• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sponsorships likely block DLSS - Hardware Unboxed

GHG

This is according to their discussions with them over the last week, it all stems from their refusal to answer the following 2 questions:

4HxFpVD.jpg

NLtKT2Z.jpg

Prior to this Gamers Nexus asked AMD for clarification regarding the Starfield AMD sponsorship situation and what that meant for other up scaling techniques and he got a "no comment".

It's not looking good.

M0G

I didn't know until the other day about the modder implementing DLSS into games that this affects. Puredark has already said he'll get DLSS up and running in Starfield, which makes him my new hero :) I can testify it's an absolute gamechanger in Jedi Survivor.

marquimvfs

New information has come to light since then.
What new information? Because the questions bookmarked were also done by the time. Also, the compilation done on the other thread still works for this. They also start this video telling "at lest thats the conclusion that we blah blah blah."

Last edited:

GHG

What new information? Because the questions bookmarked were also done by the time. Also, the compilation done on the other thread still works for this.

How about you watch the video then?

They go through that list and explain why it doesn't apply to their conclusion.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Has any media outlet asked Bethesda directly if Starfield will support DLSS?
That's harder to do I believe. Reviews outlets like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed have contact with reps from AMD, NVIDIA, and other partners/manufacturers. I don't believe they have a direct communication channel with game developers.

Last edited:

GHG

I've watched it. It's nothing new. I'm also talking about the list that ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz compiled on the other thread...

In the previous thread no outlets had reached out to AMD to specifically comment on this fiasco. The Starfield exclusive sponsorship had also yet to be announced.

There is also another more recent summary of events (as of yesterday) by DF in the video I posted above.

Not sure why you are hellbent on trying to shut down discussion surrounding this, it requires a fresh look.

DaGwaphics

Who knows what AMD requires and what the compensation is with these things, but to act stunned that they might want the game to perform best on their platform is a bit much. Some Nvidia sponsored titles only receive FSR patches months or even years after release and that technology is truly limited to just Nvidia. At least AMD's tech is available to all GPUs, even if it isn't the preferred tech of Nvidia owners.

Zathalus

Who knows what AMD requires and what the compensation is with these things, but to act stunned that they might want the game to perform best on their platform is a bit much. Some Nvidia sponsored titles only receive FSR patches months or even years after release and that technology is truly limited to just Nvidia. At least AMD's tech is available to all GPUs, even if it isn't the preferred tech of Nvidia owners.
Performing best is fine, blocking a competing technology is not. Be it DLSS, FSR, or XeSS that is being blocked.

The solution is simple, leave it up to the developers to implement what they want. Which ideally should be all 3. Funny enough AMD is also not signing on to open-source technology to make that as simple as possible for developers.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

was jensen huang sleeping or something with this game ? nvidia always support the big releases on PC

I think it's more likely that Microsoft were already in dialogue with AMD regarding the game to try and get the most out of the AMD chip in the Xbox hardware and AMD would have been opportunistic in getting a deal for the PC side of things sorted at the same time.

This goes far beyond "wanting the game to perform best".

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I think it's more likely that Microsoft were already in dialogue with AMD regarding the game to try and get the most out of the AMD chip in the Xbox hardware and AMD would have been opportunistic in getting a deal for the PC side of things sorted at the same time.

This goes far beyond "wanting the game to perform best".
MICROSOFT...............again, i just knew it

• Surprised
Reactions: GHG

Buggy Loop

How good is modded DLSS compared to official implementation?

If its anything like RE4, its a huge difference. RE4 FSR implementation was fucked up. The vaseline made so many details lost. Has to be seen on monitor, not phone.

StereoVsn

AMD and EGS are really cancer for pc gaming. GTFO.
EGS kind of yes, but even there they lately are turning into a proper Publisher because Tim Epic only keeps losing money with EGS.

As far as AMD goes, this sucks a lot but having only Intel and Nvidia in PC gaming would be just terrible.

StereoVsn

No way the game dev decides. It's the greedy suits at publishing who decide these things.
What's more is that in this case we have Bethesda Studios which are part of Zenimax which is owned by Microsoft. The latter makes over ten billion $ each quarter.
There is no rhyme nor reason to make this game AMD exclusive for the upscaling. It's just crazy especially considering 85% Nvidia market share on PC and AMD is only losing even more to Intel on low end lately. Like a complete WTF.

DaGwaphics

Performing best is fine, blocking a competing technology is not. Be it DLSS, FSR, or XeSS that is being blocked.

The solution is simple, leave it up to the developers to implement what they want. Which ideally should be all 3. Funny enough AMD is also not signing on to open-source technology to make that as simple as possible for developers.

I was referring more to the "outrage", I'm not sure where these people were at when Plague Tale Requiem released without FSR. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's business, if AMD and developers come to some kind of mutually beneficial agreement it is up to them what that entails. The end users aren't entitled to any of these technologies, but it is nice when games support them, sure. More hilarious still is the fact that no one knows what features Starfield will support. With an AMD partnership in place, Bethesda isn't going to heavily advertise DLSS even if it is included.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Their chorus of "no comments" couldn't be louder in confirming that DLSS isn't in the game. Hopefully the backlash will cause them to "rethink this" as Richard said in the DF video.

Yea

So far the negativity around this deal is pissing off so many peoples that its negative marketing. Like there's no reward from holding that stance.
There's not many scenarios out of this
  • Keep DLSS/XeSS out and FSR still sucks, bad press
  • Include DLSS/XeSS while still maintaining "no comments" response, better response when it is inevitably known, but in the meantime, it brews negativity for no reasons.
  • Somehow AMD manages an FSR version that doesn't suck and competes with DLSS, and they also include their frame gen, which somehow also doesn't suck, by game's release. Shock & awe (doubtful)

dotnotbot

If its anything like RE4, its a huge difference. RE4 FSR implementation was fucked up. The vaseline made so many details lost. Has to be seen on monitor, not phone.

DLSS has more details but the amount of oversharpening is awful

EDIT: I see it's caused by in-game TAA implementation, not DLSS itself

Last edited:
Top Bottom