• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double post, but can't be helped. I can't believe there are no other comments on Wesley Morris absolutely wrecking the institutional racism of the studios last week. It was a great podcast. The way he explains it, accurate or not, is that it's not the academy that has to change, but the studios. They are the ones who choose which films to promote to the academy, and they tend to focus on the ones they think will get them the statue. HINT: The White ones.

Anyway, today is the day and the podcast is up. We get to finally listen to Bill in a losing effort. And then having Roman Reigns go out the way he did, must have been a dark day in the Simmons house yesterday. ;)

I would do a Bill Simmons OT but I'll just be talking to myself again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Morris and Simmons referenced this coordinated campaign of homophobic slurs against ODB, and some Out Magazine piece about it? It sounded much worse than what I remember being reported (some players allegedly using slurs, denying it, NFL finding nothing) and I couldn't find any specific article about it, just generic coverage. Any ideas?

Draxal

Morris and Simmons referenced this coordinated campaign of homophobic slurs against ODB, and some Out Magazine piece about it? It sounded much worse than what I remember being reported (some players allegedly using slurs, denying it, NFL finding nothing) and I couldn't find any specific article about it, just generic coverage. Any ideas?

It's not really documented ... but it's not a stretch to imagine as NFL players trash talk all the time, which is probably what Simmons is inferring to.

Did he cover Francesa leaving the FAN at 2016, he's a huge Francesa fanboy so he probably did.

I think he was referring to this article on Outsports: http://www.outsports.com/2015/12/29/10657096/odell-beckham-gay-slurs-giants-panthers

Reading it now because I hadn't realized this incident was that terrible, or swept under the rug faster.

Double post, but can't be helped. I can't believe there are no other comments on Wesley Morris absolutely wrecking the institutional racism of the studios last week. It was a great podcast. The way he explains it, accurate or not, is that it's not the academy that has to change, but the studios. They are the ones who choose which films to promote to the academy, and they tend to focus on the ones they think will get them the statue. HINT: The White ones.

Yeah, that was a really good point by Wesley Morris that I hadn't considered myself. And it makes a lot of sense. After all, this same Academy nominated a large number of minorities for the prestige awards just two years ago, but that was primarily for a film, "12 Years a Slave", that had Oscar-bait written all over it, and was pushed by the studio. (The only minority nominated that year who wasn't in "12 Years a Slave" was newcomer Barkhad Abdi for his role in "Captain Phillips".)

The Academy membership likely hasn't changed significantly since then, so it makes a lot of sense that the studios are the bigger cause of how diverse the nominees are from year to year. But then again, maybe the Academy needs to take a closer look at how they vote and attempt to avoid the studios nudging them in certain directions.

The NFL and the Giants wanted no parts of that becoming a story. Which, in a way, sort of makes sense if ODB is indeed gay but does not want to come out. The NFL might have thought that if they dig deeper into this issue they could unintentionally out him.

Yeah, that was a really good point by Wesley Morris that I hadn't considered myself. And it makes a lot of sense. After all, this same Academy nominated a large number of minorities for the prestige awards just two years ago, but that was primarily for a film, "12 Years a Slave", that had Oscar-bait written all over it, and was pushed by the studio. (The only minority nominated that year who wasn't in "12 Years a Slave" was newcomer Barkhad Abdi for his role in "Captain Phillips".)

The Academy membership likely hasn't changed significantly since then, so it makes a lot of sense that the studios are the bigger cause of how diverse the nominees are from year to year. But then again, maybe the Academy needs to take a closer look at how they vote and attempt to avoid the studios nudging them in certain directions.

Calling 12 Years A Slave "Oscar bait" is... uh... not accurate.

Draxal

The NFL and the Giants wanted no parts of that becoming a story. Which, in a way, sort of makes sense if ODB is indeed gay but does not want to come out. The NFL might have thought that if they dig deeper into this issue they could unintentionally out him.

I think it's more likely is that it's much more widespread than just ODB being the target of the slurs and they don't want that publicized it after all the goodwill they had with Michael Sam.

Calling 12 Years A Slave "Oscar bait" is... uh... not accurate.

Perhaps I'm not using the term right. I'm not saying it was "Oscar bait" in the sense that "12 Years a Slave" was created specifically for the purpose of chasing Oscars, just that it checks the right boxes for the type of film one would assume the Academy would vote for.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's pretty messed up. I mean even if the dude denies it, it would paint him in a much better light if he actually was the target of a slur campaign and just blew up at it ultimately. But I guess the Panthers would just deny it all and doesn't seem to be anything concrete out there (about the slurs, not ODB's sexuality, which I don't want to pry into).

Schryver

Yeah all I remember hearing about some trash talk between ODB and Carolina that game but this sounds way worse. Want the Broncos to win even more now.

Exokell

Banned
So this girl lied?
odell21.jpg

KingKong

Is it just me or did Bill become way more juvenile now that he's no longer part of ESPN? I don't remember him doing this many dirty jokes and making orgasm noises before

ryseing

Is it just me or did Bill become way more juvenile now that he's no longer part of ESPN? I don't remember him doing this many dirty jokes and making orgasm noises before

His bit about Bernie Sanders and free blowjobs for everyone got me.

This is basically him, of course he had to tone it down for ESPN. If you read his 'Book of Basketball' the ridiculous stories he tells are amazing.

Tony Kornheiser had Rick Barry on his show the other day and Rick complained about Bill, "how can the guy call me a jerk when he's never met me? " Tony said he'd get them together, I'd love to hear that conversation.

I also made a bunch of stupid prop bets. Go tails!

jbug617

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bill-simmons-taps-daily-show-864270

HBO and Simmons announced Thursday that The Daily Show's Stuart Miller will serve as executive producer on the forthcoming talk show, set to bow later in 2016, while fellow Daily Show alum Jason Ross will serve as head writer and TV vet and essayist Kim Gamble will serve as co-EP.

“I learned from my Grantland experience how important a good inner circle is and now, we're building a terrific one for HBO," said Simmons. "These are three creative, innovative, curious people and that's exactly the spirit of the TV show we want to create. My only regret is that none of them root for Boston teams."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Never liked anything Simmons did on tv.

His podcast was always good but he really needs some guests.

I've enjoyed his podcasts a good deal since he's come back, but it is weird how he's gotten so few guests of note. I don't necessarily like the celeb/sports-star interviews, but it is good to have them in there maybe once a week just to mix things up, and you get the occasional gem. I mean he's friends or at least friends of friends with a bunch of celebs, so I don't know why he doesn't at least get the pipeline going that way.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've enjoyed his podcasts a good deal since he's come back, but it is weird how he's gotten so few guests of note. I don't necessarily like the celeb/sports-star interviews, but it is good to have them in there maybe once a week just to mix things up, and you get the occasional gem. I mean he's friends or at least friends of friends with a bunch of celebs, so I don't know why he doesn't at least get the pipeline going that way.

I kinda stopped listening to him because it was nothing but NFL Gambling With Cousin Sal/House/JackO! Like, I don't particularly find dudes just talking about betting lines with each other to be particularly interesting.

I kinda stopped listening to him because it was nothing but NFL Gambling With Cousin Sal/House/JackO! Like, I don't particularly find dudes just talking about betting lines with each other to be particularly interesting.

This weeks episode with Al Michaels is really good.

bionic77

Charles Barkley was a good one recently
True but Barkley is great on anything.

Still that was a really good one. I can listen to Bill and Sal (who is amazing) every week but House gets a little old. He needs some guests. I wonder if ESPN is cockblocking some of his guests to keep them in network?

Fjordson

I'm kinda the opposite. Cousin Sal/House/Hbob etc. are a lot more interesting with Simmons than a celeb guest (like Barkley recently and his nonsensical analysis) for me.

I thought the NBA one from a few days ago with Hbob was one of the best episodes yet.

Griss

It's funny because those are the only ones I listen to. Reminds me so much of me and my little brother guessing the lines each week. Couldn't give a shit about listening to Bill blow smoke up some guest's asshole.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
whynotboth.gif

Also I'd only want Bill to have guests he actually wanted. Not the cringe-filled Durant, Boogie, and Super-Bowl podcasts. I love Sal and the gang and I wouldn't want to ever lose any of those, but variety is definitely good.

I don't mind House or Sal but I agree having 2 pods centered around NFL gambling every week was a bit of an overkill for me. I would usually FF through the NFL stuff with House on Friday and skip to the NBA talk.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't mind House or Sal but I agree having 2 pods centered around NFL gambling every week was a bit of an overkill for me. I would usually FF through the NFL stuff with House on Friday and skip to the NBA talk.

That reminds me: I like House, and I'm totally cool with two NFL segments a week (always thought it was weird Simbo guessed the lines but didn't pick the games), but House was pretty insufferable when his only contributions were spouting off random angles ('the AFC team in an inter-conference early game coming off a night game where they lost by 4 or more, but covered, is 15-9 in the last 25 years") he got from someone else.

Michaels pod is fantastic as always.

spyder_ur

The Michaels' pod was really good. Enjoyed it.

I wish we were getting more NBA podcasts. One problem is that the guys that he regularly talked NBA with are mostly ESPN guys - Lowe, Stein, Bucher, Jalen, etc. It's too bad.

I thought Simmons' show was this spring, but he said at the end of his last pod 'sometime this summer', or something to that effect.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was hoping Simmons would call JackO after Marcobot blue screened, but I don't think Bill is that plugged in.

In one pod Simmons said he and Lowe call each other up and basically do the podcast. Sigh...

At least Lowe Post is still quality.

spyder_ur

I was hoping Simmons would call JackO after Marcobot blue screened, but I don't think Bill is that plugged in.

In one pod Simmons said he and Lowe call each other up and basically do the podcast. Sigh...

It is, but I can't read Zach Lowe articles in all their glory on that abomination that is the ESPN web site. It's terrible. I took Grantland for granted.

I really like Amin Elhassan too. That ESPN pod he does isn't bad.

h1nch

I don't really see the prob w/ his guest lineup so far. As others have mentioned, he's had Haralabob and Al Michaels this week (Haralabob alone is a better NBA voice than 90% of the folks employed at ESPN) He had Barkley last week. All of those pods were great. His eps w/ Chuck Klosterman and Malcolm Gladwell are always good discussions as well. And I especially liked the one he did w/ Casey Wasserman.

One thing I will say is that since he left ESPN, his pod has become more interesting. It's not just being able to swear, but I feel like the conversations have gone in directions that they'd have never been able to go if he was still at ESPN.

I do wonder what he plans to do now that the NFL season is over. Is he still going to have Cousin Sal on mondays, or will that pod be different? Maybe he goes guests Mon/Wed, and then Friday Rollin' w/ House. That would be swell.

gogosox82

I like House and Sal on the show. Jacko is getting a little tired for me because he seemingly only calls to troll him about the republican party/Donald Trump. Might be more interesting when baseball season gets closer though. His guests have been pretty good too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't really see the prob w/ his guest lineup so far. As others have mentioned, he's had Haralabob and Al Michaels this week (Haralabob alone is a better NBA voice than 90% of the folks employed at ESPN) He had Barkley last week. All of those pods were great. His eps w/ Chuck Klosterman and Malcolm Gladwell are always good discussions as well. And I especially liked the one he did w/ Casey Wasserman.

One thing I will say is that since he left ESPN, his pod has become more interesting. It's not just being able to swear, but I feel like the conversations have gone in directions that they'd have never been able to go if he was still at ESPN.

I do wonder what he plans to do now that the NFL season is over. Is he still going to have Cousin Sal on mondays, or will that pod be different? Maybe he goes guests Mon/Wed, and then Friday Rollin' w/ House. That would be swell.

Maybe you misunderstood, I like the show.

I just wanted to see JackO whine about his golden boy going down in flames.

jtb

Banned
dunno if it was posted already but MTV is going to be grantland 2.0

was an article in bloomberg about it... Fierman, Pappademas, a few others heading up their editorial staff. should be great.

and yes, jacko melting down over rubio would've been too good... already threw a few tantrums on twitter about it lol

Faddy

Banned
That reminds me: I like House, and I'm totally cool with two NFL segments a week (always thought it was weird Simbo guessed the lines but didn't pick the games), but House was pretty insufferable when his only contributions were spouting off random angles ('the AFC team in an inter-conference early game coming off a night game where they lost by 4 or more, but covered, is 15-9 in the last 25 years") he got from someone else.

Michaels pod is fantastic as always.

I'm with you on House. Good guest but loses me when he goes on these statbursts. But he is getting them from a professional gambler and that really is how they do a lot of their business. They look for small edges, histories, trends to try and predict the future. Advanced stats is a huge part of pro gambling but I don't listen to Bill for stats, I want hot takes, fast and loose analysis, someone willing to say something and be wrong. (e.g. Peyton Manning doesn't have a tight end).

Chad Millman at ESPN has a good gambling podcast (he was semi-regular on Bill's podcast) called Behind the Bets where he talks to the odds setter at a major Vegas books and pro-gamblers.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I love any episode where he's got Wesley Morris, Bill Barnwell, or Chuck Klosterman. Those are all great episodes in addition to any that he may have a guest on. (hint: Al Michaels is awesome!)

bionic77

The commercials are annoying.

I got spoiled by the lack of them during the podcasts when he was @ ESPN.

I know he needs to eat but I like when commercials are kept at the beginning and end of podcasts.

bionic77

Man, this Al Michaels episode was great. That dude's just the best.
That podcast was scary.

I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables and just learned that they are poison for my body from a 70 year old man who looks to be in fantastic shape and got that way by eating nothing but apparently meat, bread and milk.

I did like when Al didn't take Bill's bullshit about the Pat's being cheats. That almost made up for my veggie death sentence. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom