• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with Gamepass currently?

Are you happy with your Gamepass sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For sure. I think the weakest month ever is this month. And I still get Midnight Fight Express in like 10 days.

Its worth it. Some months its so worth it its kind of crazy. Some months suck lately though. Ready for more first party stuff to help in the coming years.
Thx. I just checked out the trailer for that. It looks interesting and I will give that a play for sure

Antwix

I voted the "I cancelled and I'll resub next year" but I don't really feel the last half of the option is true. Some months are obviously better than others but MS is still adding an impressive amount of games to GPU. I just took a break from it to focus on beating a bunch of the games in my backlog. Next year should be an absolute banger of a year though. GPU is really a no brainer due to Microsoft Rewards

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Game Pass is an amazing service. I converted 2.5 years of Gold for $1 and then extended 6 months via Microsoft Reward. I expire in December.

If I were a kid, for $300 and $1 subscription for the first month, you could have a boundless library of games and not pay another penny if you get in the habit of Microsoft/Game Pass Rewards.

As an adult, I'm somewhat reminded of my brief time with GameFly which didn't really alter my spending habits, I just ended up spending a lot more time playing games that I had passing interest in instead of investing more heavily on those purchases of games that I knew I wanted which it turn really burnt me out on gaming. Gampass has some inherent advantage over that model, as you don't feel the need to play every "rental" right now so that you can return that game and get the next thing in your queue.

I still purchased the Ultimate Editions of Forza Horizon and Flight Simulator. I don't regret either. I still have a hard time investing time into games I don't own. Most of my Game Pass time is broken into:

-Game Pass Quests, Microsoft Rewards Activities
-Trying out indie games. This is extremely valuable to me as it feels a lot like when Microsoft made XBLA titles all have demos. It has saved me so much money on 50/50 games that I probably would have purchased and more often than not, would have regretted the purchase. It definitely helps me get past the hype of those types of releases with Powerwash Simulator being the best example.
-Co-Op. A Game Pass friend is a wonderful thing.

The highlight of my time with the service so far was Psychonauts 2. I'll probably purchase that at some point.

I've been sitting on the fence about extending the service. It's been a long, dry period of games that interest me of late. I'm almost thinking it would be better to let it lapse and resub once a game releases that I'm interested in, though I'd have to forgo 3,000-4,000 Rewards Points per month.

If it is worth it for someone else, is debatable. If you've been in the Microsoft ecosystem for a long time, it might be a harder sale though I do think they do a much better job than Sony at a robust catalog of newer titles. I converted 10 years of PS+ since the upgrade price capped off at $150 and I figured I'd get my money's worth over the long haul. Granted that service offering is young. I still think subbing for a few months a year makes the most sense and then you can play catchup on what you've missed. That or waiting to the end of a generation and playing catchup that way.

clarky

Gold Member
Game Pass is an amazing service. I converted 2.5 years of Gold for $1 and then extended 6 months via Microsoft Reward. I expire in December.

If I were a kid, for $300 and $1 subscription for the first month, you could have a boundless library of games and not pay another penny if you get in the habit of Microsoft/Game Pass Rewards.

As an adult, I'm somewhat reminded of my brief time with GameFly which didn't really alter my spending habits, I just ended up spending a lot more time playing games that I had passing interest in instead of investing more heavily on those purchases of games that I knew I wanted which it turn really burnt me out on gaming. Gampass has some inherent advantage over that model, as you don't feel the need to play every "rental" right now so that you can return that game and get the next thing in your queue.

I still purchased the Ultimate Editions of Forza Horizon and Flight Simulator. I don't regret either. I still have a hard time investing time into games I don't own. Most of my Game Pass time is broken into:

-Trying out indie games. This is extremely valuable to me as it feels a lot like when Microsoft made XBLA titles all have demos. It has saved me so much money on 50/50 games that I probably would have purchased and more often than not, would have regretted the purchase. It definitely helps me get past the hype of those types of releases with Powerwash Simulator being the best example.

The highlight of my time with the service so far was Psychonauts 2. I'll probably purchase that at some point.

I've been sitting on the fence about extending the service. It's been a long, dry period of games that interest me of late. I'm almost thinking it would be better to let it lapse and resub once a game releases that I'm interested in, though I'd have to forgo 3,000-4,000 Rewards Points per month.

If it is worth it for someone else, is debatable. If you've been in the Microsoft ecosystem for a long time, it might be a harder sale though I do think they do a much better job than Sony at a robust catalog of newer titles. I converted 10 years of PS+ since the upgrade price capped off at $150 and I figured I'd get my money's worth over the long haul. Granted that service offering is young. I still think subbing for a few months a year makes the most sense and then you can play catchup on what you've missed. That or waiting to the end of a generation and playing catchup that way.
10 years? Damn son you can include it in your will!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
10 years? You can include it in your will!

PS+ was incredibly inexpensive to stack as they gave away free one month codes that stacked, had a Playstation credit card offer for a free year and $50 PSN credit on your first purchase (no minimums), Black Friday's at $25 per and fairly recently $25-28 via CDKeys.

clarky

Gold Member
PS+ was incredibly inexpensive to stack as they gave away free one month codes that stacked, had a Playstation credit card offer for a free year and $50 PSN credit on your first purchase (no minimums), Black Friday's at $25 per and fairly recently $25-28 via CDKeys.
I tip my hat to you sir.👏

I thought I remembered something about Sony nixxing this on GAF? I seemed to remember a bit of an uproar or was I dreaming this?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
i resubbed for another 3 years and set until middle 2025. I think its been great, more than happy with the cheap cost I have paid for it.

Ive only ever paid around 100 pounds for 3 years and Ive done that twice so for me its been brilliant. Looking forward to ghost wire and deathloop when they inevitably get announced in the coming months. Ive loved things like Tunic, when dusk falls, shredders revenge etc. Crazy value.

Game pass is actually too good.. they need to tone it down a bit
CRBTNNN.jpg

bender

What time is it?
I thought I remembered something about Sony nixxing this on GAF? I seemed to remember a bit of an uproar or was I dreaming this?

I think before the NA launch they didn't allow partial upgrades so if you had a crazy PS+ stack, it would cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade because you had to upgrade every year of the stack. When it launched in the US, they put a cap on the upgrade of $149.99. I just checked my subscription and: PlayStation Plus Premium: 12 Month Subscription, Next payment date: 7/21/2032. lol

Last edited:
I think before the NA launch they didn't allow partial upgrades so if you had a crazy PS+ stack, it would cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade because you had to upgrade every year of the stack. When it launched in the US, they put a cap on the upgrade of $149.99. I just checked my subscription and: PlayStation Plus Premium: 12 Month Subscription, Next payment date: 7/21/2032. lol
Yea, no brainer if you can get that crazy a deal

I buy my GPs around Black Friday for the year now that my $1 conversion has ran out. I'd jump on a deal that crazy in a heartbeat

See a few people saying at full price its a no-no. Everyone agree that $15 or so is the upper limit for a sub service currently? I think we'll see an increase when Blizzard Activision games start hitting the service or maybe another tier.
No, it's not the upper limit, but it's way too much for what they've been putting out for the last several months and for what we've seen coming for the rest of the year.

jaysius

Banned
Last game I bought was Elden Ring, before that I don't even remember. Gamepass keeps me plenty satisfied and there are great games I discover that I might have ignored.

I used to be a dirty game pirate, now I just use gamepass.

bender

What time is it?
Yea, no brainer if you can get that crazy a deal

I buy my GPs around Black Friday for the year now that my $1 conversion has ran out. I'd jump on a deal that crazy in a heartbeat

I just use Microsoft Rewards. It's took me about 8 months of doing almost everything to earn enough points for a year of GPU. If you were far less diligent, 12 months would give you enough time for the points for a year of GPU.

Salz01

I have gamepass, but have been thinking about cancelling it. I’d rather just downright own the games. I buy most big releases anyways. I don’t like that some games disappear, and I have to buy the game anyways even if it’s a lower price.

I just use Microsoft Rewards. It's took me about 8 months of doing almost everything to earn enough points for a year of GPU. If you were far less diligent, 12 months would give you enough time for the points for a year of GPU.
I do rewards too. How many points is a year of GPU?

Edit: I've only ever used it for entering sweepstakes

Last edited:

poodaddy

Best value in gaming. Liking PS Premium too, and I think it'll get better with time. Glad to see MS and Sony trying new business models to succeed in a pretty dynamic market.

clarky

Gold Member
No, it's not the upper limit, but it's way too much for what they've been putting out for the last several months and for what we've seen coming for the rest of the year.
I meant sub services in general with that comment. $15 bucks about the top end even in a 10/10 year? ( id rate last year as a 9/10 for example this year a high 6 so far but still worth what i paid).

Last edited:

kiphalfton

If they are still running the $1 gold-to-game pass ultimate conversion promo next year then I will resub after my subscription lapses.

If not, I'm not paying even $40/year (say for instance when CDKeys has discounted gold cards) for it as it just isn't worth it based off what I've seen on PC.

tommib

I did the trial when the medium came out and played everything I could including +100 hours of Forza 4. Sold the S eventually and never looked back. I’ll never own anything Microsoft ever again.

clarky

Gold Member
I did the trial when the medium came out and played everything I could including +100 hours of Forza 4. Sold the S eventually and never looked back. I’ll never own anything Microsoft ever again.
Seems to me you might enjoy Forza 5 no?

tommib

Seems to me you might enjoy Forza 5 no?
Looked really similar to 4 and I really did everything I could in it. Maybe like in 3 years when I feel the itch again I’ll try it on xcloud. Big maybe.

But yes those Forza games are amazing and non-stop fun.

Relique

Wish there were more options in the poll. I am generally happy but not blown away and have had some dry months on the service. Not enough to cancel but will re-evaluate sometimes next year after Starfield is out.

clarky

Gold Member
I'm talking more like within the next 5 or so years.

You're definitley going to see a price increase once the growth stops becoming a focus
For sure. Although growth will never not be a focus, theres deffo a price increase coming once COD and the rest start hitting the service day one. Probably in the form of another tier.

After this year they have no excuses not to release 4 AAA games per year, as well as some smaller titles and 3rd party stuff. id pay $20 for that for example.

clarky

Gold Member
Wish there were more options in the poll. I am generally happy but not blown away and have had some dry months on the service. Not enough to cancel but will re-evaluate sometimes next year after Starfield is out.
Noted. Generally happy but not blown away shall be included in my next poll. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nah I had it for a minute and it was a shite experience on PC, I already owned most of the cheaper/smaller titles I would play and it was technically a mess for me personally. I played Gears 5 in co-op for an hour or so and then we forgot we had the trial and it ended.

PuffyCan

This year has only been okay compared to last year, but still good. I still get to try games I wouldn't even bother to look at before game pass. Next year it'il be unstopable, forza, starfield, redfall, tokyo ghostwire , and that's just the first half.

I meant sub services in general with that comment. $15 bucks about the top end even in a 10/10 year? ( id rate last year as a 9/10 for example this year a high 6 so far but still worth what i paid).
I'm saying if there was a service that literally had every game ever for $20 a month, I'd pay it. So, therefore, $15 a month isn't the ceiling.

But, for around $200 a year, it really needs to have several games that I would have otherwise bought day one.

Jaybe

There isn’t the right option for me to pick. I’m gold converted deal and subbed and locked until Nov 2023. My price per month for what it works out to is fair. There is zero chance I would sub at 10 or 15 a month. Having been gaming enough for a while and picking off what interested me that I hadn’t played for the first half year, it basically lives or dies by what’s new. It’s been rather dire the last several months, with the odd exception. I expected better to be honest. Thankfully EA delivered Mass Effect to EA play included in GPU. I get value overall but just barely. The oddity is I’ve stopped buying games since they can come to game pass. When my lock in is done I’ll see. Might just do promos and buy what I want from then on. May do the 3 year deal again if it’s still available.

Last edited:

Rippa

Thank the gaming gods for this rental service.

The thought of buying into all that shovelware would have me really upset.

I haven’t re-subbed in over a year as there’s nothing that really interests me coming from the MS camp. That’ll change when Hellblade 2 comes out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am happy with it now. I subscribed when Xbox Gamepass first released and I really didn't see the value. It felt like waiting for a
sale was still the way to go. Over the last couple of years I was on and off again for a month here or there to play a game that released for $15 instead of $60. Back in March when it was time for my annual Gold subscription to renew I reupped for three years and did the GPU conversion because there's so much there to play now with EA Play and the Zenimax studios included and Microsoft moneyhatting other games for day 1 release.

Last edited:
Ive actually been using ps+ more since I didn't have a ps4, but I voted yes since I still actually have it even if not in use (brothers use it too), and once I'm done with the ps exclusives I missed, I'll be right back to game pass.

Wild to think that I'll be playing persona 5 and eiyuden chronicles day one xbox, while ps+ may not have them

Well said. Especially the part about "a Gamepass friend is a wonderful thing.", indeed. I've talked so many parents of our kids' friends into buying GP. Shit is too good.

Just dove into Aliens fireteam with two GP buddies last night and had an absolute blast. Super fun.

Bodom78

Love it, probably my most used and worthwhile sub. Tried a lot of games I usually wouldn't play and found many gems. I'll stay subbed for the foreseeable future.

ACESHIGH

Banned
It's a great service to try PC games. And xcloud adds a lot of value to ultimate. I would love MS to include more games on xcloud that did not have native PC ports. Maybe stuff like lost Odyssey or blue dragon. I had a blast playing through the gears games.

clarky

Gold Member
It's a great service to try PC games. And xcloud adds a lot of value to ultimate. I would love MS to include more games on xcloud that did not have native PC ports. Maybe stuff like lost Odyssey or blue dragon. I had a blast playing through the gears games.
Yeah i use the pc side quite a bit.

I think if they added a few different classics each month via BC program that would add a load of value at not much cost to them.

Fredrik

I’m prepaid til 2024 at $5/month on both Gamepass and PS+ Premium. When it’s a slow month I try to remind myself that it’s just half a pizza. Or one whole pizza for both services. It’s nothing.
And a good month with nice releases I’m feasting good!

Not sure what I would think about either service if I payed full price. What is it now? $15/month?
$30/month total… Hmm. Well, it’s still just 3 pizzas per month. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom