• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama Reaction GIF

What makes you think I want to continue discussion with you? I don't. The only person who replied to me with a reasonable response was CharmingCharlie CharmingCharlie . I'll leave you with these to mull over:

You've played your hand and shown your cards. Even the bolded show you've doubled down. I've shown humility, you've shown assumption, arrogance and continued to tell me what I think. Not an effective tactic to get people on to your side.

The reason people on all sides of all sides are willing to believe everything they're told within their social circle, is that not believing in it caused them to be brow beat, berated belittled and ostracised. There are studies that show that 80% of people are willing to admit to believing that the sun is purple, the grass is orange and that the sea is green, when placed in groups that (are told as part of the experiment) believe the same.

85% of the world are religious. Within the majority of those people, they believe only God is infallible. Atheists believe nothing is infallabile. Therefore anyone who ridicules others for making a mistake are either placing themselves equal to God, or betraying the beliefs of atheists.

After all, "to err is to human, to forgive, divine" Alexander Pope.

Are you equal to God? A bad atheist? Or a robot?

Yes I am a robot. Beep boop.

Just goes to show the power of propaganda

and what flavour of yorkshire are you? Toffy snob north, inbred south, smack head east or up your own arse west?
I hail from the birthplace of stainless steel. A city that once proudly smelted various ores together to produce one of the words finest metals. Not much has changed just these days we smelt the cars on the street instead chanting "thatcher, thatcher the milk snatcher" .......... yeah we still haven't gotten over that.we really really liked that milk.

I hear you about fake stuff sometimes it can actually be difficult to tell reality from fake shit. I mean for christ sake a few years ago we had an actual offical government campaign basically telling immigrants to bugger off back where you came from. So I can see why you would believe this fake especially when we have that dingbat insane liz in charge now. It is actually the kind of thing I would expect that dozy cow to actually do then feel "proud off it" thinking she was all clever.

Toons

Obama Reaction GIF

What makes you think I want to continue discussion with you? I don't. The only person who replied to me with a reasonable response was CharmingCharlie CharmingCharlie . I'll leave you with these to mull over:

You've played your hand and shown your cards. Even the bolded show you've doubled down. I've shown humility, you've shown assumption, arrogance and continued to tell me what I think. Not an effective tactic to get people on to your side.

The reason people on all sides of all sides are willing to believe everything they're told within their social circle, is that not believing in it caused them to be brow beat, berated belittled and ostracised. There are studies that show that 80% of people are willing to admit to believing that the sun is purple, the grass is orange and that the sea is green, when placed in groups that (are told as part of the experiment) believe the same.

85% of the world are religious. Within the majority of those people, they believe only God is infallible. Atheists believe nothing is infallabile. Therefore anyone who ridicules others for making a mistake are either placing themselves equal to God, or betraying the beliefs of atheists.

After all, "to err is to human, to forgive, divine" Alexander Pope.

Are you equal to God? A bad atheist? Or a robot?

It doesn't matter which one they are. All that matters is what they are saying, which you are refusing to accept because it harms your pride.

This isnt about God or atheism or being ostracized, this is about the truth and the falsehoods that muddy that truth. Truth seekers have long been ostracized by masses convinced by propaganda, but that should not stop one from revealing truth. Turth exists independently of public opinion, it just is of isnt.

Wherever you got that meme from; I guarantee you weren't the only one to see it think it was true and react to it. Those folks then shared it to others who were probably in a similar headspace and didn't question it either. They then shared it to those in their circle. From one image, now we have potentially thousands convinced of an abject lie being true. This is exactly what we were talking about earlier in why scrutiny is important.

akimbo009

Gold Member

FunkMiller

It's from vice... and he just came out and said it's false.

Doesn't matter, you here prove they already accomplished what they were trying to.

It's come from Ian Bremmer, so it's his word against Musk's. One of them is lying. I doubt we'll ever know who as there's probably no evidence.

tommib

Gold Member
No, there is reality. Some people want to distort it, but there are facts that aren't subject to belief - they just are, like Putin is a fuckhole.

To say nothing is right and nothing is fact because "reasons" is actually the scheme not an accident.
There’s also a lot of people in power interested in perpetuating the incredibility of media. If everything is fake news, then whatever investigation exposed about “me” is fake and doesn’t represent anything.

The destruction of journalism is an open road to authoritarianism and full-on state propaganda. And I’m talking about the western world, by the way. We already know how reigned the media is in dictatorships as opposed to democracies.

The nu-cynicism towards established journalism is very post-modern and falls into conceptual relativism.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If that's true, he's complicit in the murder and raping of Ukrainians. It definitely triggered the pro-Russian bots to activate.

Many are calling for Musk to be investigated for violation of the Logan Act now (🤷‍♂️). After all of the foot in mouth tweets these past few months one would think Musk would go radio silent at least until this Twitter deal is over, but he remains a walking carnival of dumb statements.

And why in the world would anyone not involved in government and without a stake in this invasion contact the actual dictator who is presently engaged in war crimes? Woof. Anyways, I guess that's for the Ukraine thread.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It's come from Ian Bremmer, so it's his word against Musk's. One of them is lying. I doubt we'll ever know who as there's probably no evidence.

It's funny how some will say that thousands of unrelated journalists are all lying to you for ..... some undefined reason, and yet they immediately believe whatever Musk tweets unconditionally. Lol. Cognitive dissonance.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They will never let him control Twitter.
US is going to have to nationalize some of the control of its major companies to compete against China. It seems inevitable. Just a question of whether or not it can get done or if too many politicians are bribed to stop it. Musk is literally tweeting out pro-Kremlin, pro-CCP foreign policy talking points while he's intimately involved in military level tech. It's obvious he is trying to position himself to have as favorable a position as possible with major US rivals. It would be like a Lockheed-Martin CEO just randomly tweeting out details of how Taiwan can surrender on twitter, unprompted.

Again, this is treating him as a rational actor. The other possibility is that on anything political, he just is an unbelievable moron that doesn't understand what he says or does. I personally think he's not a moron.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Musk plans to layoff 75% of Twitter. Whether the deal goes through or not (I suspect it will), I think Twitter is on the brink of collapse. I'd love to see FB/Insta/etc. go down next.
I work in tech (sales side, so I'm good), and it's a bloodbath out here. Imagine after a decade of hearing nothing but "don't worry about profitability, just go fast" from the board and investors the same investors are suddenly saying "we are not going to give you any more money, what's your path to profitability"?

FB and Insta will be fine, they are incredibly profitable and on a consistent basis. Twitter is bouncing up and down.

ReBurn

Gold Member
US is going to have to nationalize some of the control of its major companies to compete against China. It seems inevitable. Just a question of whether or not it can get done or if too many politicians are bribed to stop it. Musk is literally tweeting out pro-Kremlin, pro-CCP foreign policy talking points while he's intimately involved in military level tech. It's obvious he is trying to position himself to have as favorable a position as possible with major US rivals. It would be like a Lockheed-Martin CEO just randomly tweeting out details of how Taiwan can surrender on twitter, unprompted.

Again, this is treating him as a rational actor. The other possibility is that on anything political, he just is an unbelievable moron that doesn't understand what he says or does. I personally think he's not a moron.
The US government is reticent to nationalize anything and wouldn't do a good job of managing companies it took over since it would probably just outsource the operations of those companies to other private companies at the triple the cost of the private operations. Which companies do you think the government should control?

If anything US social media companies should be under more government scrutiny due to their vast influence. Maybe not as restrictive as the what the FCC mandates for other forms of media, but they should not be able to independently control discourse.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

The US government is reticent to nationalize anything and wouldn't do a good job of managing companies it took over since it would probably just outsource to operations of those companies to other private companies at the triple the cost of the private operations. Which companies do you think the government should control?

If anything US social media companies should be under more government scrutiny due to their vast influence. Maybe not as restrictive as the what the FCC mandates for other forms of media, but they should not be able to independently control discourse.
They can nationalize aspects of it, such as restricting foreign investment and requiring security oversight on critical companies. I don't have a list of companies handy but really just look at anything China is purchasing in the US and start there. Any advanced tech and production capability for one, farmland, social media. US is already restricting sale of advanced chips, and 5G. They don't have to fully nationalize to try and prevent critical parts of our economy / national security from being casually bought and used against us.

The free speech argument about twitter was always going to be better remedied by turning it into something along the lines of a public utility, not by auctioning it off to foreign investors.

Every company in China is beholden to the interests of the state. Then they take that money and buy control of everyone else too. It's an uneven playing field and has to be addressed. The only people that stop it will be bribed politicians that don't care about the interests of the country, which is the majority of them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They can nationalize aspects of it, such as restricting foreign investment and requiring security oversight on critical companies. I don't have a list of companies handy but really just look at anything China is purchasing in the US and start there. Any advanced tech and production capability for one, farmland, social media. US is already restricting sale of advanced chips, and 5G. They don't have to fully nationalize to try and prevent critical parts of our economy / national security from being casually bought and used against us.

The free speech argument about twitter was always going to be better remedied by turning it into something along the lines of a public utility, not by auctioning it off to foreign investors.

Every company in China is beholden to the interests of the state. Then they take that money and buy control of everyone else too. It's an uneven playing field and has to be addressed. The only people that stop it will be bribed politicians that don't care about the interests of the country, which is the majority of them.
The concept of "the interest of the State" isn't one that's going to fly in the US unless the US decides to abandon its constitution.

The better option for the US is to limit foreign investment where necessary as opposed to government takeover of private industry. The US government can't facilitate the same kinds of innovation that private companies can. It doesn't have the power. It would be impossible for the US to operate more like China since the Chinese government is willing to ignore the individual rights of its people and use them as meat in the meat grinder to fuel its economy.

The best thing the US government could do for Twitter is let it fail.

Punished Miku

I read somewhere that like 1,500 of Twitter's workforce is just content moderation. What are the rest doing?
Well they're all across the globe. That alone should help understand it a little bit. But a lot of these tech companies are definitely bloated.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I could see that one :lollipop_raising_hand: it's a crapshoot really.
You should check this one later, George seemed to be on to something...
Ignore the indoctrinated question, listen to his response about episodes 1-3... with comments like yours, we are living in that timeline.

Only thing that should be national about it, is recognizing it as a public square (utilities), thus 1A applies just as it does in those scenarios. "Like China" hell to the nah, bitch you crazy! That's what they want people to want.

On a side note, it was interesting that he said "I lost control of Star Wars..." rather than, "I gave up control." But that is for another topic.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member

Musk plans to layoff 75% of Twitter. Whether the deal goes through or not (I suspect it will), I think Twitter is on the brink of collapse. I'd love to see FB/Insta/etc. go down next.

Regardless of what you think of Twitter, or content moderation as a whole... Arbitrarily saying you are going to cut 75% of the workforce is dumb. Now if Musk wants to tank the platform and lose all of his investment.. Well then, GO FOR IT MUSKY!

With over 200 billion tweets a year across the world, you need a workforce to maintain your service and moderate it..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Regardless of what you think of Twitter, or content moderation as a whole... Arbitrarily saying you are going to cut 75% of the workforce is dumb. Now if Musk wants to tank the platform and lose all of his investment.. Well then, GO FOR IT MUSKY!

With over 200 billion tweets a year across the world, you need a workforce to maintain your service and moderate it..
Sounds like he is cutting a cancer out, and will rehire as needed.

Many of those 7500 workers seem to be doing fuck all. The site/app has been stagnating for years, the bot problem is absolutely insane (there are seemingly hundreds of blue-check verified Vitalik accounts, for example) and they even suck at enforcing their own content policies. Time to cut the fat.

Vestal

Gold Member
Many of those 7500 workers seem to be doing fuck all. The site/app has been stagnating for years, the bot problem is absolutely insane (there are seemingly hundreds of blue-check verified Vitalik accounts, for example) and they even suck at enforcing their own content policies. Time to cut the fat.
Couldn't it be the other way around? Considering the amount of data being entered into the system on a daily basis, maybe they don't have enough people to enforce their content policies.

I am 100% sure there is fat to cut at Twitter(shit there is fat to cut at every company in the world). But again, this is Musk one more time talking out of his asshole to make headlines and stir some shit.

Hell, I will put up my avatar for anyone to use for a year if he actually goes through and cuts 75% of the work force within 6 months of acquiring Twitter.(And twitter doesn't implode within a month)

Last edited:
It's funny how some will say that thousands of unrelated journalists are all lying to you for ..... some undefined reason, and yet they immediately believe whatever Musk tweets unconditionally. Lol. Cognitive dissonance.
Yup especially on here.

Can't trust MSM; do your own research etc.

Apparently random persons on social media filming themselves ranting about a topic is more credible than journalism.

Musk a pathology liar and narcissist Vs bremmer.

not hard to see which one is more credible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom