• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker IGN review (oh #*&$)

Amir0x said:
It's censored more than the N64 version on the first time through. You unlock all the cursing at the end or something.

How... retarded? Is that the correct term? :) Microsoft is sooo teh kiddy, at least on the first playthrough!

Cucco

N64 Conker is one of the best platformers ive played. What I don't understand is, why would they take stuff out of the single player and make the single player easier? It's not like Conker was a hard game.

btw, i'm new here. how many posts do i need before i can post a topic?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cucco said:
N64 Conker is one of the best platformers ive played. What I don't understand is, why would they take stuff out of the single player and make the single player easier? It's not like Conker was a hard game.

btw, i'm new here. how many posts do i need before i can post a topic?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ouch!

Microsoft can not be happy with Rare right now.

Amir0x

Banned
Biglesworth23 said:
How... retarded? Is that the correct term? :) Microsoft is sooo teh kiddy, at least on the first playthrough!

There was a pretty funny thread about the issue when it was revealed by IGN :p

Heh. But yeah, I don't get the sense of making it an unlockable. Maybe they changed it for retail, but IGN said it was unlockable after you beat it in one of their news posts.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well, from what everything I'm reading, it seems that the only added improvement from the 64 version is the graphics and online gameplay (which apparently is not fun). I was planning on buying this because I never played the 64 version and it was pulled off store shelves and rental shelves before I could try it, but it seems the N64 version is the more complete one. I guess I'll still rent it to see if I should buy it.

Speevy

Banned
Well I guess this one will have to settle for being the looker of our console generation. Unfortunate that the multiplayer isn't better.

tenchir

I was looking forward to this since it was one of my favorite games on the N64. From what I read, the online multiplayer is depressing, but I am getting it for just the single player portion of the game.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Vandiger said:
The guy reviewing the game sounds like an idiot, just for fun I wanted to check what other games he reviewed. One of them stood out the most, tao feng review
Sure, discredit the reviewer, then you can say his 8.1 score sucks. :lol

Li Mu Bai

Banned
siege said:
Hey look, another Rare game. Great graphics, ho-hum gameplay.

This seems to be their tagline as of late, starting with the SFA on the GC. I'm still surprised by this score, those are some completely ravenous fanboys over there. (JE 9.9?) Regardless, I still fully expected this to score higher, although it's not a horrid score. If PD0 fails to meet expectations, it's safe to say that Rare definitely has fallen from grace.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Angelus said:
Once again more Nbots trolling in a RARE thread. Must suck having to wait for Zelda later this year:lol

Uhhh, can you please direct me to the trolling? I haven't really seen even one troll here, just crticism of the game's multiplayer part (which I haven't played yet so I can't judge it)

GhaleonEB

Gahiggidy said:
Ouch!

Microsoft can not be happy with Rare right now.

That all depends on the sales.

What does concern me though are the criticisms of the multiplayer balance. That's really the key to fun MP (and something a game like Halo 2 nails), and with 50 players set to play at once on PD0, there's a heck of a lot of balancing to do. All the features in the world don't mean squat if it's not fun and fair.

Speevy

Banned
wobedraggled said:
Rare:

The best sale/worst purchase ever.

Well I'd love to play this on my Gamecube since Nintendo's not releasing any in-house stuff until Zelda. So, whatever you think of Rare, at least the company filled some holes every once in a while.

_Angelus_

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Uhhh, can you please direct me to the trolling? I haven't really seen even one troll here, just crticism of the game's multiplayer part (which I haven't played yet so I can't judge it)

Get Fucking real:lol

Dude all you have to do is jump every 4-5 posts and its there. Just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean its not there. It clearly is.

mj1108

Angelus said:
Once again more Nbots trolling in a RARE thread. Must suck having to wait for Zelda later this year:lol

Compared to waiting for Rare to release a title, waiting for Zelda is nothing.

ohamsie

This sucks. In almost every Conker thread, people were saying how great the multiplayer was going to be, even going so far as to say that the multiplayer was the main attraction, and the single player was the "bonus". What a letdown. Hopefully it isn't true.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GSG Flash said:
Actually, to be honest... I was trolling with my post.

black_13

Banned
Well well what a surprise. Another better than average game gets so overhyped that people expect 9+ for the remake. Seriously that's not bad.

