• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

What!? Lol. Have you ever played a turn based rpg ? It’s nothing but strategy 😂🤣
I’ve played and own literally hundreds, and there is no strategy. You take 4 or 5 characters and use the same abilities every battle, with slight changes for undead and elemental enemies, where you choose healing or the opposite element.
I’ve played RPG’s since the 80’s, and very few ever had actual strategy.

Know what has strategy? DMC.

That's Xbox 360 era lighting/shading right there.
It’s actually midevil lighting, because anyone that understands history knows there was no indoor lighting. IF they are truly going with that aesthetic, then that’s pretty accurate. The only lights most had were fireplaces. Candles were too expensive, totches too dangerous, so the only light was the fire. Lanterns only came much later. Hence why their whole home lives were based around “the fireplace”

Im not sure that was their intention here, but it’s pretty accurate that the only lighting would be from the sun.

Just a little history.

Teletraan1

Banned
4A6eBYu.png
All of the QTE moves have the name Cinematic __________.

Sure, but it certainly never looks anything close to a ps3 game, and at no point should those opinions be treated as valid.
I'm in the same ballpark. People haven't been playing 7th gen consoles lately to make that statement. The game looks incredible for the most part, same problem I had with a few places in FF7 Remake, albeit Square stated they aren't using either Unreal or Luminous Creations for this game.

Yes, that screenshot represents the pinnacle of PS3 graphics.
It’s close
I'm not sure how it works, but can YouTube comments be moderated to be only positive? :pie_confused: Because all I can see from comments in the SoP video is praise.

Btw, the game looks terrific.
Nah, aside from GAF people are very high on this game.
Yes, they have this very nice soft shadowing system in the forest scenes but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere else for some reason.

This already happened with FFXIII. It used PS2-era techniques for its rendering (at a much higher quality level of course) so it looked dated at release compared to games that used a more advanced rendering paradigm.
Ummm, no. When FFXIII released, one of thr only things praised at the time was its graphics. The game was awful, but looked incredible when it released.
Both are same to me.

Sister projects, made by same developers, with similar budget, sensibilities and overall quality.
Literally completely different developers and teams. Astounding ignorance.
You have shit taste in combat, period.
Yes, because DMC is known for shit combat. Sure…..

No environmental destruction or foliage physics bothers me. A little too high fantasy for me but the music and effects look good I guess?
Wait, do you know what High Fantasy is? It’s mid evil fantasy, which is the opposite of high fantasy.

Also, why would anyone want destructible environments in FF?

Teletraan1

Banned
Eww it’s way more DMC like than I was thinking. I was hoping it was more like the last game with “fake” action but this has a blocking, a quick doge and real 1:1 attacks . 🤢
Even better you get to beat on enemies for a while because they are absolute sponges. I just find it hilarious that they are chasing an audience that is even smaller than the one they threw away. The DMC games are great and all but they sold a fraction of what older Final Fantasy did. If you compare sales from 2001 on even a failing FF was outselling DMC. The highest selling DMC game is 5 at around 6 million on the PS3/x360. Even the lackluster XIII during that time period doubled it in sales. It has DMC combat is not the huge selling point people think it is otherwise the actual DMC games or games like Bayonetta would have elevated themselves above being nothing more than a niche. I love those games but the combat they offer doesn't even sell their own games.

Honey Bunny

I’ve played and own literally hundreds, and there is no strategy. You take 4 or 5 characters and use the same abilities every battle, with slight changes for undead and elemental enemies, where you choose healing or the opposite element.

Don't pretend character action games are strategic by this standard either. You can get through them with a couple of combos and abilities too.

Man, watching these fights is tiring. Every few seconds he's pulling off stunts that look like a fight ending special, but it takes a fraction of the mobs health bar.

Personally, I think it's kinda neat that they're given in-game lore (rings you can equip) rather than just toggle switches in a menu. I do wonder though if these will use up "equipment slots" that could otherwise be used for better gear, if you were better at playing the game.
That's actually exactly what it is. Those 3 accessory slots can be used with stuff you buy or find in the world. At pax east they showed an accessory that reduces the cool down on one of Garuda's abilities specifically. So my thoughts is that using the timely accessories is going to limit how much you can do with your build.

It's a good balance to reward the higher level players that don't use those timely accessories, by allowing them to fill out their equipment with useful things.

skit_data

Gonna watch this when I get back home, watched it briefly on my phone before leaving this morning but decided to not destroy my impression by watching it on a small screen.

I’m a little disappointed it seemingly took out all turn based elements and went for a complete action RPG approach (I think the mixture of the two worked flawlessly in FF7R) but with the Pixel Remasters approaching release it doesn’t really bother me. Just have to approach it more like a action-RPG instead, which is a nice genre.

Klosshufvud

FF12 IS a grounded and medieval looking setting. Literary has the same Art Director as well. What did you even play?

The only difference is that Ivalice has more races.

And if you're referring to when it goes from political drama to full alien for the last hour at the end. I'm almost 90% sure that's going to happen here as well knowing the team and the hints already given.
The only difference? The ONLY difference? That's an invalid statement. I should remind you what the very intro of FF12 (was in the trailers) looked like

Look how it instantly hits you with fantasy architecture, fantasy races, fantasy machinery and fantasy customs. There is no mistaking this as a true Final Fantasy game from the very first few seconds of the intro. It also helps that Akihiko Yoshida (the character artist in FF12) makes instantly recognizeable characters. The intro also shows off magitek and flying machines of war that are fueled by it.

When FF16 was first revealed, some even doubted if it was a real mainline FF game. The Chocobos were there but everything else looked so out of line compared to what the series had previously demonstrated in its promotional material. And even if the art director is the same, the teams are completely different with different directors/producers and different management at the top with a different vision.

The producer has even stated they've intentionally toned down some aspects as to appeal to western casual audiences more. So I have no idea why what I'm saying is considered controversial when the very top is also claiming.

The fuck? Yoko Shimamura gang bout to thow down.

Also the combat still looks like a total shit show. There's soooo much going on. And you can just auto dodge with no penalty? Snooze.
The penalty is not being able to use that accessory slot for something useful(i.e. an accessory that reduces cool down on an ability or adds strength/defense). If you don't want to auto dodge, don't use the accessory that gives you auto dodge.

Lmao nier automata had the same type of stuff(via chips) and I never heard any complaints about it.

lyan

If I want to play DMC or any other action game, I'll go play that.

If I want a JRPG, I won't be playing FF16 that's for sure.
It's totally OK to not like / be interested in this game but you've got some strange behavior here.
Like a JRPG fan saying he will not play Like a Dragon because the past games are a beat'em up.

mopspear

People who say a game looks like a PS3 game (or a game looks like a Flash game) haven't played either of those things in at least 10 years and don't remember what they actually look like.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder what the sales expectations are on this game. What do you think Gaf? What do you think Square needs/wants it to be to be considered a success and what would Gaf consider successful for the franchise?

I wonder if this change in direction pays off.

I wonder what the sales expectations are on this game. What do you think Gaf? What do you think Square needs/wants it to be to be considered a success and what would Gaf consider successful for the franchise?

I wonder if this change in direction pays off.
Sales have stayed fairly similar for decades, unless I'm totally mistaken. I believe they've all been between 10-15 million for mainline entries since FFVII.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not really interested in the game because I don't like this nu-combat system in FF (XV and 7R), but this game looks amazing graphically. It looks next-gen compared to Forspoken which JUST came out (more like Forgotten lmao). Everything looks like a huge step up from FFXV. It looks like it is going to be a hit, and, let's be honest, after the Redfall 30fps stuff this week, Sony gets "another one".

Last edited:

hyperbertha

It’s close

Nah, aside from GAF people are very high on this game.

Ummm, no. When FFXIII released, one of thr only things praised at the time was its graphics. The game was awful, but looked incredible when it released.

Literally completely different developers and teams. Astounding ignorance.

Yes, because DMC is known for shit combat. Sure…..
Dmc is for combo memorizing idiots. Ff7 remake and sekiro has far better combat systems. Dmc is for rank whores that try to one up previous style ratings through pointless combos that have zero gameplay implications.

Needlecrash

WOW. I'm seriously impressed. The combat looks fucking INSANE. The mature setting of the game speaks to me too, as an older Final Fantasy fan. I see the Eikons fighting each other..... I'm getting serious 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) vibes 🔥🔥🔥😵. DAY ONE.

season 2 manga GIF by Funimation

decisions

Dmc is for combo memorizing idiots. Ff7 remake and sekiro has far better combat systems. Dmc is for rank whores that try to one up previous style ratings through pointless combos that have zero gameplay implications.

“Creativity is pointless”. Hopefully no one actually agrees with that.

And DMC also has high-difficulty based challenge on higher difficulties, it’s really the complete package for any action game fan.

hyperbertha

“Creativity is pointless”. Hopefully no one actually agrees with that.

And DMC also has high-difficulty based challenge on higher difficulties, it’s really the complete package for any action game fan.
What creativity? Finding some predetermined combo permutation that anyone can arrive at through sheer randomness oh gee.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That HUD is something else.

I must be getting old could I could easily handle Bayonettas HUD when games were ~720p and a bunch of chaos going on.
But in this game i keep getting lost at whats going on.
Im guessing its much easier to understand when you are actually playing.

P.S
The Ifrit vs Phoenix fight had some slow downs still or is that just Youtube?

decisions

What creativity? Finding some predetermined combo permutation that anyone can arrive at through sheer randomness oh gee.

You sound like you have never even tried playing the game before. DMC doesn’t have a traditional combo-based system like most action games, this is like its whole thing. Instead it has a large number of different attacks and you can string these together however possible using the enemy’s physics, stun properties, environment, etc.

It is literally not pre-determined. Near-infinite ways to skin the cat in DMC. Sekiro is a great game but the “perfect” performance is clearly defined.

hyperbertha

You sound like you have never even tried playing the game before. DMC doesn’t have a traditional combo-based system like most action games, this is like its whole thing. Instead it has a large number of different attacks and you can string these together however possible using the enemy’s physics, stun properties, environment, etc.

It is literally not pre-determined. Near-infinite ways to skin the cat in DMC. Sekiro is a great game but the “perfect” performance is clearly defined.
Combo = string of different attacks. You have to change weapons mid string to keep the style rating going. It's by definition a limited number of strings/combos.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It’s actually midevil lighting, because anyone that understands history knows there was no indoor lighting. IF they are truly going with that aesthetic, then that’s pretty accurate. The only lights most had were fireplaces. Candles were too expensive, totches too dangerous, so the only light was the fire. Lanterns only came much later. Hence why their whole home lives were based around “the fireplace”

Im not sure that was their intention here, but it’s pretty accurate that the only lighting would be from the sun.

Just a little history.

And the lighting from the sun looks terrible. The engine they are using lighting and SSAO looks extremely dated. Just like the lighting and SSAO in Halo Infinite looks dated with that terrible Slipspace Engine.

decisions

Combo = string of different attacks. You have to change weapons mid string to keep the style rating going. It's by definition a limited number of strings/combos.

Maybe, you could change guns, styles, perfect dodge, taunt, or DT instead. The number of possibilities is limited, but that doesn’t mean it’s not creative. Are all instruments
actually not creative because the number of choices on them are limited?

Last edited:

lyan

Careful there, this mindset can reduce most if not all non-pvp games out there as they ultimately consist only of finite options and situations.

Nautilus

Banned

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Mr.Phoenix

This is a flawed argument.

Game A has 2 weapons with 50 moves each. Game B has 5 weapons with 20 moves each. Both totals 100 moves.

With game A, the point is just to dispatch your enemies. So you find a move set that works per enemy type and stick to it.In game B, there is an added focus on dispatching enemies in style, encouraging you t use multiple weapons and multiple move sets.

Dismissing one because `you have to change weapons`, which you forgot to add happens dynamically on the fly is a disingenuous argument to make. Your ability to switch between those weapons is literally part of the gameplay, creativity or challenge.

I would suggest, that if you don't like something, it may be better and easier to just say... ok, I am out, this isn't for me. No one can argue with that or fault you for that, but when you try and justify said position with baseless meaningless claims, well... posts like these happen.

hyperbertha

This is a flawed argument.

Game A has 2 weapons with 50 moves each. Game B has 5 weapons with 20 moves each. Both totals 100 moves.

With game A, the point is just to dispatch your enemies. So you find a move set that works per enemy type and stick to it.In game B, there is an added focus on dispatching enemies in style, encouraging you t use multiple weapons and multiple move sets.

Dismissing one because `you have to change weapons`, which you forgot to add happens dynamically on the fly is a disingenuous argument to make. Your ability to switch between those weapons is literally part of the gameplay, creativity or challenge.

I would suggest, that if you don't like something, it may be better and easier to just say... ok, I am out, this isn't for me. No one can argue with that or fault you for that, but when you try and justify said position with baseless meaningless claims, well... posts like these happen.
You should have ended before the very last senetence. There is nothing wrong with my post. Game b literally adds NO DEPTH from game A, unless you consider jerking off to numbers gameplay depth.

Is this Tread that paying to remove a third party game from a console is a good thing?!

You've known about this game and it being a PS5 exclusive for almost three years and choose two months before release to complain about it being exclusive?

Also when was FF XVI "removed" from Xbox? Have you people actually seen the sales of FF XIII and XV on Xbox? And you still think SE would prioritize Xbox as a platform after that?

Just living in delusion and a salt-filled sea of cope looks like.

Madflavor

I haven't decided what's more amazing. The look of the combat, or the fact that there are still FF Fans to this day that complain about no Turn Based Combat, despite the fact the series hasn't been turn based since the end of the Clinton Administration.

Reactions: Fbh

Go_Ly_Dow

You've known about this game and it being a PS5 exclusive for almost three years and choose two months before release to complain about it being exclusive?

Also when was FF XVI "removed" from Xbox? Have you people actually seen the sales of FF XIII and XV on Xbox? And you still think SE would prioritize Xbox as a platform after that?

Just living in delusion and a salt-filled sea of cope looks like.

Yup, looking at Resi 4 sales breakdown for the UK, one of the few territories where Xbox sells in any notable amount:
According to the latest UK market data from GSD and Gfk, as reported by GamesIndustry.biz, 65% of all sales of Resident Evil 4 (both physical and digital) were on PlayStation platforms, with 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC in March.

FF has less of an audience on Xbox, so you're probably looking at 10-15% extra sales. For that, you'd have to develop for 2 extra platforms, making development more challenging and costly, including the Series S which seems like a bit of pain and forgo the Sony $$$. Plus S-E has a poor relationship with MS due to multiple factors. Makes business sense why it skips the platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom