• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sponsorships likely block DLSS - Hardware Unboxed

Leonidas

False, there's another list in the thread Leonidas Leonidas rushed to make, then he rushed to say "ok ok, it's not about partnerships per se, but GPUs with bundled games!"... It was BS all around they try to spin it somehow. I don't have the list myself so I'd appreciate if someone has it.

The WCCFTech article my thread was based on had this quote.
Following is a list of bundled AMD and NVIDIA titles and their support for DLSS / FSR:
There was nothing rushed about my thread, all the information of bundled games is out there.

It is not hard to find out what games were bundled by AMD or Nvidia ( ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz added games that were never bundled by AMD/Nvidia). The very first post in that thread specifically mentioned bundled games, as the article did.

Where is the spin?

The only thing my thread showed is how easily certain members can be manipulated by ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz and others by adding non-bundled games, even a mod bought it and changed the thread to "FUD article!" which has now been changed to "selective article". I still stand by what I posted since WCCFTech specifically mentioned bundled games.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It's not fair for anyone. Just because Nvidia may have done something similar in the past does that justify AMDs approach? Totally lost my support - next CPU will be Intel.
AMD marketing do a mild anti consumer move: "never buying AMD CPUs again"
cbcc7e1f3506a3c3ea56392e43e57010.png

NVIDIA downgrade every class of GPU's in the 4000 series, aside from the 4090: "please sir, may I have some more"
hungry oliver twist GIF

It's like people here actively work against having competition in the CPU/GPU space.

Last edited:

Reallink

AMD marketing do a mild anti consumer move: "never buying AMD CPUs again"
cbcc7e1f3506a3c3ea56392e43e57010.png

NVIDIA downgrade every class of GPU's in the 4000 series, aside from the 4090: "please sir, may I have some more"

It's like people here actively work against having competition in the CPU/GPU space.

The 4090 is itself actually a 4080Ti, and would represent the most cut down XX80Ti in Nvidia's history. It's only 88% of the full AD102 chips.

lmimmfn

While it sux, Nvidia has been doing this shit for ages with Physix, The Way It's Meant To Be Played nonsense etc.
Yes, Nvidia seem more friendly now with their game investments which support both DLSS and DSR.

However, did anyone question why Nvidia didn't invest in Starfield snd make it sn Nvidia supported title? No.

Nvidia don't give a shit about gaming because they're all in on AI and most of their sales will be AI in the next year.

Blame Nvidia not AMD.

Fyi, I have an Nvidia 4070Ti.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
While it sux, Nvidia has been doing this shit for ages with Physix, The Way It's Meant To Be Played nonsense etc.
Yes, Nvidia seem more friendly now with their game investments which support both DLSS and DSR.

However, did anyone question why Nvidia didn't invest in Starfield snd make it sn Nvidia supported title? No.

Nvidia don't give a shit about gaming because they're all in on AI and most of their sales will be AI in the next year.

Blame Nvidia not AMD.

Fyi, I have an Nvidia 4070Ti.
When has Nvidia made a deal that prohibited devs from supporting AMD’s features?

Paying devs to support proprietary features/features that perform way better on your own hardware may be questionable. But at the very least, you’re talking about adding stuff to a game that wouldn’t be implemented otherwise.

Making a deal to omit your competitor’s feature is a new low. Especially given that by all accounts it’s trivially easy to support all 3 upscaling technologies, and they certainly would’ve if not for this deal.

Buggy Loop

When has Nvidia made a deal that prohibited devs from supporting AMD’s features?

Paying devs to support proprietary features/features that perform way better on your own hardware may be questionable. But at the very least, you’re talking about adding stuff to a game that wouldn’t be implemented otherwise.

Making a deal to omit your competitor’s feature is a new low. Especially given that by all accounts it’s trivially easy to support all 3 upscaling technologies, and they certainly would’ve if not for this deal.

Imagine where we would be without Nvidia's tech throughout the years.

In the fucking stone age

They develop tech ahead everyone in the industry. Can't they hold exclusivity to it for a while? Especially since its often optional features that are meant to stress test PCs. And eventually it gets to be open source code like Gameworks and PhysX ended up.

I would say we didn't get nearly enough tech pushing games in fact, not even Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive is enough. Would any path tracing games be out there right now with just AMD? Nvidia to play fair would have to wait on competition to catch up? The fuck is up with that. This ain't how any business works. Should Boeing open source their engineering to Embraer / Bombardier? To be fair?

Played this last year

tvNANVs.gif

sehdkmzh1yrmgbu9wdhk.gif

Couldn't believe this is a 2015 game. I know launch was rough on PC but it's a mind blowing experience on PC at max settings. The smoke effects should have been standard by now, if pussies didn't cry out "SABOTAGEeEEE!!!"

Last edited:

In the fucking stone age

They develop tech ahead everyone in the industry. Can't they hold exclusivity to it for a while? Especially since its often optional features that are meant to stress test PCs. And eventually it gets to be open source code like Gameworks and PhysX ended up.

