• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD is Priced at $60 USD

Woopah

DK Vine? Huh, I didn't remember that.

Technically, they're only the same thing due to EPD8 being the only production group at their Tokyo department; Nintendo could establish an EPD11 over then, and it would still be EPD Tokyo. EAD Tokyo previously had two development groups (and one was created much later).

Had no idea! Considering their history with DK, and the fact that the Kyoto people make the 2D Mario titles, it surely cannot be anything other than a new Donkey Kong game (aside from a new IP, but eh, less likely).
Insane that EPD Tokyo hasn't fully released any project since 2017, but I do attribute that to Nintendo not letting them.
Technical yes. They could add another production group to Tokyo, but I'm not even sure if "EPD Tokyo" is an official term that Nintendo uses. I don't see them use the term "EPD Kyoto" anywhere.

I do think that EPD8 working on two games at once would partially explain their absence.

I get that 1 million selling isn't 'bad' but when the user base is 150 million.....I would think that a Mario game (and Donkey Kong) selling to less than 1% of your user base has to be disappointing.
I doubt it. And a Mario versus donkey Kong game is a very specific audience. It’s a 2D puzzle platformer. Nintendo wouldn’t have expected it to not follow a similar trend to previous entries in the series. Which is really the only marker to look at for historical precedent. And it surely will have legs. Again I don’t think anyone involved in sales puts an entire userbase of a system against a single game and says “why isn’t this number higher. Look how many owners there are.” Just not how it’s ever worked.

nial

Gold Member
Technical yes. They could add another production group to Tokyo, but I'm not even sure if "EPD Tokyo" is an official term that Nintendo uses. I don't see them use the term "EPD Kyoto" anywhere.

I do think that EPD8 working on two games at once would partially explain their absence.
It's something fans made up, but they most likely use them internally, considering that EAD was structured the same way.
SIE used to be like that; they've had several, different studio departments over the course of years, yet Team Asobi is the first one to be truly acknowledged outside of PR documents and stuff since Polys Entertainment, which ceased to exist in 1998 (and well, both are the only ones to not have very generic department names).

Top Bottom