• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets labeled a sexist Misogynist by Gamespot

Here's the definition if anyone cares for microagression: The everyday slights, indignities, put downs and insults that people of color, women, LGBT populations or those who are marginalized experiences in their day-to-day interactions with people.

Basically, something like: that's so "gay" or telling a latino-looking USA-born girl she speaks good English.

I don't have issues with using this term, however I will say that I can't think of Angry Joe doing much of this or "bro-talk" despite being surrounded by muscular dudes. They don't seem toxic or hateful in their videos.
Joe is more emotional than analytical and that drives his channel well, but microagressions and bro-talk - I don't see it.
Ah, so 'micro aggressions' don't apply to white people. How predictable. It's almost like it's a completely nonsensical term that was invented and used by retards.

GHG

If he focuses on this he will probably win the next election. I'm surprised he didn't use the world cancel culture here though.

There's no if about it, he will 100% win the next election by leaning on this.

These people are basically handing him victory on a silver platter and they are too dumb and brainwashed to realise it.

sobaka770

Banned
Ah, so 'micro aggressions' don't apply to white people. How predictable. It's almost like it's a completely nonsensical term that was invented and used by retards.

I think if you go to a country in Africa or China it'd be applicable to white men as well. It's pretty much how the majority disses minorities everywhere.

The only difference is that in Western white-majority countries people strive for fair treatment of minorities as a sign of advanced society while in less developed countries it's not on the agenda of the day.

Amory

This shit makes me so mad.

I abhor bullying in all its forms, but I have a special hatred in my heart for this new trend of leftist bullying. It'd be like if the schoolyard bully punched you in the face, then got a standing ovation, an award, and began a righteous campaign to have you expelled.

Barakov

From all my years on GAF. I have never seen so much support for Angry Joe. It's always been "Why does this guy get his own review thread" Funny enough, I'm seeing many calling his review of TLOU 2 the penultimate review of the game whilst ignoring and sweeping under the rug, probably the most tens a game has received this gen.....

What people don't realize is that any Sony exclusive garners much more reviews than exclusives on other consoles or even very popular third party games, so the propensity to keep their Meta's high is even harder.....I'm watching RDR2 and LOU2 and RDR2 only has 99 reviews whereas LOU2 just released and already has 112...

m5oNVQH.png

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I cringed at Joe's review of Last of Us Part 2, he complained the game for what it isn't and failed to appreciate it for what it is and gave a 6/10, like really? That being said I didn't see him making any sexist remark, did he in spoiler discussion video?
What TLOU2 "IS" is a massive pile of shit that only Neil Cuckman could produce. I say that as someone who loved the first game. A 6 of 10 is probably a little generous.

Last edited:

manfestival

I think if you go to a country in Africa or China it'd be applicable to white men as well. It's pretty much how the majority disses minorities everywhere.

The only difference is that in Western white-majority countries people strive for fair treatment of minorities as a sign of advanced society while in less developed countries it's not on the agenda of the day.
This statement is so out of touch with reality. You say one thing(about Africa and China) and then I guess pretend that only western white majority countries as you put it are the only ones that do this. I have traveled and lived in Latin America and can say that this is untrue. Such things also exist in those places despite not being "white majority" places.

sobaka770

Banned
This statement is so out of touch with reality. You say one thing(about Africa and China) and then I guess pretend that only western white majority countries as you put it are the only ones that do this. I have traveled and lived in Latin America and can say that this is untrue. Such things also exist in those places despite not being "white majority" places.

Sorry I think you misundersood my post or maybe I worded poorly but the point was that all countries do it based on majority-minority basis so i think we agree?

carlosrox

Banned
Not a fan of Angry Joe but this is some high level bullshit.

Fuck ResetEra. I tried to make things work there and still I got banned for wrongthink.

But you can be super racist against whites, make jokes and memes when a suicidal person disappears, and everything will be okay.

Fuck off ResetEra. You're all hypocrites.

They are more worried about the right pronouns to use for people than actually discussing alleged wrongdoing in some of their other threads. Someone needs to cut back on whatever crazy pills they are taking over there.

Shantae

Banned
I can understand why someone like Joe might be upset by the blacklisting he's getting over at Era. They have way too much influence over the industry, and while he maintains his independence in terms of most content he produces, he still does go to trade shows and such. He's gonna be looked down upon in the industry because of these era assholes, and because of their influence spreading to publishers, and other people in the field he's in.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
GameSpot, who they?
they are game journalists

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'm also not the biggest fan of AJ - his reviews are often very malinformed, criticizing games for stuff that makes little sense (e.g. critizing them for not being something they don't even try to be).
It really lacks the information and objectivity factor that a proper review should have.

But be that as it may, they are often hilarious to watch. And definitely not any kind of -ism or -ist.
It is funny to see how the extremists keep pushing away absolutely everyone with any kind of sanity left.

ShadowNate

What does a "deplatform" entail? Is he banned from posting there or do they remove posts with his videos and maybe ban those who post them?

Both are equally insane reactions for that forum, of course. But just wanted to know what their current level of alert is.

Last edited:

Rikkori

What does a "deplatform" entail? Is he banned from posting there or do they remove posts with his videos and maybe ban those who post them?

Both are equally insane reactions for that forum, of course. But just wanted to know what their current level of alert is.

Both. They want to erase any evidence of him even existing, on their forums.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So... reeeeeeee deplatformed Joe.

Can we "platform" him now?
They're a very tiny fraction of loonies on the internet. There are 100s of millions of people on YouTube who don't care. He still has his millions of fans on YouTube too. They're really nothing, but sadly people give them attention when they shouldn't.

Paracelsus

I can understand why someone like Joe might be upset by the blacklisting he's getting over at Era. They have way too much influence over the industry, and while he maintains his independence in terms of most content he produces, he still does go to trade shows and such. He's gonna be looked down upon in the industry because of these era assholes, and because of their influence spreading to publishers, and other people in the field he's in.

Soon there won't be any trade shows left because everybody will be afraid of being accused of molesting someone.

The coordinated waves of attacks come from private unsearchable groups called "whisper networks". Although meant for women, some men, like one in particular from GS, are in one that attempt to defund anyone that they find undesirable. This is why a "dev" like Neil Drunkman down to an attacking jerno at IGN or GS all have the same verbiage i.e. "-ist, "-phobe" and other hits like "misogynist'".

"A whisper network is an informal chain of information passed privately between women. It is typically a list of powerful people in an industry alleged as being sexual harassers or abusers."

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
For me it was quite surprising that AJ handled both the Gamespot guy and the resetera ban with grace, he didnt freak out or go on a rant, I think its quite a start contrast from the way he flies off the handle in his videos.

I like AJ but I have to admit some of the points he makes in his reviews are weak or misguided. For example, he criticised one of the Halo in his reviews for being 4 hours long. But he played co-op with a friend, on NORMAL! So yes he made the game short for himself, and then complained about its length. For his TLOU2 review he made a lot of valid points but also I felt that often he needs to make space within the review for drama and comedy sketches, which I love, but sometimes they feel forced. Before you even watch you know what they would be like. Just let it be sometimes Joe.

As per resetera, it often feels like every single poster is a teenager girl. SO MUCH DRAMA. Sometimes its healthy to remember that they are only a small part of the internet.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

The coordinated waves of attacks come from private unsearchable groups called "whisper networks". Although meant for women, some men, like one in particular from GS, are in one that attempt to defund anyone that they find undesirable. This is why a "dev" like Neil Drunkman down to an attacking jerno at IGN or GS all have the same verbiage i.e. "-ist, "-phobe" and other hits like "misogynist'".

"A whisper network is an informal chain of information passed privately between women. It is typically a list of powerful people in an industry alleged as being sexual harassers or abusers."

Interesting. This channel just release a video talking about the whisper network in the comic industry.

But knowing the way these whisper network people act, it will end up destroying each other.

Paracelsus

Half of them post on resetera. This is why gaming journalism, simply isn't journalism.

Interesting. This channel just release a video talking about the whisper network in the comic industry.

But knowing the way these whisper network people act, it will end up destroying each other.

What happened to videogaming, gaming journalism and Angry Joe fits.

That's why they get triggered by the word censorship.
Censorship implies dishonesty and lack of virtue.
Making it so every single person in the industry fits this stereotype is censorship.

hiUmSVX.png

Whisper Networks in the gaming industry have their connections in all social media, journalism and funding websites. If, say Neil Druckman, wanted a disagreeable reviewer to be cancelled and lose his livelihood and ability to feed his/her children, he would simply have the gatekeeper in the network at Youtube cancel and ghost their channel, then have the gatekeeper at Patreon cancel their income. This is unethical behavior and, if done in the open, the employee would normally be fired, but the higher-ups support them. Naughty Dog already broke the law by using a proxy to get Youtube channels shut down for even mentioning their game before it was released. Most likely allowed to do so without repercussion because of their network connection at Youtube. I warned Joe in a comment a few months ago they were coming for him. I posted here months ago that the PS5 reveal would be a woke-tsunami. I posted here that they are coming for Japan gaming and anime as we speak. What does this have to do with you? Well, say you want to be a dev or work in gaming and you said something one of them didn't like...

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Fun fact, since this controversy his follower count raised from 3,25 mln to 3,27 mln.

This is quite common, when controversy attracts the attention of people who would not otherwise have heard of the accused. I also think that somebody watching AJ reviews for the first time without looking for controversy would largely like his content. He is funny and their sketches are quite clever.

Top Bottom