• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Ivory Blood

Incredible OT, as always, although loading it took some time, lol. I'm going to play a full sorcerer this time, never tried it before in any soulslike, but magic just looks so enticing, with tons of different schools and spells fit for any playstyle.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Almost 6 years. This is how long we have known about this project being in production, from the first-ever leak on Reddit and the inception of /r/greatrune.

After FROM finally acknowledging its existence by 3 years later, not even a shred of information all the way 'till last year's SGF except for one art leak that now turns out was true.

Many speculated the game was canceled. Some joked it's a social experiment.

Not sure about you but I was there all the way. Through the "great hollowing", memes, "fake lore" and daily speculation keeping the hype alive for YERAS of knowing literally nothing about the game...

Say what you will about Reddit but I fucking love this place, just like I love NeoGAF and want to give a shout-out to anyone who has been there with me for the ride. Thank you!

Below is the screenshot of that very first leak, a private message from the leaker to then future admin of /r/greatrune that he made public last year.

nmmfh5a.png

When COVID first hit for a time I thought it was over, that the world is fucked and we're all gonna die.

I know this may sound cringy and hyperbolic but one of the reasons I LOVE VIDEOGAMES is no matter how bad things get in life, they always give me something to look forward to.

Elden Ring gave me something to look forward to.

See you in the Lands Between.

DavidGzz

Day 1 patch was a separate download for me. 1.86 gigs. Almost done with that DL too.

My preload on Series X says it's ver. 2.0, does this mean the day 1 patch has been applied or will it download when the game releases?

Attempt to start the game, when I restarted my Series X after switching regions and tried to play it early(lol) it said I'm too early and then began to download the patch which paused my Cyberpunk patch.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Almost 6 years. This is how long we have known about this project being in production, from the first-ever leak on Reddit and the inception of /r/greatrune.

When COVID first hit for a time I thought it was over, that the world is fucked and we're all gonna die.

I know this may sound cringy and hyperbolic but one of the reasons I LOVE VIDEOGAMES is no matter how bad things get in life, they always give me something to look forward to.

6 years of hard work from a pretty large group of people and it's all ours for a mear $60. When you think about it that way, games are an insane value. I don't think your thoughts are cringy, I think the same shit a lot. Gotta love videogames, man.

What exactly determines the unlock time? I'm in Japan but bought the NA version (PS5) so the time I'm getting for unlock is US Eastern Time. No midnight marathon for me, probably for the best, getting too old to stay up until the wee hours of the morning lol

Last edited:

MastAndo

Alright, the glowing reviews for this one is too much for me to ignore, despite not having been into Souls games in the past. It looks to be more up my alley than the predecessors.

Decisions, decision though - XSX or PC (i7-3770K w/ 2080 Super)? I suppose I can wait until tomorrow to read more impressions from owners of each.

Ivory Blood

Alright, the glowing reviews for this one is too much for me to ignore, despite not having been into Souls games in the past. It looks to be more up my alley than the predecessors.

Decisions, decision though - XSX or PC (i7-3770K w/ 2080 Super)? I suppose I can wait until tomorrow to read more impressions from owners of each.
Someone mentioned that even a 1050ti is enough to hold 40-50 fps. Go with PC, you'll have a much smoother experience, and just get a controller if you don't like the K+M.
Does anyone know what the reccomended starting character is? I am hearing vagabond?
Vagabond is the sword and board of the game, so yeah, perhaps will be easiest to play and get into. Just don't try Wretch for the meme 'build potential'.

Last edited:

three_muffins

Gold Member
really hyped for the game, although i will play it in 6 months when i finished my other games. :)
Clunky OT though. Not my cup of tea. Less can be more.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Does anyone know what the reccomended starting character is? I am hearing vagabond?
That one's pretty good for min-maxing if you are going after a quality build. Can be used for spellsword or paladin too if you put some points later on into INT or FTH.

I don't know, might pick that up, or wretch if I see the vagabon's starting gear is too OP.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Bought it, downloading now. You all made me to do it, can't wait to rage. Going Samurai since one I want to try a little bit of ranged combat and one Fightincowboy mentioned spells are poo in late game.

Last edited:

LENCH187

Enjoy Tarnished, Im digital so cant play til midnight tonight.. but I will see this time tomorrow without sleep, I can guarantee it.

Sentenza

Wonder what we should expect from that future ray tracing update, in terms of visual boost.
I'm mildly curious but not exactly expecting From Software to hit it out of the park when it comes to that type of technical stuff.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Wonder what we should expect from that future ray tracing update, in terms of visual boost.
I'm mildly curious but not exactly expecting From Software to hit it out of the park when it comes to that type of technical stuff.
The game only needs a minimum of ray-traced shadows. Then it will be upgraded to looking similar to DS Remake. DLSS is a given. Nvidia will help with that. The only other RT feature that would put this game over the top would be RT ambient occlusion to normalize the ridiculous GI light probes plaguing nearly every game in existence.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Think I'm about to jump into the Elden Ring's wagon.

Gonna snag this, HZ2 and GT7 (because of a discount local supplier does) and have most of my gaming year covered I guess.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
patch notes v1.02.1

Sounds good, specially the part about stability and frame drops.

11 hours, 20 minutes and 48 seconds. Can't fucking wait.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

After FROM finally acknowledging its existence by 3 years later, not even a shred of information all the way 'till last year's SGF except for one art leak that now turns out was true.

Many speculated the game was canceled. Some joked it's a social experiment.

Not sure about you but I was there all the way. Through the "great hollowing", memes, "fake lore" and daily speculation keeping the hype alive for YERAS of knowing literally nothing about the game...

Say what you will about Reddit but I fucking love this place, just like I love NeoGAF and want to give a shout-out to anyone who has been there with me for the ride. Thank you!

Below is the screenshot of that very first leak, a private message from the leaker to then future admin of /r/greatrune that he made public last year.

nmmfh5a.png

Interesting allegation in there that Dark Souls 2 was originally intended to be open world, which with the benefit of hindsight does make a lot of the design choices in the finished game make a lot more sense.

Consider:

DS2 is structured very differently from the other games in the series in that the central hub area (Majula) is not the entry-point to the final zone. You get there from Drangleic Castle, a place you need to travel a significant part of the story to reach, and is situated somewhat centrally within the game world. This might seem trivial, but its a consistent trope of Souls' that you end pretty much where you begin, not so in DS2.

DS2's overall progression is different in that you can effectively empty zones of enemies, and then reset them at a NG+ difficulty. This if you think about it, is the sort of behaviour you'd expect in an open-world type of setting and not Souls' traditional cyclic campaigns.

DS2 has I believe the widest variation in area sizes of any entry in the franchise, some areas are very large while others are almost purely connective in nature. At the time I think the consensus view was that the game got "chopped-up" due to problems in development, which was why at some points there are massive and incongruent geographical shifts between major areas.

DS2's original DLC areas (now integrated in Scholar) are remarkably expansive and different from the rest of the game, far more so I think than the expansions of any other entry. That they had this much additional content prepared so quickly (the first expansion appeared 3 months after release, the next two over the following 3 months) suggests that these areas were part of the original design. Also, according to the game's wikipedia page, as late as December 2013 the Bandai/Namco producer was saying that no DLC was planned... this is literlly 7 months before the first of the 3 crowns expansion was released!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

For those that are already playing: could you please tell me how long it takes until you can get your hands on some basic armor/clothes?

I'm thinking starting Wretch, but don't want to spend a lot of time running around naked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom