• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

2016 doom is for a simple man who likes simple things
Eternal is like dancing on a tune on higher difficulty u really need to find the rhythm of every weapon and enemy and how to deal with them

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah. 2016 is way better. Don't get me wrong, Eternal is a fun game but it's too much.
Eternal is too busy, botches the plot and characters
I have 12 ammo shells in doom game.
You constantly press every recharged thingy. Flamethower, chainsaw, grenades, sword, glory kill and more.

Doom 1 and 2 were a simple combat puzzle games. Simple but complex to master.
In fact, Halo is a better sequel to doom than Eternal is...
2016 is amazing but it's also not really a perfect doom sequel.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
btw what's up with titanfall 2 cock sucking in here?
It's a short good game but good character(one character, the robot) and cool mobility.
But it's singularity grade game. not half-life 2. You people are crazy.
I still replay hl2 every few years and it's still amazing. Titanfall 2 I played and forgot... and I even replayed Singularity which imo is kinda better.

edit:
The real answers here when we think of top PC shooters are Fear, Return to castle Wolfenstein (amazing campaign, I replayed some time ago), Max Payne 2 and so on.
I also replayed HL1 and MP1 and these aged really frustratingly... like very very quick save/load design. I got annoyed.
I tried replaying Unreal but I got lost mid way through. That game levels are a nightmare later on... but first 2-3 levels are pure amazing.
Edit: of course, Returnal and Gears of war are on my list but these do not really fit into PC shooter category.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
btw what's up with titanfall 2 cock sucking in here?
It's a short good game but good character(one character, the robot) and cool mobility.
But it's singularity grade game. not half-life 2. You people are crazy.
I still replay hl2 every few years and it's still amazing. Titanfall 2 I played and forgot... and I even replayed Singularity which imo is kinda better.
Funny you say that, I always thought the gunplay in HL games was a bit lacking.

Btw! Check out this mod, you might want to use it on your next playthough. It add actual ballistics instead of hitscan weapons, so the shooting must feel better with it. (I haven't tried it yet)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm playing Doom 2016 right now thanks to PS+, it's a lot of fun! Really feels like a modern take on the original Doom formula. Will play Eternal too at some point for sure.

Opinions on which one is better seem divided though, with some preferring the more straightforward action of 2016 and others liking the complexity they added to Eternal.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think Eternal was a great single player experience for what it did. The combat "dance" so to speak was really cool (probably the best part IMO), the unlockables, replayability, etc. It's a good and fun experience through and through.

I personally just wished the tone was.... tuned down a bit. It's why I naturally feel myself leaning towards 2016 more. Because it felt more like DOOM to me in a variety of ways, and it wasn't cranked to 11.

I personally think that 2016 and Eternal are some of the best FPS single player experiences, especially in a LONG time. But ever made? I don't think I agree. If I were to choose one, man, it'd take a long time because there's SO many variables.

PooBone

Best SP FPS ever

The combat loop is the peak of fps gaming and if you liked 2016 better it's because you like simple less challenging games.

I loved 2016 but Eternal blows it away in every way imaginable if you git gud.

I have it on the top of my list with TitanFall2, Half Life 1, Fear, and Quake just behind.
I wish this post had more substance. Thanks for your opinion, I guess. Isn't there an official thread somewhere?

Apocryphon

I'm playing Doom 2016 right now thanks to PS+, it's a lot of fun! Really feels like a modern take on the original Doom formula. Will play Eternal too at some point for sure.

Opinions on which one is better seem divided though, with some preferring the more straightforward action of 2016 and others liking the complexity they added to Eternal.
Doom 2016 has a better atmosphere and better art direction. I even prefer the combat to Eternal. Once you have played Eternal, run through Doom 2016 again ro see what you think. Eternal is very well put together but I think it takes steps backwards in a lot of areas.

In 2016, make sure you do the mastery challenge for the super shotgun. The uranium shells that penetrate through enemies and hit those behind and the double trouble upgrade make it invaluable. It doesn't get the flame chain nonsense that people seem to love in Eternal which was born out of a Quake mod that added a grappling hook, but it's a better weapon. The only weapons I prefer in Eternal are the improved combat shotgun, and the Plasma Rifle, and even then I hate the microwave beam mod on the latter.

raduque

To you maybe, to me I didn't have to think about it once I got into the flow of things. It's still a rather simple game.
I'm old, so I guess my reflexes and cognitive abilities aren't good enough anymore. Constantly having to micromanage all the abilities and cooldowns/timers, endlessly switching weapons, the millisecond perfect timing and shot placement, I just can't do it.

Pimpbaa

I'm old, so I guess my reflexes and cognitive abilities aren't good enough anymore. Constantly having to micromanage all the abilities and cooldowns/timers, endlessly switching weapons, the millisecond perfect timing and shot placement, I just can't do it.

I'm 46, there have been plenty of games where I simply didn't have the reflexes for them. If you couldn't play Eternal, then Doom 2016 must have been unplayable to you too because they really ain't that much different. I mean it only adds a fucking flame thrower to get armor from enemies and the sword later on (which is just a temporary easy way to kill enemies). Oh and some jumping shit here and there. The only thing that really makes Eternal harder is the increased number of enemies on screen as well as a few harder demons.

That's what makes it unenjoyable.
The resource management is there to drag some players by the neck to use other weapons.

It's fun to use different weapons and find out there strengths and weakness. If the resource management wasn't there's a bunch of goofball players would just use the super shotgun.

Which is fine the super shotgun is fun to use but some of us want a bit more than that.

It's fairly amusing that players bitched and moaned about the 2 weapon limit in ps3 and 360 era. Now there bitching about a game that demands having a weapon wheel and encourages weapon switching more than any other game.

No. Single player shooter is still a very wide category and Doom Eternal might be the best for some people, but not for others.

Personally I would say Half Life 1 / 2 or Duke Nukem 3D.

Having said that, I love Doom Eternal. At first I was also not liking it, until I accepted what the developers wanted me to do and began approaching the encounters with that in mind.

It's incredibly intensive and a lot of fun!

It's the closest I can get to the old quake / unreal tournament multiplayer matches but in single player.

Arioco

The game is truly amazing. Fun as hell (no pun intended), looks incredible and plays like a dream.

Last edited:

Gusy

dd0.jpg
51EPQ9V9XGL._SY445_.jpg

Probably my favorite game of all time.!! .................. not a shooter though

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Game was a downgrade compared to doom 2016.

It went from "let's bring fucking carnage on these Demon's and bring their asses back to hell" to

"oh, you missed the double jump. Fuck you do the puzzle again.
And shut up about gunplay. You want to do puzzles"

Pimpbaa

Game was a downgrade compared to doom 2016.

It went from "let's bring fucking carnage on these Demon's and bring their asses back to hell" to

"oh, you missed the double jump. Fuck you do the puzzle again.
And shut up about gunplay. You want to do puzzles"

This is false. Jumping puzzles are a fraction of the gameplay, unless you keep failing at them.

The_Mike

This is false. Jumping puzzles are a fraction of the gameplay, unless you keep failing at them.
I don't really care about anyone saying my statement is false.

MY experience was there was some combat but it kept getting interrupted by all the shitty jumping puzzle mechanics.

And yes. I failed miserably by doing them.

Because I usually play shooters like doom and not some acrobatic shit games to begin with.

As someone who recently played all dooms, this is my least enjoyable doom, shared with doom 2

Pimpbaa

I don't really care about anyone saying my statement is false.

MY experience was there was some combat but it kept getting interrupted by all the shitty jumping puzzle mechanics.

And yes. I failed miserably by doing them.

Because I usually play shooters like doom and not some acrobatic shit games to begin with.

As someone who recently played all dooms, this is my least enjoyable doom, shared with doom 2

Yeah, your experience but not the truth about the game as a whole. Going through the game at the intended pace, the jumping puzzles are very minor speed bumps. The fighting is vast majority of the gameplay.

The_Mike

SteadyEvo

Yeah… no. The resource management killed it for me. My brain 🧠 is thinking how to execute an enemy based on what I’m needing, armor ammo or health. Made an already frantic game frustrating.

But I’ll admit I did like the addition of platforming. Nice palette cleanser.

2016 was more simply, straightforward and fun for me. I have no desire to finish Eternal. I think 2016 overstayed it’s welcome by a few hours.

Titanfall 2 is the GOAT right beside OG Modern Warfare.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't get what's so hard about jumping a few platforms here and there, I passed through most of those "jumping puzzles" almost in a mindless way.

That said I played Metroid Prime back in the day so I dunno, maybe I'm just used to it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=doo...60l5.4819j0j9&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

G1kSLad.jpg

Me and hundreds of other doom fans are apparently lying about the game, altering the truth so Pimpbaa Pimpbaa s favorite puzzle shooter is not cateogrized as a full blown fps.
There are jumping parts but they’re very few in the scheme of the actual gameplay. To suggest they even come close to the amount you’re shooting is ridiculous

EDIT: also I’d say it’s the only FPS that’s done something actually new with genre in a while but not the best of all time actually. That’s probably half life 1

Last edited:
I like how Doom Eternal's monsters are more faithful to the original Doom, but 2016 was better.

Doom is like Star Wars/Street Fighter/etc. where basically the only things I like about it are the times where it does something similar to the original game.

Would honestly rather just play through Knee Deep in the Dead than any of the later games.

How can Doom games not have coop anymore when it was one of the signature features of the original game? The whole industry is nuts.

Last edited:
Best SP FPS ever

The combat loop is the peak of fps gaming and if you liked 2016 better it's because you like simple less challenging games.

I loved 2016 but Eternal blows it away in every way imaginable if you git gud.

I have it on the top of my list with TitanFall2, Half Life 1, Fear, and Quake just behind.

iPKatp6VvEFwBwMeYXSwhR-970-80.jpg
2016 is incredibly better. Beat both on nightmare. Eternal is good but blows because of it's lame ass platforming and shitty arenas. The level design is terrible compared to 2016. Also running out of ammo constantly so your forced to use shit you don't like is pretty lame. The bright ass ui/pick ups with the stupid extra lives is for pussies.

Eternal never has jump scares either and no retro Easter egg levels. It's boring AF between the big fights. "Git gud"...game is easy with all the stupid abilities.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The majority of people seem to agree with my OP that's it's best sp fps ever from the reactions.

All (46) Like (29)
LOL
LOL (11)
Fire
Fire (2)
Triggered
Triggered (1)
Praise the Sun
Praise the Sun (1)
Strength
Strength (1)
Empathy
Empathy​

thumbs-thumbs-up-kid.gif

EdGalTBR

Banned
Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are the best FPS of the market. They made games like Halo Infinite and Far Cry boring and below average to me.

ID Tech, Turn 10, Playground and Double Fine are the best Xbox Studios right now.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I preferred Doom 2016. Eternal wasn’t bad, but I felt like they cranked the difficulty curve x1000. Maybe I’m just old now lol.

Naw you’re not old. Doom Eternal actually does fight against the player. It expects you to maintain mobility and constantly switch weapons. You juggle health, armor, and ammo on the fly.

Doom 2016 on the other hand was a power fantasy. The game bends over for you, letting you steamroll with the Super Shotgun and Seige Cannon. Ammo management is not really a factor as chainsaw fuel is plentiful.

So its just a preference thing, do you want the easy girl or the girl who plays hard to get.

Danknugz

I got bored a few levels in tbh - I’m just not a fan of mindless shooters. My faves are OG Halo, Half Life 2 and Goldeneye - all are god-tier.
same, couldn't finish it

doom 2016 and doom eternal aesthetic were way too much like quake 3 arena with their neon colors and cool guy dubstep soundtrack, made me feel like i was at a rave. not he'll or he'll on earth like actual doom should be.

quake 3 got a pass with the weird aesthetics cause it was multiplayer only and had no real story.m

i finished doom 2016 reluctantly but eternal was more or less the same and just put it down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom