• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Given Wednesday w/Bill Simmons |OT| Grantland Died For This- Premieres June 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have preferred having one guest as I don't think they spent enough time with Barkley and 30 minutes seems pretty short for 2 guests + monologue + taped bits.

Chase17

That was alright. Only first show so still room for improvement. Affleck definitely seemed off. Probably just need one guest, although I imagine that's where it will go and they want to get big names early.

Favorite part may have been chuck as the credits rolled.

knicks

What the fuck is wrong with Ben Affleck? Did he gain weight? His mouth is like barely opening when he is talking.

ShowDog

The interviews definitely felt way too abridged. I would have liked to hear Barkley's thoughts on Ingram vs Simmons before it was cut off, along with Affleck's feelings on playing Batman. Like seriously how the fuck did those two topics just disappear when they were about to get good?

Simmons was also talking way too fast, I literally couldn't understand what he was saying from time to time and I listen to his podcasts regularly and don't have trouble there. But I know that will get better as he settles into the role. He's got some weird head movements to tone down too.

Affleck looked... weird. And Charles sweaty upper lip damn man! Make your guests look good Bill or no one will want to be on the show.

ryseing

So we all agree Affleck was drunk? He went off for a little too long on that lol

Affleck was definitely on something. I know why they put so much of his rant in (they're hoping it goes viral) but it went on far too long.

Monologues were good. I agree with sticking to one guest. In for the rest of the season.

Besides them constantly reminding me the Warriors lost, I very much enjoyed the show. His banter with Chuck was great, and the segments in between were pretty funny. Even their dumb Under Armour commercial was making me laugh.

Loved Barkley, aside from his sweaty upper lip. Wish his segment could've been doubled. As far as Affleck, initially I truly appreciated how raw and open he was, except I felt bad at the end when I realized this was just a little cry for helpish.

The whole "I'll play Tom! I'll shout that I'm the greatest!!! ... football player ever!" bit was surreal.

Bread

Banned
Tell em Ben!

The interview with Chuck was hilarious, they have a great rapport. The Affleck part was a little boring but only because I know all of these facts and tell them to every person I meet on the street.

Nameless

At its heart it's The Bill Simmons [video] podcast, which exactly what it needed to be, that's what he's good at.

I loved it. It's basically a video version of his podcast. Saw that affleck/Simmons deflate gate rant coming a mile away but I was still caught off guard by how faded he was haha. It was fun.

Both were drunk. Simmons just has a better handle on not ranting like a drunk person. His eyes look just as glassed over as Affleck's, if not more. Still, it was a fun segment.

The comic nerds are bombarding the youtube comments tho yikes. Plus I don't get ppl saying he looks like he needs help. It's just two drunk dudes going into fanboy mode over the pats.

This shit has been gone over with on Simmons podcast like 20 times now with the same amount of fervor. I see why it came up with him and affleck but he better not keep mentioning it every week.

spyder_ur

I watched it a couple nights ago. It felt bizarrely unpolished to me, given that it's an HBO show and wasn't live. Affleck stuff, not looking into the camera, weird pauses. I get that it's the first episode, but it's not live. I hope the Simmons monologue thing isn't the routine - it really doesn't fit him on air.

Barkley was awesome. He and Simmons have an awesome rapport. At the same time I kinda kept wondering why the TV show is any better than a podcast.

Also, they hired a bunch of writers for this show right? - I've heard a few on Ringer podcasts and they seem funny. What exactly are they writing for? Simmons could do these interviews from his couch - he quite literally has in the past. I'm curious what they have planned.

Squalor

When Simmons isn't trying to be overly analytical and isn't talking about a Boston sports team, he's at his best.

Since the draft just happened, I can imagine a good portion of next Wednesday's episode will be spent talking about the Celtics. Meh.

3 interviews is way too much for 30 minutes. Last one was feeling rushed and I really wanted a bit more affleck tbh

Loved the pilot but they gotta rethink using their time.

