• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker IGN review (oh #*&$)

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
re-imagining (god I hate that term): game using an existing franchise but wiping the canon clean, plotline and possibly gameplay have a striking similarity but gameplay scenarios are different

Does that about cover it?

Not really, that description can be applied to many sequels (which you didn't define btw) that wouldn't be called "re-imagining". Example - most any Nintendo game. I guess you could go out on a limb and say every Zelda and Mario game is a "re-imagining" of the original, but I'm not sure that would hold much weight.

Not bashing you here or anything, I'm just more confused about remakes, sequels, and "re-imaginings" than I was 12 hours ago.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My idea of this whole mess:
Port: Exact same game, just a recompilation and maybe some minute improvements like some better looking textures and better framerate. Example: DOA2 on PS2, Shenmue 2 on Xbox.
Remake: Almost 1:1 copy of the gameplay/story, but everything else is completely redone with a new engine. Example: Conker, Twin Snakes, RE1, DOA2/U on Xbox.
Sequel: Continuation of the story, even if the gameplay changes. Shenmue 2, Halo 2, FFX-2, you name it.
Re-imagining: Same story (or usually lack of) but done differently. The whole Mario series would fit in I guess, since all games are standalone.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, it's entirely possible that the term "remake" could have more than one meaning...

A) An older game is redone with new graphics and sound, but identical gameplay. (See Conker)

B) A game's STORY is retold, but with entirely new gameplay. (See umpteen-thousand games)

I think both definitions have been used...

some quotes from Conker Review :

The important facts being these: Conker Live is sublime, sincere, potent, deadly, and utterly thrilling multiplayer gaming. It's excellent.

It's immensely refreshing to be playing MP without the stereotypical he-man deathmatch characters of Unreal and the like, or the boring chrome and decay arenas we're so used to fighting in. Good stuff, Rare.

Choosing the right character class is the first step towards deciding if you'll be a valuable asset or a wandering nuisance on the battlefield. Primarily, your character class defines your weapon/item set.

For instance, the Sneeker uses a melee sword, can go invisible, use EMG grenades, hack enemy item stations to turn them over to your team and even control a fantastic snooper drone that you can use to fly around the map, scouting for the enemy. Talk about skills!

Making things more complex still, each character has their own associated vehicle (which are created as and when required at designated spawn points).

Only the bazooka guard can drive a tank, while the Sky Jockey is the only one who can fly either of the two fantastic aircraft - the rocket-spewing Steed or the frankly brilliant troop transporting Mule, which you can use to drop off team-mates - or simply parachute out of!

And things get yet more complex - as with Pariah, when a character dies, they drop upgrade spheres, which you can use to make your character more deadly still.

For instance, the sniper can earn a pair of pistols so he can actually defend himself at close range, while the rocket soldier can earn a rotary cannon that does extra damage to vehicles.

If it sounds too much, forget it - it's a doddle and a joy to get to grips with, as are the maps.

With a unique style for each - holding objective points a la Halo's Territory mode, moving through control points Wolfenstein-style, pushing through spawn points as with Pariah's Frontline Assault... it's all catered for and each map is uniquely balanced and designed to work with whatever number of players you can muster.

In short, the multiplayer maps are masterclasses in level design. In fact, there are a million more multiplayer features that you'd best discover for yourself - mounted turrets, movable teleporters - features that just keep adding layers to the tactical possibilities without ever cluttering up the experience.

Whether casual online player or hardcore clan gamer, Conker Live is for you.

doesn't sound so horrible to me :D

Ristamar

border said:
Except that games like those were and are constantly referred to as remakes. Hell, people even did a like play on words with Resident Evil GC (REmake) when by your definition it should be an "updated port".

Similarly, most games with radically different gameplay than the originals are considered sequels, spinoffs, or alternative versions because they are very clearly not the same game. Think about all those GB and GBA versions of popular 32-bit games (Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark, Splinter Cell, Tony Hawk). Are those remakes? Think about the NES/Genesis arcade ports that had radically different features and stages from the originals (Strider, Moonwalker). Are those remakes? Nobody refers to them as "remakes".

It's all semantics, but the definition of a "remake" in gaming culture/press seems to be radically different than what's offered here.

I wholeheartedly concur.

Stop with all this positive stuff. This is a hate thread.

:( oh...

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE! ms overpaid for rare! who's laughing NOW ms! i haven't played the finished product but clearly it sucks nuts! you took rare! you were greedy and now look what you get! dog shit thats what, while nintendo is flourishing! i love it... i love it! for shaaaaaaaaaaaaaame ms, for shame!

yes, because they gave games like mechassault 2 and forza 9's as well. oh wait no they didn't. did you even read the review? it doesn't read like a press release or "hey, this game is awesome, buy now!". but like someone else already stated, i should've known better than to inject some positive comments about the game in this thread

The great part is, though, that for all of its crude jokes, feces references and sexual content, it's still a deep, satisfying game with an underlying intelligence that South Park couldn't even dream of.

wtf? south park > conker (humor wise)

Amir0x

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf? south park > conker (humor wise)

This is an understatement.

South Park >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Conker (humor wise)

But!

Conker >>>>>>>>>>>>> South Park gameplay wise ;)

border

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yes, because they gave games like mechassault 2 and forza 9's as well.
Here's the same random UK MSN Site on Grabbed By the Ghoulies :

"It's a treat"

"You'll be begging for more like it's some kind of lactating spank-madam with a packet of Nesquik, mark our words."

"Visually, Ghoulies is perhaps one of the finest games on the Xbox,"

"But as a whole, it's a dazzling, albeit somewhat flawed masterpiece."

"the entire finished product is pure trademark excellence."

Top Bottom