• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM Enigma responds to outraged Capcom fans | Fans began to review bomb Capcom games on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
That was fast.

Nope

17050704076134658602419824954325.png

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't follow the cracking scene. So I don't know the latest developments.
It happens once in a while that some DRM does manage to avoid cracking a bit longer.
But what happens all the time, is that paying consumers are always harmed by DRM.

Did some quick Reddit reading. Apparently after someone called Empress called it quits not long after cracking Hogwarts, they’ve been unable to crack anything Denuvo ever since.

StereoVsn

Yeah, but as they point out, it was Capcom's choice to patch in DRM, and they aren't the only company offering that sort of product/service so even if they hadn't supplied it, they'd have gotten it elsewhere.
Their particular brand of DRM seems to have significant performance impact. Yea, Capcom chose them (fuck Capcom for this), but this company is providing a substandard product.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Good on the Enigma folks for standing up for themselves. Not really their issue that someone purchased their software and put it on old games.

Imagine going to a gate maker and telling them they’ve angered a lot of people because someone on the street bought gates from them and put them up.

Their protection is orders of magnitude cheaper than the likes of Denuvo, so it looks like they’re an inferior solution that someone as big as Capcom should probably not be using.

Blame Capcom for putting DRM in old software that’s making at best a trickle of revenue.

Looks like they’re having really mixed luck with cracking the latest Denuvo.
shill alert

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Their particular brand of DRM seems to have significant performance impact. Yea, Capcom chose them (fuck Capcom for this), but this company is providing a substandard product.

Cannot speak to that, but, objectively it looks like Capcom chose to use their tech for their products over other vendors offering the same services. Which suggests to me that it'll be in place on their upcoming products too.

Either way, if you want to make a difference you need to apply pressure where it'll have effect.

Having words on the DRM supplier's forum aint doing a thing because, let's be real, if they cared about modders' feelings they wouldn't be in that business! They are going to treat it like a badge of honour!

Elysium44

Banned
Disappointing from Capcom. RE Revelations is one of my favourite games (infinite replayability in Raid mode). While it might not impact me personally, their attitude is very disappointing. I'm one of those people who has bought some of their DLC just to 'support' them and I feel the love isn't quite being reciprocated with their quite obnoxious attitude. Sad.

Elysium44

Banned
Well it seemed to work.

Maybe, maybe not.

The company said once the issue is "resolved", it plans to re-release the update. It did not specify whether Enigma is the culprit for the newly introduced problems players have been facing with Revelations, nor whether Enigma will be added back in a future update.

StereoVsn

Cannot speak to that, but, objectively it looks like Capcom chose to use their tech for their products over other vendors offering the same services. Which suggests to me that it'll be in place on their upcoming products too.

Either way, if you want to make a difference you need to apply pressure where it'll have effect.

Having words on the DRM supplier's forum aint doing a thing because, let's be real, if they cared about modders' feelings they wouldn't be in that business! They are going to treat it like a badge of honour!
No, of course that is pointless and won’t change anyone’s mind to leave comments on DRM software forum.

However, leaving negative reviews on Steam often does help.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Did some quick Reddit reading. Apparently after someone called Empress called it quits not long after cracking Hogwarts, they’ve been unable to crack anything Denuvo ever since.

Could be just a sign that the Cracking scene is dead. Or dying out.
Currently it's so easy to buy games, even if it's in a promotion, that it has become pointless to pirate games and risk getting a virus.
A bit like when Netflix gained traction, movie piracy dropped significantly, as it was simpler and safer to just pay for streaming.

FeralEcho

They offer a security product to publishers who desire to have their product locked down that way.

Its basic supply and demand.

Don't get it ass-backwards, if there wasn't a perceived need they wouldn't be in business. So if you want to apportion blame, look to why that is.
I mean drug dealers also provide products for customers.It doesn't make it any less that they are the scum of the earth even though it's also supply and demand.

Maybe make your security software good enough that it doesn't affect the fps and make the overall experience of a 10 year old game worse if they don't want to be hated on and shat on...you know...just a guess...

Draugoth

Gold Member
Currently it's so easy to buy games, even if it's in a promotion, that it has become pointless to pirate games and risk getting a virus.
A bit like when Netflix gained traction, movie piracy dropped significantly, as it was simpler and safer to just pay for streaming.

Most crack teams quit because breaking Denuvo is notoriously time consuming and they do it for free.

RE4 has been cracked but Separate Ways will never be.

The perceived need is also a detriment to consumers. Consumers are allowed to be angry at companies that make products that make consumer's life worse. They choose to pick the software path that makes them hated, that is on them.
Well that's just how the world works. People steal shit everyone else gets inconvenienced. Look at all the shit going on with the shoplifting at Walmart and target etc. I bet it was pretty detrimental to all those honest shoppers when those companies decided to close those stores because of all the stealing.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Well that's just how the world works. People steal shit everyone else gets inconvenienced. Look at all the shit going on with the shoplifting at Walmart and target etc. I bet it was pretty detrimental to all those honest shoppers when those companies decided to close those stores because of all the stealing.

Setting aside the obvious differences between pirating digital games and losing money from shoplifted physical merchandise, this doesn't actually have anything to do with stealing. Capcom didn't add this Enigma DRM to a nearly ten-year old game because they were losing sales from pirates, they did it to crack down on mods which they view as "cheats" - in a fucking singleplayer game! That's why the community is up in arms.

Fake

Well it seemed to work.

I have always repeat that GAMERS HAVE MORE POWER THAN THEY THINK.

Wallet always hurt. Forget journalism defending review bomb. If wasn't the review bomb to begin with, CAPCOM would never revert this shit.

This lesson are for even some gafers saying that shit not work. Works and works damn well. Don't fall to the game journalism tatics of change the blame.

Message delivery. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Wonder if you'll be singing the same tune when they start doing similar shit with their console catalogue.
Yeah, one day backwards compatibility may run out, so that you won't be able to keep your purchased games. Or no more physical games, only digital, or worse yet streaming only. At any minute the corporations that all these cucks are cheering for will **** you in the ass and retards will be saying yes daddy more.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd happily take the death of all modern video game piracy and losing the cracking scene as a whole, if it meant that companies would ship all their games with 0 DRM and we could forget about this malware fucking up our PCs

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wonder if you'll be singing the same tune when they start doing similar shit with their console catalogue.
To prevent non-existing mods? That's the reason I buy consoles; ease of use.

I look at it this way. Capcom said that internal resources are being utilized to address issues people are having in games that are directly related to mods, that's a waste of resources for Capcom. I appreciate the modding community but I also find Capcom to be infinitely more important, considering they create these games, vs what modders are doing for Capcom titles on PC.

Guilty_AI

To prevent non-existing mods? That's the reason I buy consoles; ease of use.
To control, and you can still put mods on consoles with a few more hoops.

I look at it this way. Capcom said that internal resources are being utilized to address issues people are having in games that are directly related to mods, that's a waste of resources for Capcom. I appreciate the modding community but I also find Capcom to be infinitely more important, considering they create these games, vs what modders are doing for Capcom titles on PC.
That sounds like a bullshit excuse.

Technical support fixed FAQ:
Is your game modded?
Yes.
Reinstall your game with a clean copy before asking support.

Keep cheering for this crap and one day you'll be playing Capcom games on console while being forced to use a Capcom account and being constantly connected to the internet.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
To control, and you can still put mods on consoles with a few more hoops.

That sounds like a bullshit excuse.

Technical support fixed FAQ:
Is your game modded?
Yes.
Reinstall your game with a clean copy before asking support.
It can sound bullshit as much as you want it to be but that's what Capcom said the other week. Reading a FAQ and reaching out and creating a help desk ticket are completely different things. I'm not convinced either that Capcom games run that bad on PC, I find that incredibly hard to believe considering Capcom's level of output and the plethora of platforms they release AAA games on.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
appreciate the modding community but I also find Capcom to be infinitely more important, considering they create these games, vs what modders are doing for Capcom titles on PC.
Sure. The issue is that there's no reason why we can't have both. Capcom titles are some of the most successful especially on PC and a large part of that is due to mods.

Literally everything was going swimmingly until they decided they wanted to fuck this up.

Guilty_AI

It can sound bullshit as much as you want it to be but that's what Capcom said the other week. Reading a FAQ and reaching out and creating a help desk ticket are completely different things. I'm not convinced either that Capcom games run that bad on PC, I find that incredibly hard to believe considering Capcom's level of output and the plethora of platforms they release AAA games on.
They also said modding singleplayer games is cheating apparently.

Either way, enjoy your future of constant internet connection and games with expiration date i guess. Seems you'd be perfectly fine with that.

kiphalfton

Pretty petty response.

Shut up, or put in more effort to a response than that; so as not to look like unprofessional tools.

Besides why are THEY responding, and not Capcom. This reminds me of the Bloober/Konami tweet all over again.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
They also said modding singleplayer games is cheating apparently.

Either way, enjoy your future of constant internet connection and games with expiration date i guess. Seems you'd be perfectly fine with that.
No, I'm perfectly fine with the base game that Capcom releases. If people troubleshooting mods are mucking things up internally at Capcom by diverting resources to address things that Capcom didn't create, then so be it with what Capcom decides to do with DRM.

Guilty_AI

No, I'm perfectly fine with the base game that Capcom releases. If people troubleshooting mods are mucking things up internally at Capcom by diverting resources to address things that Capcom didn't create, then so be it with what Capcom decides to do with DRM.
Seems you still didn't get the part that these DRMs are FUCKING USELESS at stopping mods, or piracy, in the first place.

All they're doing is incovenience paying costumers who just want to play the vanilla game with no complications, literally.

fart town usa

Gold Member
He'd happily lap up anything his favourite corporation shoves at him, because he's a good boy.
I love this. Yea, all corporations are bad because they are corporations. Absolute brain dead reply. You're on a video game enthusiast forum. You support them just as much as me genius.

Guilty_AI

I love this. Yea, all corporations are bad because they are corporations. Absolute brain dead reply. You're on a video game enthusiast forum. You support them just as much as me genius.
No, corporations are bad because they implement DRMs in 10-20 year old games that do nothing but incovenience paying costumers while making pirated versions of said games the superior experience.

Do they want us to pirate their back catalog? Thats the message they seem to be sending here.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Seems you still didn't get the part that these DRMs are FUCKING USELESS at stopping mods, or piracy, in the first place.

All they're doing is incovenience paying costumers who just want to play the vanilla game with no complications, literally.

It got to the point where it was diverting resources. Kids were effing around and Dad came home. That's the dynamic I get from that presentation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No, corporations are bad because they implement DRMs in 10-20 year old games that do nothing but incovenience paying costumers while making pirated versions of said games the superior experience.

Do they want us to pirate their back catalog? Thats the message they seem to be sending here.
Dad came home and the kids got busted. 🤷

#TeamCapgod all day.

Guilty_AI

It got to the point where it was diverting resources. Kids were effing around and Dad came home. That's the dynamic I get from that presentation.

What part of "FUCKING USELESS" you didn't understand? It'll keep diverting resources the same way. That presentation seems completely out of touch with PC market dynamics too.

Oh, and now they'll have to spend even more in protection too, because those softwares aren't free.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
What part of "FUCKING USELESS" you didn't understand? It'll keep diverting resources the same way. That presentation seems completely out of touch with PC market dynamics too.

Oh, and now they'll have to spend even more in protection too, because those softwares aren't free.
Sell your PC and buy a Series S. Problem solved.

Kaleinc

Banned
Remind me to negative review those bitches in a month or two, when negative reviews won't fall into off topic activity

Top Bottom