ShowDog

Simmons wanted to do this show for an hour and they talked him down to 30 mins. But it's obvious from last week and the upcoming guest list he still wants to do all the same shit in 30 mins he had envisioned for an hour. He should just bump it to an hour, it doesn't work when the jokes, references and interviews all feel rushed and forced due to the abridged delivery.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Simmons wanted to do this show for an hour and they talked him down to 30 mins. But it's obvious from last week and the upcoming guest list he still wants to do all the same shit in 30 mins he had envisioned for an hour. He should just bump it to an hour, it doesn't work when the jokes, references and interviews all feel rushed and forced due to the abridged delivery.

Yep -- I thought the move to 30m was really dumb when I heard it. Simmons' lane is going deep on stuff, not quick-hit takes (except for his Twitter feed) so no idea where this recent obsession with terseness comes from other than just trying to stay hip with media trends.

ryseing

3 interviews is way too much for 30 minutes. Last one was feeling rushed and I really wanted a bit more affleck tbh

Loved the pilot but they gotta rethink using their time.

To be fair, there isn't a ton for him to monologue on this week unless you want a draft rant from him, which he already did in Friday's pod. Only thing happening is soccer and we know how he feels about that.

Related- summer's a tough time to launch a show like this. We might see him lean heavier into pop culture until NFL returns.

TripOpt55

Big improvement on the first ep. Really enjoyed all of it. I'm glad he got more questions off for Hader than Affleck too. That made that more fun for me personally. Thought the little Knicks and GoT segments were good too.

The Cuban / Gladwell segment was pretty good and his interview with Hader was actually fucking great. Always wondered how Hader got that coveted spot in the legendary South Park writers room.

The Knicks bit hurt me inside but was funny. But sad... But true.

Sigh...

ryseing

RIP Grantland's video archives and Theon's dick.

Insert rant here about how the Gladwell/Cuban and Hader pieces were really good and needed to be longer. Sigh. Fishsticks.

Kwhit10

RIP Grantland's video archives and Theon's dick.

Insert rant here about how the Gladwell/Cuban and Hader pieces were really good and needed to be longer. Sigh. Fishsticks.

At least they are open to releasing smaller clips of the unaired stuff like they did with the first episode.

spyder_ur

I liked this episode better, especially since the segment with Cuban and Gladwell was pretty good. I still feel like I'm not getting anything I couldn't get from a podcast - in fact I can get way more from a podcast since it's longer and more natural. Simmons' little bits are so awkward (only thing more awkward is the way he sits).

Also, is there a laugh track or is that just the staff laughing in the background? Either way it needs to end.

Klosterman is listed as a Consultant on this week's credits, I just noticed. That's interesting.

I liked this episode better, especially since the segment with Cuban and Gladwell was pretty good. I still feel like I'm not getting anything I couldn't get from a podcast - in fact I can get way more from a podcast since it's longer and more natural. Simmons' little bits are so awkward (only thing more awkward is the way he sits).

Also, is there a laugh track or is that just the staff laughing in the background? Either way it needs to end.

Klosterman is listed as a Consultant on this week's credits, I just noticed. That's interesting.

it's the staff laughing. i like it, feels genuine.

really enjoying this show at the moment (I liked his conversation with all 3 guests this week), but man it feels really rushed right now. he's making use of most of those 30 minutes, he should maybe cut his monologue or something.

Lunar FC

it's the staff laughing. i like it, feels genuine.

really enjoying this show at the moment (I liked his conversation with all 3 guests this week), but man it feels really rushed right now. he's making use of most of those 30 minutes, he should maybe cut his monologue or something.

This is HBO, I thought they do the whole 'make the episode how long it needs to be' thing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
He wanted to do an hour but they insisted on starting with a half-hour.
I don't think he was forced but he just took their advice to start at 30 and scale up if needed. If you listen to him he's very much treating these first ten episodes as a beta, which is interesting. Kind of funny how he's swung so far from long stuff to this given AGW and Ringer itself.

jbug617

Banned
Joe Rogan, Chris Bosh and Anthony Anderson for this week.

Cmpljp9UcAAnl9B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom