• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD is Priced at $60 USD

Draugoth

Gold Member
donkey-kong-912x569.jpg

Nintendo has announced that the recently announced Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, an enhanced re-release of the original Wii game with the 3DS content intact, will cost $59.99. Prospective players can pre-order the title on the Switch eShop.

This decision does seem strange since Metroid Prime Remastered is priced at $39.99. Fans have expressed mild disappointment about Donkey Kong Country Returns HD not being a substantial enough visual overhaul, with some even saying that it looks worse in several regards when analyzing the reveal trailer.

Source

Power Pro

Does Nintendo even release games that are cheaper than $60 for their major franchises? This was always gonna be $60.
What's so perplexing, is that their best effort for a re-release on the Switch was Metroid Prime, and that was only $40. If any deserved to be $60, it's that one. Yet all these lazy looking ports (Luigi's Mansion 2, and this) are getting the full $60 tacked on.

Astral Dog

What's so perplexing, is that their best effort for a re-release on the Switch was Metroid Prime, and that was only $40. If any deserved to be $60, it's that one. Yet all these lazy looking ports (Luigi's Mansion 2, and this) are getting the full $60 tacked on.
because they need Metroid Prime to reach more players, DK is a big brand, it will sell at $60

Nintendo's price strategies work well as the market is willing to pay for their games if it was up to me i would price all their remasters at $40 as well, but i would be stupid to do so with such premium brands

the qualiy has to be good however, those Wii port comparisons are concerning

Duh. Did anyone expect different? Nintendo are the masters at releasing remasters with hardly any work put into them for full price. It's why I get so annoyed at people when they complain about Sony releasing remasters as at least they put work into theirs. Nintendo knows the thing will sell regardless.

Ozzie666

That's a lot of bananas.

Fools like me who keep buying things like Luigi Mansion 2., $70 game here. But no regrets. I am empowering Nintendo to do high prices for remakes.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Nintendo's price strategies work well as the market is willing to pay for their games
It works, it's true, but at least here on the forum, there are already doubts regarding this pricing policy. Nintendo games, no matter how special they are, are still games, force $60 on a simple game, consumers need to react or they will pay $70 on the next gen for software whose real value is much lower.

Astral Dog

It works, it's true, but at least here on the forum, there are already doubts regarding this pricing policy. Nintendo games, no matter how special they are, are still games, force $60 on a simple game, consumers need to react or they will pay $70 on the next gen for software whose real value is much lower.
That depends on them and on the market tbf, seeing how the economy is going, i think Nintendo will push more digital sales compared to this gen, and more promotions like the Vouchers ,add more value to their online service.

Its unlikely they will lower retail prices though, at most they keep some games at $60

Last edited:

Emedan

For some fucking reason is Luigis Mansion 2 HD priced more expensive here in Sweden than TOTK.. what the fuck? I was gonna pick it up but not for that price.

Regginator

I know they're a commercial company and their whole raison d'être is making money for their glorious and divine shareholders, but nevertheless it remains a disgrace. Charging 60 bucks for a lackluster, barebones upressed remaster of a 14 year (albeit great) game is ridiculous, and truly something only Nintendo would do - and miraculously always get away with. They know they have great games, and they're willing to squeeze every penny out of it. More often than not with success, unfortunately.

Especially bewildering considering Metroid Prime Remaster - which was pretty much a remake considering how much improved it looked and played - was only twothirds of that.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Crash Nsane Trilogy - a complete remake of 3 games - $40

Spyro Reignited - a complete remake of 3 games - $40

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD - A lazy remaster - $60

When Activision destroys you on value you know you screwed up.
I'm saying!

I've been telling people for years. Its easy to pick on Activision or EA or something, but its like people are either blind, dumb or deaf to Nintendo's greed and scumminess

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
no reason it shouldnt be full price, cant wait for it

This is some wild delulu....

I mean, you forgot this at the end of your post ( /s )
You are part of the problem.
Pretty much.

Only the fucking greediest of greedy companies charge full price for a damn remaster, a port... , but so long as sheep exist, they will mindlessly spend I guess lol

I'm not even suggesting free or something, I get the port team needs to be paid, but no remaster should be full price lol They charge that based on greed, its a completed game merely being ported.

Top Bottom