• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

demigod

Am I crazy , or that gold horse fuckboy at the start is impossible to beat in the start I've literally died 50 times on it , I know i can avoid him but now I have a grudge against him
I picked samurai too. I only got in about 30% of his health before he owned me. I cheesed him and shot arrows at him at the Church.

Zimmy68

I picked samurai too. I only got in about 30% of his health before he owned me. I cheesed him and shot arrows at him at the Church.
The great Tyraniccon posted a cheese video on how to defeat him. I haven't encountered him yet but will try that method when I do.

Gaelyon

Is there a way to summon people before boss fights? I don't quite understand the mechanics.
I think you need to register to the small statue first, then use the coop finger item ? Sometimes there's also summon runes for NPC as well just before the fog gate.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Took the vagabond, did one cave so that was fun. Got the horse and can upgrade my level. Found the chest but thanks to Kotaku article I left it alone :D

DavidGzz

I recommend putting whistle to pouch so it's Y + dpad instead of selecting it with regular item cycle.

Dang thanks!

If anyone doesn't know, you press left bumper and left trigger to attack to the left of torrent while mounted.

Man, I thought dual falchions was cool but I think the moveset for dual long sword is even better. God I love this. A first experience with these games is priceless.

sinnergy

I strongly recommend just jumping on Torrent and exploring Limgrave before worrying about the story bosses. So much to discover and find. I have no idea how colossal this game is, because just this first area is likely to take me 15 + hours to really conquer.
You have time to play 15 hours since launch ??? 😂

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I strongly recommend just jumping on Torrent and exploring Limgrave before worrying about the story bosses. So much to discover and find. I have no idea how colossal this game is, because just this first area is likely to take me 15 + hours to really conquer.
Yeah, I've left a few areas intentionally unexplored. Going to hop on the horse and try 'em out. Including the
dragon fight

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I would like to 2 finger that Maiden.
Joke Shade GIF by Desus & Mero

Buggy Loop

Can anyone explain ashes of war? Do I always keep the ones I found? If I put on a sword and sell it… I still keep it?

RafterXL

After 6 hours last night I woke up and my first thought was getting back in the game. Thankfully my days off lined up or I'd be working and miserable.

Just a few things off the top of my head:

1) I thought I wouldn't enjoy the horse, so in the beginning I never used it but the more I get used to it the more I like it. They did a great job making riding and horse combat feel like something you'd want to do.

2) The vial refill mechanic when you clear an enemy type is super cool. I love being able to be more agressive and know that it's ok to take a hit or used a vial so long as I kill that last guy and get refreshed.

3) Parry enemies on horses...trust me.

4) Slight nitpick, but the no CGI when you boot the game and the intro were, easily, the weakest in the series. Usually I watch those and get really pumped, but this games intro was just ok. Fortunately, one you are in the game that changes.

5) I 6 hours I saw two areas, gained quite a few levels, got a few new weapons and pieces of armor, and even found a handful of bosses. But mostly I just wandered. It's pretty damn amazing to just explore and not worry about progress.

6) I'm walking down the road and I see this low level hollow, that looks like every other hollow that I kill in a single hit and when I kill him the guyturns into a gigantic bear mini-boss and beat the shit out of me before I can get over the shock

7) Crouch and a proper jump have added so much to the combat. I use them both all the time. It's also really cool that enemies will jump and climb to get to you. The game is Souls through and through, but they've added just enough that, combined with the open world make it a weird, but amazing, mix of familiar and fresh.

I'm so impressed with this game. This is the first time in a very long time that I've gotten the new game feeling I used to get when I was a kid. Like, I've played plenty that I've really enjoyed, but this is something different, like Christmas morning opening my N.E.S...

Salmon

I use them both all the time. It's also really cool that enemies will jump and climb to get to you. The game is Souls through and through, but they've added just enough that, combined with the open world make it a weird, but amazing, mix of familiar and fresh.
Am I the only one that changed the jump/action button? Feels more natural to jump with triangle and interact with things with X

SJRB

Gold Member
Kinda disappointed there was no CGI intro cinematic

The intro is insanely bad, it honestly feels like a placeholder.

Didn't they release a CGI trailer months ago? I could've sworn that was the intro cinematic.

Such a weird start.

Bragr

Banned
Anyone here playing on PS4?

The PC version is so scuffed I am thinking of refunding and just getting the base PS4 version. Don't have a PS5 yet. It runs well on consoles, right?

imsosleepy

what a day this has been.. got off work early, finally able to play.
On pc coz no ps5. I play with ps4 controller but it keeps disconnecting not sure if its the cable or the controller but also buttons are shit now.
Drove 30m to store, bought a new ps5 controller and a new cable. Plug it in, not working. Spend an hour trying to fix it only to come to conclusion its not connecting with the new cable.. Finally got other cable and it worked.
Played samurai first got to open world, but then read that there are hardly any other armor or weapons and decided to start over and now am a warrior lol
but its great! I tried sekiro and I realy hated it after loving bloodborne, this I love again!

TVexperto

Black Chamber Black Chamber what an incredible thread. Thank you and what a loss for resetera for banning you just because you wanted to create a cyberpunk OT.... their loss our win!

i have a question to all players: i cannot decide if i should get this for pc or ps5. jason scheisser said ps5 looks worse than pc but on pc there seems to be stutters?

DavidGzz

Am I the only one that changed the jump/action button? Feels more natural to jump with triangle and interact with things with X

I thought about it but then figured jumping and using strong attack felt more awkward with Y so I just got used to picking up items with Y. I spam it going through bushes so I got used to it quick lol

skit_data

Does anyone know if save transfer from PS4 to PS5 works?

I’m planning on playing the PS4 version until performance gets sorted on the PS5 version, if it gets sorted that is.

Astrologer is so much fun. Magic is still strong as fuck. Beat the first major boss.

Also did a Hero build and made it to the first major boss but was getting diggled so I gotta level up first.

For all its faults, Botw is an amazing game.

For FromSoft to create an open-world game that matches and even SURPASSES Botw on their very first attempt is nothing short of astonishing.

The game is phenomenal.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm having a blast. Only a few hours in. Had some of oh shit moments already.
I'm playing a Warrior. Loving it. I always did sword and board before. Should I just keep pumping into dex and end? Do I do any vigor? I'm not great at game and really want to optimize my build.

Nankatsu

So how stable is performance mode on PS5?

I've read a few things about it's framerate being very inconsistent (frames dropping from 60fps to 45) and the best thing is going for graphic fidelity and get those constant 30fps or booting up the PS4 version.

Which makes me considering waiting for them to stabilize the framerate on performance.

Last edited:

SCB3

Finally getting round to start after taking a break from Destiny Witch Queen

PS5 version on Frame Rate mode, looks fantastic so far, went with a Hero class

First boss, didn't even manage to get a hit in

This is gonna be a long one isn't it.....

kevm3

For all its faults, Botw is an amazing game.

For FromSoft to create an open-world game that matches and even SURPASSES Botw on their very first attempt is nothing short of astonishing.

The game is phenomenal.

I actually like this much better Breath of the Wild. Exploring in this game is actually interesting and it avoids the feeling of travellin across giant, empty landscapes with no real feeling of danger. The fact that weapons in BOTW broke every 10 seconds made finding new weapons almost feel worthless, hence reducing the fun of exploring. I feared the open world thing might ruin elden ring and make it feel boring as you are traversing huge landscapes, but somehow they managed to create a huge, cohesive and INTERESTING world. It's actually fun to explore in this game.

Top Bottom