• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRM Enigma responds to outraged Capcom fans | Fans began to review bomb Capcom games on Steam

raul3d

Yeah, misidentify, since DRM != malware.

I think Capcom made a big mistake adding this DRM to older games, I personally don't want any DRM solutions that only annoy the people who don't pirate and make games run worse, but I don't consider it malware if "all" it does is make it impossible to tamper with the executables. If the DRM does more than that, like collecting data from my PC, installing back doors, etc etc, than it's a completely different matter.
How do you know it is misidentified by some virus scanners and not missed by the others? How do you know that the DRM is restricted to your game and not accessing other processes/files?

DRM with this feature set and malware are very similar and this DRM does not seem to have any history.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yes, it was unprofessional because probably the one managing that forum might probably not be the sharpest pencil in the box which is why he's stuck there. However the message left by the user was a classic passive-aggressive behaviour. "You've angered a lot of people" makes no sense as they did nothing wrong just as the threat that YouTubers might pick up the story.
Que hermosa waifu, boludo

46888.jpg

winjer

Gold Member
We won.
Speaking our minds did work out in the end.

Due to an issue observed with the latest update released, we have reverted the corresponding update. We apologise for the inconvenience caused, and once the issue is resolved, we will re-release the update. Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation.

-CAPCOM

Last edited:

Comandr

ReyBrujo

Wasn’t this due to just a bug? It’s my understanding that regarding this particular update they fully intend to proceed with Enigma. I’d love to be wrong though.
Indeed, otherwise they would have rolled back every single game where they used Enigma.

Que hermosa waifu, boludo

46888.jpg
Matsui Rena, se casó hace una semana (ΦωΦ) Got married last week, been using that avatar for over 10 years, should update it lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
Tbh, PC gamers are entitled.

Devs don't HAVE to allow you to use mods or futz with a ".ini" file to be able to tinker with engine settings. PC gamers have been spoiled this way for a long time.

You're not entitled to any of this, though. If a publisher like Capcom feels it wants to protect its product from piracy, but by doing so it locks you out of using their software in a non-clandestine, but still unintended way, then they have the right to do that.

You don't have any rights to mod games or rip out game assets to use for CGI hentai. Sorry folks.
Sorry but as long as the game is on my pc, I modify in whichever way I bloody want

Publishers dont like it? sucks to be them

Facism

TheMarxThatBindsUs

Imagine being such a fool that you're against people having the freedom to use and modify something they own

Zathalus

Actually doing my own research into this it appears to be mostly fearmongering. The games still work on Steam Deck and the far majority of mods work. Its still not ideal as it does impact some mods (SpecialK) but people are blowing it way out of proportion considering some of these games have had it for months with zero impact on mods or Steam Deck compatibility.

Actually doing my own research into this it appears to be mostly fearmongering. The games still work on Steam Deck and the far majority of mods work. Its still not ideal as it does impact some mods (SpecialK) but people are blowing it way out of proportion considering some of these games have had it for months with zero impact on mods or Steam Deck compatibility.

It's a dangerous precedent. Soon you will only play approved content in the approved way.

I'm out of gaming when that happens.

It's a dangerous precedent. Soon you will only play approved content in the approved way.

I'm out of gaming when that happens.
Look, we all agree that its a dangerous precedent, against of which we need to fight back tooth and nails but currently, based on my own testing as well on my deck oled, theres no performance degradation that can be observed in affected games.

its one thing to report an additional layer of DRM added, its also another to claim performance degradation alongside when the latter hasnt been reliable reported by anyone unlike how some news outlet reported it.

I wanna see concret benchmarks of performance being affected by Enigma, not just some "trust me bro" claims

Last edited:
Until they put in DRM like this.

Then it sucks to be you. Tough titty, fam
In that case Im sure they are not gonna miss my money for future titles, two can play that game afterall so to say.

Currently I have checked some of the Enigma protected titles and no performance drops to be seen anywhere, although I have yet to try out installing mods.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, misidentify, since DRM != malware.

I think Capcom made a big mistake adding this DRM to older games, I personally don't want any DRM solutions that only annoy the people who don't pirate and make games run worse, but I don't consider it malware if "all" it does is make it impossible to tamper with the executables. If the DRM does more than that, like collecting data from my PC, installing back doors, etc etc, than it's a completely different matter.
And surely random unknown DRM solutions never have been caught either carrying malware or having a built in attack vector…

Considering there have been no 3rd party eval of this “product”, I would not rush to judgment that it’s safe.

StereoVsn

Steam has a monopoly on PC. They could kick capscom straight into its lane if they wanted too. But they don't care because they give more about probably 100m they make from them, then a few modders on PC that complain.

Let's not forget that gaben isn't pc's best friend, they had no problem introducing paid mods a while back until a massive backslash happened and half the modders left for good and steam was getting bad rep everywhere. Only after still releasing it and basically everything becoming a shit show he reverted it.

They also have no problem lying towards you that u "buy a product' while in reality it’s a rental. For the only reason so u can't resell your digital license which basically the entire market then adopted. I have no clue how this legally is even a thing and the EU should start slamming all the digital gaming platforms for this bullshit.
This is a load of nonsense.

1 - Steam doesn’t have monopoly on PC. I am not going to bother listing all huge games that aren’t on Steam or are on multiple stores, but again, nonsense.

2 - Steam introduced paid mods? What did “Steam” (maybe you mean Valve) charge to mod? Or are you mistakenly assigning Valve blame for Bethesda’s or other company’s issues?

Steam is a platform run by Valve. They do support DLC, MTX or whatever other shit publishers dream up since yeah, they are a platform. Valve as a company haven’t pushed paid mods unless you mean CSGO or Dota knives or hats or whatever the hell people do there.

Top Bottom