• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

Larxia

There's no way you actually believe this.
Why? Some elements do look modern, like particles and some effects, but the lighting looks super poor, I don't see why it's so controversing to say that.
Depending on the scene from that video, FF XV sometimes look like one or two generations above, so yes I think that's weird.

51810219451_52b9cfde7d_o_d.jpg

The lighting here is just way above anything I've seen in XVI.
Again, I'm not saying XVI will be bad, I can enjoy a game without crazy graphics, but that doesn't mean we're not allowed to do talk about the graphics themselves on the side.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You should have ended before the very last senetence. There is nothing wrong with my post. Game b literally adds NO DEPTH from game A, unless you consider jerking off to numbers gameplay depth.
Actually, it does. Depth in challenge. If is something you are into, that's a different matter. What is wrong with your post, is simply that you aren't an authority on what a user's experience or preference should be in a game. So because you don't like something,doesn't mean that thing lacks value to everyone else.

I can pay through a game like say uncharted just killing everyone, or play through that same game racking up as many headshots as possible. Using the same guns. That is not adding anymore more depth to the core gameplay, it is however adding more of a challenge.

Or you can breeze through GOW or TlOU on the easiest difficulty, play the games on the hardest difficulty however, while still using the exact same weapons and mechanics... it becomes a totally different experience.

hyperbertha

Actually, it does. Depth in challenge. If is something you are into, that's a different matter. What is wrong with your post, is simply that you aren't an authority on what a user's experience or preference should be in a game. So because you don't like something,doesn't mean that thing lacks value to everyone else.

I can pay through a game like say uncharted just killing everyone, or play through that same game racking up as many headshots as possible. Using the same guns. That is not adding anymore more depth to the core gameplay, it is however adding more of a challenge.

Or you can breeze through GOW or TlOU on the easiest difficulty, play the games on the hardest difficulty however, while still using the exact same weapons and mechanics... it becomes a totally different experience.
self imposed challenge is not the same as mandated challenge. If the challenge can be did away at my whims, it stops meaning anything to me. Its no different than if a bossfight can be skipped at the press of a button, and the only thing stopping you is your mood. On top of that I fail to see the value that achieving a higher style rank provides. It has no bearing on beating the game. Its as ridiculous as shooting for the platinum trophy.

Mr.Phoenix

self imposed challenge is not the same as mandated challenge. If the challenge can be did away at my whims, it stops meaning anything to me. Its no different than if a bossfight can be skipped at the press of a button, and the only thing stopping you is your mood. On top of that I fail to see the value that achieving a higher style rank provides. It has no bearing on beating the game. Its as ridiculous as shooting for the platinum trophy.
This is exactly why I avoid getting into these kinda arguments.

Gaming, how you game, why you game, and what you game, is all subjective. You think getting a plat trophy is ridiculous, some may not. The challenge of almost every game out there can be opted out on a whim simply by selecting easy difficulty. Some, people like me, would go straight to the hardest available difficulty when I start any game.

If you cannot see that you simply can't (or rather shouldn't) make blanket statements dismissing games over something as subjective as gameplay style or mechanics then I don't know what to say to you.

So to that end, lets just leave this alone.

OCASM

Banned
It’s close
In your dreams.

Ummm, no. When FFXIII released, one of thr only things praised at the time was its graphics. The game was awful, but looked incredible when it released.
It released the same year as Uncharted 2. It looked dated day one and everyone saw it. Add to that the accusations of downgrades compared to pre-release footage.

Whatever graphical praise it received was due to its art design.

Last edited:
In your dreams.

It released the same year as Uncharted 2. It looked dated day one and everyone saw it. Add to that the accusations of downgrades compared to pre-release footage.

Whatever graphical praise it received was due to its art design.
My god XIII haters will say anything and everything. The visuals were praised by EVERYONE. People still praise XIII’s visuals to this day.

Go_Ly_Dow

All the snippets of music in the footage were hype, but this track perked my ears up the most.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: GHG

Lokaum D+

FF isnt turn based since 13 what are ppl talking about ? if u want do play the same old turn based with the same old mid ost just go play DQXI.

There is plenty of turn based games out there, at least Square tries something new each new game and thats what makes FF games great.

Lethal01

There is no way to make a proper action game when you need to control multiple characters at once. Not a problem no me.

I mean, remake pretty much nailed it with the intergrade upgrade, which is why the creator of this game said it was a masterpiece and the ideal they would like to strive for if they could.

FF isnt turn based since 13 what are ppl talking about ? if u want do play the same old turn based with the same old mid ost just go play DQXI.

There is plenty of turn based games out there, at least Square tries something new each new game and thats what makes FF games great.
Exactly. I rather them improve the action so it's fun to play which is exactly what they are doing.

This reminds me of people complaining about FF7R's combat before actually playing it, I bet people will be changing their minds once they realize how engaging combat is in XVI.

Boneless

Wow, the easy mode rings are probably the lamest things I've ever seen. As an exclusive super end game item? Yeah cool. As an early game easy mode item? Fuck off.

Seems totally unnecessary as well, as in any JRPG you can grind levels if you want to make it easier for yourself.

Last edited:

decisions

I would like to see another FF13 like battle system, I like turn based but I'm not really interested in 90s and early 00s turn based anymore it's just a bit boring now.
FFXIII and FFX battle systems were both designed by the same guy and in my opinion the best battle systems the series has had.

Wow, the easy mode rings are probably the lamest things I've ever seen. As an exclusive super end game item? Yeah cool. As an early game easy mode item? Fuck off.

Seems totally unnecessary as well, as in any RPG you can grind levels if you want to make it easier for yourself.
Well it's there for people who don't play DMC type action games. They probably recognize their fans aren't typically of that wheelhouse. Seems like a no brainer. You don't want to use them don't, if someone has zero experience with action games they can.

I'll never get complaints about options.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Why? Some elements do look modern, like particles and some effects, but the lighting looks super poor, I don't see why it's so controversing to say that.
Depending on the scene from that video, FF XV sometimes look like one or two generations above, so yes I think that's weird.

Again, I'm not saying XVI will be bad, I can enjoy a game without crazy graphics, but that doesn't mean we're not allowed to do talk about the graphics themselves on the side.

I think they're pushing the PS5's compatibilities in the sections of the game that truly matter. Eikon fights, big set pieces, some of the more visually impressive environments, and are cutting corners in areas that really don't need them. The game does have a budget, and Yoshi-P does seem to want to deliver a full and complete game in a timely manner. He did say a long time ago that obsessing about graphics is one of the things that can lead to failure in game production. Could CBU3 have tried pushing the PS5 to it's absolute limit to give FFXVI the best visuals possible in every screen of the game? Yes, but then how much more would that have ballooned the budget and time it'd take to complete the game?

The vibe I'm getting is they want to deliver a Final Fantasy games with a great story, intense combat, endearing heroes, captivating music, and beautiful visuals where it really counts. They're trying to avoid getting lost in the sauce. XIII and XV had jawdropping visuals for their time, but they weren't great Final Fantasy games. I understand they have their fans, but on a broad spectrum they received mixed reception. FFXVI has a genuine real chance at being by far the best Final Fantasy game in ages. If that happens, it'll be because the team who made it learned from the mistakes made by their predecessors, and focused on the shit the truly matters.

Last edited:

Teslerum

If you cater to everyone, you’ll reach no one.
That's not really catering to everyone though. They don't give you any real benefit aside from simplifying controls. No extra damage, no extra anything really. If you got the skill to match they're essentially useless. They would be useless as endgame items too, at least I don't see the benefit there at all.

In fact they gimp you as they take equipment slots away from actual accessories with gameplay benefits you can equip in their stead.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

Luminous engine got many faults but Lighting is still it's strong part.
Forspoken pre patch:
FMXG4SK.jpg

2T3sFEb.jpg

Son5P9d.jpg

NW7aJS1.jpg

And some character models:
mvBVnlL.jpg

DxGIVRW.jpg

yRy0mqt.jpg

3dlrYU0.jpg

Klosshufvud

That's not really catering to everyone though. They don't give you any real benefit aside from simplifying controls. No extra damage, no extra anything really. If you got the skill they're essentially useless. They would be useless as endgame items too.

In fact they gimp you as they take equipment slots away from actual accessories with gameplay benefits you can equip in their stead.
The intention isn't to gimp you. The intention is clearly to give extremely casual players a shot of seeing the whole story without mastering even the basic components of gameplay. We've seen PAX footage where Yoshi-P basically just holds down a button as the MC overwhelms an enemy with auto attacks. This design philosophy is nothing new for this team, considering their FF14 choices. Maybe skilled players will be gimped using this over another accessory but this item isn't intended for that crowd.

Larxia

I think they're pushing the PS5's compatibilities in the sections of the game that truly matter. Eikon fights, big set pieces, some of the more visually impressive environments, and are cutting corners in areas that really don't need them. The game does have a budget, and Yoshi-P does seem to want to deliver a full and complete game in a timely manner. He did say a long time ago that obsessing about graphics is one of the things that can lead to failure in game production. Could CBU3 have tried pushing the PS5 to it's absolute limit to give FFXVI the best visuals possible in every screen of the game? Yes, but then how much more would that have ballooned the budget and time it'd take to complete the game?

The vibe I'm getting is they want to deliver a Final Fantasy games with a great story, intense combat, endearing heroes, captivating music, and beautiful visuals where it really counts. They're trying to avoid getting lost in the sauce. XIII and XV had jawdropping visuals for their time, but they weren't great Final Fantasy games. I understand they have their fans, but on a broad spectrum they received mixed reception. FFXVI has a genuine real chance at being by far the best Final Fantasy game in ages. If that happens, it'll be because the team who made it learned from the mistakes made by their predecessors, and focused on the shit the truly matters.
And like I said, that's totally fine, I loved some games that didn't have great visuals when they came out, even games with many technical issues, like NieR Automata.
That however doesn't stop me from being disappointed by the visuals, it doesn't mean the rest of the game will be bad or anything, I simply wish I was more attracted by the visuals.

My big issue, and what started this whole conversation, is simply that I don't understand people who are clearly overrating the visuals of this game. You said it yourself, they decided to focus on other things, and that's okay, but why pretending it's the best looking game there is when it's not? That's really just that, my problem in the FF XVI threads here in general. The game doesn't have the best graphics, too bad, but we have to deal with it and maybe the rest of the game will be great, that's how it is and I'm not sure why we have to pretend otherwise.

Last edited:
I think that's a bit dramatic. They are items that make the action system easier for people who don't play action games. It's clearly not compromising the action for anyone who doesn't use it based on the footage they've been showing off.

If they want to ease some of their fans who have never touched a game like DMC in their life into their new action heavy title then good on them. Complaining about that is such a waste of time.

I never understood the complaints when people asked From Software to include an easy mode into their game because in that case it was never part of their vision. Whereas in this case it is. So it's fine.

Last edited:

Teslerum

The intention isn't to gimp you. The intention is clearly to give extremely casual players a shot of seeing the whole story without mastering even the basic components of gameplay. We've seen PAX footage where Yoshi-P basically just holds down a button as the MC overwhelms an enemy with auto attacks. This design philosophy is nothing new for this team, considering their FF14 choices. Maybe skilled players will be gimped using this over another accessory but this item isn't intended for that crowd.
That's... what I meant?

I was reacting to Boneless post.

I took that from a perspective of the general player. I even tried to hint at that with *If you got the skill to match they're essentially useless.*

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's not really catering to everyone though. They don't give you any real benefit aside from simplifying controls. No extra damage, no extra anything really. If you got the skill to match they're essentially useless. They would be useless as endgame items too.

I heard SF6 does the same thing, there is option to simplifies the combo but as result you cant do high damage combos because you are limited.

Did you also shit on Nier? Cause this is essentially Nier Automata's easy mode auto chips. Arguably even more impactful since Nier's chips only cost a sliver of skill memory while these seem to take up entire equipment slots.

Klosshufvud

It's going to be real shame to see Luminous Engine buried. IMO they pulled off some amazing feats on it considering FF15 launched on extremely limited hardware and they were still able to pull off seamless open-world with a full party and particle-heavy gameplay. The Episode Duscae demo was quite something.

Fbh

I actually think not focusing on super high end graphics is one of the main reason we are getting this in a timely manner (2.5 years after announcement including a pandemic) and it's shaping up to be a complete and polished feeling package instead of an unfinished mess like FFXV, or a hyper linear game like XIII, or a game with the level design of a 2008 psp game like 7Remake.

But don't worry. It's Square, I'm sure they have other projects in the future that will make you wait 5-6 years to go through extremely linear levels and give you plenty of time to look at jaw dropping visuals as you are going through the fifth forced walking sequence in 15 minutes of gameplay.

I actually think the system is pretty decent.
By automating the combat, or at least parts of it, you get a sort of easy mode without having to oversimplify the entire combat system.

Well original Persona 3 and Persona 3FES was also had AI driven party members.
This…isn’t actually helping like you think it is. Persona 3 is slaves on and avoided by gamers for this very reason …and it looks like the same for FF XVI.

Well…that and the subpar graphics. And the QTEs. Monster fights look cool, but this reminds me of XIII where it was a boring slog that you watched more than played…

Last edited:

This is a great reminder that until AI gets farther along to help with a lot of grunt work, something has to give in game development. As much as I am on the side this new FF being visually underwhelming (lighting looks last gen, character designs are completely generic, environments look drab), I would prefer to play a game that is whole. The fact that the development of XVI seems to have gone smoothly without a hitch is a miracle. Think about it. The last 4 mainline FF games going back to XII all had some kind of development trouble. No wonder they gave it to Yoshida, the one director who managed to salvage one. This man knows his priorities.

Go_Ly_Dow

How big is this game gonna be? 200GB?
(and half of it is cutscene FMVs?)
Nearly all cutscenes are real-time, but I'd wager it's over 100gb, maybe over 150gb, given it's a lengthy game and they said little asset reuse for all the set pieces.

Last edited:

Myths

Watching this again, there is tons and tons of handpicked content out of the lesser played and experienced games, namely FF1-FF5. The direction of the game artistically is mostly reminiscent of those too if you consider its more restrained color palette and traditional medieval take on equipment and clothing design. The reason this resonant with me a bit more than 13/15 is its proximity in art and world design to FF1-FF5/12. Quite refreshing aesthetically considering the past two main single player offline entries took a break.

Battle system has a lot going on, however for the more gutsy advent into full-on action with optional item mechanics to suit different players and play styles - the developers only make their feedback process and consideration of the fan base much more meaningful I’d say. Most of the party and assistance are AI-controlled which i take no issue with as I do think we’re moving towards more complex mechanics and deep learning algorithms under the hood. I’d like to see progressive learning and/or leveling of the AI based on continued input of battle action(s), style, and response of the player. A completely separate leveling tool similar to Gambits to be specific.

Music, awe-inspiring and seems extremely varied. Much in the same way the staple bestiary/creatures, items, and overall naming convention calls back to the older games so does the references to older compositions in earlier games here. A welcome mixture of new pieces with the incorporation of phrases and motifs from older ones.

The manner in which the plot, the scenario planning is 100% taking pages out of some of the more epic story events you’d see in the past: summons executing city-sized magic attacks and razing entire towns and its folks, great mysterious structures peppered about the world which require more excavating to string together its purpose and origins. Expressions, Gestures, and Mannerisms between the characters and voice-acting seems to organically fall place, nothing too jarring I’ve heard or seen so far.

Seeing Liquid Flame and the Aurum Giant which I know mostly from FF5 is a beautiful thing among many other staples like Fafnir and Ahriman. The miniature world map is gorgeous, the ability to use what’s essentially a Library to recap ongoing events and uncover World Lore is impressive by way of functionality. It’s not just a prop building or one stop, one take where nothing is necessarily of use other than purchasing items. Integration and purpose of objects and structure in the game world is becoming more important to me.

Overall, I would say my only issue is the lighting as a choice or matter of restraining the contrast - would prefer to see stronger lighting or a post-processing filter that strengthens the contrast. Perhaps this can be done on the end-user though. Side note, the water physics from
the sailing boat at sea is breathtaking. I’m a little more surprised the hair physics doesn’t seem intimately sensitive to movement in several scenes? Such as when Clive is hugging a character or just overall movement of the model. SE is well known to give priority to fashionable hair styling.

Edit: and after hearing how it’s rocketed its way to top seller in pre-order, I now see and understand why.

And 30’s Clive is my absolute favorite. Being roughly the same age or slightly younger now, this one brings me more joy to see as they just make a decision between newer, incoming, and older players.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

The party is driven by AI 🤦🏽‍♂️
Dragons Dogma party member also A.I and it is awesome

the combat director for FF16 is the same former gameplay lead designer for Dragons Dogma. safely to say they know what they are doing.

even FF14, has A.I party member. the devs even has tools with features that similliar to FF12's gambit system for A.I behaviour customization.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
the rapid camera movement and all the effects made my head spin, no joke. Looks good. I only dislike the faces of the Characters, but that is just a nitpick.

btw i noticed his weapons and armor don't change. Don't tell me he will look the same no matter what gear i put on.... I hate that shit

sigmaZ

It's nice to see someone else say this. I am of like mind. This is why I do not like multiple difficulty modes (Although I'm mostly ok with items and abilities that can make things easier) I also think having multiple difficultly modes can take the onus off the developers to balance the gameplay. It's like having a nice meal at a restaurant but the chef doesn't add any spice or salt and says, oh you can add as much as you want. Well then how the heck am I supposed to enjoy the dish and judge it for what it is. Unfortunately, there are a percentage of gamers who just play off of hype and over look those things, treating games like a cheap McDonalds meal.

Kagero

Wait, do you know what High Fantasy is? It’s mid evil fantasy, which is the opposite of high fantasy.

Also, why would anyone want destructible environments in FF?
Yes why would anyone want cool things blowing up and moving realistically in a game? 🤷🏻

Also from the internet:

High and low fantasy are the two main categories of fantasy. High fantasy refers to epic fantasy which is set in an alternate world. It typically includes lots of magical elements, fantastical creatures, and unusual technology. Whereas low fantasy is when magical creatures and elements intrude upon the regular world.

So yeah, I know what high fantasy is.

Top Bottom