• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 150 people from PlayStation VASG + Malaysia worked on Callisto Protocol

image.png

callisto.png

image.png

Thats an insane amount of devs for a 3rd party game. Most studios aren’t even that big

If The Callisto Protocol will be successful, good luck with that :messenger_grinning:

I honestly don't think Sony is targeting devs like that with their future purchases. They will probably buy another "live service" studio.

They should scoop up Square Enix ASAP.

This drama if Final Fantasy 7 R will come to other platforms is just BS.

I've always thought marketing deals not always mean just paying some cash and call it a day, this is probably one example of it. Sony probably let them use their Visual Arts studio for free + some other expenses and in exchange they got that sweet marketing for the game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If that many PS people contributed to it, it should have been an exclusive game, or at least a timed exclusive.

Perhaps PS is looking at a potential studio acquisition with this partnership.
That only works if Sony pays you.
When you pay Sony the ball is in your court.

Just like with Jedi Fallen Order, this was outsourcing work.
Krafton have the money Sony have the staff.

PDSG will work with anyone on practically every part of entertainment if you provide the dollar or incentive.
6s3GkKo.png

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That only works if Sony pays you.
When you pay Sony the ball is in your court.

Just like with Jedi Fallen Order, this was outsourcing work.
Krafton have the money Sony have the staff.

PDSG will work with anyone on practically every part of entertainment if you provide the dollar or incentive.
6s3GkKo.png
They do rent out the mo-cap studio to select partners, but I don't remember PS Studios developers actually helping me active development and being credited in games like this before.

Over 150 developers are too many, and that almost makes it look like a second-party game, e.g., Bloodborne (FromSoftware/Japan Studios).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They do rent out the mo-cap studio to select partners, but I don't remember PS Studios developers actually helping me active development and being credited in games like this before.

Over 150 developers are too many, and that almost makes it look like a second-party game, e.g., Bloodborne (FromSoftware/Japan Studios).
Death Stranding had a lot of Guerrilla devs, but I suspect Sony would want to keep VASG busy (internal or external, helps industry relations wise too, and helps pay the bills plus helps with employee retention as they keep working and being exposed to new projects and develop themselves) and happy (especially after TLoU Part I was mostly brought back in house at ND and not a VASG project only).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Might want to look at the credits of Jedi Fallen Order.

Over 100 Sony developers worked on that too.
The Malaysia studio was setup as a support studio.
The PDSG studio(s) are straight up outsourcing studios.

You are going to be seeing more of the PDSG studios in the credits of games (both first, second and third party multiplatform) cuz Sony invested alot in them.
The Malaysia Studio is also going to be in the credits more until they earn their stripes and are able to do their own production.

Edit;
This is the new paradigm of AAA game development, studios are gonna be sharing resources constantly.
If you have ~100 employees free, and another studio asks for help, you will hand them over....and itll keep happening.
I dont expect to see MS and Sony studios working together.
But third parties are gonna use and be used constantly.
Which is what a bunch of devs were alluding too even when Crystal Dynamics came on the Perfect Dark project, people in the know have basically predicted relatively large studios are gonna be collaborating on projects because these projects are absolutely massive at this point, and having free empoyees is basically a waste of money (they still need to get paid and get work) they might as well be used by a third party to actually do something.
Crystal Dynamics had ~100 employees not actively working on any projects so they were lent to Microsoft.
PDSG will work with whoever effectively.
The Malaysia studio is a support studio and they werent doing anything or were contracted by Krafton.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Nonsens and ignorant comment. There are a lot of SE games that releases on Nintendo and even some on Xbox. Even some of SE games are excusive or time exclusive for Nintendo since years.
Not really. It's a throw away post that shows how much disarray se can get in to. They are all over the place and Sony works with them the bunch especially since Nintendo fucked them in the 90s with ff7

Godot25

Banned
This is the new paradigm of AAA game development, studios are gonna be sharing resources constantly.
If you have ~100 employees free, and another studio asks for help, you will hand them over....and itll keep happening.
And yet, when info was published that Eidos Montreal is working alongside Playground Games on Fable, people bitched, that Microsoft can't seem to get their first-party studios in order so they need to work with another studio and laughed away Matt Booty's suggestion, that collaboration between studios will be future of game development :messenger_grinning:

That's interesting, to say the least. A lot more devs than I'd have given credit to. I guess they really needed that hand from Sony but who'd have thought it went to this extent? Now I'm more interested if this will set a precedent for more collaborations of this size with newer studios.

They'd be designated to mobile shovelware if it wasn't for Sony funding their console projects. They already sold off all of their western IPs and studios.

And they’re beginning to take investors for their internal studios, its clear SE is terrible in regards to actual business. I doubt any of their big AAA games would be launching anytime soon or in the state their in without SIE’s “moneyhat”

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They'd be designated to mobile shovelware if it wasn't for Sony funding their console projects. They already sold off all of their western IPs and studios.
That’s kind of my point too though, they got Sony paying for content, with less out of their own pocket.

proandrad

Even if Sony gets no exclusive content, this is a good idea. After the mess that was PS3 it's in Sony's best interest to help out 3rd party studios whenever they can and make sure PlayStation gets a technically solid version of the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So does this show up in the Xbox version too?

Top Bottom