• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I use Apple TV and it is the same. Intolerable. What I do is load the video on my iPad with Adblock, and airplay to my Apple TV. I don’t have my LG wifi enabled, but could you do something similar directly to the TV?

Shake, it doesn't work for me friend, i have Revanced on my Android phone and when i cast to my TV/PS5 i still get the ads
Probably your best option is to use Pi-Hole.
This will block ads for your entire network. So for every TV, console, PC, phones, etc.
It won't void the warranty on our TV, because you are not installing modified roms and hacks.
And if you buy a new Tv inthe future, it will still work.
The problem is that it has some cost, and it requires a bit of knowledge. But there are plenty of video guides that make it much easier.

Thanks Win but...that's too much of a hassle for me :(

winjer

Gold Member
Shake, it doesn't work for me friend, i have Revanced on my Android phone and when i cast to my TV/PS5 i still get the ads

Thanks Win but...that's too much of a hassle for me :(

Take a look at used sales sites in your area, there are people selling these, already configured.
Just make sure it's a reputable seller.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Probably your best option is to use Pi-Hole.
This will block ads for your entire network. So for every TV, console, PC, phones, etc.
It won't void the warranty on our TV, because you are not installing modified roms and hacks.
And if you buy a new Tv inthe future, it will still work.
The problem is that it has some cost, and it requires a bit of knowledge. But there are plenty of video guides that make it much easier.

Can you come over to my house and set up a pi-hole for me.

winjer

Gold Member
I have a Unifi Dream machine pro and I know I can do it on there, I am just nervous about it. I would actually do a video call though and get some help.

I'll be honest. I don't have a Pi-Hole.
I never watch TV. And my PC has Ublock, and a few other apps for safety and privacy.
On my phone, I have a custom rom, with a DNS that blocks some ads. I use Kiwi browser with Ublock. And I use youtube revanced.
So I don't really need something like Pi-Hole. I considered it some time ago, but then I remembered i don't really need it.

SiahWester

So sad. I can remember before YouTube was acquired by Google. They took out the "You" and it became a megaphone for corporations in no time. Then they started banning "conspiracy theories", dissent, " sensitive content". It just keeps getting more and more absurd.

The algorithms suck too. They want to force feed me nothing but politics. I have to go through my subscriptions list to find anything that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out.

Last edited:

Dural

Pi-hole isn't great for blocking Youtube ads. I have it on my Unraid server and it works great for most things, but can be a pain if you use websites like slickdeals. It blocks pretty much all links from Slickdeals, constantly have to whitelist. I got fed up and turned it off (this was Christmas time so I was on Slickdeals a lot). I have Sponsorblockcast running on the server to jump past the in video ads but that has stopped working, not sure what's up with that.

Tams

OK lads, is there a way to block the ads on a LG OLED running WebOS ?
It's literally unwatchable , I got presented with a...45 seconds ad just yesterday.

Also, wanna watch a video ? here's 2 ads back to back, wanna skip/FF 2-3 minutes on the same video? Here's another couple.of ads, shit's just frustrating, they rendered the whole thing unusable ffs.

I took a look online but it's mostly trash/spam sites mentioning "update your webOS TV" 🤣🤣

Thanks

Get an Android TV (FireOS one will also do).

LordOfChaos

Ah man, seems like all the adblockers are on a real strugglebus and arms race now, wasn't impacting me much before now. A few getting through on me and my family's systems, some don't play but you still have to click skip

Smarttube is still great on an Android TV device as far as I can tell, but desktop browsers are now struggling

Last edited:

IAmRei

i think the work around is buying cheap laptop, connected it on tv, and play it with brave or adblocker, at least its auto skip with adblocker. and the ads just few seconds black screen.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
i think the work around is buying cheap laptop, connected it on tv, and play it with brave or adblocker, at least its auto skip with adblocker. and the ads just few seconds black screen.
Can brave just run on a streaming stick with the same effect?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So sad. I can remember before YouTube was acquired by Google. They took out the "You" and it became a megaphone for corporations in no time. Then they started banning "conspiracy theories", dissent, " sensitive content". It just keeps getting more and more absurd.

The algorithms suck too. They want to force feed me nothing but politics. I have to go through my subscriptions list to find anything that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out.
All I've got is stuff from World War II - I've never once a million years given it any indication that I'm the slightest bit interested yet its full of shit about Hitler and Germany invading Poland etc and tank battles.

Like where in a bag of fucks has it come up with that from?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
After a couple of months of slow YouTube, I am reporting that all is normal and ads are continued to being blocked. Although... I can't say which blocker is doing the trick. I have several. Lol. I don't get ads or delays or black screens, zero ads and videos as if ads didn't exist. Not a brag. Maybe I can list my blockers, after.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

I use AdBlock Pro, clear cache often, sign out of YouTube and use in private mode. Only way it works for me.

Artoris

Gold Member
All I've got is stuff from World War II - I've never once a million years given it any indication that I'm the slightest bit interested yet its full of shit about Hitler and Germany invading Poland etc and tank battles.

Like where in a bag of fucks has it come up with that from?
Does one of your family members watch this

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn. I got lucky, I’m still grandfathered into the $7/mo google music (that eventually turned into YouTube premium) from like 10 years ago. I haven’t seen YouTube ads in a decade. It always catches me off guard when someone shows me a video on their phone and it has a bunch of ads. That shit sucks.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I was fine with a ~20s ad or a couple ~10s ones but when I click on a 16s video and get an unskippable 35s ad I start to lose patience. Unfortunately I use the YT app on my LG OLED most of the time so I'm kinda stuck with it for now.

I could just get YT Premium but I just don't want to in principal. I think £12.99 is a bit steep for most folks for YT and I don't wanna be strong-armed into it with their excessive ads. If the ads were more reasonably laid out and the price was £7.99 I'd be quite happy to cough up.

Contrary to their tactics, making the ads even worse kinda just makes me wanna dig in more. I know I'm one person and no one really cares but you gotta stick to ya guns sometimes.

Same goes for streaming services, if more of them (and studios) offered high quality physical media releases as a premium alternative for more of their content I'd actually be inclined to support both as a matter of principal. But if they just hold everything hostage on there in their walled-garden with shit transfers, poor masters/encodes, a lack of censorship-resistance and a license that can be revoked at any point then I won't give them anything; and if I really wanna see something I'll "acquire" a full quality mux elsewhere. Though as soon as they do offer a physical release; for which I'd be happy to pay a premium, then I'll be there.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I was fine with a ~20s ad or a couple ~10s ones but when I click on a 16s video and get an unskippable 35s ad I start to lose patience. Unfortunately I use the YT app on my LG OLED most of the time so I'm kinda stuck with it for now.

What grinds my gears is when I skip forward maybe ten minutes in a video and I instantly get new ads because of it. Has forced me to watch youtube only on my iPad and computer.

I could just get YT Premium but I just don't want to in principal. I think £12.99 is a bit steep for most folks for YT and I don't wanna be strong-armed into it with their excessive ads. If the ads were more reasonably laid out and the price was £7.99 I'd be quite happy to cough up.

I was very happy for the Youtube Premium Lite subscription which only got rid of ads, but was reasonably priced. Unfortunately they got rid of it a few months ago and I can't motivate the Premium price tag. It also feels like I'll never on principle pay them again now.

Audiophile

Gold Member
What grinds my gears is when I skip forward maybe ten minutes in a video and I instantly get new ads because of it. Has forced me to watch youtube only on my iPad and computer.

Yeah, that's really annoying. Another is if I accidentally exit or change page during a video after just seeing ads (happens a lot on my TV with the laggy magic remote), then I jump back in at the same spot and I get a full round of ads all over again.

Here in Europe i can still use adblock and brave to view all youtube video's. I actually use my macbook via hdmi on my tv because the app is unusable with all the ads. If i am unable to use that anymore then it is goodbye youtube...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unlock origin working for me on PC still as well.

And have SmartTube on my Firestick. Crying shame they don’t have an app on LG.

Fuck YouTube.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Ublock Origin on the desktop and Revanced on mobile, are working well.
At lest on desktop, I noticed that how much youtube buffers depends on resolution. For example, at 1080p, it buffers around 45s, but at 4K it buffers around 12s.
My internet connect is fast and I'm using RJ45, so I have little to no problems with lag. But I can see this being a problem for people with slower connections.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Android:

Android TV:

Everything else:

Any device that cannot run the above three apps:
Don't watch Youtube on that device

Sleepwalker

Android:

Android TV:

Everything else:

Any device that cannot run the above three apps:
Don't watch Youtube on that device

Bookmarked for when my indian youtube sub expires.

nkarafo

YouTube is really weird for me, i use Ublock but YouTube runs so slowly and clunky.
In what way?

The UI is getting slower and clunkier as time goes by and Youtube bloats the shit out of it either way. I also use ublock but disabling it doesn't make it any faster.

Sybrix

In what way?

The UI is getting slower and clunkier as time goes by and Youtube bloats the shit out of it either way. I also use ublock but disabling it doesn't make it any faster.

I click on a video, page loads but the video is black, sound is playing but no picture for a few seconds, if i click or scroll on the page it takes a few seconds to move, very laggy.

nkarafo

I click on a video, page loads but the video is black, sound is playing but no picture for a few seconds, if i click or scroll on the page it takes a few seconds to move, very laggy.
Can't say i have experienced this particular behavior.

Maybe some other addon is causing this? Make sure you don't mix adblockers, some addons may have their own, like Youtube Enhancer. ublock needs to be the only one active.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Brave browser + built-in Brave blockers + VPN, and I've had no ads or buffering on YouTube. I don't run YT in a private window.

Not sure why I've been spared from Google's disincentives.

Top Bottom