• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM Enigma responds to outraged Capcom fans | Fans began to review bomb Capcom games on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
Very professional response from the Enigma devs, the company that Capcom is using for the DRM they are patching into their old games:

Curious, what action do you need from us? And why do you blame us that someone use our software? Someone use, we do not push to use it.
What is our guilt you think?
And why are you so sure that all that you reported belongs to our software?
Maybe you are so angered because you can't use the cheats anymore?

The Review Bombing from Angered Capcom fans have started. Revelations has noow mostly recent negative reviews on Steam.

ffJfYH5.png

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The real solution is not to screw up with paying consumers, by adding DRM to a decade old game.

Yeah, but as they point out, it was Capcom's choice to patch in DRM, and they aren't the only company offering that sort of product/service so even if they hadn't supplied it, they'd have gotten it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But it was Enigma decision to make DRM.
They could make any sort of software, and they decided to make the one type that screws with consumers.
Enigma is making a virus, that only hurst paying consumers.

They offer a security product to publishers who desire to have their product locked down that way.

Its basic supply and demand.

Don't get it ass-backwards, if there wasn't a perceived need they wouldn't be in business. So if you want to apportion blame, look to why that is.

Comandr

I mean, I love capcom. Capcom is probably my favorite developer. But yeah, I hope the message comes across loud and clear. If I’m going to mod a game and tailor it to the way I want to play it and then go online and ruin it for someone else with crazy damage or god mode or whatever - yeah ban me. That’s fair. But obfuscating the exe so people can’t even play their way OFFLINE is bullshit.

They offer a security product to publishers who desire to have their product locked down that way.

Don't get it ass-backwards, if there wasn't a perceived need they wouldn't be in business. So if you want to apportion blame, look to why that is.
The perceived need is also a detriment to consumers. Consumers are allowed to be angry at companies that make products that make consumer's life worse. They choose to pick the software path that makes them hated, that is on them.

Guilty_AI

Yeah, but as they point out, it was Capcom's choice to patch in DRM, and they aren't the only company offering that sort of product/service so even if they hadn't supplied it, they'd have gotten it elsewhere.
while i agree with you on that front, their last statement is quite unprofessional.
Maybe you are so angered because you can't use the cheats anymore?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The perceived need is also a detriment to consumers. Consumers are allowed to be angry at companies that make products that make consumer's life worse. They choose to pick the software path that makes them hated, that is on them.

Maybe so, but from the perspective of a B2B supplier, its not on them to be concerned with that. Consider that a "win" for them is efficacy at preventing or delaying tampering, even if that is perceived as a negative by the consumer. Because ultimately its on the publisher of the product to which the DRM is applied to weigh-up the pro's and con's of its implementation.

For instance, from an ethical standpoint I'd argue best practice is to publish both secured and unsecured versions giving end-users the choice. A decision that the publisher is the only party capable of making.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Fuck this shit. I was planning on buying Dragons Dogma 2 but will just play something else now. And that response from the dev is stupid and not professional.
I mean, when he played the game, it didnt have anti mods DRM. Now for a new customer that maybe reads reviews before purchasing, it will have the DRM.

Fuck Capcom.
The fact that you need to explain this is just amazing to me. Like Punished Miku Punished Miku you couldn't connect A and B to understand this? Really?

winjer

Gold Member

But there is no need for DRM. That is the biggest lie in the whole industry.
It has been proved that piracy is irrelevant. An EU study even proved it can help sales, especially at a time when games don't have demos.
And the worst part is that it only hurts paying consumers. Pirates still get their games, as most games get cracked soon after launch.
In the case of this game, it's not even to curb piracy it's only to hurt paying consumers that want to use mods.
Enigma is not making good software to improve the lives of consumers. They are making what is essentially a virus, that harms paying consumers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But there is no need for DRM. That is the biggest lie in the whole industry.

So why do companies still employ, and more to the point pay for it?

Serious question. Do you think you have more resources and better analytics to judge than them?

It has been proved that piracy is irrelevant. An EU study even proved it can help sales, especially at a time when games don't have demos.

I'd be very wary of arguing in absolutes when cases can vary quite dramatically. There is historical precedent for rampant piracy hurting publishers and by extension platforms.
Something does not need to be universally true, to be of real concern.

And the worst part is that it only hurts paying consumers. Pirates still get their games, as most games get cracked soon after launch.

The purpose of DRM isn't absolute prevention in most cases, its a deterrent and delaying tactic.

In the case of this game, it's not even to curb piracy it's only to hurt paying consumers that want to use mods.

Which isn't the entirety of the consumer-base. As you noted previously, some pirates are just going to pirate. Similarly using mods isn't an interest shared by all buyers, some might be more concerned with the potential for malware than the advantages of installing a mod,

Enigma is not making good software to improve the lives of consumers. They are making what is essentially a virus, that harms paying consumers.

I don't know enough about their product to judge whether it constitutes a virus or not, but either way its on Capcom or anyone else who employs such a scheme to do their due-diligence and to calculate the risk of reputational damage.

My theme here is not defending the use of such anti-temper schemes, just suggesting that people need to place the blame on the party paying for such technologies not those responding to the demand for it. Because like it or not, securing software from unauthorized modification has to have a place in a world where online/data security should be of real concern to us all.

This is why bitching at the suppliers of such security applications is a total non-starter. The better they do, the more effective their DRM, the more people are going to complain about it because these goals/desires are completely at odds with each other.

