• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone loves reboots! Lets reboot 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'

ymoc

I knew this would be shit the moment it was announced, but my curiosity got the better of me as I saw a lot of chatter about Uncle Phil on Twitter this morning...

Seems like they forgot the best part of Fresh Prince was the comedy.

puke GIF

What THE FUCK is this?! The original is one of my all time favorite shows, but this... I don't even know what to say. Is this supposed to be be comedy????

I knew this would be shit the moment it was announced, but my curiosity got the better of me as I saw a lot of chatter about Uncle Phil on Twitter this morning...

Looks well made, but problem is it looks no different then a zillion Netflix style shows. In fact it reminds me of the fruity Dynasty remake.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol. Why the dramatic shift in tone?

Look trash.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
THe original took a tough situation and made the best of it, this one is going to take a bad situation and make it even worse.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Looks like they are gonna Riverdale it. Ten bucks says that by mid-season it turns out the family is actually a criminal empire and there are tons of family shenanigans about who should be the crime boss.

Everyone on this last page doesn’t seem to be aware how this reboot even came about.

Basically some random made a trailer envisioning what if the show was remade as a drama in modern day Bel-Air and Will Smith saw it and loved the idea and made it happen.

Your childhood isn’t ruined. Ignore this and watch the original as much as you’d like.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

I am glad I didn't trash talk this idea in the first page. I am going to give it a go.

Pejo

Everyone on this last page doesn’t seem to be aware how this reboot even came about.

Basically some random made a trailer envisioning what if the show was remade as a drama in modern day Bel-Air and Will Smith saw it and loved the idea and made it happen.

Your childhood isn’t ruined. Ignore this and watch the original as much as you’d like.
Well the whole point of a forum is to discuss stuff like this. What you like about it, what you don't like about it.

On topic, I think it looks ok, it's definitely hard to take a fan favorite like the Fresh Prince and make such a huge tonal shift. It doesn't seem to be treading on any new ground in the narrative department either, just the bog standard "fish out of water" trope.

They're taking the parts that kept fans watching out of the show and injecting it with 202X depressive themes, that's all I got from watching the trailer.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A golden opportunity to insert some much needed diversity into this show. To have a show be all one color was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

LMBO! Did you want diversity in Seinfeld? In Friends? If it's wrong in this show, then it should be wrong in THOSE... LMBO!

What the fuck did they do to Hilary?! She was one of my top 5 childhood TV crushes.
They turned her from a light skinned black woman into a dark skinned black woman.

They reverse Aunt Viv'd her! Which I have no problem with.

sircaw

Banned
It looks ok, but i can't hide my disappointment that it's not a comedy show.

I guess they had to go a totally different route because trying to compete with the original would have resulted in a failure.

plushyp

Hard pass. Another typical edgy and gritty reboot of an old property that never needed it. Has nothing in common with the original other than sharing the same character names. It's basically just riding on the recognition of Bel Air when it could very well have been another show entirely.

The problem is Discovery syndrome. Like Star Trek DISCO, you take what is well known as a series and turn it into long-form drama, which means you can't just hop into an episode that happens to be on TV. I'll come home from work now in 2022 and the Mrs is watching an episode of the original Fresh Prince and being self-contained, you can just hop in and watch when you choose. Long-form drama is great in short term, but for long time viability, single self-contained episodes will always win out.

wvnative

I'm totally fine with this, it'd be MUCH worse if it were another sitcom that wasn't as funny, had less heart, and was just a poor imitation of the original.

I like this idea of a reboot that doesn't even try to be like the original, it's it's own take, forging it's own path.

...That being said, this trailer looks AWFUL compared to the 2019 concept trailer. Very disappointed. I don't pay for peacock and this hasn't convinced me. I may watch it if it were on a service I already own. But nah...not signing up for this.

I WILL however, be keeping a close eye on online reactions, curious how this does.

It looks pretty well acted and shot, just not interesting enough for me to check it out I guess. On one hand, it's cool they're trying for a completely different tone, but on the other hand it just makes me less interested.

dr_octagon

Banned
They should have been willing to be its own show, inspired by the original. There is no shame in paying homage or being compared. Turning it into a more serious and drama driven show doesn't mean it is unique. Why tell the same story or take a similar direction?

You want to replace a great cast of characters, that's a huge challenge. Will Smith could have been Uncle Will and have it continue the original and remain respectful. Good luck having anyone come close to James Avery, let alone the other cast.

It looks well directed but the references ring hollow, it is lazy by just adapting it wholesale and using the same premise and characters. I would happily be proven wrong but there are plenty of examples where legacy is only used to attract audiences.

Soodanim

Gold Member

What gets me is that if they run this as a drama, then the dramatic scenes won't hit hard because that's the whole thing.

Fresh Prince's dramatic scenes hit hard because they contrast the comedy of the show. When Phil kicks off or when Will cries you fucking know it. James Avery had presence, and his character was about what he did rather than what he has. This new Uncle Phil, from that clip, seems to present himself as "I'm rich as fuck". Not impressed.

Kenpachii

Fresh prince of bell air, was a fun and lightweight comedy with a charismatic group of people, that is recognizable by everybody and is good fun to watch. With some hard hitting reality moments such as phil and will about his dad which obviously is something a lot of people can recognize themselves in and understand, but moves fast away from that also.

This reboot is just leeching on the name in order to get any validation between the 1000's of other shit drama shows, that does everything that the fresh prince of bell air doesn't stand for or made unique and fun and a good watch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom