• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

I did like Doom 2016 enough to finish it, but it felt like I was forcing myself to play Eternal and didn't go back.
I share similar experience, however I want to force myself and finish Doom Eternal, because I paid for it :p. Who knows, maybe I will even change my mind about this game later on, but my initial impressions arnt very good.

Uiki

Sad to hear they kept going down that finishing move path. It was not clever.

Most seemed to think otherwise, but I didn't think 2016 was even in the spirit of doom. It played very well. The graphics and the enemy designs were great. The way... Doomsayer, ugh... wants to skip the story beats is great. Overall though, disappointing. The glory kill thing was ridiculous. Getting dumped into big rooms for regularly scheduled fights was not what I expected.
I still don't understand how people can call it "old school". It has nothing old school in it. Doom 1/2/64 are structurally totally different. I don't even consider Eternal a "shooter".. it's a first person action game with heavy resource management.
I want doom to be doom: labirinty-ish levels you need to navigate/explore while keeping m1 pressed until everything that can move stops moving. With 0 fucking story.

Thank god we got an fps renaissance thanks to new blood and the new 3d realms.

Sygma

Yeah can't disagree outside of ancient gods part 2 which kind of sucked. Part 1 was some fucking mad shit in a fps that I've pretty much experienced nowhere else, while I grew up literally hooked to ultimate doom and all the build engine fps back then, redneck rampage / outlaws yadda yadda

Quake 1 was near goat status if it wasn't for the last episode which was just badly designed

Last edited:

SnapShot

It's "fine"

Took some getting used to before the gameplay clicked but after finishing the main campaign I felt like I was just forcing myself to finish the first DLC and just gave up halfway through it

Wasn't a big fan of the even sillier tone and cartoonish art style either, but I'm sure the fans can just chalk that up to some bullshit gameplay-related excuse

Then you've got the obnoxious ackshully fanbase with their repetitive and annoying 3 copy pasted memes "omg isabel", "omg doomguy beter than master chef", "omg other shooters suck" like they just can't come up with anything better

And what the fuck happened to the multiplayer mode

Overall... Meh

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The worst would be hyperbolic. Out of the dozen of FPS I've played. it IS one of the worst in my opinion. Perhaps you just have your identity tied up too much to the game to be able accept a different opinion than your own. Instead of arguing, I'm curious, do you not find anything legitimately wrong with the game yourself?
For you to say Eternal is the worst fps you've ever played is so ridiculous. You obviously have no idea about what a successful fps should feel like. Whether you like Eternal or not, that is your opinion and that's fine but to call it the worst? I can't even begin to explain how much Eternal has demonstrated how far fps games have evolved. I've been gaming for over 30 years and it's one of the most fluid arena fps you can get, the movement and design is top tier. C'mon man, if you going to have an opinion just say you don't like it or why you don't like it, saying it's the worst is straight up trolling.

Jsisto

It was awesome, but like others have said I preferred 2016. I feel like eternal introduced too many new mechanics and became much more “rock, paper, scissors” as far as what weapon to use and when. From what I remember, 2016 had this also but it was much less pronounced and allowed more freedom. Both are fantastic games though. I was just thinking it might be time to revisit them.

Ahh i tried it immediately after it released and it didn't vibe for me; way too much shit to juggle, and the platforming sucked ass. So did its unnecessary focus on its plot.

Maybe i just wasn't in the mood. It's been a while, this thread convinced me to give it a weekend of my time to really get into it. FPS games are one of my favorite genres (FPS, Strategy and RPGs being the pillars of my entertainment in the medium), and i know Eternal is doing stuff right.

I don't agree with people saying that Doom 2016 is hard to go back to after playing Eternal. Doom 2016 is very straightforward in comparison with Eternal, yes, but it is an extremely fun power fantasy with a much more appealing (what little there is of it, but it's done right) plot. It's an infinitely better game than Doom 3, i never liked the gunplay in that game.

Romulus

I share similar experience, however I want to force myself and finish Doom Eternal, because I paid for it :p. Who knows, maybe I will even change my mind about this game later on, but my initial impressions arnt very good.

I gave it a few tries and kept putting it down. The good thing was I didn't pay for it, I had swapped it for another game with family.

Shifty

Then what’s your point?
That posting slow stop-and-pop as a defining example of what Doom 'is' and then excusing it by calling it a first playthrough is a great way to shoot your thesis in the foot 🤭

Last edited:

Crayon

I still don't understand how people can call it "old school". It has nothing old school in it. Doom 1/2/64 are structurally totally different. I don't even consider Eternal a "shooter".. it's a first person action game with heavy resource management.
I want doom to be doom: labirinty-ish levels you need to navigate/explore while keeping m1 pressed until everything that can move stops moving. With 0 fucking story.

Thank god we got an fps renaissance thanks to new blood and the new 3d realms.

Copy that. Im very happy with the boomer shooter trend. I understand
aaa game needs to be streamlined, so I'm glad those smaller productions can fill in that gap.

At the same time, I'm not convinced an fps with an actual level to explore couldn't be a hit. Backtracking or getting lost for a bit can be tough to manage because some players will end up lost for longer than others or even stuck, but throwing complex levels out the window can't be the only way. Descent 2 had one good option to mitigate that with the pathfinding nav droid.

Doom 2016>Titanfall 2>Doom eternal (maybe). Music in eternal is weak compared to 2016. Eternal is just too easy and mindless with garbage level design. Game holds your hand the whole time. Titanfall 2 completely shits on Eternal in every aspect. Absolutely love playing 2016 on ultra-nightmare. Spamming dash to get out of every situation and filling up on extra lives is fucking lame.

Last edited:
Doom 2016>Titanfall 2>Doom eternal (maybe). Music in eternal is weak compared to 2016. Eternal is just too easy and mindless with garbage level design. Game holds your hand the whole time. Titanfall 2 completely shits on Eternal in every aspect. Absolutely love playing 2016 on ultra-nightmare.
What difficulty did you play on?

Kev Kev

That posting slow stop-and-pop as a defining example of what Doom 'is' and then excusing it by calling it a first playthrough is a great way to shoot your thesis in the foot 🤭
no bc its not really stop and pop. whatever that made up term you came up with actually is

its doom

and eternal is not doom, or at least its strayed very far fromthe doom formula, likei said

cute emoji tho

Last edited:
I dont understand why people are acting like difficulty is what makes the difference in which is better when garbage players can just play on easy?

Also Titanfall 2 is harder than Eternal.

Last edited:

raduque

Night and day but also shows why I think so many people don't like Eternal, because it's "too hard" and requires too much thinking for the average player.
It's sad because Eternal is a phenomenal game and arguably one of the best shooters of all time. It's done what all others have failed and actually requires the player to think and prioritise enemies rather than mindlessly shoot.
Games should be enjoyable, not a chore. Doom Eternal is a chore.

Kev Kev

You sound like you were just bad at the game.

How and why would you describe one of the most fun and fast-paced games as a "chore" is beyond me.
i think its a fair take. the game required a lot of multi tasking, including weak spots, staggering, constantly using special moves for ammo, armor and health, etc.

it was overwhelming to the point that it wasnt fun anymore, and the desire to improve your skill with the game wasnt there anymore for some players. on the flip side, if you loved the gameplay and the multitasking, you had no problem developing those skills.

its more nuanced than "well you just sucks at games"

i think its a fair take. the game required a lot of multi tasking, including weak spots, staggering, constantly using special moves for ammo, armor and health, etc.

it was overwhelming to the point that it wasnt fun anymore, and the desire to improve your skill with the game wasnt there anymore for some players. on the flip side, if you loved the gameplay and the multitasking, you had no problem developing those skills.

its more nuanced than "well you just sucks at games"
Can't say that I agree but yeah, I guess a lot of people got turned down by how much the game was asking from them.

I personally loved it, wish more games were this challenging.

At least we still have the original and it's million mods and wads, so there's still lots of DOOM for everyone. :)

OZ9000

Banned
I've completed Doom Eternal 3 times and it's a damn good game but it also has it's flaws.

Too much ammo management B.S.

It was refreshing not to constantly need to spam the goddamn chainsaw in Doom 2016. But my biggest issue is the fact ammo can only be replenished with chainsaw usage, and the chainsaw gas has to be refilled to replenish ammo.

Retarded fucking design. Just make the goddamn chainsaw ammo regenerate after sometime and it'll improve the rock paper scissors approach they took with Doom Eternal to a much more enjoyable feel.

Lastly the graphics look gastly. Doom 2016 is a much better looking game. The presentation and interface >>>> Doom Eternal.

If you want to force people to have the same opinion on you then there's plenty of reddit subs and a purple forum for you.
Kinda ironic coming from someone who got triggered at his opinion being challenged, isn't it. If you've got something to argue back with, I'm here for it. If you don't, the purple forum will be very accepting of your write-up on my toxic masculinity.
I forgot that demons shit out all those neon lights when they die in Eternal. No wonder the ADHD riddled young'ins love it.
There's a slider in the game that allows you to make these ammo drops as brown as they were in 2016, if that's something you find problematic. Same goes for UI and enemy highlights.
But there's a gameplay reason for things to be the way they are by default. I know right, gameplay? In my videogames? Pfft.
I played Quake for the first time last year and it is absolutely one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever.
Which part? The slimes? The vores? The bosses? Episodes getting worse as the game progresses?
Pretty much any decent boomer shooter plays better as it learned on Quake's mistakes.
It doesn't make Quake a bad game. It's still a great game. But "wow, this is really cool for a 1996 game" is not how GOATs are determined.

Wildebeest

F.E.A.R. Good enemy scripting. Lots of action. No dumb paired enemy animations. Minimal jumping puzzles. Great weapons. There is a reason why it is so loved.

YuLY

Lol. Its not even the best Doom game, that would be the 2016 one.

Dark Souls FPS and space techno babble exaggerated story. Nah.

SpiceRacz

Which part? The slimes? The vores? The bosses? Episodes getting worse as the game progresses?
Pretty much any decent boomer shooter plays better as it learned on Quake's mistakes.
It doesn't make Quake a bad game. It's still a great game. But "wow, this is really cool for a 1996 game" is not how GOATs are determined.

Quake is great by any standards. It's even more apparent when you go back and replay other FPS games around the same time. In the past year I've played Half Life 2, Quake, Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Unreal, Star Wars Dark Forces, Blood, Time Splitters 2, Perfect Dark, and others. Some of these I was playing for the first time and some I've played before. I can tell you that, to me, Quake stood out above the rest of them.

I challenge you to actually go through the very best FPS games of the 90s and list 5 that are better than Quake (You can't). That alone puts it in the conversation of the very best of all time.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Played through the first level of Eternal tonight. All I can say in response to OP's title comment is "hell no". It's not even better than the the first game; the first game is a lot better.

So far from what I've seen the level design in Eternal is extremely linear, and I'm already getting annoyed by the lack of ammo.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I've completed Doom Eternal 3 times and it's a damn good game but it also has it's flaws.

Too much ammo management B.S.

It was refreshing not to constantly need to spam the goddamn chainsaw in Doom 2016. But my biggest issue is the fact ammo can only be replenished with chainsaw usage, and the chainsaw gas has to be refilled to replenish ammo.

Retarded fucking design. Just make the goddamn chainsaw ammo regenerate after sometime and it'll improve the rock paper scissors approach they took with Doom Eternal to a much more enjoyable feel.

Lastly the graphics look gastly. Doom 2016 is a much better looking game. The presentation and interface >>>> Doom Eternal.
The chainsaw in Eternal replenishes on a 20 second cooldown allowing you to use it on one or the enemies that only take 1 fuel canister. If you want ro use it to kill higher-tier demons, you will need to find and use more fuel. Some take 1, some take 3.

In Eternal it's a required part of the gameplay. In 2016 it doesn't replenish and requires fuel for every kill, with enemies requiring between 1 and 5 fuel canisters depending on their tier. If you have 5 you can kill barons of hell which you can't kill with the chainsaw in Eternal. I rarely used the chainsaw in 2016 though as their are runes that grant ammo from regular kills. Eternal has Sentinel Crystal's that let you increase your ammo capacity, but the chainsaw is a core machanic for generating ammo.

Neither system is perfect, but the requirement to play a specific way in Eternal to generate ammo and armour is frustrating. I would rather there was just ammo littering the maps like in the previous games, but it is what it is.

Apocryphon

Also.. lot of people throwing Titanfall 2 into the ring as expected, but somebody's going to need to tell me why...

It has a forgettable plot, dull characters outside of BT, horrific enemy AI, and the titan gameplay is boring. The game has a great set of weapons, some cool level design, a handful of interesting mechanics that you only ever use once or twice, and a great multiplayer mode. It's a fine game, but how is it possibly worthy of being included in a best ever list?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Played through the first level of Eternal tonight. All I can say in response to OP's title comment is "hell no". It's not even better than the the first game; the first game is a lot better.

So far from what I've seen the level design in Eternal is extremely linear, and I'm already getting annoyed by the lack of ammo.
Playing through the first level is not an accurate assessment of Eternal. Beat it and get back to me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just mad at the this game flaws... currently playing... this games must be one of the most annoying games I've played in a long time and feels very unfair and not due to difficulty tbh. Why... WHY can't you just use the chainsaw with any demon? Or at least WHY isn't there one thing that tells you "this demon can't be kill with it"? This is something totally inconsistent and with literally no sign... Also WHY the game puts slowing fucking purple floor that doesn't let you jump? WHY? It's just desperating and frustrating, breaks the pacing, breaks the flow, makes me thing the devs didn't want me to enjoy it... WHY if I die in the lava I'll get revived right in the same lava that killed me wasting me 6 lives? Shit should have passed untested ffs.

This game has so many things just so much more annoying than 2016 it's amazing how it can pass as "best" of anything. Not a bad game, but far from being one of the best at anything. Not even combat, because the constant lack of ammo and purple floor kills the flow instantly... Like do they really wanted the player to play fast paced? Then don't kill the fucking flow ffs...

Edit: Also WHY so many long audios? Can't that woman just stfu? I hate loosing on plot details but it's making me just want to skip them totally

Edit2: Also WHY the F do the combats last so fucking much? They overstay their welcome sometimes way too much, to the point I'm already tired and frustrated and demons just keep spamming... A friend of mine was watching me play on Discord and he said something like: "My god how many more?"... Literally one time I was thinking I'd probably had to disable something because it seemed liked infinite spamming until I do something else or so... Just exhausting...

Last edited:

darrylgorn

quake-logo.jpg

yup-dan-forester.gif

Quake HD and Quake 1.5 mods are 👌

Last edited:

Sygma

the doom slayer is so overpowered in Eternal ill never get the "but mah ammo" complaints tbh, especially when at most you need one or two refills per arena if you know what you're doing. This isn't the case at the last levels because of all the specials you get but you can still combo so much stuff while using yeet hook / bunny hoping and basically going ape shit in between

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I read the title as "Eternal Darkness is the best shooter ever" and I was like hell yeah.

My brain is so rotten that it remembers Eternal Darkness as a shooter.

Top Bottom