• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD is Priced at $60 USD

Luckily I can just hop on eBay and pay a tenner for a Wii copy if I wanna play it again.

Folk already shown Nintendo they'll clamour for overpriced low-effort ports after that Mario 3D All-Stars collection, I got no sympathy.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Hahaha no, I’m not fully retarded enough to get on my knees and suck these companies’ dicks. I still have some personal dignity left. Not much but I haven’t went and bought knee pads yet, so I’m still holding strongish.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Those who like it will still buy but I really question their standards.

I can't help but think that they are slowly eased in to buying shitty products. for $60/$70, I expect Xenoblade 1 remaster quality not this shit.

Trilobit

Gold Member
DKCR 2 was a big disappointment for me. What made the DKC games so good was, amongst other things, the tight controls. I felt like I had control over every little moment my apes made. When I played the new game on my Switch I was constantly falling off platforms and felt anxiety every time I'd roll. But the graphics and music were nice.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So remember when Nintendo delisted Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze from the Wii U eShop that was selling for $40 so they could push people to buy the Switch version for $60 that had no major difference besides adding Funky Kong?

Yeah this price doesn't surprise me.

Not only will it sell, it will be $60 5 years from now. What Nintendo is doing clearly works so I can't blame them. They aren't sticking their games on PC, slashing prices and devaluing there games. They are doing the opposite of everyone else and are winning.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
good thing people like me exist
Touché, good sir. I’ve seen Stockholm Syndrome up close and personal. If you need help make the “hand gesture” and do not forget to tuck the thumb. I believe you can also call an order some kind of pizza with certain toppings.

We are here for you.

Last edited:

LordCBH

$50 for what looks like a straight port of the Wii game. Lmao. They couldn’t have at least given it the graphics upgrades the sequel got? Lazy.

Ev1L AuRoN

60 for this game is insane, Barely any improvements other than resolution, a single game, not a collection. I love you Nintendo, but I'll skip this one, maybe in the future If I find one on sale, 40 bucks are the absolutely max I'm willing to pay for this game.

I mean enough people would buy it. However unless the problems won’t getting fixed the reviews will impact the success.

I hope they either delay the game and make sure it’s in a good state or I really hope they will learn that if the want to ask full price for a remaster it should also have a certain level of quality.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lame. This is a 14 year old great game, it deserves a better remaster than this and it shouldn't be 60 dollars.

Then again it's Nintendo.

Maybe if the Switch Version has extra content I will pick it up

I don’t mind day 1 prices but it has to fall after a year or two.

Gets difficult to invest in the platform. You go and buy a Switch and max you can get is 3 games to go with your new system.

Gojiira

What's so perplexing, is that their best effort for a re-release on the Switch was Metroid Prime, and that was only $40. If any deserved to be $60, it's that one. Yet all these lazy looking ports (Luigi's Mansion 2, and this) are getting the full $60 tacked on.
Sorry but no remaster deserves full price at all, its scummy asf…Then again that sums up Nintendos pricing policy perfectly

Metroid Prime remaster obviously had considerably more work(money) put into it, but because the series has never been a sales barn-burner they priced it to move. I'd have upgraded my 3DS versions of this and LM2 at $40, so I'll hold off until these get their 30% discount in 2026. Enough people will rebuy this at $60 though, as well as those who never played the originals, that they'll have no reason not to keep their pricing strategies.

Does Nintendo even release games that are cheaper than $60 for their major franchises? This was always gonna be $60.
It's a remaster of a Wii game, from 2010. It's the third time they're releasing it on a new platform. $60 seems excessive.

Wind Waker HD for Wii U was only $50
and even new games like Mario vs DK this year was only $50.

$60 for DKCR HD is excessive, for sure.

Nintendo knows you will pay it.
This. Overall I'm happy more games locked to old platforms are getting rereleased. That's not the issue. The issue is the excessive price, that goes above what they have charged recently, even more than a new game. Not to mention, this is the third time it's been released on a different platform.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Excited Donkey Kong GIF

Luigi's Mansion 2 isn't lazy, look at the DF video. They brought the game up to LM3 standards.
LOL. So they do praise the upgrades. But literally in the video they clearly state it is still nowhere near LM3 levels of fidelity. Which is also obvious just from watching, to be clear.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's crazy to me that Forever Entertainment landed this contract. Judging by the number of issues and graphical downgrades people found in the trailer vs the Wii version, they better start crunching.
I didn't see straight "downgrades", more like they are making too many opinionated decisions in regards to graphical effects and art style, sometimes they look better, most of the time they don't.

I didn't see straight "downgrades", more like they are making too many opinionated decisions in regards to graphical effects and art style, sometimes they look better, most of the time they don't.
It certainly looks better than either the Wii or 3DS versions. But man, $60 for a minor updated port of a Wii game? Yikes. Hard pass for me if it's above $40. It's more expensive than the original release on Wii. That's just crazy

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It certainly looks better than either the Wii or 3DS versions. But man, $60 for a basic port of a Wii game? Yikes. Hard pass for me if it's above $40.
These HD remasters are for people that didn't play it before tho, not only from Nintendo but from everyone else, they're new games for those that haven't experience it yet.

People already interested will pay the $60 and will make up for the ones not paying, increasing profits in the end, that's just business, the reason others are not charging the same or more is because they can't, they don't have that much of a market strength they can exploit the same way.

But I guess their pricing strategy isn't only for short term profits, if they start pricing many of their old games lower, their "premium" perception will fall and those, with same or more quality than new releases, will cannibalize the later sales... Or that's how I think they interpret it, because some games no way will sell more at $60 than they would at $40 or $30.

These HD remasters are for people that didn't play it before tho, not only from Nintendo but from everyone else, they're new games for those that haven't experience it yet.

People already interested will pay the $60 and will make up for the ones not paying, increasing profits in the end, that's just business, the reason others are not charging the same or more is because they can't, they don't have that much of a market strength they can exploit the same way.

But I guess their pricing strategy isn't only for short term profits, if they start pricing many of their old games lower, their "premium" perception will fall and those, with same or more quality than new releases, will cannibalize the later sales... Or that's how I think they interpret it, because some games no way will sell more at $60 than they would at $40 or $30.
No, I don't agree. I think the game will be played by plenty of people who've played it before. It's both, of course. But many people who bought it once will buy it again for Switch. It released on two popular system with large install bases. They just released Mario vs DK in February, which was a brand new game made from scratch, even though it was based on the original. And that was only $50. So clearly their pricing isn't based on the cost of development. It's based solely on what they think people will pay. It's pure greed, through and through. Wind Waker HD launched at $50. A far more beloved game than DKCR, and far more work involved clearly than this port.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Crash Nsane Trilogy - a complete remake of 3 games - $40

Spyro Reignited - a complete remake of 3 games - $40

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD - A lazy remaster - $60

When Activision destroys you on value you know you screwed up.
I think Mario vs Donkey Kong was priced at $50 (I think) and that bombed big time. All of these should be $40 max!

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
No, I don't agree. I think the game will be played by plenty of people who've played it before. It's both, of course. But many people who bought it once will buy it again for Switch. It released on two popular system with large install bases. They just released Mario vs DK in February, which was a brand new game made from scratch, even though it was based on the original. And that was only $50. So clearly their pricing isn't based on the cost of development. It's based solely on what they think people will pay. It's pure greed, through and through.
Well, yeah, that's what I said in regards to pricing, they ask for what their data says people are whiling to pay. If others could do the same, they would, there you have latest FROM games being $60 with barely any price reduction during season sales because they can, same for GTAV for a long while (I guess they reduced its price so more people get into online), Skyrim barely went down in price and when it did, the remaster came out on PS4/Xbone.

If people are soooo whiling to double dip, then they're also voting with their wallets, they are exploitable as well and I think it's pretty obvious why. They should wait for a sale or get a voucher.

Well, yeah, that's what I said in regards to pricing, they ask for what their data says people are whiling to pay. If others could do the same, they would, there you have latest FROM games being $60 with barely any price reduction during season sales because they can, same for GTAV for a long while (I guess they reduced its price so more people get into online), Skyrim barely went down in price and when it did, the remaster came out on PS4/Xbone.

If people are soooo whiling to double dip, then they're also voting with their wallets, they are exploitable as well and I think it's pretty obvious why. They should wait for a sale or get a voucher.
We're talking about a game from 2010 for Wii, that was already rereleased once in 2013, and is now being rereleased *again for the third time, for $60, with minimal effort done to update the game. It's got nothing to do with pricing for brand new large-scale games that ought to be full price. Using a voucher on a $60 rerelease of a 14 year old game is a huge waste of a voucher. But I'm sure some will do it. Wait for a sale and buy it then, save your voucher for actual new games that won't go on sale for a long time and you want to play right away. Like Mario & Luigi.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
We're talking about a game from 2010 for Wii, that was already rereleased once in 2013, and is now being rereleased *again for the third time, for $60, with minimal effort done to update the game. It's got nothing to do with pricing for brand new large-scale games that ought to be full price. Using a voucher on a $60 rerelease of a 14 year old game is a huge waste of a voucher. But I'm sure some will do it. Wait for a sale and buy it then, save your voucher for actual new games that won't go on sale for a long time and you want to play right away. Like Mario & Luigi.
It ok pal, I also think it's too expensive and 99% probably won't get it (mostly because difficulty spikes of DK:TF), but I'm just trying to figure things out from Nintendo POV and considering how the actual target audience would perceive the product.

Luigi's Mansion 2 isn't lazy, look at the DF video. They brought the game up to LM3 standards.
I'm just seeing it because I saw your statement but they literally say "from a technical standpoint, it's certainly no match for Luigi's Mansion 3".

It doesn't look bad tho, I thought it looked worse, yet not in the same level.

Top Bottom