• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I wouldn't be too sure of that. A news agency isn't going to go up against the richest man in the world with a libelous story and face being crushed out of existence in the courts. If the story lacked veracity Musk would have done more than denied it - he'd be on his way to court. It's not like he ever shies away from a public feud when he feels or knows he's in the right.
We just got through several major media networks reporting that joe rogan eats horse paste.

Aside from that:
Well, notice that he is not denying it.

He then denied it.

If the story lacked veracity Musk would have done more than denied it

Is it possible that anything he does from this point will be evidence to you that he's guilty? If he sues the paper, he's against the free press. If he sues his accuser, he's a monster trying to silence this women. If he says nothing, silence speaks louder than words. Is there honestly some right way to respond to this that you'd support, aside from an admission of guilt because you've already made up your mind?

Instead, consider my approach. Not believing the accusation, but also not considering it false either, because I don't know. Even better when you use that approach with both people who support your worldview, and people who have the complete opposite of your worldview. You don't have to pick a side in situations like this, and standing up for people you dislike or don't agree with gives you credibility when it comes time to defend someone you do agree with.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

It's this tweet I'm talking about. Not his tweets about wanting Twitter to be a free speech platform.

Can you not see the issue with this tweet?

Also, we're talking just about the impact the tweet. No talk about the actual Republicans or Dems.

No? Genuinely what's the problem knowing how he votes if he just goes about his day and leaves everyone alone and it's business as usual. They're coming after him hard so he's pushing back, something more people in his position should do.

There's only one side that wants to continue to silence platforms or people with a certain opinion, I'd rather those people not be in charge of any communications platform.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I could see myself being friends with a murderer even, it depends on the circumstance.
Stopped reading there. No thank you. No comment. No common ground to be found.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Leftists are inclined to believe this anonymous friend from 4 years ago and will hate Musk even harder.

Rightists are inclined to believe this is a leftist hit piece because they are upset that Musk is threatening their right to control what can be said on Twitter.

Middleists will fall into either camp.

So this really changes nothing, hating just intensifies on the planet.

Nobody_Important

No? Genuinely what's the problem knowing how he votes if he just goes about his day and leaves everyone alone and it's business as usual. They're coming after him hard so he's pushing back, something more people in his position should do.

There's only one side that wants to continue to silence platforms or people with a certain opinion, I'd rather those people not be in charge of any communications platform.
Only one side that wants to silence people? Really?

Been paying attention to any particular laws passed in Florida and elsewhere lately that wants particular people to "don't say" something in particular? 🤔

Dropping it there though because that's politics. Just showing how full of shit that narrative is.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
We just got through several major media networks reporting that joe rogan eats horse paste.

Aside from that:

He then denied it.

Is it possible that anything he does from this point will be evidence to you that he's guilty? If he sues the paper, he's against the free press. If he sues his accuser, he's a monster trying to silence this women. If he says nothing, silence speaks louder than words. Is there honestly some right way to respond to this that you'd support, aside from an admission of guilt because you've already made up your mind?

Instead, consider my approach. Not believing the accusation, but also not considering it false either, because I don't know. Even better when you use that approach with both people who support your worldview, and people who have the complete opposite of your worldview. You don't have to pick a side in situations like this, and standing up for people you dislike or don't agree with gives you credibility when it comes time to defend someone you do agree with.

I must not read the same news sources as you, because I saw the accurate stories reporting how Rogan treated himself with Ivermectin administered by his physician (Rogan candidly admitted it in a video - that video was the source for the aforementioned stories), not that he ate the animal-grade Ivermectin paste. Though I am sure many comedians used that term for laughs when they spoke about it.

Across my two posts you're referring to I pointed out that he didn't deny the payment, he denied the allegations of misconduct.

If you read the rest of my posts you'll see that I never concluded he was guilty. None of us could know 100% that at this point. I probably shouldn't have used the word veracity, that was a little too forward.

Cheers

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don’t think coming out and publicly taking sides, in what is the most polarized political landscape here since maybe the Civil War, is a smart move on Elon’s part. It is understandable that he’s frustrated, but also inevitable that the Twitter buyout would generate significant controversy. I think this will distract from his primary goals and bring down much heavier scrutiny of his actions from politicians, regulators, and the press going forward.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I must not read the same news sources as you, because I saw the accurate stories reporting how Rogan treated himself with Ivermectin administered by his physician (Rogan candidly admitted it in a video - that video was the source for the aforementioned stories), not that he ate the animal-grade Ivermectin paste. Though I am sure many comedians used that term for laughs when they spoke about it.
That's a bit too charitable, I'm sorry to say. You can see the exact way the media presented the situation in the following video. I'm going to put it in a spoiler, though, because it's not related to Musk or Twitter. It does a good job of making the point I was referring to, but if you disagree I'm not going to continue discussing it in an unrelated thread.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I don’t think coming out and publicly taking sides, in what is the most polarized political landscape here since maybe the Civil War, is a smart move on Elon’s part. It is understandable that he’s frustrated, but also inevitable that the Twitter buyout would generate significant controversy. I think this will distract from his primary goals and bring down much heavier scrutiny of his actions from politicians, regulators, and the press going forward.
Hopefully. Because so far he has received very little blowback for his antics so far. Especially his recent talk about backing out unless he can get a better price. More attention needs to be paid to what he is doing.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

I couldn't agree more, and I really dislike that he did that. We don't have to pick sides in this war. Much better to see the humanity in us all, and look for common ground.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Oh yeah, only one side of the political spectrum wants to silence or oppress people’s opinions, and prevent them from making their own choices. Absolutely.

Come the fuck on, lads. This partisan stuff is getting bloody silly now. This is why we have to have the ban, because if people don’t realise that both sides are equally in the shit, and the only way out of it is to stop mindlessly following them, nothing ever gets better. I’m frankly disappointed Elon has thrown in with one side, given I would have thought he’d see that more than most. Dumb, for the world’s richest man. Not least from a business perspective.

I will wait to see evidence of any sexual harassment. Is he capable of it? Maybe. Is it definite he did it? Absolutely not.

Like Chittagong said, leftist idiots will hate on him more, rightist idiots will mindlessly defend him. The rest of us will form our opinions based on his confirmed actions.

Last edited:

NickFire

OK, I now see why you were asking the questions that you were. You had already developed the above speculative narrative in your head and settled upon it, then proceeded to use circular logic to transform the actual events so that they fit into it. Got ya. Well we're going to have to part ways in this discussion here then, because I intend on sticking to facts, things that truly happened.

Oh he's the richest man in the world and this woman no doubt signed some kind of nondisclosure agreement. He'll be fine. What I find so humorous about all of this is that he didn't have to spin this childishly fabricated story, inventing imaginary enemies and all. He could have just waited for the story drop and then denied it or let his lawyers handle it. Massively amusing though.
It’s your absolute right to have ignored 95% of the non fox media reaction to him trying to buy Twitter for free speech. Its also your right to ignore that the party in power literally created a disinformation board during those meltdowns. But those media meltdowns actually happened. And that disinformation board actually happened (though it appears they are cancelling it since the head was just let go).

Sounds confident.

Most of his customers are in California for Tesla. Most of his employees are left leaning at Tesla and Twitter. 50% of his customers are going to be left leaning nationwide. And he's gone from Einstein to the My Pillow guy in 1 month. Confident or not hes massively blowing it in terms of PR and his image. He sounds erratic and its hard to take his word on anything now after this and his Twitter buyout flop.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It’s your absolute right to have ignored 95% of the non fox media reaction to him trying to buy Twitter for free speech. Its also your right to ignore that the party in power literally created a disinformation board during those meltdowns. But those media meltdowns actually happened. And that disinformation board actually happened (though it appears they are cancelling it since the head was just let go).

