• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Once that OP loads (which is admittedly a bit of a wait, even on my fiber connection), it's a sight to behold.

Incredible effort.
Thank you🙏🏻
Easily the title gif. Seeing the “black chamber presents…” and Neogaf OT - I knew I was in for a ride.
That's my favorite one as well🤘🏻💯

I was inspired by these:

zAwTzDU.png
ta6Ho3N.png

The ancient stone Triforce with the ivy growing on it - that really spoke to me as a child. It tells a tale all on it's own...in my mind, I thought of a fantasy world, legendary deeds, triumphant stories of great heroes, villains and journeys into foreboding, unknown lands.

All that from seeing a mere logo.

I've carried these images in my mind; always being inspired by them. Now, I finally had a reason to homage them in my own way💯

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Seriously, am I the only person on xbox who only is able to purchase the Deluxe edition? Standard says not available.

Edit: had to get to standard edition through the Deluxe edition "hub."

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

nivix

Neo Member
Same here. About ten hours in and I haven’t noticed anything that makes this unplayable for some people. I don’t even have a VRR capable TV and it’s been mostly smooth for me. Maybe it’s later in the game but so far so good.
VRR TV/Display?

I am right on the edge of the fence to buy it or not for XSX.. But my TCL 55 is 2018 and didn't get the VRR update, planning on getting a new one in the next few months.
No, I'm playing on a basic TV. I've been playing most of the day and it has been super solid compared to what I remember for Dark Souls 1-3 and Bloodborne. Still nothing more than some grass pop-in when I'm moving fast on the horse. Might be of note though that I've done little fast travel and not a whole lot of resting unless I was getting killed repeatedly by a boss. Also, I mostly use the horse for just traversal. The horse combat isn't quite my jam.

Does the game have a massive metroidvania style map with shorts cuts that fold in on itself at all, or is it
a truly flat, traditional open world style?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thank you🙏🏻

That's my favorite one as well🤘🏻💯

I was inspired by these:

zAwTzDU.png
ta6Ho3N.png

The ancient stone with the ivy growing on it - that really spoke to me as a child - I've carried these images in my mind; always being inspired by them. Now, I finally had a reason to homage it in my own way💯
Well you did a bang up job mate. Even showed it to some non-gaffers and they got hyped from it. Fantastic job.

hlm666

any way for the game to display the actual keyboard and mouse bindings in the game? it always displays controller binding, ie "Y" or "X" etc when i'm not using a controller...
In system under one of the tabs (sorry can't remember which one) you can change ui prompts from controller to keyboard.

Riky

$MSFT
Picked up Digital Deluxe from CDkeys for £54 then get over £5 back from Xbox Rewards, less than the cost of the standard disc version.
Installing now.

Pop

Anyone having the issue of the game completely shutting off your PS5? Happened twice now in 30 mins

Going to wait for confirmation or patch before playing again

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anyone having the issue of the game completely shutting off your PS5? Happened twice now in 30 mins

Going to wait for confirmation or patch before playing again
Nope. Played for 4 hours today and no issues outside of some frame drops.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This game is amazing. The world is filled with things to discover at almost every corner, and the game surprised me a few times, and even trolled me once.

Bosses are pretty cool too, all the minibosses I fought were pretty agressive and had great designs. Specially loved the Tree Sentinel, which took a few tries but was a very cool "mounted boss fight", so I hope we get more of those.

Btw, I cheated two minibosses with the wolfs spirit, which I guess is the easy mode mechanic because man, it lets you cheese bosses like you wouldn't believe.

Overall, I'm amazed with the game. Can see myself putting many hours into this.

Pejo

Man I got absolutely FILTERED by Margit.

I feel like I felt the very first time I played Demon's Souls on PS3. He's really tough with a melee build. Going to call it a night and try again tomorrow, probably do a few upgrades too before getting back into it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Good grief, the reviews weren’t lying.

The sense of discovery and exploration is off the charts. Have been at it for four hours and not even bothered with Margit yet. Too busy looking in all the nooks and crannies. Love how you can just stumble on a random dungeon and boss, completely unsignposted by the game.

Incredible game.

shubik

I fucking caved in and bought it last night for the PS5. I know I will probably regret it because I will most likely bounce off the difficulty just like with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 before. But after those reviews, I still had to try it for myself.

Gonna start later today. Any recommendations for a beginners class? I thought of going prisoner because magic looks fire.

J3nga

Played it 30mins, didn't seem like DS3 to me. Unfortunately very very stuttery on PC, had this same engine for years, still have these issues.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Quick peeps, should I grab it on XSX or PS5?

Was going to on XSX but would appreciate any feedback.

I’m on Series X. A bit laggy in open world when you sweep the camera around fast. Other than that, absolutely fine. Frame rate feels smooth. A bit of pop in, but nothing to get mad about. All in all, I’m fine with the performance so far.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I fucking caved in and bought it last night for the PS5. I know I will probably regret it because I will most likely bounce off the difficulty just like with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 before. But after those reviews, I still had to try it for myself.

Gonna start later today. Any recommendations for a beginners class? I thought of going prisoner because magic looks fire.

Magic is definitely your friend. Prisoner is a good starting class. Starting magic let’s you sit off the enemy, although it’s slow to deliver. Marry with summons and some bosses are already a breeze.

Data Ghost

I caved and bought it on XSX last night even though these are NOT my kind of games and while I am also playing HFW on PS5. There is no logic to my actions and they will ultimately lead to one of the games not getting played enough. I don't know why I do this to myself :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Margit took forever to kill, are there any good early game weapons or was I just too under levelled? I'm pretty sure I was doing like 100 damage at the most with each hit. Still using the long sword I started the game with.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Magic is definitely your friend. Prisoner is a good starting class. Starting magic let’s you sit off the enemy, although it’s slow to deliver. Marry with summons and some bosses are already a breeze.
I went prisoner as well but think I need to get used to topping up my FP with my magic flask, I have just one charge in it and 4 in health but still getting wrecked by the first boss, going to explore more of Limgrave later, this is glorious even with the framerate a bit ropey, I hope they can patch that to make it a solid 60 at some point in the future but as you say it is fine on next gen consoles, nothing unplayable.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I went prisoner as well but think I need to get used to topping up my FP with my magic flask, I have just one charge in it and 4 in health but still getting wrecked by the first boss, going to explore more of Limgrave later, this is glorious even with the framerate a bit ropey, I hope they can patch that to make it a solid 60 at some point in the future but as you say it is fine on next gen consoles, nothing unplayable.

Did you get the golden seed as keepsake? That adds another flask of either. There’s another one in open world in Limgrave. I’m balancing three of each right now, though leaning more on magic flasks as am keeping my distance.

By boss, do you mean
Margit? I’d suggest going off to explore a little more. Ash summons help with him no end, as does the npc.

kikkis

Gold Member
Margit took forever to kill, are there any good early game weapons or was I just too under levelled? I'm pretty sure I was doing like 100 damage at the most with each hit. Still using the long sword I started the game with.
Maybe look for golden seeds and sacred tears, those helped me a lot.

SantaC

Gold Member
I am wandering around alot and feel kinda disorientated, even with the so called map. I havent accomplished much so far 😁

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Did you get the golden seed as keepsake? That adds another flask of either. There’s another one in open world in Limgrave. I’m balancing three of each right now, though leaning more on magic flasks as am keeping my distance.

By boss, do you mean
Margit? I’d suggest going off to explore a little more. Ash summons help with him no end, as does the npc.
Yes, took the golden seed as well! I might try balancing my HP/FP a bit more evenly then and your advice is sound I definitely need to explore more before taking Margit, damn I am so glad they used that music in their title theme, I just sat there for a few minutes last night and listened to that music.

22:22:22

Banned
What's the main difference between Incantations and spells? Are both able to enchant weapons?

It's my first time wanting to play with magic. Just started as a prophet but not sure

Folks here that changed their button mapping?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Figured out how to kill the land octopus in 9 hits with a starting weapon. I still haven't found a second weapon upgrade ingredient lol

Just jump strong attack the beak in the middle twice and he staggers for a critical attack. Do that 3 times and he is dead

Last edited:

SSfox

Let's go

C ya all later!!!

FMb6YK1XwAE0q06

FMb6Y52XMBEIqmf

PS: Going with Hero, as always in Souls games i put my character without clothes when i create so i can get his look exactly like i want.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I am really enjoying the start... I only taken on a couple of the easy mini bosses & dungeons so far, but I'm really taking my time -- I started as a wretch, only just got a few equippable items, and am still learning to be patient and use the combat system properly. But I'm at the point where I'm starting to feel it come together a little bit... I'm taking a little more damage, have gained 10 levels or so, getting used to mounted combat, using ranged items/weapons... it's feeling really fun, I can see the depth and great potential.

Haven't gotten into any magic/spells so far, and haven't found many ashes yet. Those are the next steps and some more levels before trying to actually progress.

3 hours in and having a lot of fun. It's a really beautiful and varied world, even just in this first major zone. Many more hours to come this weekend.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah lol. Dodge attacks and then get few hits in and dodge again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This game is amazing. The world is filled with things to discover at almost every corner, and the game surprised me a few times, and even trolled me once.

Bosses are pretty cool too, all the minibosses I fought were pretty agressive and had great designs. Specially loved the Tree Sentinel, which took a few tries but was a very cool "mounted boss fight", so I hope we get more of those.

Btw, I cheated two minibosses with the wolfs spirit, which I guess is the easy mode mechanic because man, it lets you cheese bosses like you wouldn't believe.

Overall, I'm amazed with the game. Can see myself putting many hours into this.
how do I use the damn spirits. I am playing as first class

Top Bottom