I would say we didn't get nearly enough tech pushing games in fact, not even Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive is enough. Would any path tracing games be out there right now with just AMD? Nvidia to play fair would have to wait on competition to catch up? The fuck is up with that. This ain't how any business works. Should Boeing open source their engineering to Embraer / Bombardier? To be fair?

Played this last year

tvNANVs.gif

sehdkmzh1yrmgbu9wdhk.gif

Couldn't believe this is a 2015 game. I know launch was rough on PC but it's a mind blowing experience on PC at max settings. The smoke effects should have been standard by now, if pussies didn't cry out "SABOTAGEeEEE!!!"
Careful there, you're going to violate the narrative that Nvidia is the Evil Empire and AMD are The Resistance

Never mind that Nvidia has actually developed basically every meaningful new technology in game graphics rendering the past 30 years, starting with the original GeForce 256 and what we look back at today as the original "Hardware Transform and Lighting"

They also developed the only meaningful technology in professional graphics and most recently modern generative AI, which is by the way why their market valuation recently zoomed over $1 trillion

In tech industry parlance, Nvidia is widely (and correctly) regarded as the "leader" and companies like Intel and AMD are "followers"

Last edited:
I agree. Nvidia didnt need to support AMD.
And AMD doesnt need to support Nvidia.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

In the fucking stone age

Played this last year

tvNANVs.gif

sehdkmzh1yrmgbu9wdhk.gif

Yup this is one thing I always admired about Nvidia. They don’t wait for the rest of the industry. They develop new tech and then dedicate a ton of resources getting devs to adopt it.

Thing is AMD fanboys will defend what they do through whataboutisms and divert attention from the problem at hand. Says more about the fanboys than it does AMD.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
In before ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz damage control :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

First off: congratulations on this monthly bonus. I have no doubt spreading this drama was on some people's main KPIs for this quarter and they achieved it right on time for diverting all the attention about Nvidia's shittiest ever hardware launch.

From the sheer amount of times you and certain others refer to and quote me, it seems you got convinced we share the same line of work but for competing entities.
We don't. I have a more accomplishing and important job than posting on forums to defend companies from the shit they make, a job that sometimes gets me too occupied to post here for several days in a row.

As for AMD's current stance over this subject, it's indefensible. They fucked up. At this point they might as well come clean and say they're paying for DLSS2 to not be adopted. Best case scenario is they're not making anyone sign a temporal upscaling exclusivity deal but their PR team is so terrible at their job they made the entire internet think they do. Most likely scenario is they got caught pants down and the executives+PR team have been completely inept at reacting and clarifying how and why they're doing it (and whether or not they're going to change their method henceforth).

That article from WCCFTech is still completely dishonest in the way they start talking about "sponsored" but then proceed to make a list with only the "bundled" games to paint a false narrative. There are many more DLSS2-only games than FSR2-only even among 2023 releases, meaning there's a good chance Nvidia is also paying/coercing developers to not implement FSR2. They simply don't care about lying to our faces.

Regardless, AMD is looking terribly incompetent at this point. Saying "no comment" and then waiting for the thing to go away has obviously generated a streisand effect about it and is probably the worst thing their PR team could have decided to adopt.

It is not hard to find out what games were bundled by AMD or Nvidia ( ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz ToTTenTranz added games that were never bundled by AMD/Nvidia). The very first post in that thread specifically mentioned bundled games, as the article did.

The article mentions "sponsored" in the text, but then proceeds to make a list about bundled games to paint a dishonest narrative.

If we take a look at some of the most recent NVIDIA and AMD-sponsored releases, we would see that almost all NVIDIA-sponsored titles had DLSS and FSR support at or soon after launch. Every title except Battlefield 2042 had DLSS/FSR support added to it. The only reason Battlefield 2024 didn't have FSR 2 support was that the upscaling technology wasn't available at the time of the launch.

Looking at the other camp (AMD), out of the 13 or so sponsored AAA titles, only 3 titles received support for DLSS. This is something to be concerned about since these are major AMD-sponsored titles and game developers might have been asked to keep upscaling technology exclusivity to the Radeon camp since there's no reason to not have DLSS or XeSS support within these titles. Even in Intel's camp, the company has been very open in the integration of its own and competition tech in AAA titles.

Had they made a list with sponsored games like they wrote in the article, it would look like my list and they'd have no grounds to be asking AMD and Nvidia to comment on the article. Someone working for Nvidia probably tipped them off or even paid for the article's publication altogether, and it worked like a charm. Then their own army of forum / twitter crusaders took care of spreading the message within hours, of course.

Again, anyone looking at all the lists comparing DLSS2-only to FSR2-only games would never think of "asking AMD and Nvidia to comment on technology exclusivity". Even if AMD does engage in contractual blocks of competitor technology, that part of the "concern" was completely made up by WCCFTech.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It's not "like". It's literally an actual goal of theirs.

Intel will pop AMD out of GPU space between their fingers. Honestly i can't wait.

Afterwards, just check how many "cross-likes" there are between posts of this guy and leonidas, how many of their posts are about shitting on AMD or propping up Cyberpunk's mega-super-ultra-RTX effects, and you'll start getting a clear picture.

Top Bottom