I am aware of the disinformation governance board under the DHS they were planning on creating. You believe its creation was in response to Musk making his offer to buy Twitter about a week earlier?

If so, I would find that scenario far fetched. Such a board would be primarily concerned with disinfo and interference from Russia and China. That said, I did think it was an odd (and poor) idea to try and create a group to tell Americans what is true and what isn't.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Most of his customers are in California for Tesla. Most of his employees are left leaning at Tesla and Twitter. 50% of his customers are going to be left leaning nationwide. And he's gone from Einstein to the My Pillow guy in 1 month. Confident or not hes massively blowing it in terms of PR and his image. He sounds erratic and its hard to take his word on anything now after this and his Twitter buyout flop.

It's incredibly stupid to come out in favour of one political side or the other for a man in his position. There's no other sensible read of the situation. While Twitter might be a cesspit of extremist political views, most of his customers and shareholders won't be like that. They will look at some of the things he is saying and doing now, and won't be impressed.

...Bezos back at number one soon?

BeardGawd

Banned

It's always best to stay neutral and I was pretry shocked that he so definitively took sides but I also think he feels he has no choice. He knows the attacks are coming regardless and he has to pick a side in order to even the odds. You would be surprised how many Democrats don't agree with all the woke nonsense. Plus he's in Texas which I'm sure grants him huge benefits from the conservative base there. Elon is basically this:

It's always best to stay neutral and I was pretry shocked that he so definitively took sides but I also think he feels he has no choice. He knows the attacks are coming regardless and he has to pick a side in order to even the odds. You would be surprised how many Democrats don't agree with all the woke nonsense. Plus he's in Texas which I'm sure grants him huge benefits from the conservative base there. Elon is basically this:

I'm not claiming being woke is popular. Dave Chappelle isn't pro-woke, or Joe Rogan, or lots of people. Bill Maher, etc. What Elon's doing is going well past that into endorsing a whole political party in a pretty inflammatory way, but as pointed out a few pages back, doing it in a very unsophisticated and childish way. "Democrats used to be kind," etc. I just have no clue what his actual mindset is, and the guy seems like a ticking time bomb. I don't think anyone thinks Trump and the Republicans are "kind." So his statement is just kind of gibberish to me. Oh but everyone should work until 3am like the Chinese. I just have no clue what this guy thinks on anything, which is fine. But he's lost trust where a lot of people previously were giving him the benefit of the doubt. And in addition to alienating many of his customers, he's also alienating a large portion of the government that's funded Tesla and Space X, and his LA tunnel project. But I guess he'll be fine getting money from the Chinese government instead if needed.

There's more to politics than woke or not woke.

Last edited:

GHG

This is the problem, at this stage if he doesn't pick a side it leaves him incredibly vulnerable considering his position. So in picking a side it means at least one group of incredibly powerful people will back and support him during times of need.

Let's put it this way, he was never going to side with the loonies who have been hellbent on tarnishing his name for years now. I don't even like the guy and think much of the stuff around Tesla amounts to nothing more than being a cult, but I find myself rooting for him at the moment just because of the amount of ridiculous shit being thrown in his direction. Even more so, it's refreshing to see a guy like him say fuck the PR and speak for himself.

Last edited:

NeoMengy

Neo Member
Damn she only got $250k?

Poor woman got cheated.

Either:

1. She got cheated with a crappy settlement.
2. She had a really bad lawyer.
3. There is more to this story and the current version we know from this "friend" is not accurate.

$250K settlement for sexual misconduct from a billionaire is extremely low, it's possible the incident is much more benign than the article makes it sound and the settlement was simply hush money to keep a minor disagreement out of the public eye.

When it comes to initial accusations like these I always wait for more information before I make serious judgement calls, because more info ALWAYS comes out. Or more accusers come out of the woodworks. Or sometimes further info paints a much less serious picture and the initial accusation was overblown too. Either way, right now I'm with holding judgement until we know more. If Elon did exactly what the article says then it's crappy and the victim got cheated with a poor settlement.

The timing of it all is hugely suspect however, and that fact needs to be considered in all of this.

Rykan

Either:

1. She got cheated with a crappy settlement.
2. She had a really bad lawyer.
3. There is more to this story and the current version we know from this "friend" is not accurate.

$250K settlement for sexual misconduct from a billionaire is extremely low, it's possible the incident is much more benign than the article makes it sound and the settlement was simply hush money to keep a minor disagreement out of the public eye.

When it comes to initial accusations like these I always wait for more information before I make serious judgement calls, because more info ALWAYS comes out. Or more accusers come out of the woodworks. Or sometimes further info paints a much less serious picture and the initial accusation was overblown too. Either way, right now I'm with holding judgement until we know more. If Elon did exactly what the article says then it's crappy and the victim got cheated with a poor settlement.

The timing of it all is hugely suspect however, and that fact needs to be considered in all of this.
The 250k is realistic when you consider that Musk has the money to hire the best lawyers around and she doesn't have that strong of a case considering there's no evidence. If 250k is offered, you take it.

Come the fuck on, lads. This partisan stuff is getting bloody silly now. This is why we have to have the ban, because if people don’t realise that both sides are equally in the shit, and the only way out of it is to stop mindlessly following them, nothing ever gets better. I’m frankly disappointed Elon has thrown in with one side, given I would have thought he’d see that more than most. Dumb, for the world’s richest man. Not least from a business perspective.

Gee, look at how partisan Elon is...
/s

Or maybe he sees the political polarization fueled by social media as a growing problem and truly wants to tackle an important issue that is crippling the political process and public decision making.

This "both sides" argument is slowly becoming ridiculous. It should be clear by now that Elon is issue and policy oriented, he doesn't care about political parties.

Last edited:

Gee, look at how partisan Elon is...
/s

Or maybe he sees the political polarization fueled by social media as a growing problem and truly wants to tackle an important issue that is crippling the political process and public decision making.

This "both sides" argument is slowly becoming ridiculous. It should be clear by now that Elon is issue and policy oriented, he doesn't care about political parties.

Correct.

Also I don't understand this whole "Elon taking a side isn't smart."

So practically every other major business owner or CEO is explicitly taking a side, whether through words or actions (personal actions or company actions), and that's all fine... But when Elon does it, it's not?

- Jeff Bezos owns quite possibly the second most liberal mainstream newspaper whose tagline is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
- The new Twitter CEO (the guy after Dorsey, don't remember his name) said he doesn't care about the First Amendment.
- Every other CEO that has their company adopt a DEI committee and all the associated policies and company culture changes, all those CEOs are taking a side.

So when CEOs takes particular side, nobody bats an eye. But I think you guys are just responding to Elon specifically because Elon is taking the side you don't want him to take.

Amiga

It's this tweet I'm talking about. Not his tweets about wanting Twitter to be a free speech platform.

Can you not see the issue with this tweet?

Also, we're talking just about the impact the tweet. No talk about the actual Republicans or Dems.

Musk is doing it how it should be. When people try to intimated you into submersion you go up to their face. He is just skipping all the minions and going directly to the boss chamber.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Musk is doing it how it should be. When people try to intimated you into submersion you go up to their face. He is just skipping all the minions and going directly to the boss chamber.
And that boss chamber is throwing everything at him to destroy him.

I forgot to mention: Expecting a high profile individual or corporation to remain culturally/politically neutral in this environment is at best naive.

If you try to remain neutral, activists will force your hand at taking a side.

Exhibit A: Disney initially tried to remain neutral after Florida's Parental Rights in Education bill became known. So... How did that all work out for Disney? 😂

I think Elon just doesn't want to make his position ambiguous, or to have activists pestering him on taking a side on every major issue.

He's also absolutely right that Tesla -- the world's pre-eminent manufacturer of electric vehicles -- getting kicked out of the Environmental, Social, and Corporate (ESG) is some massively clown shit 😂

Correct.

So practically every other major business owner or CEO is explicitly taking a side, whether through words or actions (personal actions or company actions), and that's all fine... But when Elon does it, it's not?

- Jeff Bezos owns quite possibly the second most liberal mainstream newspaper whose tagline is "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
- The new Twitter CEO (the guy after Dorsey, don't remember his name) said he doesn't care about the First Amendment.
- Every other CEO that has their company adopt a DEI committee and all the associated policies and company culture changes, all those CEOs are taking a side.

So when CEOs takes particular side, nobody bats an eye. But I think you guys are just responding to Elon specifically because Elon is taking the side you don't want him to take.
I think most billionaires are naturally in line with republican policies. They're more pro-corporate, pro tax cut, anti-regulation, anti-labor. Musk spent the last decade crafting an image that allowed him to maintain trust and influence across the spectrum, despite being the richest man in the world. He's basically decided to throw that away over Twitter, and some very childish and unsophisticated political temper tantrums on Twitter.

Really the only one losing is him. He's losing influence, and his image. Bezos has zero influence in that way, and is pretty much universally distrusted. Musk is well on his way to joining him.

RAÏSanÏa

FAKE TWITTER

omsOXBz.jpg
It's been so long since I tried to parse one of these that I can't tell if this is real or not.
Going to comment on the bit about Elon's voting announcement as though it's real.

No one believed he made any dramatic switch. The whole I used to vote for x until they become "party of hate"[read: nazis] is a meme.
No genuine thinking person with firm policy reasons would allow emotional reasoning to sway them. They'd outline it with details. They wouldn't say they switched parties because the party they were in became the party of hate. That's so stupid it can't be real.

He's obviously got money and power. But he's lost influence. He used to be able to just say something, and nearly everyone would default to thinking it was smart and a good idea worth considering. He's pretty much shit the bed on that front.

It's been so long since I tried to parse one of these that I can't tell if this is real or not.
Going to comment on the bit about Elon's voting announcement as though it's real.

No one believed he made any dramatic switch. The whole I used to vote for x until they become "party of hate"[read: nazis] is a meme.
No genuine thinking person with firm policy reasons would allow emotional reasoning to sway them. They'd outline it with details. They wouldn't say they switched parties because the party they were in became the party of hate. That's so stupid it can't be real.
And this is where we're at. We have to assume Musk's post is a lie because it sounds so stupid, childish and unrelated to policy that it can't be real. Great PR for the policy genius guy that's supposed to steward the health of our digital public square.

Last edited:
This may have been historically true for a long time.

But it's false in 2022. Especially for giant corporations in the media business. (Both legacy and social media)
True. Trust me, I get that. I'm trying to not get too political. But there's basically bipartisan corporate support. They win either way really. They are fine supporting social left ideas because it's better for their branding, and focuses attention away from actual material change to the system. They donate to, and buy politicians on both sides.

RAÏSanÏa

And this is where we're at. We have to assume Musk's post is a lie because it sounds so stupid, childish and unrelated to policy that it can't be real. Great PR for the policy genius guy that's supposed to steward the health of our digital public square.
Assume? With his comment about Yale out to destroy civilization there's some indication where he's gotten.

True. Trust me, I get that. I'm trying to not get too political. But there's basically bipartisan corporate support. They win either way really. They are fine supporting social left ideas because it's better for their branding, and focuses attention away from actual material change to the system. They donate to, and buy politicians on both sides.
At the bolded: LMAO, you and me both, buddy. I do have the utmost respect for this forum's policies so I'm trying to stay on the proper line and not cross over to explicit political discussion.

I think I have a pretty good sense of where you stand though. And while I disagree with you overall -- potentially strongly so, I think your latest post (the one I'm replying to) is reasonable and we can both agree on it 👍🏾

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Correct.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Assume? With his comment about Yale out to destroy civilization there's some indication where he's gotten.
Personally I think he lies and shitposts a lot. It's hard to tell what he really thinks about sophisticated government policy or politics aside from the culture war. Maybe he literally doesn't think about it at all aside from the culture war, which would honestly be very surprising. And it's hard to tell what he even thinks about freedom of speech really considering how much money he takes from China. That's not an insult, it's a genuine question that I don't know the answer to. In one country he has certain values, but in another country they change. Maybe that's a pragmatic calculation on his part, but I don't know. I'm not really upset about anything he says; I just think he's losing his pristine image.

Mistake

Personally I think he lies and shitposts a lot. It's hard to tell what he really thinks about sophisticated government policy or politics aside from the culture war. Maybe he literally doesn't think about it at all aside from the culture war, which would honestly be very surprising. And it's hard to tell what he even thinks about freedom of speech really considering how much money he takes from China. That's not an insult, it's a genuine question that I don't know the answer to. In one country he has certain values, but in another country they change. Maybe that's a pragmatic calculation on his part, but I don't know. I'm not really upset about anything he says; I just think he's losing his pristine image.
Well in terms of his business with china, I see it more as being pragmatic than anything else. Same reason why every other company is doing the same. Can’t win if you don’t play the game

Well in terms of his business with china, I see it more as being pragmatic than anything else. Same reason why every other company is doing the same. Can’t win if you don’t play the game
I mean, you're right obviously. But he's showing a sharp turn from pragmatism to emotion here.

It's that same disconnect that never made sense for corporations in general across the board. Democrats supposedly are overbearing on businesses with their heavy regulation, but the CCP regulating every aspect of their business and coopting their tech patents and eventually replacing them with a Chinese company is fine; while they crush dissent at home and abroad and don't tolerate any kind of dissent even from CEOs who have to suppress their own speech. If he wants to be forgiven for his business dealings in the name of pragmatism, then an appeal to emotion falls flat and seems hypocritical.

DeaDPo0L84

Only one side that wants to silence people? Really?

Been paying attention to any particular laws passed in Florida and elsewhere lately that wants particular people to "don't say" something in particular? 🤔

Dropping it there though because that's politics. Just showing how full of shit that narrative is.
Good lord, I used to think you were a more moderate common sense left leaning person, seeing this post makes me realize that's not the case.

Even democrats in office realized attacking Desantis was a losing battle cause the "don't say gay" message wasn't working since 1) that's obviously not what it's called and 2) that's not what the bill aimed to do.

You're conflating something whose aim was to ensure teachers simply teach and not push gender ideology of ANY kind on children to CNN wanting to ban Fox news from existing or the current administration wanting to consistently redefine "hate speech" so they can control who has a voice regardless of where they are.

Be smarter, your living up to your name more and more with every post I see by you.

DeaDPo0L84

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Oh yeah, only one side of the political spectrum wants to silence or oppress people’s opinions, and prevent them from making their own choices. Absolutely.
I love how you threw in "choices" when that wasn't even something I mentioned, you're obviously pointing towards something but trust me that's a losing battle for you as well.

Also if you can't see that it is consistently one party that is with a broadbrush attempting to silence opposing opinions I don't know what to tell you. Evidence is plan as day, literally anything they don't like or agree with is "hate speech".

Elon was actually once a good guy to them, until he took away their safe space and now he must be destroyed, cause he stepped out of line of course.

LordCBH

All I’ll say is it’s very convenient that a couple days after he says “nah ain’t voting for y’all anymore” that harassment claims come out of the woodwork. One of which isn’t even being made by the supposed “victim”.

Turnt

All I’ll say is it’s very convenient that a couple days after he says “nah ain’t voting for y’all anymore” that harassment claims come out of the woodwork. One of which isn’t even being made by the supposed “victim”.
I’m not saying the story is true or not. But is it not just that he got approached for comment about the story so knew it was coming and tweeted that in response? So the story came before the tweet (even if it wasn’t posted yet), not the other way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom