• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just feel like Simmons holds back a lot on the political talk

It's weird, I'm sure he doesn't want to upset people, but it's weird to even bring it up then

Yeah I think it's because he doesn't want to 'alienate' anyone in audience. He's pretty obviously a fairly classic Boston liberal, i.e. left leaning but not 'far left' under the current MM definition. But yeah then you get Jacko on there ranting about stuff and it's kind of awkward. (NB: Haven't gotten to Jacko part of latest podcast thought the rest has been fantastic.)

gazele

Banned
Yeah I think it's because he doesn't want to 'alienate' anyone in audience. He's pretty obviously a fairly classic Boston liberal, i.e. left leaning but not 'far left' under the current MM definition. But yeah then you get Jacko on there ranting about stuff and it's kind of awkward. (NB: Haven't gotten to Jacko part of latest podcast thought the rest has been fantastic.)

They joke about moving to Canada (hate when people say this) and it's like, under what circumstances would they both move out of the USA? I guess Trump president?

diffusionx

Gold Member

Still, it's nice to see someone who is obviously a Democrat talk politics with a Republican without it turning into a total poop show.

I would stab someone in the face with a spoon for a job at The Ringer. It so was painful to listen to the last episode. "Oh I'm building a media empire in LA with a bunch of talented people in a beautiful office and it's going to be awesome to live life and come to work everyday! yay!" Screw you Bill! I work in a state office with corpses and life sucks.

Happy Friday.

Curufinwe

I bet JackO would like the Republican nominee on House of Cards.

Does anyone here listen to the non-Simmons Channel 33 podcasts? I listen to the TV ones with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald because I want to hear some discussion about the big shows on TV and haven't found a better alternative, but they're really sanctimonious and not very funny despite how much of the podcasts is just them giggling.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Does anyone here listen to the non-Simmons Channel 33 podcasts? I listen to the TV ones with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald because I want to hear some discussion about the big shows on TV and haven't found a better alternative, but they're really sanctimonious and not very funny despite how much of the podcasts is just them giggling.

I really only listen to that one when it takes over BS pod. Those guys seem good-spirited but I just don't find them that interesting. It's like listening to an audio version of a semi-hip TV blog. :p I like the Juliet ones generally though. Bachelor ones are very good if you watch Bachelor. Big If I know.

jbug617

Banned
Simmons on the podcast today said the next set of hires for The Ringer will be announced on Monday.
He also reconfirmed that nobody from ESPN can be on his podcast because ESPN banned them from doing it.

Might be because Sal is only on ESPN because of the Kimmel connection. He's probably not an ESPN employee in the traditional sense. It's probably a "he's contracted by ABC for Kimmel, so he shows up on ESPN" situation.

Also, I have zero doubt that Sal would happily say, "OK, I'm not going on Sportscenter anymore" because it's not like ABC gives two fucks about the ESPN-Simmons feud, especially when ESPN is becoming a financial anchor on the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars Empire.

Greenwald solo interviewing people is much better. I still think the best podcast from grantland was his interview with Lindsey Buckingham.

Well logo aside I feel Bill's venture is on point culturally as usual. They are using today as basically their own "Free Agency signing period", and are announcing new staff. It's weird and yet totally fitting.

First up is Grantland-alum Katie Baker.

Cagey

Banned

The Greenwald and Ryan podcast from the Grantland days was 75% two lame white Manhattanite/Brooklyn fucks who spend 40-60 minutes making outdated upper-middle class LES hipster references or co-opting whatever slang they saw online that was big on Black Twitter 6 months ago... and 25% actual discussion of some topic. They're a brutal listen.

EDIT: I gave the Star Wars review of theirs a try, and within 5 minutes, the giggle fits inspired by one of them saying "Star Wars: The Force Woke" had me reaching to switch to something else. That shit sounds so forced from them.

Juliet Littman MVP and #1 White Girl

nba after dark was so good.

Quixzlizx

Is netw3rk better when he's tweeting? His early Grantland articles were way too tryhard to be funny, so I stopped reading them. Maybe he got better with experience?

spyder_ur

Jonathan Tjarks is a nice hire for bball writing.

This is great news. He's no Zach Lowe, but he's pretty damn good.

I have to admit I was scoffing at the idea of a Grantland 2.0 or a mass exodus to Simmons (mostly because I didn't think HBO had the appetite for that given it's not really their business nor was I sure he would find a suitable partner for it), but he's coming pretty damn close. Network was basically a given.

This is great news. He's no Zach Lowe, but he's pretty damn good.

I have to admit I was scoffing at the idea of a Grantland 2.0 or a mass exodus to Simmons (mostly because I didn't think HBO had the appetite for that given it's not really their business nor was I sure he would find a suitable partner for it), but he's coming pretty damn close. Network was basically a given.

I don't think the Ringer is an HBO venture. I'm sure they've got right of first refusal on lots of digital content coming from the Ringer, but my understanding is that the site is the start-up that he got investment dollars from people like Corolla and Kimmel to get off the ground.

spyder_ur

I don't think the Ringer is an HBO venture. I'm sure they've got right of first refusal on lots of digital content coming from the Ringer, but my understanding is that the site is the start-up that he got investment dollars from people like Corolla and Kimmel to get off the ground.

Yeah, it's not. I wasn't clear. What I meant was that when the news broke of Simmons going to HBO, it wasn't clear if this venture was a part of that. I was skeptical that Simmons' would be able to secure the quality of writers and production quality that made Grantland such a great site without the backing and financing of a media conglomerate. Since it didn't really seem like an HBO fit, I didn't think it would develop and people would be disappointed. Happy to see, at least so far, that I was wrong.

Yeah, it's not. I wasn't clear. What I meant was that when the news broke of Simmons going to HBO, it wasn't clear if this venture was a part of that. I was skeptical that Simmons' would be able to secure the quality of writers and production quality that made Grantland such a great site without the backing and financing of a media conglomerate. Since it didn't really seem like an HBO fit, I didn't think it would develop and people would be disappointed. Happy to see, at least so far, that I was wrong.

Ah! I see what you mean now. But yep looks like everybody wins in this scenario (and hopefully Lowe is figuring out some way to make it over sooner rather than later.)

Curufinwe

The Greenwald and Ryan podcast from the Grantland days was 75% two lame white Manhattanite/Brooklyn fucks who spend 40-60 minutes making outdated upper-middle class LES hipster references or co-opting whatever slang they saw online that was big on Black Twitter 6 months ago... and 25% actual discussion of some topic. They're a brutal listen.

EDIT: I gave the Star Wars review of theirs a try, and within 5 minutes, the giggle fits inspired by one of them saying "Star Wars: The Force Woke" had me reaching to switch to something else. That shit sounds so forced from them.

I thought I was maybe being harsh on them because of how asinine I found some of their GoT discussion last year, but nope, that sounds about right.

jtb

Banned
Surprised Robert Mays hasn't been snapped up yet considering he's apparently just a "freelancer" at SI. or so he says on his livereads on the much inferior MMQB podcast, anyways.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Signed up for the newsletter today, but haven't gotten it, wonder if you only receive it if you signed up by the time they send it, oh well

If you use gmail it's in the Promotions tab. I just dragged it over to inbox so it would remember going forward.

I want to say Pitino was on Mike & Mike a few weeks ago and they talked about the scandal then, so Simmons' vitriol might be misplaced.

But then, I didn't hear this morning's interview and, for that matter, didn't hear it a few weeks ago but caught the Mikes talking about it afterwards while on my drive into work, where they talked about the scandal, the self-imposed sanctions, etc.

Curufinwe

Cool, thanks, missed ask the maester

It was usually a very good column, apart from when he started letting his personal feelings towards certain book characters get in the way of objectivity. As I recall he had a real burning love for old Stannis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom