• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! So, Grantland 2.0.

I wonder if this is separate from the HBO show? I'd imagine it likely is.

logo.jpg

For some reason this doesn't feel like the logo for a Grantland 2.0 to me.

For some reason this doesn't feel like the logo for a Grantland 2.0 to me.

I'm probably reading too much into this but I assume the waves mean that the focus is going to be on audio/video content.

Duh, yeah you're probably right. Couple interesting tweets from James Andrew Miller:

1 clear truth re @BillSimmons & @ringer: in today's content world, it doesn't have to be about where you work; it's about who you work with.

2nd clear truth re @BillSimmons & @ringer: Cash = truth. Why give $ away to corp when you can create your own ecosystem & really kill it.

3rd clear truth re @BillSimmons & @ringer: Nothing better than being your own boss, especially if going rogue is your favorite indoor sport.

4th clear truth re: @BillSimmons & @ringer: No one individual monetizes a following for intellectual capital in sports better than Simmons.

spyder_ur

"Riffs from our writers" indicates there's going to be written content though.

For sure, but the quality and depth of Grantland's writing went way beyond riffs. I'm not expecting this to be Grantland 2.0, maybe more like the respective sports and pop culture blogs that were on that site. Which is fine.

This is totally independent of HBO, right? So he has the content deal with HBO, and this site and the podcast network that he is operating independently, right?

Good for him. We may never see another decent article from him though, which is sad.

Edit: I hadn't seen the other Grantlanders that followed today. Interesting. Particularly Bryan Curtis.

Bill Simmons unveils new site's name: The Ringer - CNN

Bill Simmons' new Grantland will be called The Ringer, and it will be populated by many ex-Grantland staffers.

Simmons announced the website and a launch timeline on Wednesday morning.

The Ringer will be "the exclusive home to all of Simmons' written material," according to his spokesman, while HBO will be his home on TV.

It will start as an email newsletter in mid-March. The actual site "will debut sometime this late spring or early summer," the spokesman said.

Simmons has been assembling a team of editors, writers and podcast producers for several months. Many of the hires, like editor in chief Sean Fennessey, are alums of Grantland, the ESPN-backed site that Simmons headed until last spring.

After his falling out with ESPN, a number of key staffers also exited Grantland. ESPN shut the site down in October.

On Wednesday, at the same time Simmons announced his new site's name, he also revealed several more new hires, including another seven former Grantlanders: Craig Gaines, Bryan Curtis, Ryan O'Hanlon, Danny Chau, Riley McAtee, Joe Fuentes, and Tate Frazier.

Just like Grantland, The Ringer will have culture coverage; the site said Wednesday that Amanda Dobbins, formerly of Glamour, will be the deputy editor for culture.

Maybe it will be Grantland 2.0 with even more pop culture.

bionic77

Much more interested in his website than his show.

Bill has been consistently horrible on television. I don't see that changing by going to HBO.

Wonder if they will be able to make money doing Grantland 2.0. I have no idea how people make money online though so I have no opinion or thoughts about their chances.

Grantland did have a lot of great content so hopefully they can continue that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It doesn't seem like they are going to be writing a lot of about sports, and are putting more focus on culture with a former Glamour editor.

Quixzlizx

I hope he manages to find a good basketball writer or two.

I don't even know how to search for Zach Lowe's articles on ESPN's shitty site.

ryseing

Probably just confirming that he's going to be a full-time part of the Ringer vs. a PA they had for the podcasts.

Give Tate his own pod.

It doesn't seem like they are going to be writing a lot of about sports, and are putting more focus on culture with a former Glamour editor.

Amanda's been quite good with Juliet so I have no problem with this.

Also, hope netw3rk jumps on this site too.

He's the only one missing out of the Watch the Thrones crew.

flyover

I hope he manages to find a good basketball writer or two.

I don't even know how to search for Zach Lowe's articles on ESPN's shitty site.
And when you do find them, they look like garbage (at least on desktop), unless you Instapaper them. I hate reading anything at their site. Grantland was designed so much better.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The culture writing at GL was always stronger than their sports writing tbh

Disagree, I found their pop culture stuff mostly vapid. Rembert Browne, no thanks. Loved Girls with Hoodies though. Meanwhile he brought on some of the best young sportswriters.

But, it's fine, as long as Simmons keeps podcasting about sports I'll take it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I can find writers of comparable quality to those guys at other pubs. Not as good, but comparable.

Wesley Morris though? Cmon son

Morris is the outlier though, he was only ever working for Simmons, and he's back in NY doing his thing. Some of Rembert's stuff was good, though it feels like he dropped a level near the end.

Really, never heard of the Football Outsider guys? Or the gawd Lee Jenkins at SI? How about Tom Ziller at SBNation and Howard Beck at BR? People writing at MMQB not named Peter King?

They're all very very good.

They're good - no doubt; but

a) several of the FO folks ended up writing for Grantland / ESPN in many fashions (A lot of Schatz / Verhei stuff ended up on ESPN), and I'd take Chris Brown over any of the FO guys.

b) Barnwell > Schatz / Verhei / etc, Mays is now on MMQB (ex-Grantlander), and Lowe > Jenkins for consistent output. (the Jenkins article on LeBron was so good though).

Even when they were letting him run free content-wise, he wasn't happy with how they were(n't) monetizing the site, podcasts, etc.

True, he has been beating that drum lately, but I feel like that was never a big concern back when things were going well.

I love Bill's work, have followed him since the early Page 2 days, but he comes off like a petulant child at times. I'm not siding with ESPN on their split, I think ESPN screwed up a ton, but Bill is totally playing the martyr here.

Morris is the outlier though, he was only ever working for Simmons, and he's back in NY doing his thing. Some of Rembert's stuff was good, though it feels like he dropped a level near the end.

They're good - no doubt; but

a) several of the FO folks ended up writing for Grantland / ESPN in many fashions (A lot of Schatz / Verhei stuff ended up on ESPN), and I'd take Chris Brown over any of the FO guys.

b) Barnwell > Schatz / Verhei / etc, Mays is now on MMQB (ex-Grantlander), and Lowe > Jenkins for consistent output. (the Jenkins article on LeBron was so good though).

Again, the level of thought and discourse occurring at these other places are very much comparable.

Don't see anybody write them Pappademas level Obits though. As morbid as it sounds.

True, he has been beating that drum lately, but I feel like that was never a big concern back when things were going well.

I love Bill's work, have followed him since the early Page 2 days, but he comes off like a petulant child at times. I'm not siding with ESPN on their split, I think ESPN screwed up a ton, but Bill is totally playing the martyr here.

There's only so much Deflate-Gate whining I can take.

Fjordson

Still would easily take Lowe over any of those mentioned for bball. Football stuff I admit ignorance. Don't read a ton of football writers.

But I guess it's true, the sports stuff from Grantland is being done elsewhere somewhat with those guys still having columns. Trying to find stuff similar to Grantland's entertainment writing has been more difficult.

The real sadness for me though is that they can't be on the podcast. Lowe Post is solid but he and Bill were amazing on pods.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Even when they were letting him run free content-wise, he wasn't happy with how they were(n't) monetizing the site, podcasts, etc.

As I understand it, Grantland was losing money and Simmons' was frustrated that they were basically allowing the site to fail by blocking any kind of monetization.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Again, the level of thought and discourse occurring at these other places are very much comparable.

Don't see anybody write them Pappademas level Obits though. As morbid as it sounds.

There's only so much Deflate-Gate whining I can take.

Eh, I think Barnwell and Lowe are just a tier above the other FO writers / Woj / Jenkins / SI.

Amen on the deflategate whining - the one thing I miss about Bill being on ESPN is that occasionally Barnwell would keep him in check, and Lowe would flat out call him out every time he said something super homer-y / stupid about the NBA. The trade pod on Monday was full of so many "The Celtics get Kevin Love for this pupu platter!" trades that someone needed to smack him and tell him to pull his ass out of his head.

The lack of Grantland has definitely left a hole in my daily reading, such a great site. I basically now google "Zach Lowe" to find his latest article, since ESPN buries most of the good content who knows where on its page.

Seems like Jonah Keri will be up and running on SI soon, so that's good.

Hopefully the Ringer brings some great new sports writing to the fold. I hope Simmons can get some more great NBA content.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is it really that hard to find someone to make a decent logo? Feel like he could have made a thread on GAF, offered 50 bucks for creator of the chosen logo, and got dozens of better ones.

That Robert Smigel interview was great. Especially the Star Wars Spock F word sign anecdote. I feel like since Simmons hangs with comics like Kimmel (blech) and Carolla (blech!) and Jeff Ross (ARGGLE *BARF NOISE*) he defaults to that "EVERYTHING IS TOO PC" stance almost immediately every time. Nice to see smart guys like Smigel having a different view on the issue.

It's the same with what Louis CK's said lately about his old F word routine._

O and JackO delivers the goods per usual.

gazele

Banned
I just feel like Simmons holds back a lot on the political talk

It's weird, I'm sure he doesn't want to upset people, but it's weird to even bring it up then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom