• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Tenn. jail official called the KKK ‘more American’ than Obama. Now fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

A Tenn. jail official called the KKK ‘more American’ than Obama. Now he’s out of a job.

David-Barber.jpg

David Barber, deputy director of the Shelby County Corrections Center in Tennessee, resigned after derogatory posts from his Facebook account came to light. (Courtesy of Shelby County)

David Barber kept his Facebook profile set to private, but anyone who was friends with him could see the very public nature of his job — right next to the racist posts that made him lose it.

Barber, deputy director of the Shelby County Corrections Center in Memphis for the past 17 years, resigned amid a growing controversy over the posts.

One featured a picture of President Obama next to a man in a Ku Klux Klan mask and said “The KKK is more American than the illegal president.”

Another post, according to the Memphis Flyer, is about the Obama family claiming they had been discriminated against because they’re black. According to the newspaper, Barber commented, “Arrest convict hang and confiscate all assets.”

The posts were shared from the page of a group called “the Free Patriot,” which posts conservative-tinged news stories.

Recent posts from the group’s Facebook page include a video of an apparent angel that appeared over the White House after Trump’s election. Another was a story with the headline: “WARNING: Black Lives Matter Brings Riots To “White Racist Neighborhood” = BLOOD WILL SPILL -”

CxVfWVEUAAATdF3.jpg

Barber could not be reached for comment. He was one of the top officials at a detention facility that is larger than any other “in this area of the south,” according to its website. It houses about 2,600 inmates per day and has a staff of about 1,000 people.

A news release from the Shelby County Corrections Center said Barber offered to resign “after discussing the offensive nature of the comments and the impact that would have on the corrections center.”

“Anyone in a leadership position at Shelby County government is held at a high standard of behavior, both on and off the job,” said Shelby County Mayor Mark H. Luttrell Jr.

Shelby County Commission Chairman Melvin Burgess told the Commercial Appeal that he believed Barber should have been fired immediately.

“We’re getting calls now from employees who can’t believe they’ve been working around a man with this level of insensitivity,” Burgess told the newspaper. “There is no prescription for those kinds of beliefs and attitudes. There is nowhere this should be accepted and I am disappointed in the leadership and how it was handled.”

Mael

Well to be fair if you look at the history of the US, it's kind of right.
I don't think anyone should be proud of that statement though...unless you're a raging racist of course.

tumblr_myqrr79jCg1t6cr7go1_1280.jpg

This reminds me of the bit in South Park where Randy runs around screaming "change!" after Obama wins, doing a bunch of crazy shit. Then he wakes up the next day, finds out just because Obama is president doesn't mean he can get away with crazy shit, and finds out he's fired.

"But Obama said things would change!"

Just like a black President didn't end racism, a racist president won't created KKK land any time soon.

Seesaw15

They shouldn't have fired him. Now is not the time for punishment and persecution. Now is the time to educate this poor man.

Gattsu25

Banned
The article he's posting is fake as shit, too.

Yet I'm to believe there ain't a problem with fake news influencing/inciting/energizing people?

Zaph

Look at the headline and tell me again that Facebook fake news isn't a problem?

Some other headlines from the site:

BOMBSHELL: Hillary Linked To Child Sex Party, NYPD Chief Shocked And Disgusted By Disturbing Find

BREAKING: Obama Signs Executive Order Allowing CONFISCATION Of Food & Water Before Election – THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING

I love social media. And I love to hear about these damn morons who use it to shout their racist garbage. It's like these morons don't learn from the last racist who spouted garbage, and have to post their "clever and funny" post.

One at a time, let's catch em all!

norm9

Did he click 'like" on the article? They needed 5000.

It shouldn't be hard to determine what is a real news site and what is fake, but I guess people are real stupid.

Yet I'm to believe there ain't a problem with fake news influencing/inciting/energizing people?

BOMBSHELL: Hillary Linked To Child Sex Party, NYPD Chief Shocked And Disgusted By Disturbing Find

BREAKING: Obama Signs Executive Order Allowing CONFISCATION Of Food & Water Before Election – THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING

But hey, according to Zuckerburg, only 1% of the millions of articles shared on facebook every year are totally bull, so this is all okay!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Facebook acting like they don't have a fake news problem is one thing. What makes it worse is that they have the technology to flag false stories but are too scared of the right wing backlash to actually use it.

Dude's a turd, but he might be correct if we are talking about the ugliness of our history, rather than the ideal of our Constitution.

Of course, he didn't mean it that way, so eff him.

Mael

To be fair if you rework the title this way :

BREAKING: Obama Signs Executive Order Allowing CONFISCATION Of Food & Water Before Election? – THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING

It's pretty accurate :lol

tkscz

Go to Tumblr. They immediately believe and spread all fake news that someone made just to watch them spread it.

RPGCrazied

Why do these people do this on social media? Its like they want to end their career or something. I've seen so many stories people doing stupid, gross shit on facebook and twitter only to get canned shortly after.

Why do these people do this on social media? Its like they want to end their career or something. I've seen so many stories people doing stupid, gross shit on facebook and twitter only to get canned shortly after.

Personal filters aren't catching up to how fast the internet evolved. There are still a lot of people who think stuff that happens on a computer screen doesn't matter.

jstripes

Banned
Are these alternative news sites people love sharing on Facebook ever going to crawl back under the rocks they came from?

And people will tell black people and other minorities to stop being emotional and afraid when people like him have been in power before and will be in power after his little capitulation.

Sciz

One of the two majority black counties in Tennessee, and he decides to be publicly pro-KKK?

Dumb motherfucker.

Good, its refreshing to see all these racists in office that seem to have been empowered by Trump getting canned when they show their true colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom