• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM Enigma responds to outraged Capcom fans | Fans began to review bomb Capcom games on Steam

Pejo

Tbh, PC gamers are entitled.

Devs don't HAVE to allow you to use mods or futz with a ".ini" file to be able to tinker with engine settings. PC gamers have been spoiled this way for a long time.

You're not entitled to any of this, though. If a publisher like Capcom feels it wants to protect its product from piracy, but by doing so it locks you out of using their software in a non-clandestine, but still unintended way, then they have the right to do that.

You don't have any rights to mod games or rip out game assets to use for CGI hentai. Sorry folks.
Why are you like this? What benefit does making such a post give to you?

Last edited:
Watched a video on Japan corporate recently and thought this case might be a good example of what that video described - Japanese corporate, while involved in some cutting edge technologies, is traditional, old school, and kind of "slow". It's why it took them a while to finally churn out current gen games at a consistent pace, they really struggled in the 360/PS3 era.

Some boomer Capcom exec probably got duped by these Enigma guys and general popular thought surrounding piracy. Blame Capcom

fart town usa

Gold Member
The epitome of "fuck you, got mine". Selfish to the core and unsurprisingly has usa in the user name.
This isn't a politics board.

I mean I was going to mod the shit out of DD2 but I guess if I want to do that I'll just have to pirate it.
Pathetic.

Why are there always people (e.g. fart town usa fart town usa ) that don't care unless they're negatively affected themselves. Is it an inability to see things from other perspectives? A lack of empathy? I think so. If all of a sudden you couldn't play any of your console games without always being online and while playing the mandatory DRM cut your fps in half, you'd start to care. You think you'd have the same opinion if your $500 ps5 was operating games at 20fps because of an unecessary DRM? Give me a break.
Final Fight on PS3 requires an online connection to play. That's pretty lame but the Triple is still baller in 2024 and I can still the play the game. When the server is shutdown and a thread is written, I'll be sure to voice my discontent in it.

He's a good fart town usa, yes he is! Yes he is!
Capcom has given me my favorite franchises throughout my 39 years on the this planet. You think I'm gonna side with people relentlessly modding games that are already solid out the gate? No, I'm not.

Capdad warned your asses back in October. Well Capdad's home now and the kids aren't happy.

DIeGu15.jpg

I now bow out of the thread. I've said my piece.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Devs don't HAVE to allow you to use mods or futz with a ".ini" file to be able to tinker with engine settings. PC gamers have been spoiled this way for a long time.

You're not entitled to any of this, though. If a publisher like Capcom feels it wants to protect its product from piracy, but by doing so it locks you out of using their software in a non-clandestine, but still unintended way, then they have the right to do that.

You don't have any rights to mod games or rip out game assets to use for CGI hentai. Sorry folks.
Ah yes, because Resident Evil Revelations (10+ year old game) and Megaman Zero/ZX collection were such prime targets for piracy. Capcom has clearly had a long standing piracy problem on PC, just look at how badly their games sell on there!
k7NvUWh.png

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

But we are entitled to have a Malware free experience to the games we have purchased and having a working as advertised game heck not only is this breaking previously "Steam Deck Verified" titles on the Steam Deck they are also breaking Valve TOS by not advertising these games have DRM on their store page.

Last edited:
I don't consider it review bombing when it's justified, they just made a really old steam deck verified title no longer run on steam deck. Anybody who paid for it who can no longer play it should be able to leave a negative review without steam hiding it as "review bombing"

ReyBrujo

Very professional response from the Enigma devs, the company that Capcom is using for the DRM they are patching into their old games:

The Review Bombing from Angered Capcom fans have started. Revelations has noow mostly recent negative reviews on Steam.

ffJfYH5.png
Yes, it was unprofessional because probably the one managing that forum might probably not be the sharpest pencil in the box which is why he's stuck there. However the message left by the user was a classic passive-aggressive behaviour. "You've angered a lot of people" makes no sense as they did nothing wrong just as the threat that YouTubers might pick up the story.

bender

What time is it?
Yes, it was unprofessional because probably the one managing that forum might probably not be the sharpest pencil in the box which is why he's stuck there. However the message left by the user was a classic passive-aggressive behaviour. "You've angered a lot of people" makes no sense as they did nothing wrong just as the threat that YouTubers might pick up the story.

