• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Previews are Dropping

Nankatsu

Wish she looked like Forspoken protagonist. Bayonetta is too feminine and sexy.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Last edited:

Doom85

^^ Um, the Forspoken protagonist is a real person. She is modeled after the actress who is voicing her.

And while I would agree the actual actress is prettier looking, I don’t think Frey herself is bad looking. I admit, her initial hairstyle doesn’t suit her IMHO, but once she puts her hair up she looks better.

sainraja

Yeah, I know. I rephrased it better. Didn't come out as I wanted it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Gotcha, fair enough. :)

And while I would agree the actual actress is prettier looking
Agreed.

I don’t think Frey herself is bad looking. I admit, her initial hairstyle doesn’t suit her IMHO, but once she puts her hair up she looks better.
She's more stylized anyway. She kinda reminds of a character from DMC5. Kinda.

Last edited:
Looks good! I hope it delivers for Bayo fans, it took 5 years. Hope it's worth the wait!

I think as one of only two major first-party published releases this holiday from Nintendo, they have what has to be the weakest year-end lineup so far since the Switch era started. I feel like there has to be something else coming, maybe in December, to fill the hole in the lineup.

Jennings

Looks good! I hope it delivers for Bayo fans, it took 5 years. Hope it's worth the wait!

I think as one of only two major first-party published releases this holiday from Nintendo, they have what has to be the weakest year-end lineup so far since the Switch era started. I feel like there has to be something else coming, maybe in December, to fill the hole in the lineup.
The year has been jam packed with high quality Nintendo titles. They are doing fantastically well and are very prepped for the holidays

The year has been jam packed with high quality Nintendo titles. They are doing fantastically well and are very prepped for the holidays
Normally they have three tentpole releases for Oct-Dec. So obviously we're all aware Nintendo is doing well, that wasn't my point at all. Most of their releases this year have been B-tier (Switch Sports, Strikers, Bayo 3) with few exceptions (Xenoblade, Splatoon). If you look at their holiday lineup each year during the Switch era, sans 2020 COVID, they earmark three major releases each holiday. This year, as of now, they are not doing that, and I don't think Bayo 3 has the pull of a major title. And December is completely empty, which is also unusual. Just my opinion, but it's worth pointing out that the year-end slate from them this holiday is a bit light for Switch-era Nintendo. Like others have pointed out, it could be they're starting to prep for the next system, and that would explain some of it. But I still think it's early for that.

Last edited:

Trunx81

For someone who never played the series - is this a good point to start with game 1? Are they actually good?

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been a bit worried the game wouldn’t live up to 1 and 2, but sounds like it has potential to even surpass them going by the previews!

Very happy to hear the framerate is a solid 60fps.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

For someone who never played the series - is this a good point to start with game 1? Are they actually good?
They are all treasures. Many platforms to choose from for Bayonetta 1 so that's a great place to start (recommend PC) but order doesn't matter IMO.

EDIT FYI: New physical editions of Bayonetta 2 for Switch come with the download code for Bayonetta 1. Also if you buy B2 digitally you get a discount on digital B1.

Last edited:
I’ve been a bit worried the game wouldn’t live up to 1 and 2, but sounds like it has potential to surpass them going by the previews.

Yeah I would imagine with 5+ years in development they've made something pretty special for people.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Do you like Devil May Cry stylish action type games? Flashy (and deep) technical combat, Japanese stylings, huge scale, shitty writing? Then yes, it’s one of the best.

Fbh

Had some doubts about the game after what I thought was an underwhelming pair of trailers.
But the latest presentations definitely has me really hyped again, looks great. Day 1 for me.

Bayonetta is great, they are some of the best DMC style character action games on the market.
Tight gameplay that's easy to pick up but with plenty of depth to master, and a short length without a ton of filler (but very replayable).

Bayonetta as a character is really fun, but the story itself is pretty bland. Still if you just want to enjoy the gameplay you can just skip the cutscenes.

Last edited:

Neff

First game is genuinely amazing. The second one is a nice rehash, but that's pretty much all it is, and it's plagued by some balance issues. Well worth a play though.

Had some doubts about the game after what I thought was an underwhelming pair of trailers.
But the latest presentations definitely has me really hyped again, looks great. Day 1 for me.

Bayonetta is great, they are some of the best DMC style character action games on the market.
Tight gameplay that's easy to pick up but with plenty of depth to master, and a short length without a ton of filler (but very replayable).

Bayonetta as a character is really fun, but the story itself is pretty bland. Still if you just want to enjoy the gameplay you can just skip the cutscenes.
Like DMC, i've tried Bayonetta, and that kind of super hardcore over-the-top arcade-style action is just not my thing. But I'm happy for people that have been waiting since Bayo 2 came out/ or came to Switch in 2018 that are finally getting a new installment. Been a long wait!

Last edited:

Aldric

I'd say start with 2, the first one is a good deal harder and has some frustrating aspects like instant death QTEs and very tedious arcade sections that aren't in 2, so you better familiarize yourself with the series core concepts with the more accessible title before playing the first one.

And yes of course they're good, absolutely top tier action games.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I'd say start with 2, the first one is a good deal harder and has some frustrating aspects like instant death QTEs and very tedious arcade sections that aren't in 2, so you better familiarize yourself with the series core concepts with the more accessible title before playing the first one.

And yes of course they're good, absolutely top tier action games.
Thanks to all of you! As everyone says the story is bad, I’ll probably won’t miss out anything when I start with 2

Ulysses 31

Thanks to all of you! As everyone says the story is bad, I’ll probably won’t miss out anything when I start with 2
Story is convoluted nonsense a lot of the times but the sucky QTEs in B1 only matter if you care about rankings, you have infinite continues. I wouldn't skip B1 if you like action games.

Last edited:

Majukun

none of the guys from the previews seem to give any indication they knew what they were talking about

guess i'll wait for reviews from more trusted sources

play bayo 1, the masterpieces of the series, then go with very tampered expectations to bayo 2

Last edited:

radewagon

No heckin spoilerinos for me, day one anyway.

Spoil anything by watching preview videos?

no-i-dont-think.gif

Why y'all worried about spoilers? As a fan of the series, I can honestly say that there is nothing they can spoil for me. The fun of Bayonetta is in the playing of it. The action exists almost completely disassociated from the plot and never seems to be tied down by any kind of need for narrative context. Worrying about Bayonetta spoilers is like worrying that watching a video of someone eating a bacon cheeseburger would somehow spoil the enjoyment you get from eating one yourself.

kunonabi

I actually want spoilers since I need actual confirmation that Taylor is in or not before I buy it. If the whole game is this imposter Bayonetta I'm just going to skip it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Why y'all worried about spoilers? As a fan of the series, I can honestly say that there is nothing they can spoil for me. The fun of Bayonetta is in the playing of it. The action exists almost completely disassociated from the plot and never seems to be tied down by any kind of need for narrative context. Worrying about Bayonetta spoilers is like worrying that watching a video of someone eating a bacon cheeseburger would somehow spoil the enjoyment you get from eating one yourself.
Not all spoilers are story related. I don't want to see any new mechanics or anything beforehand. I know it's gonna be amazing and just want to take it all in on day 1.

DonF

I’ve been a bit worried the game wouldn’t live up to 1 and 2, but sounds like it has potential to even surpass them going by the previews!

Thank God. I loved astral chain but the game barely ran @30 fps. I need my p* games at 60 fps!

Robb

Gold Member
Thank God. I loved astral chain but the game barely ran @30 fps. I need my p* games at 60 fps!

I wonder how they pulled that off if its true. I'll wait for the analysis videos.
I just went with the info in the IGN preview, so grain of salt I guess.

But sounds like it’s 60fps and that the visuals take a hit when it gets busy, so I’d imagine there’s some dynamic resolution solution implemented.

Jsisto

Can’t wait for this. As a more casual action game fan, I much preferred 2, and I dont think 1 has aged that well, at least the version I played. Hoping the set pieces are as hilariously over the top as always. Seeing Gomorra waterskiing on boats gives me confidence they will be. Hard to believe it’s out in a month and we’ve only seen the opening area as far as I’m aware.

Top Bottom