• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Game And Watch Review

The Zelda Game And Watch came down to $29 at Best Buy a couple days ago, so as a Zelda fan I figured I’d give it a chance.
When it was first revealed, I had no urge to buy one as I’m not really a collector, my 3ds could play all the games it came with (I only care about Links Awakening to be honest and its not even the Gameboy color DX version), and it was too expensive for what it was.

Now that I recieved it here is my thoughts.
If you love any of the games on it, Zelda, Zelda 2, or Links Awakening, and liked the Gameboy micro system, get this!

It’s prettier in person, the screen os SO CLEAR (reminds me of the gameboy micro clarity), sound quality is fantastic, and the buttons aren’t clicky which Im happy about. Its a color screen too but its too bad it doesnt have the dx version of Links Awakening.
its pretty nice in the stand. For $29, as a dedicated Links Awakening player and a novelty, its a great buy. At $50 though, meh.

just thought I’d give some impressions for those on the fence.
XYnGqsf.jpg

Synless

I plan to pick up a second to leave sealed. its a sweet little novelty device.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Pretty cool, 30 bucks is a good price, but its mostly for Links Awakening superfans and collectors.

Which Zeldas are on it? I assumed just the original but going by the screenshot, those are definitely newer graphics than NES. Do you have the Super Mario Bros one too?

The buttons seem very low. Is it comfortable to play for extended periods of time?
Yeah I had no trouble playing it for about 30min straight. And its really light.

Which Zeldas are on it? I assumed just the original but going by the screenshot, those are definitely newer graphics than NES. Do you have the Super Mario Bros one too?
1,2 and Links Awakening. I don't have the mario bros one no. I don’t actively play the NES marios or the NES Zeldas but I do play Links Awakening to this day so thats what pushed me to buy this and get actual use out of it. Also, it really is the best bedside table clock for a Zelda fan.
BDHooeB.jpg

SCB3

Pretty cool, 30 bucks is a good price, but its mostly for Links Awakening superfans and collectors.
Yea only reason I own one and the Mario one

Also I like the stand for it, but I wish it was plastic instead of Cardboard

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have the Zelda one. I think it offers more than the Mario version but I also want the Mario one and I wonder if you can put firmware on it ? It’s would make a great game boy/nes portable player. The screen is lovely.

Last edited:
I bought this on release and I love it. The buttons feel great. Screen is tiny and looks great but as a result text and UI stuff is very small for my eyes, still mostly legible for me without glasses though. It's overall very good quality, i'm pretty impressed by it. Might buy a couple more at that price just to hold on to.

Would like to see them make more like this. Hopefully they make one with the Kirby games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got it when it released - it's been on my desk at work (in clock mode) since I got it. Occasionally I'll boot up one of the games and play it - don't tell my boss.

Codes 208

Title probably couldve used a LttP since this thing is over a year old now. I got mine two christmases ago. Overall i like it, though i definitely wouldve preferred DX over OG regarding Link’s Awakening.

Yeah I had no trouble playing it for about 30min straight. And its really light.

1,2 and Links Awakening. I don't have the mario bros one no. I don’t actively play the NES marios or the NES Zeldas but I do play Links Awakening to this day so thats what pushed me to buy this and get actual use out of it. Also, it really is the best bedside table clock for a Zelda fan.
BDHooeB.jpg
Thank you for the info. If only it had Link to the past. That'd be dope.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have the Mario one and have never opened it. I thought about getting this one, but ultimately decided not to.

is switch links awakening or GB links awakening the better game?

I played through like 80% of the game on gb as a kid, interested in replaying but if the superior version is on switch ill just go there.

granted i might just get this for zelda 2 because its an awesome game

Last edited:
is switch links awakening or GB links awakening the better game?

I played through like 80% of the game on gb as a kid, interested in replaying but if the superior version is on switch ill just go there.

granted i might just get this for zelda 2 because its an awesome game
I’m actually playing both together at the moment. I play a dungeon on GB first then the Switch immediately after to get the added effect of “wow look how this looks and has been updated,”. Its a really fun way to play them like that.

Of course the Switch remake has the updated graphics and the quality of life enhancements like the shield being tied to the R button instead of taking up a slot on your selected equipment whereas the GB version only has 2 buttons so you constantly have to pause the game and switch your equipped items.

I’m having a blast playing both though. The music of the GB version to me is more pronounced and clearer whereas the Switch version is more background and lighter. But if you can only go with one version, I’d go with the Switch.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Nice looking little device, I'd get it if I didn't already have a modded (backlight) OG Game Boy to play Link's Awakening on.

And I'm glad that it isn't the DX version. The original is greatly superior. It's better to have a monochrome gradient palette than to have only a few colors at a time... it felt richer, because you can mentally interpret a wider range of expression, instead of basically having CGA with just a few colors dominating at a time. For me it's like being asked to watch a classic black-and-white film, but restored with only 4 colors on screen at a time... such an objective loss of quality and original intent.

wondermega

Always thought these were neat, and semi-intended to pick one up someday, but never got around to it (seems like more clutter). I'd really like to try the OG Zelda Game & Watch however (I can't imagine it is too wonderful, but I am a sucker for those things). If they'd gone with a DS unit style I might have been more inclined to grab this.. anyway if I ever see it for $20 maybe I will grab it.

Top Bottom