• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM Enigma responds to outraged Capcom fans | Fans began to review bomb Capcom games on Steam

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The perceived need is also a detriment to consumers. Consumers are allowed to be angry at companies that make products that make consumer's life worse. They choose to pick the software path that makes them hated, that is on them.
Exactly. Not all products are good ideas, some are cunty moves by cunty companies that make things worse for consumers. Customers have every right to complain and this cunty company should realize that their product is not liked by the end user and wonder why they decided to create and market something that makes people unhappy rather than pointing fingers at those people and saying its Capcom's fault.

Draugoth

Gold Member
J0Lzo5r.png

Last edited:

Fredrik

The reality is that DRM is not a solution for piracy. The solution is a better service.
Another good example is Netflix. After so many decades with the film industry trying to curb piracy with draconian was an DRM, the thing that actually slowed down piracy was a service that makes access to content easy.
Yeah same things with Spotify, MP3 piracy must be a rare thing now.

Phase

Fuck this shit. I was planning on buying Dragons Dogma 2 but will just play something else now. And that response from the dev is stupid and not professional.

The fact that you need to explain this is just amazing to me. Like @Punished Miku you couldn't connect A and B to understand this? Really?
I mean I was going to mod the shit out of DD2 but I guess if I want to do that I'll just have to pirate it.

Phase

Why are there always people (e.g. fart town usa fart town usa ) that don't care unless they're negatively affected themselves. Is it an inability to see things from other perspectives? A lack of empathy? I think so. If all of a sudden you couldn't play any of your console games without always being online and while playing the mandatory DRM cut your fps in half, you'd start to care. You think you'd have the same opinion if your $500 ps5 was operating games at 20fps because of an unecessary DRM? Give me a break.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I mean I was going to mod the shit out of DD2 but I guess if I want to do that I'll just have to pirate it.
I just saw it has Denuvo so it probably won't be cracked.

image.png

I pirated some games when I was younger, but now that I can afford them, I buy what interests me. If a game is from a crappy company or has Denuvo in it, I just don't play it or wait for that crappy DRM to be removed.
I admit that I'm weak and for certain releases that have Denuvo I make an exception and I buy it ^^

Still this mean no Reshade with some SSRTGI, no FOV mod (if needed), nothing to upscale some textures etc... This alone is a bummer honestly.

Kings Field

Welp, time to uninstall any Capcom game off my deck.

Was going to play through World and Rise on the deck but I’m gonna play through on PS5 or Series X.

Senua

Why are there always people (e.g. fart town usa fart town usa ) that don't care unless they're negatively affected themselves. Is it an inability to see things from other perspectives? A lack of empathy? I think so. If all of a sudden you couldn't play any of your console games without always being online and while playing the mandatory DRM cut your fps in half, you'd start to care. You think you'd have the same opinion if your $500 ps5 was operating games at 20fps because of an unecessary DRM? Give me a break.
Yep, just self centered

Mowcno

Enigma are right though. Don't be angry at Enigma be angry at the publishers that choose to use it. The blame is entirely on the publishers.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Enigma are right though. Don't be angry at Enigma be angry at the publishers that choose to use it. The blame is entirely on the publishers.
"I just make the DRM that flags up 34 warnings in a virus scanner, it's not my fault if people use my malware".

Just because Capcom have taken a scummy turn, it doesn't mean Enigma DRM isn't scummy software made by a scummy dev.

Mowcno

"I just make the DRM that flags up 34 warnings in a virus scanner, it's not my fault if people use my malware".

Just because Capcom have taken a scummy turn, it doesn't mean Enigma DRM isn't scummy software made by a scummy dev.
Who do you want to blame? The random russian dev that made the trashy DRM? Or the billion dollar publisher that chooses to use it.

It's be like a school putting a child in charge of security and then blaming the child when something goes wrong when the blame should instead be all on the school. There will always be shit products and services, a massive publisher like capcom should know better than to use one.

Good lord, who in their right mind greenlit this shit?

Capcom is a huge company, with enormous resources and a precious image to protect, and then they go ahead and do something insane like this?

Did some high-up manager over there lose their shit after that Street Fighter tournament fuck up and just screamed at IT to 'fix it, now', and then some random intern got assigned this task, freaked out, ran to the internet and just bought the first thing that came up on Google search?

What the hell...

If you made something wouldn’t you want to protect it?

Capcom is one of the best in the industry, and I generally don’t mod any of my games.