And if you think that's bad, don't expect much more from Gamespot, especialy after reading their final impressions on it.

MrDaravon

Sooooo basically it's single player isn't quite as good as the N64 version (graphics aside), and the multiplayer is iffy and sounds frustrating.

Good job Rare, someone let me know when this is 20 bucks. There goes my last full price Xbox purchase.

Vandiger

GaimeGuy said:
Sure, discredit the reviewer, then you can say his 8.1 score sucks. :lol

I read his review. I don't even trust the guy's opinion. Yeah go ahead and bash the game I don't care. I'm just stating my opinion that the guy looks like a poor reviewer when it comes to games.

Gahiggidy

Its sad.

I LOVED the orignal Conker 64. In the TOP 3 games I played on N64. Looked forward to a GCN sequel and when I first saw the brillantly animated "Celda" I KNEW Conker would be perfect for that engine. Only traditional animation can free up the gamemakers from the constraints of laws of physics (i.e. Reality). Some seriously whacked out fun gameplay could've been made in that style. Also, a truely cartoony looking Conker game would've taken the satiracal concept to new heights. Imagine putting Conker in the scenarios of classic cartoons like Speed Racer, the Smurfs, Transformers, Care Bears, He-Man, etc., etc. Great satire potential there.

That never happened.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
pilonv1 said:
:lol :lol 8.1 is a bomb now? Guess I won't be able to enjoy it then!

8.1 is a bomb for a title thats susposed to sorta be the last horah for Xbox.
Any title thats hyped up as much as that one, and scores less then 84% (8.4) is not a success.

Edit:
When I say not a success I mean as a whole, not based on one review. I'll be curious to see how the average consensus of the sites/mags say

Damn...I'll still probably get it. I'm ashamed to say that I never played Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64. So I'll probably check out Live & Reloaded.

Suikoguy said:
8.1 is a bomb for a title thats susposed to sorta be the last horah for Xbox.

It would've only been funnier if somehow, Sega bought the U.S. rights to Conker for release on an entirely different nextgen platform.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, the score is 8.1. The "8.1" score indicates a GREAT game. A great game indicates a purchase that plenty of people, if not the vast majority of people will outright love. How is it that an 8.1 score has been delegated to a disappointment? Now, I know this is IGN, so people are automatically adjusting for inflation here. I also know that this is supposedly the Xbox's last real "hurrah", and so it's not the bang people expected. But it's an 8.1. A "great" game.

Let's keep the scores for what they were meant for, people!

*ahem*

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Guys, the score is 8.1. The "8.1" score indicates a GREAT game. A great game indicates a purchase that plenty of people, if not the vast majority of people will outright love. How is it that an 8.1 score has been delegated to a disappointment? Now, I know this is IGN, so people are automatically adjusting for inflation here. I also know that this is supposedly the Xbox's last real "hurrah", and so it's not the bang people expected. But it's an 8.1. A "great" game.

Let's keep the scores for what they were meant for, people!

*ahem*

I don't think its just people saying 8.1 is a bad game more like

8.1 is a bad score for a game which is
- Been in development for ages
- The Multiplayer is a let down (which was the major selling point imo)
- Highly Hyped/ Large budget port

With so many great budget games in peoples backlogs why would I pick Conker up now when I could get two other games for the same price.

Amir0x

Banned
Do The Mario said:
I don't think its just people saying 8.1 is a bad game more like

8.1 is a bad score for a game which is
- Been in development for ages
- The Multiplayer is a let down (which was the major selling point imo)
- Highly Hyped/ Large budget port

With so many great budget games in peoples backlogs why would I pick Conker up now when I could get two other games for the same price.

But it's not. It may not be the result expected, but it's an 8.1. A "great" game. This is what the score indicates. I'm just sayin', I don't understand why either side has to damage control this or tease. It's a good score no matter how you slice it, no matter what your expectations.

Top Bottom