• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sponsorships likely block DLSS - Hardware Unboxed

Those thumbnails!

WQUEpZZ.gif

There are far worse thumbnails than that. I watch camping a lot and there was a thumbnail of a chick of full bush.

buenoblue

Like I said in other threads, it's not like Bethesda is forced into this partnership (or any other dev for that matter). They accepted the money knowing full well what the outcome was. It's really the devs putting sponsor money over making the best game.

JimboJones

Like I said in other threads, it's not like Bethesda is forced into this partnership (or any other dev for that matter). They accepted the money knowing full well what the outcome was. It's really the devs putting sponsor money over making the best game.
Which is frankly bizarre when Bethesda is a first part developer of Microsoft developing one of the most anticipated games of the year. Microsoft should be giving these guys an almost unlimited budget to make sure the game hits hard. They shouldn't need any money from AMD.

Which is frankly bizarre when Bethesda is a first part developer of Microsoft developing one of the most anticipated games of the year. Microsoft should be giving these guys an almost unlimited budget to make sure the game hits hard. They shouldn't need any money from AMD.
Microsoft is well known for acquiring companies and then sabotaging them. I'm not really surprised at all they are forcing Bethesda to do this.

Banned
Microsoft is well known for acquiring companies and then sabotaging them. I'm not really surprised at all they are forcing Bethesda to do this.

if you think MS forced bethesda to take thos sponsorship you're delusional, even for the already low standards we got here.
and believe me when I say I am self censoring my words here to an extreme degree.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This might be a stupid question, but is it impossible for Nvidia to ever make dlss a universal hardware-side option in the Nvidia control panel?
Yes, dlss uses hardware specific to their custom processors.

Fsr is based on gpu core standards.

marquimvfs

Nvidia didn't block anything for other users of other cards. Obviously, they spent the money to develop tech that they didn't allow AMD users to use. That's normal.

What AMD is doing is; Nvidia came with up things and we're blocking their users from using them.
You gotta be kidding... Nvidia is blocking things away from players since "The Way it's Meant to be Played" program, like the Assassin's Creed 1 DX10.1 removal. (They didn't had support for it, so they pressured Ubisoft to downgrade the DX version in the first patch, instead of fixing some implementation issues). There's other examples of they doing similar things, you just have to look for it.

You gotta be kidding... Nvidia is blocking things away from players since "The Way it's Meant to be Played" program, like the Assassin's Creed 1 DX10.1 removal. (They didn't had support for it, so they pressured Ubisoft to downgrade the DX version in the first patch, instead of fixing some implementation issues). There's other examples of they doing similar things, you just have to look for it.

Blocking things? No. Not sharing things? Yes. One of the things isn't like the other. At least not in the last few years. The worst was the Crysis 2 shit. That shit huge garbage. That was way long time ago.

Still, no excuse for AMD to say "Our shit is garbage, you'll have to just deal with our inferior shit"

hlm666

This might be a stupid question, but is it impossible for Nvidia to ever make dlss a universal hardware-side option in the Nvidia control panel?
Seems to be not possible, that's why they use nis for this scenario. DLSS (and fsr2/xess) need the game to send some data (motion vectors and some colour data) to the upscaling algorithm. If they can't get those inputs the output breaks down with bad ghosting and some other artifacts.

Buggy Loop

Blocking things? No. Not sharing things? Yes. One of the things isn't like the other. At least not in the last few years. The worst was the Crysis 2 shit. That shit huge garbage. That was way long time ago.

Still, no excuse for AMD to say "Our shit is garbage, you'll have to just deal with our inferior shit"

The Crysis argument is getting tiring

In text form:

Nearly a decade later people still push the myth about the tessellated ocean rendering all the time under the ground in Crysis 2, and that Tessellation was expensive on hardware of that time. Both of those were objectively false and easily provably so. (1/4)

Wireframe mode in CryEngine of the time did not do the same occlusion culling as the normal .exe with opaque graphics, so when people turned wireframe on .... they saw the ocean underneath the terrain. But that does not happen in the real game. (2/4)

People assumed tessellation was ultra expensive on GPUs of the time and "everything like this barrier here was overtessellated"... but it was not. That Tessellation technique was incredibly cheap on GPUs of the time. 10-15% on GTX 480. The real perf cost was elsewhere... (3/4)

The real performance cost of the Extreme DX11 graphics settings were the new Screen Space Directional Occlusion, the new full resolution HDR correct motion blur, the incredibly hilariously expensive shadow particle effects, and the just invented screen-space reflections. (4/4)

Even devs have said so. Crazy what alternative reality AMD cult made and still echoes nowadays.

PC gamers were screaming that Crytek had sold out to consoles, you got your feature rich effects that hurt performances, just like peoples liked on Crysis 1, then bitched it was too much.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

This is according to their discussions with them over the last week, it all stems from their refusal to answer the following 2 questions:

4HxFpVD.jpg

NLtKT2Z.jpg

Prior to this Gamers Nexus asked AMD for clarification regarding the Starfield AMD sponsorship situation and what that meant for other up scaling techniques and he got a "no comment".

It's not looking good.

You Dont Say GIF

Banned

possible maybe... useful probably no.

it would most likely be very artifact ridden, even if they find anway to somehow try to get motion data from the game.

there might be a way to highjack a game's TAA or some shit... who knows... but I'm not sure if that would be enough

Last edited:

smbu2000

Yeah, maybe. But there's game dev agreeing to that and it's far more idiotic from their side.

"What's the most popular GPU's among our customers?"
"That would be 90% nVidia, sir."
"Yeah, let's fuck those guys."
Let’s screw those Nvidia (RTX) users by including tech that they can use, FSR. As opposed to screwing over everybody else by only including DLSS which only RTX cards can use.

DLSS:
Nvidia GTX? Screw you. AMD RDNA? Screw you. Intel ARC? Screw you. Consoles? Screw you.
RTX? Oh yeah!!!!111

It makes sense to focus first on the implementation that can be used by all users and then later (if time/money/ contract allows) to focus on the smaller subset of users. (RTX users)

Azurro

Banned
I don't get PC Master Race people, they are so silly. Console gamers have to get a new machine when a game is exclusive to another platform, on PC land their sponsorships prevent them from using a reconstruction technique of their choice. How is that a big deal? You will barely notice.

Banned
Let’s screw those Nvidia (RTX) users by including tech that they can use, FSR. As opposed to screwing over everybody else by only including DLSS which only RTX cards can use.

DLSS:
Nvidia GTX? Screw you. AMD RDNA? Screw you. Intel ARC? Screw you. Consoles? Screw you.
RTX? Oh yeah!!!!111

It makes sense to focus first on the implementation that can be used by all users and then later (if time/money/ contract allows) to focus on the smaller subset of users. (RTX users)

another Einstein here who didn't get the memo that implementing DLSS takes a single person maybe a few hours.
meaning there is no excuse to not implement it.

and noone wants to use FSR, because it's shit :)
which is the reason AMD thinks it's a good idea to block all the other methods, because even fucking Apple has a better one, even tho there are barely any games on fucking Mac OS that need it 🤣

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

DLSS:
RTX? Oh yeah!!!!111

Who says FSR or Intel alternative shouldn't be included? I'm for supporting any consumer friendly tech. But RTX users are in majority here.
Also adding upscaling tech is super easy.

JimboJones

I don't get PC Master Race people, they are so silly. Console gamers have to get a new machine when a game is exclusive to another platform, on PC land their sponsorships prevent them from using a reconstruction technique of their choice. How is that a big deal? You will barely notice.
Higher standards, for example console owners are constantly say they can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

Buggy Loop

Of course not, PCMR are always having to use 16x zoom to compare things. It's mostly digital masturbation and boasting online, you barely notice a difference between all of the reconstruction techniques.

In motion it’s very easy to spot the difference. The ghosting trail around the character as he moves, the moire patterns, the shimmering, any particle effects gets weird with FSR.

But I don’t know, maybe we have magic vision to spot the thrash upscalers

Do console owners need to zoom in to spot something wrong?

star-wars-jedi-ocalaly-optymalizacja-3.jpg

JimboJones

In motion it’s very easy to spot the difference. The ghosting trail around the character as he moves, the moire patterns, the shimmering, any particle effects gets weird with FSR.

Bro that's the developers "artistic vision" 😂

Schnauzer

I tried to use FSR. It was a blurry mess. I will stick to DLSS or nothing. Only gamers lose by these practices. It should not be defended for any company.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nvidia didn't block anything for other users of other cards. Obviously, they spent the money to develop tech that they didn't allow AMD users to use. That's normal.

What AMD is doing is; Nvidia came with up things and we're blocking their users from using them.
Are you sure that's happening? Haven't seen a single proof but of the actual opposite

Are you sure that's happening? Haven't seen a single proof but of the actual opposite

Only Sony has put DLSS in AMD(that I'm aware of) titles. Not to mention, AMD's "no comment". DLSS could very well come, but why wouldn't AMD say something? This could be nothing.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Only Sony has put DLSS in AMD(that I'm aware of) titles. Not to mention, AMD's "no comment". DLSS could very well come, but why wouldn't AMD say something? This could be nothing.
It could also be that MS/Bethesda don’t want AMD to say anything about it. FSR is guaranteed to be in it, but maybe Bethesda doesn’t want to promise anything else like DLSS/XeSS and launch comes and those others aren’t implemented yet. Then there would certainly be more backlash especially from early adopters.

The game was already delayed from the original launch date. They probably don’t want anything else to take up time when they are trying to polish the game and the other stuff dlss/xess might come sometime after launch.

Rubim

Funny enough that behavior has been replicated in different games.

Lets play a game:

zxuCPeB.png

oGEoYIP.jpeg

Can find you the FSR?

Nvidia blocked their features for years. It’s only fair for amd to do so
It's not fair for anyone. Just because Nvidia may have done something similar in the past does that justify AMDs approach? Totally lost my support - next CPU will be Intel.

Banned
Funny enough that behavior has been replicated in different games.

Lets play a game:

zxuCPeB.png

oGEoYIP.jpeg

Can find you the FSR?

instead of Where's Wally someone should make a Where's FSR2 book...
but maybe that would be a bit to trivial lol

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
False, there's another list in the thread Leonidas Leonidas rushed to make, then he rushed to say "ok ok, it's not about partnerships per se, but GPUs with bundled games!"... It was BS all around they try to spin it somehow. I don't have the list myself so I'd appreciate if someone has it.

Buggy Loop

False, there's another list in the thread Leonidas Leonidas rushed to make, then he rushed to say "ok ok, it's not about partnerships per se, but GPUs with bundled games!"... It was BS all around they try to spin it somehow. I don't have the list myself so I'd appreciate if someone has it.

But Leonidas Leonidas is right, and the "new" list is full of speculations. A game with DLSS, showcased in lists/videos of games that now support DLSS, is not an automatic sponsor, it can, but also maybe not. And trust me, I did try to find out who Nvidia sponsors in the past and it's not black & white obvious. What is 100% sure for sponsorships are bundles.

Nvidia's statement is that they allow competing tech. So whatever the list ends up being anyway, the question is for the devs to answer why FSR is not present. If it comes that a dev says that contractually Nvidia stopped them, then you have a new drama that will generate millions of clicks on the web. So why not, why not ask the devs anyway. Games should have all upscalers, Nvidia tried to simplify this with Streamline.

Buggy Loop

top middle
bottom left.

clear as day. fsr2 is shit

That answer

The most annoying thing to me is the pixelating of movement and lateral movement in FSR that creates this kind of ghosting, but not like TAA that duplicates the image, but the oversharpness of the environment around the object. Also particles become trash.

Denton

The fact that you had to go to 2007 for your example is hilarious and speaks volumes.

Top Bottom