If this prevents people from cheating then so be it.

You're one of those people who 'follows the news' by reading headlines, but not the actual article, aren't you?

StereoVsn

If you made something wouldn’t you want to protect it?

Capcom is one of the best in the industry, and I generally don’t mod any of my games.

If this prevents people from cheating then so be it.
They are rolling this to SP games including old ones. What cheating are you worried about here? This isn’t MP anti-cheat.

The only thing this does is penalize their customers. Pirates won’t have this issue. Not even mentioning sketchy as shit vendor.

They are rolling this to SP games including old ones. What cheating are you worried about here? This isn’t MP anti-cheat.

The only thing this does is penalize their customers. Pirates won’t have this issue. Not even mentioning sketchy as shit vendor.

I played Dead Rising 2 last year. It has an FOV of 35 out of the box. Completely unplayable by modern standards.

PC gamers don't cry we fix the shoddy work of incompetent developers.

Kenpachii

Maybe so, but from the perspective of a B2B supplier, its not on them to be concerned with that. Consider that a "win" for them is efficacy at preventing or delaying tampering, even if that is perceived as a negative by the consumer. Because ultimately its on the publisher of the product to which the DRM is applied to weigh-up the pro's and con's of its implementation.

For instance, from an ethical standpoint I'd argue best practice is to publish both secured and unsecured versions giving end-users the choice. A decision that the publisher is the only party capable of making.

Consumers where not informed about this 11 years ago or whatever time that the game would have DRM implemented into there game that prevents modding something that could have been a reason for the consumer to buy the game to start with.

What gamers should do is start spamming valve for refunds of all there capcom games so valve starts to get the hint that shit like this isn't welcome.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Why would enigma or capcom care someone is using cheats on a megaman game or dead rising or some shit? Lmao.

This isn’t monster hunter , and they don’t have a competitive shooter, so, huh? I guess for SF6 it matters for competitive integrity , but any other game with anti cheat is absurd at the cost of 15 fps and losing deck functionality.

Last edited:

Capcom is a huge company, with enormous resources and a precious image to protect, and then they go ahead and do something insane like this?

Did some high-up manager over there lose their shit after that Street Fighter tournament fuck up and just screamed at IT to 'fix it, now', and then some random intern got assigned this task, freaked out, ran to the internet and just bought the first thing that came up on Google search?

What the hell...

You're one of those people who 'follows the news' by reading headlines, but not the actual article, aren't you?
No, but this is just a gaming forum, video games aren’t that important in the grand scheme of things. I just posted my initial off the cuff reaction. I figured it would get a rise out of people tho, so there’s that. Someone’s got to be devils advocate 😈

Edit.

Although not exactly a single player game, mods and overlays completely ruined the speed running aspect of Monster Hunter Rise.
When people mod their file with god charms and have overlays that show exact monster health values and stun levels, there’s no way a console player can compete.

For older strictly single player games, it does seems unnecessary. But I do want more regulation in MP games like Street Fighter. Cheaters should be banned.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What the hell...
Probably that, but they didn't want to pay Denuvo fees which tend to be expensive. So they searched for some cheap alternative.

This whole thing screams of incompetency.

Last edited:
Tbh, PC gamers are entitled.

Devs don't HAVE to allow you to use mods or futz with a ".ini" file to be able to tinker with engine settings. PC gamers have been spoiled this way for a long time.

You're not entitled to any of this, though. If a publisher like Capcom feels it wants to protect its product from piracy, but by doing so it locks you out of using their software in a non-clandestine, but still unintended way, then they have the right to do that.

You don't have any rights to mod games or rip out game assets to use for CGI hentai. Sorry folks.

Kadve

if Capcom really fucked up this badly (basically patching in malware because of their irrational hatred of mods), does that open them up to a lawsuit?
Sure. Ubisoft got hit a 5 million lawsuit over not as scummy but sure as hell malicious Starforce back in the day.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Tbh, PC gamers are entitled.

Devs don't HAVE to allow you to use mods or futz with a ".ini" file to be able to tinker with engine settings. PC gamers have been spoiled this way for a long time.

You're not entitled to any of this, though. If a publisher like Capcom feels it wants to protect its product from piracy, but by doing so it locks you out of using their software in a non-clandestine, but still unintended way, then they have the right to do that.

You don't have any rights to mod games or rip out game assets to use for CGI hentai. Sorry folks.
They are literally patching in malware here

Last edited:
Top Bottom