• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker IGN review (oh #*&$)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
mrklaw said:
for ports/remakes, they should give a score for those that have never played the original, like me.

I agree, I never played Conker on N64 either. That's why I don't particularly care if the multiplayer's bad, I just want a graphically enhanced single player campaign :)

Shompola

Banned
Alcibiades said:
are you sure that one was a remake?

I remember the official title being Super Castlevania IV...

it was the only Castlevania I owned growing up and an incredible game...

I recently passed the NES-edition Castlevania on Gameboy and don't remember many similarities in terms of stages and bosses, except for the traditional Medusa and Dracula...

I remember Paula Abgoul, some Bethemoth and Skeleton bad guys from part IV that don't appear in the original...

Yes it is a remake... not a 1:1 remake with new enhanced sound and graphics though... a lot is redone or completely different.. but it is a remake.

Mrbob

Hmm, Battlefield 2 or Conker for online play. Tough choice! :D

The lackluster multiplayer rumors come to fruition. A price drop awaits.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Smiles and Cries said:
this should be the greatest game ever for the amount of dev time it took
Jesus Christ, it's a remake too, everything's already there, they just had to improve. Seriously, there's no way a game like this shouldn't be above a 9 (Atleast from IGN!) with all of this time spent....

Any1

If the multi player is as bad as IGN says then i am starting to really question if MS's purchase of Rare wasn't such a great decision after all. The mp aspect of the game is the first yard stick we've really had (imo) to judge if Rare still had the chops to create AAA quality games. And when you consider how long it took them to make the game, there is no excuse for the mp being anything but exceptional.

This score also makes me nervous about how well PD0 will turn out. MS has alot riding on that game, and since it is being pushed as the number 1 reason to buy a 360, If it turns out to be just a decent game, then the 360 is gonna have a tough time convincing people that they shouldn't just wait for the PS3.

And as i said above when you consider the amount of time Conker has been in developement for the Xbox along with the amount of money MS paid for Rare i think us fans, as well as MS expected alot better game. That is, of course, provided that IGN's review is the rule and not the exception.

Culex

Banned
All those hundreds of millions of dollars and Xbox owners only get two games.... neither of which are as high a calibur as previous Rare projects....

Bring on next gen! :lol

turok4n64

Banned
wow and to think this was the reason why i was going to buy an xbox with xbox live...not anymore Microsoft...not anymore...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
turok4n64 said:
wow and to think this was the reason why i was going to buy an xbox with xbox live...not anymore Microsoft...not anymore...

because of a single review. ign no less. :lol

great news for trolls though

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For the record, it is my opinion that Rare's decline was already evident towards then end of their N64 era. I'm not surprised.

bitwise

Banned
op_ivy said:
because of a single review. ign no less. :lol

great news for trolls though

isnt it ridiculous? And these are the same people who have said forever that ign reviews are crap.. now they are gospel. an 8.1 is awful that means the game is like a 5.7!!

well I dont even consider conker as a "omg multiplayer" game

having owned and briefly played the n64 version I liked what I saw (I only got to the great mighty poo in that version) so the single player which from the review sounds to be a 9 game is what im looking forward to.

I mean between WoW and BF2 this summer...console multiplayer games? LAFF! :)

Shiggy

mrklaw said:
Yes, because MS have Nostradamus on their staff. How long ago did MS buy Rare?

The official deal was in September 2002, but some strange things were already happening in December 2001, when Microsoft registered the name "It's Mr.Pants" for Rare.

Sagitario

Shompola said:
Yes it is a remake... not a 1:1 remake with new enhanced sound and graphics though... a lot is redone or completely different.. but it is a remake.

I don't see it as a remake... they have the same storyline but from a diferent approach or points of view... don't remember very well... is Simon Belmont on both games?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Farore said:
I don't see it as a remake... they have the same storyline but from a diferent approach or points of view... don't remember very well... is Simon Belmont on both games?
Sounds kind of like Ocarina of Time & A Link to the Past.

border

How could you even remotely consider Castlevania 4 to be a remake of the first one? The games are almost completely different. Aside from stages with similar themes (but totally different layouts) and some shared bosses, they aren't much alike.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
WTF. Super Castlevania is Castlevania FOUR, not a remake of the original.

Yeah I'm curious how this is thought to be a remake. They both star Simon taking on Dracula, is that it?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ToyMachine228 said:
Let's see, it was when Star Fox Adventures was released, so if I remember correctly, it was...September 2002?
Well, that was when it was announced. We have no idea when they actually bought them; It could have been in 2001.

Shompola

Banned
KDups said:
Yeah I'm curious how this is thought to be a remake. They both star Simon taking on Dracula, is that it?

No that is not it. Check out info about the japanese release and you'll understand.

Shiggy

GaimeGuy said:
Well, that was when it was announced. We have no idea when they actually bought them; It could have been in 2001.

I really think it was in December 2001. Why would MS register the name "It's Mr. Pants" for them at that date? It was still announced as Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers.

Red Scarlet

It was only called (Super) Castlevania IV in the US (and Europe if it came out there). In Japan it had the same title as the first game on the Famicom/NES (Akumajou Dracula), with no subtitle. It was a remake of the first game. I only found out a couple of months ago.

border

I don't see how Castlevania 4 is a remake other than having the same basic storyline....in which case Doom 3 and probably half the Zelda games are all remakes.
In Japan it had the same title as the first game on the Famicom/NES (Akumajou Dracula), with no subtitle. It was a remake of the first game.
So does that mean that Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) and Shinobi (PS2) are also remakes? Hell, does that mean that Ninja Gaiden (NES) is a remake of Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)? To say that a radically different game with the same title is a "remake" is getting into silly territory.

SantaC

Red Scarlet said:
It was only called (Super) Castlevania IV in the US (and Europe if it came out there). In Japan it had the same title as the first game on the Famicom/NES (Akumajou Dracula), with no subtitle. It was a remake of the first game. I only found out a couple of months ago.

even though castlevania 4 was a remake, the levels and content, bosses and stuff were brand new.

Mejilan

At best, you could say that Super Castlevania was a reinvisioning of the original's story, as the gameplay was WILDLY different.

Red Scarlet

I'm just saying what I've been told about it, after being reminded by other posters that know the same thing.

Bringing up other titles to use as a counter example is sillier, border.

Mejilan

Red Scarlet said:
Bringing up other titles to use as a counter example is sillier, border.

Not really, seeing that Border's got a point, and you actually don't. No offense.

Hell, was Castlevania for the N64 a remake of the original? As that featured the same name, and I even think it had an 80s copyright on the title screen! Hey, it must be MORE of a remake, since it was just called Castlevania, with no "Super" or "64" added to it...

Shompola

Banned
Border only had a point about DOOM 3 and I have allready explained the differences when explaining to efralope. No need to repeat the shit and derail the conker thread with off topic info.

And as far as I am concerned, remake does not necessary mean rehash. Big difference. Maybe there is where the confusion originates from.

border

Shompola said:
Border only had a point about DOOM 3 and I have allready explained the differences when explaining to efralope. No need to repeat the shit and derail the conker thread with off topic info.
You said "a lot is redone or different"....but nothing is really redone, it's all completely different with similar premises.

What constitutes CV4 as a "remake"? It has ta similar story and the same title, but there's dozens of examples of games in a similar position (same story, same title, totally different game) that aren't commonly regarded remakes. A remake doesn't have to be an exact duplicate with better graphics, but for an action game I'd say it should be at least replicate it to some extent beyond the artwork and story. When all the stages are completely different you are now either talking about a sequel or sidestory or something.

Super CV4 is a remake in the same sense that movies (War of the worlds, king kong) are remakes. Stuff like Conker or Metal Gear Twin Snakes where the gameplay is pretty much the same, are more like updated ports. I wouldn't put them in the same category though.

Red Scarlet

I do have a point, as well as the other posters that first stated it was. Read up on it and see. I didn't believe it was either.

From the Castlevania Dungeon:

There's also some confusion about the games featuring Simon Belmont. For all intents of purpose, the MSX Vampire Killer, NES Castlevania, SNES Super Castlevania IV, arcade Haunted Castle and X68000/PSX Castlevania Chronicles are just different versions of the same story. They also all have the same name in Japan (simply Akumajou Dracula.) Therefore, they are counted as one. The only real difference between any of them is that Haunted Castle has the unnamed main character fighting to save his newly-wed wife (called Selena on a Japanese fansite, though who knows how canon that is) from Dracula. Similarly, both the PC Engine and SNES Dracula X are considered the same game.

I'm trying to ask the guy that told me to begin with where he got his info.

border

Ninja Scooter said:
Stuff like Conker or Metal Gear Twin Snakes where the gameplay is pretty much the same, are more like updated ports.
Except that games like those were and are constantly referred to as remakes. Hell, people even did a like play on words with Resident Evil GC (REmake) when by your definition it should be an "updated port".

Similarly, most games with radically different gameplay than the originals are considered sequels, spinoffs, or alternative versions because they are very clearly not the same game. Think about all those GB and GBA versions of popular 32-bit games (Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark, Splinter Cell, Tony Hawk). Are those remakes? Think about the NES/Genesis arcade ports that had radically different features and stages from the originals (Strider, Moonwalker). Are those remakes? Nobody refers to them as "remakes".

It's all semantics, but the definition of a "remake" in gaming culture/press seems to be radically different than what's offered here.

Ranger X

Oh my god! Maybe Super Mario 3 is a remake of Super Mario? It's the same story (jump and deliver the princess) and there's also some backgrounds that looks like it's at the same place (mushroom kingdom).

Whatever any morons says, i would never call Castlevania 4 a remake of the first one. It's alleluia not similar enough.

blackadde

port: most art assets are reused, code base is the same, oftentimes glitches and quirks of the game engine are left intact

remake: scenario-for-scenario the same game but with an entirely different engine and/or art (models, textures, sprites, etc)

re-imagining (god I hate that term): game using an existing franchise but wiping the canon clean, plotline and possibly gameplay have a striking similarity but gameplay scenarios are different

Does that about cover it?

SnowWolf said:
Read through the review for once, guys. He says singleplayer warrants a 9+ score, but the multiplayer is lackluster and drags the score down.

That's fine with me, since I wasn't impressed with the Live play either :)

a few weeks ago when everyone was complaining about the few cut scenes and the censoring of the game, thus making it less than the N64, people were chanting OMG the multiplayer will be amazing and the meat and potatoes of the game and now here we are and were being told the multiplayer is lackluster and not what it was hyped to be

AniHawk

Wyzdom said:
Oh my god! Maybe Super Mario 3 is a remake of Super Mario? It's the same story (jump and deliver the princess)

I'd make fun of that if I didn't know English was your second language.

tenchir

After putting in 7 hours into the game, I wonder how did I beat the game the first time without a guide because I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what to do next and what puzzles I have to solve. They should have giving better clues so you know where to go and what to do next.

As for graphics, I am impressed, but there are slowdowns in some parts of the game. The worst slowdown that I have experience is the level with the catfish swimming, the framerate was really bad in that level.

tenchir said:
After putting in 7 hours into the game, I wonder how did I beat the game the first time without a guide because I am having a lot of trouble figuring out what to do next and what puzzles I have to solve. They should have giving better clues so you know where to go and what to do next.

As for graphics, I am impressed, but there are slowdowns in some parts of the game. The worst slowdown that I have experience is the level with the catfish swimming, the framerate was really bad in that level.

Yeah the game is gorgeous...if Rare can produce this on Xbox I don't wanna know what they can do with X360. There is some slowdown in the catfish level yes, but hardly any in the rest of the game that I played. I don't really care about these little things, you must see the bigger picture and that's a game that's is massive with gorgeous GRFX and hardly any load times.
It's a pretty hard game but I am enjoying it, the SP is awesome 9,5 from me.

I don't care much about reviews these days seems the $%%$## don't play the games anymore but it's more like a race who has their review the fastest on the net.

Gek54

Hard game? Did they make it harder than the N64 version? ...becuase that game was cake except for the dam lazer obsticles.

border

blackadde said:
Does that about cover it?
Pretty much. Level design and artwork are at the heart of any action game, and if those are not only altered but thrown out completely then you are no longer remaking an old game, but producing an entirely new work. Since it's really the gameplay that makes the game, I don't see why a mere repetition of the story and title should be considered a remake. If Castlevania 4 were a puzzle game or a point 'n click adventure, would you still call it a remake just because it shares the same title and story?

SantaC

Mejilan said:
Hell, was Castlevania for the N64 a remake of the original? As that featured the same name, and I even think it had an 80s copyright on the title screen! Hey, it must be MORE of a remake, since it was just called Castlevania, with no "Super" or "64" added to it...

haha i don't think so. The original never had motorcycling skeletons :D

Top Bottom