It reads more like English isn't their first language.

they gotta have the data to push these kind of things right?. Are they loosing enough money to implement DRM or what? either way, some people dont want to deal with this bullshit...what are they gonna do, go to consoles?. And i will argue that people that care about it in the first are PC weridos that like to tinker with the games and stuff like that.

Jayjayhd34

And I thought my spelling and grammar was bad.....

Why the hell are capcom associating with russia

Last edited:

hinch7

Irony being pirates (yet again) get a superior experience with mods while actual customers get done over.

Think I'm done with Capcom. Voting with my wallet and keeping it closed. You can keep your games and shitty DRM's.

Last edited:
I imagine that if a Capcom employee came into your house right now with a sharp nail and scratched all your discs, you'd be pretty pissed off. Hey, they might be broken now but you don't give a shit right? Capcom can do as they please with YOUR purchases that you paid for.

Customers aren't renting these games, they bought them with their hard earned money. If they want to modify some content on a game they own, how in any way shape or form is that an issue for Capcom? And this breaks game compatibility with Steam Deck? If true, that's disgusting. It's an example of retarded execs making retarded decisions. Every company is guilty of this at some point in time. It seems to be Capcom's turn right now.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I imagine that if a Capcom employee came into your house right now with a sharp nail and scratched all your discs, you'd be pretty pissed off. Hey, they might be broken now but you don't give a shit right? Capcom can do as they please with YOUR purchases that you paid for.

Customers aren't renting these games, they bought them with their hard earned money. If they want to modify some content on a game they own, how in any way shape or form is that an issue for Capcom? And old games which is even more crazy. It's an example of retarded execs making retarded decisions. Every company is guilty of this at some point in time. It seems to be Capcom's turn right now.

Actually u can thank gaben for making your purchases not purchases but rentals.

The fact software can be altered this badly is a clear problem valve should fix, and the shitty 3rd party clients every publisher is abusing to up there own platform numbers also needs to be cut down.

Steam users should blame valve for allowing this shit. And Valve should offer full refunds on your games for now to punish capcom for even trying this shit.

Last edited:

Senua

You should be fucking embarrassed lmao

Kumomeme

other japanese company who has plan to implement same DRM gonna be like:

fade away homer simpson GIF

joking aside, hopefully other company out there wont take lightly over the reception that Capcom currently receiving

Soodanim

Gold Member
Actually u can thank gaben for making your purchases not purchases but rentals.

The fact software can be altered this badly is a clear problem valve should fix, and the shitty 3rd party clients every publisher is abusing to up there own platform numbers also needs to be cut down.

Steam users should blame valve for allowing this shit. And Valve should offer full refunds on your games for now to punish capcom for even trying this shit.
It would be interesting to see how Valve stepping in would play out. To take any amount of control of a product away from the publisher would be a delicate situation and could easily escalate. Given how high Capcom's PC sales are these days I doubt they would go so far as to pull games from the service, but it would open up a can of worms. If Valve did decide to intervene, it would be a delicate balance to maintain. My guess is that they might have a word behind the scenes, but they will largely stay hands off.

Just read that gem on Steam, this shit is getting better by the minute:

You could however mention they (enigma protector) are running PHP 5.6.40 on a non proper secure server with lots of vulnerabilities in main site as well as forum as they cant be running on the current version as they are lower than PHP 7.1 So at most its running PHPBB 3.2 forum software.

To using that as security based company is unprofessional saying it politely.
Basically their website (which, if you took a look at it, looks like a scam ad you could see on some "unsavory" sites) runs on software that's more than 3 years late on security updates.

Larxia

Pathetic.
Why is that pathetic? Do you have another option for him to play Dragon's Dogma 2 with mods? If not then what he said is the only option and there's nothing pathetic about it. It would be better if this wasn't needed, sure, but if that's the case and there's no other option... I don't really see what is pathetic about that.

Last edited:
Enigma are right though. Don't be angry at Enigma be angry at the publishers that choose to use it. The blame is entirely on the publishers.
Capcom meeting:

"Sweet Baby Inc. told us in an inclusivity seminar we need to implement DRM to all our games because reasons."
"OK let's buy Denuvo."
"Denuvo is expensive, it'll hurt our profits"
"Go find some anonymous Russian in a basement who does it cheaper"
Guess who got a raise that month. Genius.

Pejo

My guess is that they might have a word behind the scenes, but they will largely stay hands off.
This is how I'd imagine they'd deal with it too, yea. Then again, Valve didn't do shit for months when devs were using Steam forums to troubleshoot/discuss games that got pulled from Steam for EGS exclusivity. They probably won't care unless it makes a bigger stink.

I think it'd be very pro-consumer of them to offer unmodified .exe historical downloads for when companies add post-purchase DRM, but publishers would probably shit and piss all over themselves if Valve did that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

That's disinformation. What's actually happening is that 34 different virus scanners (out of a total of 69) misidentify the Enigma DRM as malware/unsafe/etc. 35 other virus scanners have no problem with it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Oof. Not one single person gains anything from this scenario. What a cluster fuck on Capcom's part.
The DRM company gets paid to make Capcom's end users unhappy and damage the Capcom brand. The clown that made this decision should be fired because it backfired in a way that should have been obvious.

Roni

Gold Member
Man, Capcom can't stay winning, can it? Just as they start getting comfortable in the public's graces they gotta pull some desperate move like this.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
"""misidentify"""

Yeah, misidentify, since DRM != malware.

I think Capcom made a big mistake adding this DRM to older games, I personally don't want any DRM solutions that only annoy the people who don't pirate and make games run worse, but I don't consider it malware if "all" it does is make it impossible to tamper with the executables. If the DRM does more than that, like collecting data from my PC, installing back doors, etc etc, than it's a completely different matter.

Kenpachii

It would be interesting to see how Valve stepping in would play out. To take any amount of control of a product away from the publisher would be a delicate situation and could easily escalate. Given how high Capcom's PC sales are these days I doubt they would go so far as to pull games from the service, but it would open up a can of worms. If Valve did decide to intervene, it would be a delicate balance to maintain. My guess is that they might have a word behind the scenes, but they will largely stay hands off.

Steam has a monopoly on PC. They could kick capscom straight into its lane if they wanted too. But they don't care because they give more about probably 100m they make from them, then a few modders on PC that complain.

Let's not forget that gaben isn't pc's best friend, they had no problem introducing paid mods a while back until a massive backslash happened and half the modders left for good and steam was getting bad rep everywhere. Only after still releasing it and basically everything becoming a shit show he reverted it.

They also have no problem lying towards you that u "buy a product' while in reality its a rental. For the only reason so u can't resell your digital license which basically the entire market then adopted. I have no clue how this legally is even a thing and the EU should start slamming all the digital gaming platforms for this bullshit.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Capcom is one of my favorite devs of all time but they deserve all the negativity they’re getting. Just a brain dead decision…

MiguelItUp

Man, Capcom has been doing so well again, and it's been so wonderful to see. But seeing this really pushes them backward in so many ways. I hope they actually look into and remove it, rather than doing nothing about it. Clearly this could really impact their successes to a degree.

Ozriel

M$FT
shill alert

Customers aren't renting these games, they bought them with their hard earned money. If they want to modify some content on a game they own, how in any way shape or form is that an issue for Capcom? And this breaks game compatibility with Steam Deck? If true, that's disgusting. It's an example of retarded execs making retarded decisions. Every company is guilty of this at some point in time. It seems to be Capcom's turn right now.

You’d be angry with that Capcom employee in that case, wouldn’t you? Devaluing or ruining your item post-purchase. And you’d be justified.

Half the thread seems to think it makes sense in that scenario to head over to the nail maker and tell them they’ve “angered a lot of people” 🤣

The Enigma employee should have been more diplomatic and perhaps more measured in their reply, but it’s not entirely unprovoked.

Last edited:

Drew1440

In hindsight, this is one of the main issues with Steam and digital platforms being able to add or remove content/DRM to games even after release.

Top Bottom