• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets labeled a sexist Misogynist by Gamespot

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
AJ has rants in his videos and funny skits, but they're all centered around the game. That's his style.

Still doesn't excuse going after Neil directly and putting words in his mouth. That's unprofessional and in poor taste. This is especially true when he's been getting bombarded with hate and death threats well before the review.

He also didn't play sections, yelled over scenes, etc. I went over this in another thread so I don't want to get into it again. Disagree with me if you like, but his review sounded like he completely missed the point and went into the game hating it.

You don't need to work in a corporate company to have professional courtesy.

He reviewed it like a human, for a human audience. I haven't played the game, but his review was the most impassioned, non-pandering of all the reviews I watched/read.

Saruhashi

Banned
So predictable.

A woman involved with the game is "getting death threats".

Quick let's imply that a prominent reviewer who only gave it a 6 out of 10 is somehow responsible.

All this because people won't just go along with this "10 out of 10 most meaningful game ever" bullshit.

Yeah I am sure those death threats are 100% credible and not just standard Internet troll bullshit.

Its like they are trying to get as close as possible to "if you don't like this game then just shut up". To the point where they'll accuse you of causing harassment and death threats.

Whats going on here? Do they really think this game is worth all that?

Arachnid

Bonus:

Yeah, its him. Same guy that review Bob review TLOUSpart2 as well.

Jesus. Video game journalism is such a joke. How do some of these people get hired?

At least with the youtube content creators/reviews, they had to build up their own base and reputation.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"Bro talk" and "micro-aggressions"

Still have no idea what either of those are.

I'm surprised he doesn't have pronouns in the bio tbh.

But it doesn't matter, Joe can "fuck off with his pathetic about face" for defending someone who got death threats, even though that's what any decent human being would do... because he wrote a lukewarm review that human decency no longer matters. "Alessandro" is mad!

Enjay

Banned
Again I am enjoying watching someone who helped build the machine be put right through it. Don't worry about angry joe though guys, frankles is okay and he assaulted a mentally challenged woman.

Chromata

He reviewed it like a human, for a human audience. I haven't played the game, but his review was the most impassioned, non-pandering of all the reviews I watched/read.

In my books, there are no excuses for slandering someone for entertainment when you should just be reviewing their product, especially when said person is already going through a hard time.

Last edited:

Gp1

Considering that some of those "mainstream" media guys don't play the games they review...
Surely they ain't going to watch a yt channel of someone they don't like before critize...

Ps. Mainstream videogame media... What a ioke

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Legit concern. We've heard rumors that Sony makes a "What's up call" of early reviewers gives mediocre game scores.

Is it also Sonys doing to diss people like this, or is this guy just a common retard?

Umbral

"Bro talk" and "micro-aggressions"

Still have no idea what either of those are.

I'm surprised he doesn't have pronouns in the bio tbh.

But it doesn't matter, Joe can "fuck off with his pathetic about face" for defending someone who got death threats, even though that's what any decent human being would do... because he wrote a lukewarm review that human decency no longer matters. "Alessandro" is mad!
Usually accusations like that are projections. I bet you dude has a few skeletons. It’s theater, so people are less likely to turn the knob on his closet door.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
From all my years on GAF. I have never seen so much support for Angry Joe. It's always been "Why does this guy get his own review thread" Funny enough, I'm seeing many calling his review of TLOU 2 the penultimate review of the game whilst ignoring and sweeping under the rug, probably the most tens a game has received this gen.....

What people don't realize is that any Sony exclusive garners much more reviews than exclusives on other consoles or even very popular third party games, so the propensity to keep their Meta's high is even harder.....I'm watching RDR2 and LOU2 and RDR2 only has 99 reviews whereas LOU2 just released and already has 112...

Astral Dog

From all my years on GAF. I have never seen so much support for Angry Joe. It's always been "Why does this guy get his own review thread" Funny enough, I'm seeing many calling his review of TLOU 2 the penultimate review of the game whilst ignoring and sweeping under the rug, probably the most tens a game has received this gen.....

What people don't realize is that any Sony exclusive garners much more reviews than exclusives on other consoles or even very popular third party games, so the propensity to keep their Meta's high is even harder.....I'm watching RDR2 and LOU2 and RDR2 only has 99 reviews whereas LOU2 just released and already has 112...
Sony is the Queen of all videogames 👸

supernova8

Banned
Even if people were sending death threats, you could argue that since they are almost all (like 99%?) toothless nonsense coming from keyboard warriors, the activities to get people (like Joe) cancelled are much more harmful than empty death threats. If you actually looked into these 'death threats' you'd likely find most of them are just school playground level 'I'm gonna knock your block off' nonsense.

Of course I do not condone sending death threats in any form at all. Just highlighting that actions to lose people their jobs are more likely to lead to death (by suicide) than some acne-riddled prick sending 'your mum' insults in DMs.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Isn't this grounds to sue the Gamespot shitstain to oblivion? It's at least public defamation.

This really has to be the way to deal with these virtue signalling clowns. Start suing them when they try to cancel you with inaccurate tweets.

This particular idiot seems exceptionally insufferable. Micro aggressions? Bro talk? Gross? Jfc.

Last edited:
What the fuck.
His review its mostly about the writing, ending, and the lack of development for the characters, especially Abby. That's it.

Neolombax

Sounds like these people just needed a poster boy to be angry at, or he just wanted clicks or retweets or whatever it is these days. Pathetic.

I watched Angry Joe's review of the game, i honestly expected him to be way angrier. Instead he gave very clear reasons why the game got a 6.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamespot tard: Angry Joe is sexist

Angry Joe: No I'm not. Maybe watch my episode before commenting

Gamespot Spongebobber: No I'm not going to break it down and list why. By the way gamers, let me try to convince you all I'm right by saying I used to be a fan of AJ and out of all streamers out there AJ is the one who is a sell out. Bye

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Start further back so the animation stops on the button?
I never played the game, but people were saying Spongebobs bubbles are pressure sensitive and all you need to do is lightly tap the button and the bubble is good enough.

I guess what the GS dude was doing is holding down the button doing a full bubble blast which makes the animation go farther then he really needs.

That's the kind of guy reviewing your games on GS.

Last edited:
I cringed at Joe's review of Last of Us Part 2, he complained the game for what it isn't and failed to appreciate it for what it is and gave a 6/10, like really? That being said I didn't see him making any sexist remark, did he in spoiler discussion video?

Grinchy

Banned
I cringed at Joe's review of Last of Us Part 2, he complained the game for what it isn't and failed to appreciate it for what it is and gave a 6/10, like really? That being said I didn't see him making any sexist remark, did he in spoiler discussion video?
If someone thinks a game or show or movie or anything is bad, then they are critiquing it for not being good. It seems like a strange thing to tell a reviewer that they have to appreciate the thing they're reviewing for what it is, because that just means everything gets a positive review. Every review would be, "I appreciate this for what it is."

I just don't understand this critique of Joe. In fact, if you did what you're claiming is the "right way" to review this game, you'd just have posted that you appreciate Joe's review for what it is. You wouldn't have been allowed to cringe at it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When pc principal exist in real life
222213bbf3850f197fd03b40c1c6dae3.gif

ShadowNate

This particular idiot seems exceptionally insufferable. Micro aggressions? Bro talk? Gross? Jfc.
I have instructed anyone who knows me personally to slap me hard across the face if I ever start casually talking using terms like this in one sentence. And probably arrange an intervention.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If anyone is on Angry Joe's patreon I'm begging you to message him asking for a review of the Spongebob game with sprinkles of him trying to bowl like in the gamespot review and after a while gives up and says 2/10. Maybe show a child pick up the controller afterwards and do the puzzle correctly in the first go.

SCB3

Can someone explain wtf a Micro Aggression is? What makes it different from a normal aggression?

Also, my 7-year-old son got up to that Spongebob part and figured it out immediately, why are Games reviewers getting so bad at games?

sobaka770

Banned
Here's the definition if anyone cares for microagression: The everyday slights, indignities, put downs and insults that people of color, women, LGBT populations or those who are marginalized experiences in their day-to-day interactions with people.

Basically, something like: that's so "gay" or telling a latino-looking USA-born girl she speaks good English.

I don't have issues with using this term, however I will say that I can't think of Angry Joe doing much of this or "bro-talk" despite being surrounded by muscular dudes. They don't seem toxic or hateful in their videos.
Joe is more emotional than analytical and that drives his channel well, but microagressions and bro-talk - I don't see it.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Here's the definition if anyone cares for microagression: The everyday slights, indignities, put downs and insults that people of color, women, LGBT populations or those who are marginalized experiences in their day-to-day interactions with people.
That's the theory.

In practice, the term is used by people to make it easier for sane people to tell they have become insanely obsessive about imaginary "problematic" words and behaviors.
As in this case.
It's basically a word only a certain kind of person uses seriously.
I don't think I have seen many cases of "microaggression" being used where it actually made sense.

PanzerAzel

Anyone who uses “micro-aggressions” in a sentence as this dude did should be punched squarely in the face and without hesitation. How do these people even survive in the world?

What really boils my blood is these twats come out and sling the most disgusting of labels at others, then believe they have the right to turn away, riding high on their virtue-signaling horse proclaiming victory while telling the other person to fuck off without providing an ounce of substantiation.

Seriously, how lazy and cowardly do you have to be to do that?If you’re going to claim someone misogynistic, you better fucking back it up. I hate these kinds of people beyond words, they’re scum.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Why are people so fragile now? Why every their emotional hurt has to be framed as scandalous and taken public to be verified and magnified?

And most of all, why didn't I become a psychologist? I'd be rich now thanks to this bottomless pool of abnormality.

sobaka770

Banned
That's the theory.

In practice, the term is used by people to make it easier for sane people to tell they have become insanely obsessive about imaginary "problematic" words and behaviors.
As in this case.
It's basically a word only a certain kind of person uses seriously.
I don't think I have seen many cases of "microaggression" being used where it actually made sense.

Maybe, but I would call out a guy who does a "that's so gay" phrase all the time. I don't think I'd necessarily use the term but the underlying connotations I understand.
Once again, this tweet is still pathetically misguided and I linked the only time I saw Joe being mysogynist.

cormack12

Gold Member

They all left for another place to hate him together

OCVO6Jm.jpg

That's why you don't see as many over reactions

giphy.gif

Saruhashi

Banned
Can someone explain wtf a Micro Aggression is? What makes it different from a normal aggression?

Also, my 7-year-old son got up to that Spongebob part and figured it out immediately, why are Games reviewers getting so bad at games?

Micro Aggressions.

Imagine you are in a really shitty relationship where your partner is always looking for a fight.

You forgot the butter at the shop? Massive fight.

You didn't do the dishes immediately? Massive fight.

Some people are just miserable and love to start shit at the first hint of an opportunity.

If you've ever worked in retail or especially in a restaurant you already know the type.

Micro Aggressions are for the times when nobody has actually done anything bad to you but you are still looking to either play the victim or start a fight.

Interestingly it's often the same people who moan about micro aggressions who also talk a lot about gaslighting. Yet constantly accusing people of micro aggressions is basically a form of gaslighting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom