a grip. Its called being market leader and MS clearly not making the sx a bigger priority.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
"Bribed/paid" jesus, get a grip. Its called being market leader and MS clearly not making the sx a bigger priority.

So you think ms didn't make manufacturing seties x/s a priority? That's laughable.
Market leader means that Sony gets extra units for free? Both are massive multi billion dollar corporations buying huge volumes.
Perhaps they got priority due to volume ordered, or perhaps they flat out paid more.
You have zero idea, internet warrior who thinks they know everything.

Graphics are easily scalable. It won't be an issue. The one thing that will happen is that towards the end of the gen, games might look pretty rough on the XSS.
It also has to be stated all of the XCloud games will be running on the XSX blades. So games will still use the higher end spec with regard to development. The XSS will always be the lower graphical option and as long as people don't care about 4K resolutions it will be more than capable of running any of the games this generation. It has the same hardware features and CPU as the other consoles. Any talk about 'holding the generation back' are total nonsense.

It also has to be stated all of the XCloud games will be running on the XSX blades. So games will still use the higher end spec with regard to development. The XSS will always be the lower graphical option and as long as people don't care about 4K resolutions it will be more than capable of running any of the games this generation. It has the same hardware features and CPU as the other consoles. Any talk about 'holding the generation back' are total nonsense.
That's the beauty of Gamepass, even if down the line your XSS graphics start to bother you, you can just stream the game from an XSX. Problem solved.

NEbeast

So you think ms didn't make manufacturing seties x/s a priority? That's laughable.
Market leader means that Sony gets extra units for free? Both are massive multi billion dollar corporations buying huge volumes.
Perhaps they got priority due to volume ordered, or perhaps they flat out paid more.
You have zero idea, internet warrior who thinks they know everything.
Damn. You're so salty you missed the point. You hit on it a little bit but you still didn't get it. If MS made the SX the priority then surely it would have sold more than the series s. I'm not sure what your argument is .

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Damn. You're so salty you missed the point. You hit on it a little bit but you still didn't get it. If MS made the SX the priority then surely it would have sold more than the series s. I'm not sure what your argument is .

The point was ps5's being made at a higher volume than series X and S combined.

Top Bottom