• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube: "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube". Bad news

winjer

Gold Member
For people having trouble with youtube buffering and pausing, try changing the Windows CongestionProvider Protocol to BBR2.

To see what protocol is being used currently, open PowerShell and run this command.

Get-NetTCPSetting | Select SettingName, CongestionProvider

Most people will have it as "Cubic"

To change to BRB2, use these commands with an elevated privileges (admin) in powershell:
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Internet CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Datacenter CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Compat CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=DatacenterCustom CongestionProvider=bbr2
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=InternetCustom CongestionProvider=bbr2

If, for any reason, you need to go to the previous settings, use this:
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Internet CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Datacenter CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=Compat CongestionProvider=NewReno
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=DatacenterCustom CongestionProvider=CUBIC
netsh int tcp set supplemental Template=InternetCustom CongestionProvider=CUBIC

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Bad news. Youtube is now going after third party apps that block ads.

We’re strengthening our enforcement on third-party apps that violate YouTube’s Terms of Service, specifically ad-blocking apps.

Viewers who are using these third-party apps may experience buffering issues or see the error “The following content is not available on this app” when trying to watch a video. We want to emphasize that our terms don’t allow third-party apps to turn off ads because that prevents the creator from being rewarded for viewership, and Ads on YouTube help support creators and let billions of people around the world use the streaming service. We also understand that some people prefer an entirely ad-free experience, which is why we offer YouTube Premium.

We only allow third-party apps to use our API when they follow our API Services Terms of Service, and when we find an app that violates these terms, we will take appropriate action to protect our platform, creators, and viewers.

• Rob, TeamYouTube

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been using firefox + ublock origin and safari + adguard for safari and it's smooth sailing except sometimes on safari I have to reload to get video to run.

But I'm also on Europe and maybe that's shielding me of some of the worst anti adblock tech? I can't know.

Spyxos

Gold Member
How does that get determined? Does YouTube decide or the creator?
I can't remember where exactly I heard this, but a youtuber said that youtube suggests an extremely large number of adverts every few minutes. But the youtuber can adjust it afterwards. Most people probably don't do it.

Top Bottom