• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint Games to announce "Tenchu Collection" on March 9th, 10 A.M PST. Coming Q4 2020 exclusively to PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazza

It's crazy how keen people are on a full remake for a PS3 game. PS3 isn't even that old! The PS1 Tenchu games on the other hand...

Terenty

Can someone explain why the remake of Demon's Souls by a company that hasn't produced any good game yet(bluepoint) generates such hype?

All Bluepoint has done so far is upgrading graphics for different old games.

Are people hyped so much for Demon's Souls with better graphics or what?

Last edited:

Protocol7

Please no... I mean Tenchu was a good game sure...

And doesn't it belong to Activision or Sega... (kinda lost to be honest) (link) in the first place?
"Activision purchased the rights to this game from Sony Music Entertainment, who originally published the game in Japan.
However, Activision sold the rights to the Japanese game publisher FromSoftware in 2004. FromSoftware's rights agreement does not include games previously published by Activision.
FromSoftware licensed distribution of Fatal Shadows to Sega.
"

Why would they agree to make it an exclusive...?
A bit disapointed if true, was really hyped for a DeS remake...

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can someone explain why the remake of Demon's Souls by a company that hasn't produced any good game yet(bluepoint) generates such hype?

All Bluepoint has done so far is upgrading graphics for different old games.

Are people hyped so much for Demon's Souls with better graphics or what?

Have you played Demon's Souls? It's good, but it runs like ass and feels fairly more dated than even DS1. It'd benefit from a remake.

Plus it's stuck on PS3 so if you want to play it, that's your only option without emulating right now.

I got pretty excited reading the title but need it on other platforms obviously. I doubt Sony has paid for dibs on this, probably a timed thing if any or for PR because of the association of Tenchu with PS1.

DonJorginho

Banned
According to reddit:

Disappointing af.

also, March the 9th is a Monday and not Wednesday. Lol

If this is true I am probably not getting a PS5 on launch unless they announce some great titles and the system is more powerful than XSX, how can Sony fans say this is a better exclusive than Halo

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
According to reddit:

Disappointing af.

also, March the 9th is a Monday and not Wednesday. Lol

VKvgm18.gif

Tenchu is far from being a cult series that people are asking for. Everyone’s been hyping up the Demon’s Soul remake for so long that getting Tenchu instead would be very disappointing!
Are you on drugs or something? Tenchu is a cult series. And it's a series. Demon Souls is just one game.

The Shepard

Wouldn't tenchu need a complete rebuild from the ground up? At least with demons souls it was a ps3 game and they could shadow of the colossus it. Tenchu is a PS1 game and also owned by Activision and not sony. I still believe (and hope) its demons soul's.

DonJorginho

Banned
True, I guess RE2 remake showed potential for a reimagining of a traditionally great game.

To be a good remake the game you are working with on a base level has to be good, and Tenchu games just aren't that good, they are like the perfect example of 6/10s for me, were good at the time but have aged pretty poorly, Shadow Assassins was the only game I remember enjoying from the series.

thelastword

Banned
I think people can blame themselves here.....They go hyping their unconfirmed opinions as fact and when it doesn't pan out they go into a tizzy fit......Did some poster say he will not buy a PS5 now? these posts always crack me up....

FWIW, the strongest part of the rumor always said they are working on a series, a trilogy of games, they said it's more than one game.....How could the Demon Souls people be so strong headed, when they were the ones who broke sticks in their ears....

Bandi

Banned
FWIW, the strongest part of the rumor always said they are working on a series, a trilogy of games, they said it's more than one game.....How could the Demon Souls people be so strong headed, when they were the ones who broke sticks in their ears....

"Established in 2006, with a team now over 90 people, Bluepoint has developed a history of delivering the highest quality remasters and remakes in the industry. But that's not enough for us. Our latest project is the largest in our history, and aims to define the visual benchmark for the next generation of gaming hardware," reads Bluepoint's updated website.

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70176/bluepoint-expands-90-devs-new-ps5-game-ambitious/index.html

Let's see, they did the following so far:

I could definitely see porting Tenchu games from PS1 to PS5 could be their biggest project yet.
But porting a single and short (finished in 15 hours) PS3 game like Demon's Souls to PS5? Wouldn't call this their biggest project, IMHO.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
The Tenchu games are great. I even double dipped on Tenchu 3 and bought it again for the original Xbox for the visual upgrade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
For Tenchu fans, i highly recommend playing Way of the Samurai games too: free roaming samurai life, great sword combat, over the top stories.

Last edited by a moderator:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I could definitely see porting Tenchu games from PS1 to PS5 could be their biggest project yet.
But porting a single and short (finished in 15 hours) PS3 game like Demon's Souls to PS5? Wouldn't call this their biggest project, IMHO.

For one, none of these are ports. They're not just sticking the PS1 version in a bundle, they would be ground-up remakes. Once you've got the foundation running, it's a case of pumping out the content/assets for all three games (see: Spyro/Crash collections).

If you do the same thing for DeS and rebuild it from the ground up, it's not hard to imagine it taking the same amount of work. And the fact that DeS can be finished in 15 hours is pretty meaningless when you can finish Tenchu 1-3 in the same amount of time. You could spend far longer in either.

I think the biggest argument against Tenchu is that Sony already have a spiritual successor in the chamber ready to go this year, probably as a cross-gen game.

"Established in 2006, with a team now over 90 people, Bluepoint has developed a history of delivering the highest quality remasters and remakes in the industry. But that's not enough for us. Our latest project is the largest in our history, and aims to define the visual benchmark for the next generation of gaming hardware," reads Bluepoint's updated website.

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70176/bluepoint-expands-90-devs-new-ps5-game-ambitious/index.html

Let's see, they did the following so far:

15 hours? I'd say the average first play through is over 40. How Long to Beat has it:

Main Story

31 Hours

Main + Extra

45½ Hours

Completionist

81½ Hours

https://howlongtobeat.com/#search1

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Not gonna lie I am not mad for either one of these rumoured projects, but if I had to take one it would be Demon Souls.

As why have Tenchu when there will be a much better Samurai game in Ghost Of Tsushima, Sekiro is also miles better so makes no sense to have two first party exclusives both cover more or less the same genre in the space of 7 months.

AV

Not gonna lie I am not mad for either one of these rumoured projects, but if I had to take one it would be Demon Souls.

As why have Tenchu when there will be a much better Samurai game in Ghost Of Tsushima, Sekiro is also miles better so makes no sense to have two first party exclusives both cover more or less the same genre in the space of 7 months.

Nioh 2 is also out in a week.

Anki

Banned
I am fine with this, as much as I love souls games we are getting elden ring so Tenchu should be great.

Terenty

Have you played Demon's Souls? It's good, but it runs like ass and feels fairly more dated than even DS1. It'd benefit from a remake.

Plus it's stuck on PS3 so if you want to play it, that's your only option without emulating right now.

Its a game from 2009, do we really need remakes of 10 year old games already? And its not a classic. I could understand 22 year old MGS remake, but Demon's souls? Nah.

Its like saying we need a remake of MGS4, do we need a remake of a perfectly playable game from 2008, and that's not a classic? Why would we?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Its a game from 2009, do we really need remakes of 10 year old games already? And its not a classic. I could understand 22 year old MGS remake, but Demon's souls? Nah.

Its like saying we need a remake of MGS4, do we need a remake of a perfectly playable game from 2008, and that's not a classic? Why would we?

Yes, we do. It has a lot of technical issues, QoL shortcomings, etc. And the servers are not even on

Not a classic? It started an entire sub-genre of video games. "Souls-like" starts right here. Demon's Souls is one of the best and most important games of the last 15 years.

AV

It's a game that spawned a subgenre. "Soulslike" is a thing now. Dark was obviously the first popular one, and it's playable on many platforms, but Demon's is stuck on PS3 and it also really shows its age, even compared to Dark.

I imagine someone reworking DeS for the current framework would be a big hit amongst people that have no interest in buying used PS3s for one game.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Yes, we do. It has a lot of technical issues, QoL shortcomings, etc. And the servers are not even on

Not a classic? It started an entire sub-genre of video games. "Souls-like" starts right here. Demon's Souls is one of the best and most important games of the last 15 years.

It is more important than an average samurai game series that is for sure.

I am still dreaming of them announcing a triple remake collection, Silent Hill 2, MGS 1 and Syphon Filter.

That will sadly never happen.

SCB3

I can't see this for 2 reasons:

1. Tenchu isn't that big a series to get Bluepoint to remake, surely there are bigger IPs for them to do, they are the best in the business for this thing
  2. Sekiro exists, why would FrosmSoft go back to Tenshu and not just make Sekiro a Tenshu sequel?

Terenty

Dark souls is a classic. Dark Souls is what its all about and what people are talking about when they say souls like etc.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Forgot about that one, that makes this rumour make even less sense.

Poor decision if this rumour is true.

In the 2000s we got approximately 300,000 World War 2 games, you're telling me this rumor doesn't make sense because it might be the 3rd ninja game in 2020?

DonJorginho

Banned
In the 2000s we got approximately 300,000 World War 2 games, you're telling me this rumor doesn't make sense because it might be the 3rd ninja game in 2020?

We are talking about one company releasing three exclusives in the same genre within 8 months of eachother potentially.

Not hundreds of studios trying to cash in on a trend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom