• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best new character in 2007?

Anth

As the title says.

For me:

3. Gann of Dreams from Mask of the Betrayer:
The moment I tried to give in to Gann's sob story about his parents and he actually reacted negatively, I already loved the game. He had some great lines in there, the interaction with Kaelyn was especially good. I only wished there would be more of that sort.
2. Kaelyn the Dove from Mask of the Betrayer:
Usually, I kill off NPCs and think nothing about it. I even killed Minsk in BG1 without batting an eyelash. But when I did it in MotB, and "left her for the demons to find", as you can do if you are especially evil, I was actually sad. Same when I got the bad ending for her.
RPGs rarely do the pure-hearted maiden properly, but here it worked perfectly. Especially how you could manipulate her, and how she was fighting for something that was not simply good, but genuinely grey territory (as forces of good and evil were actually battling against other forces of good and evil, which happens just about never in most fantasy).
1. GLaDOS from Portal:
Portal has the best (or second best, after MotB) writing of all games in 2007, and whereas MotB has tons of characters who have lines, Portal has nothing but GLaDOS. And it is all brilliant.
The evil AI has been done before, even done well in the form of SHODAN, but I'd argue that it has never been done quite as well. And though you might call me presumptous, I'd even argue she is up there with HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey. At the very least, she has that great song.

Honorable mention: Companion Cube from Portal:
Of course this goes to the credit of GLaDOS. But seriously, that stupid cube is more memorable than most proper gaming characters with hundreds of lines and a proper sob story. I'd argue it would have done well in Gamefaq's character battle, and it doesn't even have an angsty past, it's just a stupid cube.

Borys

Banned
1. Geralt of Rivia (Gwynnbleid).

geralt2.jpg

2. Nathan Drake.

pose-nathan-drake.png

3. Weighted Companion Cube.

Companion_Cube.jpg

Salazar

I hear the pitter-patter of Drake fans en route to this thread.

How do people rate the Witcher's protagonist ?

GhaleonEB

GLaDOS

Made even more great because the most vividly drawn character I ran into all year was done through the writing and performance alone. (Well, mostly.)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Salazar said:
I hear the pitter-patter of Drake fans en route to this thread.

How do people rate the Witcher's protagonist ?

My friend I would have to one of those pitter-patter fans for Nathan Drake he just reminds me to much of Indiana Jones too much and that is one of my favorite movies.

GCQuinton

Haven't played Assassin's Creed yet, so be default it'd probably go to Nathan Drake.

Honorable mention, while obviously a combo, would go to K & L. Say what you want about the gameplay but the story was decent.

As far as villains
???
, definitely Andrew Ryan from BioShock.

Anth

Help me, I'm curious: What's so great about Drake? I only played parts of Uncharted and saw some videos, to me he looks awfully generic.

Is he "great" in the same vein as a character like the Master Chief or the lead of a good actions movie? I.e. incredibly generic, but cool and badass?

Borys

Banned
Anth said:
Help me, I curious: What's so great about Drake? I only played parts of Uncharted and saw some videos, to me he looks awfully generic.

Is he "great" in the same vein as a character like the Master Chief or the lead of a good actions movie? I.e. incredibly generic, but cool and badass?

I don't even own a PS3 and Drake is one of the reasons I'm so intrigued by Uncharted. He seems (to me, based on movies of cutscenes I saw) like a younger Indy. He has got a sense of humour and he is easy on the eyes. Interests me much more than random bald space marine shooting shit.

GCQuinton said:
As far as villains
???
, definitely Andrew Ryan from BioShock.

not to derail the thread, but is Andrew Ryan *really* a villain? I always struggled with that notion. I think he was just a character with really strong ideals and laurels, he lost way (and his mind), but I think he was never truly a villain.

GhaleonEB

Borys said:
Doom_Bringer is from what game? I know he posted here but this can't be the same guy :lol or can it?
He would be the character from NeoGAF. Which reminds me, we need a "thread of the year" vote like we had last year. There were some doozies.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Anth said:
Help me, I'm curious: What's so great about Drake? I only played parts of Uncharted and saw some videos, to me he looks awfully generic.

I would say if you like Indiana Jones you will like Nathan Drake that is my opinion Nathan tries to be funnier.

KevinCow

Banned
I liked Rundas in Metroid Prime 3. The rest of the new characters in the game were... eh, not terrible, I guess, but I thought Rundas was pretty cool. I won't say he's the best since I haven't played a lot of games this year, but I thought I'd at least mention him.

Prime 3 spoiler:
Too bad we won't see him again since he died... though I guess it's not too bad since I wasn't a huge fan of having NPCs and the like in Metroid. It's cool for one game, but I'd rather it not become the standard.

Top Bottom