• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

reezoo

Looks good but now every final fantasy should also be ranked on they cringy-ness scale. Is it going to ff10 level cringy? Or ff12 level? I see chocobos are still a thing, that alone adds 3 cringyness points :(.

Madflavor

Looks good but now every final fantasy should also be ranked on they cringy-ness scale. Is it going to ff10 level cringy? Or ff12 level? I see chocobos are still a thing, that alone adds 3 cringyness points :(.

I mean if it's the same writer who did Heavensward, and made by the team behind FFXIV, I expect the cringe levels to be quite low.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

How tf do chocobo add "cringe"? They are just chickens the size of horses. They aren't even all that cutesy either. Next you are going to say that Marlboros and Cactuars are cringe and shouldn't be in a final fantasy game.

SABRE220

Why? Some elements do look modern, like particles and some effects, but the lighting looks super poor, I don't see why it's so controversing to say that.
Depending on the scene from that video, FF XV sometimes look like one or two generations above, so yes I think that's weird.

51810219451_52b9cfde7d_o_d.jpg

The lighting here is just way above anything I've seen in XVI.
Again, I'm not saying XVI will be bad, I can enjoy a game without crazy graphics, but that doesn't mean we're not allowed to do talk about the graphics themselves on the side.
Dont you know ...youre not allowed to criticize anything, youre a hater or graphics whore if you do. That being said the game is visually inconsistent some things are great but the lighting and lack of granular detail kills it. This picture just makes me sad as It made me remember how impressive ff15 was on pc with its lighting.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They follow the path of Assassins' creed. They completely changed the genre of the game. I wish they had made a sequel of 12th game, it was the best final fantasy and it was modern enough. If I wanted to play a single player action game, against bullet sponge enemies, I don't know if I would play final fantasy. It looks very nice but I don't know.

Fredrik

I think the game looks fine. There’s just too much emphasis on combat for my taste, but it doesn’t look like a bad game by any means.
Yeah that’s my take too. If I see it as a new action game with RPG elements it seems fine, even great. But if I see it as a RPG first and foremost then the RPG elements seems less important than how much of a ”git gud” gamer I am going by this showcase.
I’ll play it and judge it by myself anyhow like I always do. Elden Ring is very action focused as well and it turned out great.

Last edited:
Combat in this game looks like fucking Marvel vs Capcom. Shit flying in all directions, characters teleporting all over the place and enough visual effects to cover the entire screen.

It's easy on the eyes and and I'm sure plenty of people will like it, but man... this really isn't what I want out of a mainline Final Fantasy game.

hyperbertha

Yeah, the combat looks a bit busy for my tastes. I hope regular enemies aren’t too bullet-spongey at least; having to button-mash five minutes to defeat random critters doesn’t sound fun to me.
too bad. That's exactly what the majority of gamers these days find fun.

BootsLoader

Banned
Graphics look like Final Fantasy X, damn, the animations are as dull as it gets. Lighting in the game is flat, what’s wrong with SE? They need to update their game engine, the only good looking thing are the particles in the spells, nothing else.
I played all FF games from 7 to 13. Didn’t like FFXV and I think I won’t like this one also.

Doom85

You fu**kin kidding me? It’s on PS5 and it looks worse than the Last Of us 2 and Uncharted 4. Either SE devs are lazy or their engine is very very outdated.

Bruh, you specified Final Fantasy X in your prior post. You know, a PS2 game. Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4 are PS4 games.

Now, I do agree with those saying XIII’s full cutscenes do look better than XVI’s (of what we‘ve seen so far), but the world as a whole in XVI is obviously more detailed. I’m fine with the character models not being insanely detailed looking if the world as a whole looks great, which it does especially given how big it probably will be.

But regardless, anyone trying to claim XVI only looks like even the best-looking PS2 game, yeah you kind of have this reaction coming:

GIF by MOODMAN

LostDonkey

Bruh, you specified Final Fantasy X in your prior post. You know, a PS2 game. Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4 are PS4 games.

Now, I do agree with those saying XIII’s full cutscenes do look better than XVI’s (of what we‘ve seen so far), but the world as a whole in XVI is obviously more detailed. I’m fine with the character models not being insanely detailed looking if the world as a whole looks great, which it does especially given how big it probably will be.

But regardless, anyone trying to claim XVI only looks like even the best-looking PS2 game, yeah you kind of have this reaction coming:

GIF by MOODMAN

I think you're being rather kind there.

Id fully expect some kind of reaction gif including a mental asylum at least.

Pigenator

Japanese devs are getting too generous with particles and post-processing last few years.
Seriously, the combat doesn't need millions of flying shit everywhere, mini-cutscenes, blurring, shaking, all at once constantly. I can barely even make up what the hell is happening half the time.
Graphically it looks good I guess, but it'll get old fast. Tone that shit down.

Madflavor

You fu**kin kidding me? It’s on PS5 and it looks worse than the Last Of us 2 and Uncharted 4. Either SE devs are lazy or their engine is very very outdated.
See if you said that from the beginning, saying it looks worse than TLOU2 or U4, nobody would’ve given your post a second glance. But you brought up FFX.

Hurahn7

Banned
There's a lot of shit going on in that game. I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in years. That shit didn't make any sense to me. LOL

I'm going to wait until we have the demo to decide on how good/not so good the game looks. But most importantly, the demo will give us a good idea of how it plays - which I think is more important than graphics or facial animations

Have it preordered already (since a local retailer has the regular edition with a steel book as a bonus) but I'm sure when I'm controlling it, it'll be easier to understand what's happening on-screen

BootsLoader

Banned

GIF by MOODMAN
Did you really checked character faces, they really are PS2 era! What world details? The rocks?
The world looks fuckin dead. Yes I compare previous gen games which should look less attractive but instead, they look far better. You know, Red Dead Redemption 2 world looks detailed. As for your reaction, I don’t really care. :)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's an action RPG... And it gives me FFXII vibes..

I'm sorry, but it's a no from me.

Can I be honest about how unhinged I am with CG cutscenes?

I’m like this close to paying for a professional translation of the Japanese interview that talks about the pre-rendered cutscenes and the Kingsglaive (CG) team’s involvement because numerous sources are saying different things

It's an action RPG... And it gives me FFXII vibes..

I'm sorry, but it's a no from me.

I’m not trying to bag on your opinion, I promise, but I’m curious: what about this game gives you XII vibes outside of the fact that it’s not a modern or sci-fi setting?

While I like XII, the story and characters were utterly bland. XVI, on the other hand, seems to be a very character-driven political drama + it’s very action-packed, unlike XII. Not seeing the resemblance outside of some aspects of the setting

Last edited:
Can I be honest about how unhinged I am with CG cutscenes?

I’m like this close to paying for a professional translation of the Japanese interview that talks about the pre-rendered cutscenes and the Kingsglaive (CG) team’s involvement because numerous sources are saying different things

I’m not trying to bag on your opinion, I promise, but I’m curious: what about this game gives you XII vibes outside of the fact that it’s not a modern or sci-fi setting?

While I like XII, the story and characters were utterly bland. XVI, on the other hand, seems to be a very character-driven political drama + it’s very action-packed, unlike XII. Not seeing the resemblance outside of some aspects of the setting
No need to go that far. The Kingsglaive team helped with several scenes. Timestamped right before an obvious example.

Devs Lazy?? You can't be fucking serious!?

Whatever you think of the graphics the devs clearly prioritise different things. This games probably gonna have more content than the entire uncharted series combined.

The Location, Moveset and enemy variety is completely off the charts. Only game comparable recently is elden ring and this has way better graphics than that.

Last edited:

Variahunter

FF XVI is my most awaited game this year, and perhaps since its reveal. I didn't even buy FFXIII and XV. Those games seemed trash.

But, since the re-reveal with the Dominance and Ambition trailer, the game had seen a glow up in the graphical aspect. Post processing and shadows seemed good. Revenge trailer seemed even better lit. Maybe it was a target. And we all know the target... Shiva's dominant... errhh sorry I digress.

Well, since the Pax East and the State of Play, the game seem flat again with its lighting. So I've been looking at the trailers again. And we can make direct comparisons.

Ambition trailer :

RnUA6a8.png

SoP :

o9qLjrU.jpg

So we can thank all the people complaining about the game being too dark visually... Now we got that. And (probably) the same people are now complaining the game looks flat.

On the bright side (no pun intended), we can see a better LOD (see the better defined top of the chapel on the lower right corner) and more precise shadows (in the Ambition trailer the windows on the right tower are weirdly lit while they should be in the shadow).

But yeah, I prefered the older look, it was more contrasty and I prefer that.

I wonder if I can find more 1:1 comparison screenshots.

Last edited:

decisions

Japanese devs are getting too generous with particles and post-processing last few years.
Seriously, the combat doesn't need millions of flying shit everywhere, mini-cutscenes, blurring, shaking, all at once constantly. I can barely even make up what the hell is happening half the time.
Graphically it looks good I guess, but it'll get old fast. Tone that shit down.

This is the worst thing about DMCV and why many players went back to DMC4. Eventually you have so many effects that the combat is less visually satisfying.

Variahunter

In the end, it might be that the State of Play was just washed out due to a poor luminosity calibration.

The exact same shots :

Garuda Fight Demo from Gematsu :

MCSvzv5.jpg

And then SoP :

KtzMMND.jpg

It does seem very washed out in my opinion ! And from what I've seen and compared, it seems to be the main difference. Also the state of play has more macro blocks which indicates a poor compression quality.
I just wonder why would they do such a bad calibration for a SoP that targets all PS audience...

So at least that's good news to me.

Last edited:
In your dreams.

It released the same year as Uncharted 2. It looked dated day one and everyone saw it. Add to that the accusations of downgrades compared to pre-release footage.

Whatever graphical praise it received was due to its art design.
What a clown. You must be legit 14 years old to say something like this. The graphics were universally praised, the level design was the mega controversial thing about it.

hussar16

Yeah, the combat looks a bit busy for my tastes. I hope regular enemies aren’t too bullet-spongey at least; having to button-mash five minutes to defeat random critters doesn’t sound fun to me.
In the end, it might be that the State of Play was just washed out due to a poor luminosity calibration.

The exact same shots :

Garuda Fight Demo from Gematsu :

MCSvzv5.jpg

And then SoP :

KtzMMND.jpg

It does seem very washed out in my opinion ! And from what I've seen and compared, it seems to be the main difference. Also the state of play has more macro blocks which indicates a poor compression quality.
I just wonder why would they do such a bad calibration for a SoP that targets all PS audience...

So at least that's good news to me.
Gematsu doesn't have original source video so it's probably on their end

Variahunter

Gematsu doesn't have original source video so it's probably on their end
No you don't understand, the Gematsu video is from the Garuda demo we had in February.
And the washed out version is from the State of Play we just had this thursday.

It's not about the source video, all the videos coming from the February demo have this luminosity calibration.

Pedro Motta

FF XVI is my most awaited game this year, and perhaps since its reveal. I didn't even buy FFXIII and XV. Those games seemed trash.

But, since the re-reveal with the Dominance and Ambition trailer, the game had seen a glow up in the graphical aspect. Post processing and shadows seemed good. Revenge trailer seemed even better lit. Maybe it was a target. And we all know the target... Shiva's dominant... errhh sorry I digress.

Well, since the Pax East and the State of Play, the game seem flat again with its lighting. So I've been looking at the trailers again. And we can make direct comparisons.

Ambition trailer :

RnUA6a8.png

SoP :

o9qLjrU.jpg

So we can thank all the people complaining about the game being too dark visually... Now we got that. And (probably) the same people are now complaining the game looks flat.

On the bright side (no pun intended), we can see a better LOD (see the better defined top of the chapel on the lower right corner) and more precise shadows (in the Ambition trailer the windows on the right tower are weirdly lit while they should be in the shadow).

But yeah, I prefered the older look, it was more contrasty and I prefer that.

I wonder if I can find more 1:1 comparison screenshots.
It's the same, one is tonemapped from the HDR the other isn't.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You showed Bloodborne as example of not being “generic” but lot of games, movies comics and anime done H.P lovecraft gothic aesthetics.
Yep. Bloodborne isn't even entirely original in that either
Castlevania was literally all about that before Konami shelved it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's because it's a ps5 exclusive. All exclusive threads are forced to be circle jerks here these days.
well you're not 'exclusive' to GAF so how about you go find another forum filled with more jaded cynics like you? /v/ sounds like it'd fit you well

the fucking persecution complex dude....

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What!? Lol. Have you ever played a turn based rpg ? It’s nothing but strategy 😂🤣
how much thinking are you doing in them though? how much are you strategizing as opposed to something like Elden Ring?

IDK about you but Elden Ring had me considering options and strategizing far more than any FF game. Maybe that newfangled real time action combat does have something to it, who woulda thunk it

hussar16

No you don't understand, the Gematsu video is from the Garuda demo we had in February.
And the washed out version is from the State of Play we just had this thursday.

It's not about the source video, all the videos coming from the February demo have this luminosity calibration.
Oh I see so downgrade

Fredrik

how much thinking are you doing in them though? how much are you strategizing as opposed to something like Elden Ring?

IDK about you but Elden Ring had me considering options and strategizing far more than any FF game. Maybe that newfangled real time action combat does have something to it, who woulda thunk it
In Elden Ring you have full control over your character stats and there is a ton of strategy in there for gear usage and items, it’s quite deep for an Action RPG. But you can still beat bosses at much lower level and with worse gear your second and third time so it’s still more focused on your controller skills and knowing attack patterns than more traditional and less action oriented RPGs.

What I like about turnbased battles is that they’re usually very number focused. Character and gear stats matters a ton, no matter if you’re Bruce Lee on the controller you won’t get far unless the numbers are right. And you need to plan ahead and anticipate enemy attacks and look up weaknesses and do some appropriate buffing, etc, while managing your party in what order everything should happen to not get out of sync with healing and so on.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In Elden Ring you have full control over your character stats and there is a ton of strategy in there for gear usage and items, it’s quite deep for an Action RPG. But you can still beat bosses at much lower level and with worse gear your second and third time so it’s still more focused on your controller skills and knowing attack patterns than more traditional and less action oriented RPGs.

What I like about turnbased battles is that they’re usually very number focused. Character and gear stats matters a ton, no matter if you’re Bruce Lee on the controller you won’t get far unless the numbers are right. And you need to plan ahead and anticipate enemy attacks and look up weaknesses and do some appropriate buffing, etc, while managing your party in what order everything should happen to not get out of sync with healing and so on.
You do that action RPGs as well, have you fought Weiss in FFVIIR? He has couple of phases and in each phase he has weakness and if dont explore those weakness you wont able to damage him and build stagger. He also has very deadly attack can one shot everyone, you can survive it by buffing yourself and with Manawall.

FFXVI also has stagger system, I would imagine some bosses can't get easy staggered until you explore their weakness, this system is similar how you need to break shield in Octopath in order you properly damage your enemies.

I personally can enjoy both turn based and action RPG and both have its own satisfaction that I enjoy.

Top Bottom