They cannot "be nice" to modders because they are being paid to make it as difficult for them as possible!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why does every DRM company have shady randoms who can't even really write in the language they choose to communicate in all that well do their PR/socials/whatever? And apparently that somehow works well enough for publishers to fall for their promises and snake oil and buy their shit, lol?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
So why do companies still employ, and more to the point pay for it?

Serious question. Do you think you have more resources and better analytics to judge than them?

Yes, we have studies by independent entities that show that piracy is irrelevant.
And we also have companies that just don't put DRM on their games. CDPR and GoG are the best example.

Why do companies put DRM. Because of control of paying consumers. Because they fall for the sales pitch of companies like Denuvo and Enigma.
Because they don't care one bit about paying consumers.

I'd be very wary of arguing in absolutes when cases can vary quite dramatically. There is historical precedent for rampant piracy hurting publishers and by extension platforms.
Something does not need to be universally true, to be of real concern.

Like Gabe Newell said:

“One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It’s a service issue,”

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

The reality is that DRM is not a solution for piracy. The solution is a better service.
Another good example is Netflix. After so many decades with the film industry trying to curb piracy with draconian was an DRM, the thing that actually slowed down piracy was a service that makes access to content easy.

The purpose of DRM isn't absolute prevention in most cases, its a deterrent and delaying tactic.

It prevents nothing. Many times we have seen games getting pirated days after launch. Sometimes, even before the official launch.
The only people getting hurt by DRM are paying consumers, that get lower performance, more stutters, have to deal with online activations, limits to activations, system instability, etc.

Which isn't the entirety of the consumer-base. As you noted previously, some pirates are just going to pirate. Similarly using mods isn't an interest shared by all buyers, some might be more concerned with the potential for malware than the advantages of installing a mod,

Exactly, some people will always pirate and there is nothing we can do about it. And DRM does little to nothing against it.
So why harm the consumers that pay for the product? This is just petty mismanagement.

I don't know enough about their product to judge whether it constitutes a virus or not, but either way its on Capcom or anyone else who employs such a scheme to do their due-diligence and to calculate the risk of reputational damage.

My theme here is not defending the use of such anti-temper schemes, just suggesting that people need to place the blame on the party paying for such technologies not those responding to the demand for it. Because like it or not, securing software from unauthorized modification has to have a place in a world where online/data security should be of real concern to us all.

This is why bitching at the suppliers of such security applications is a total non-starter. The better they do, the more effective their DRM, the more people are going to complain about it because these goals/desires are completely at odds with each other.

They cannot "be nice" to modders because they are being paid to make it as difficult for them as possible!

It acts like a virus. It's unwanted software. It reduces the functionality of the product. It reduces performance.
Just because it's sanctioned by some game companies, does not mean it's not malicious software that harms consumers.

00_Zer0

Very professional response from the Enigma devs, the company that Capcom is using for the DRM they are patching into their old games:

The Review Bombing from Angered Capcom fans have started. Revelations has noow mostly recent negative reviews on Steam.

ffJfYH5.png
Serves Capcom right. They need to get a lot of heat for this. If you want to sell games in the PC gaming community you don't do shit like retroactively adding DRM to old games, let alone new ones. Most Capcom games are single player story driven and to add DRM to to prevent modding these games is ridiculous. Modding games, on PC especially, is the norm nowadays. It adds value to old games, and also allows the community to come in with patches to offer QOL features that developers should have had in the game in the first place.

Ozriel

M$FT
Good on the Enigma folks for standing up for themselves. Not really their issue that someone purchased their software and put it on old games.

Imagine going to a gate maker and telling them they’ve angered a lot of people because someone on the street bought gates from them and put them up.

Their protection is orders of magnitude cheaper than the likes of Denuvo, so it looks like they’re an inferior solution that someone as big as Capcom should probably not be using.

Blame Capcom for putting DRM in old software that’s making at best a trickle of revenue.

Looks like they’re having really mixed luck with cracking the latest Denuvo.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why does every DRM company have shady randoms who can't even really write in the language they choose to communicate in all that well do their PR/socials/whatever? And apparently that somehow works well enough for publishers to fall for their promises and snake oil and buy their shit, lol?
Because they tend to hire the randoms in countries where they can pay the least amount of money. Being able to effectively do the job is secondary.

00_Zer0

PC master race always complaining about something or another.
GTFO with that shit. PC gaming includes the experience of being allowed to mod games to breathe new life into old games, community patches that fix broken games, or adding QOL settings that PC gamers expect.

It has been this way since sometime in the 90's or maybe even before, where PC gamers were used to being allowed to do this stuff without issue all the time. When Valve started developing games they used a modified version ID''s Quake engine. Without mods Valve or Steam wouldn't be here today. 30 years of precedent of allowing mods and you got companies like Capcom shitting the bed over this. Your PC Master race troll won't work here.

winjer

Gold Member
Looks like they’re having really mixed luck with cracking the latest Denuvo.

I don't follow the cracking scene. So I don't know the latest developments.
It happens once in a while that some DRM does manage to avoid cracking a bit longer.
But what happens all the time, is that paying consumers are always harmed by DRM.

Complistic

I mean yeah, Capcom needs to be fine with this if they don't remove it. It's not going to go away. This is a legitimate complaint.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Crapcom back in full force with this shoddy behavior. I fear for the Capcom games I own on steam now. Which one will be next to fall to this shitty drm?

Top Bottom