• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

Variahunter

I honestly just love it when shills loose it and start to despair. It just shows people dumbness and their inability to express an objective thought, which plagues any intelligible discussion online.

Love a brand ? Get your ass in line, you're about to get fucked, one way or another.

I'll drink your tears, morons. We won't miss you.

DJ12

I honestly just love it when shills loose it and start to despair. It just shows people dumbness and their inability to express an objective thought, which plagues any intelligible discussion online.

Love a brand ? Get your ass in line, you're about to get fucked, one way or another.

Maybe MS are waiting for more to rage quit so the actual announcement doesn't get to many negative comments.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS5 Pro launch game?

Think About It GIF by Identity

Imagine the PS5 Pro having HellBlade 2, Starfield, and Indy at launch and then getting Death Stranding 2 and GTA 6 in the first 6 months of 2025.

mckmas8808

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.

Spiderman 2 cost over $300 million to make, it isn't very sustainable and even Sony know it hence their investment in GaaS.

A $300 million game is VERY sustainable if it sells over 7 million units to break even. If it sells over 11 million it would easily make over +100% ROI back (and this is after the money Sony owes Marvel) if the average price is $48. Any company that wants to push the narrative that +100% ROI is bad, is lying to you or is just greedy.

A +100% ROI means the game cost $300 million to make and the company ends up making at least $300 million in pure profit ($520 million in total revenue).

Both Spiderman 1 and Spiderman: MM have sold over 11 million a piece (I believe they'd sold over 35 million units combined with total revenue to be over $1.2 BILLION). Yes......two games made over $1.2 BILLION in revenue! That's sustainable!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
A $300 million game is VERY sustainable if it sells over 7 million units to break even. If it sells over 11 million it would easily make over +100% ROI back (and this is after the money Sony owes Marvel) if the average price is $48. Any company that wants to push the narrative that +100% ROI is bad, is lying to you or is just greedy.

A +100% ROI means the game cost $300 million to make and the company ends up making at least $300 million in pure profit ($520 million in total revenue).

Both Spiderman 1 and Spiderman: MM have sold over 11 million a piece (I believe they'd sold over 35 million units combined with total revenue to be over $1.2 BILLION). Yes......two games made over $1.2 BILLION in revenue! That's sustainable!

The point you're missing about the sustainability of $200-300 million AAA games is the risk factor. Only a handful of games sell over 7 million copies each year. A few big budget sales disasters in a row can be enough to sink a publisher for ever.

The point you're missing about the sustainability of $200-300 million AAA games is the risk factor. Only a handful of games sell over 7 million copies each year. A few big budget sales disasters in a row can be enough to sink a publisher for ever.

Sure but I think only Spiderman has this issue because of what they have to pay Marvel. Their other titles don't have to sell that much. At the end of the day yes it's a risk but that's business sometimes you have to take a risk. Sony took a risk with the first Spiderman and it paid off.

I remember reading once from a Sony exec how TLOU paid off like 5 exclusives that sold poorly. They take risk and it pays off for them.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Exactly what I fear if Xbox stops making consoles and who to turn to if the PS6 is $800
If the 800 is for a true next gen premium console that can compete directly with the PC master race and has not to worry about xbox ... Im all for it ... honestly as I said it before btw. Even for thr Pro I wished we get something like this... I much prefer paying more for more than less for less.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
On the plus side, when exactly the same game releases on PS5, it will get better reviews.
Yes because will have to be better developed to compete with sony FP to sell anything ... they cant release gamepass filler level shit and sell.. so yes will be better received probably. In the end xbox gamers will win a better product ... IF ms/xbox are interested in selling games anymore... in fact XBOX fans can thank all of us that didn't embrace this subscription service bullshit....

Last edited:

sendit

I'm not sure why people are laughing? Playstation only folks will finally get to experience "The Game of the Generation".

Humdinger

Serious question......is Starfield (as a core game) any good to where PS5 owners should even care about this?

On hardcore enthusiast forums like this, the reputation for Starfield is 90% negative, so you'll get a lot of "No's" to that question here. But if you are talking about PS5 owners as a whole, yes, I think there are plenty of them who will be interested enough in Starfield to buy it. Casual gamers just see a big, high-profile AAA game, and many will bite. In addition, there are plenty of Bethesda fans who will give the game a chance, despite the mixed reviews. I won't be one of them (not until the game drops to around $20), but I'm sure there are plenty of casuals and Bethesda fans who will be interested.

What strikes me as really weird in this entire situation is how quiet Phil is. Typically he's so active on socials. Makes you wonder if he has been muzzled or if has actually lost his position to speak from.

I'm just speculating, but I think they've decided that Sarah Bond will be the front person for the PR on this one, and that Phil is going to stay in the background.

QUOTE="HeisenbergFX4, post: 268879532, member: 642031"]
At least Xbox is Tweeting stuff ;)

sE1TeaA.png

[/QUOTE]

Cool marketing for the game. Its gonna be a sleeper hit.

mckmas8808

Colin Moritorty said this about Gamepass 2 weeks ago after the Larian CEO made his statement about subscription services on consoles. It's time stamped.

Theyve recently became one of the biggest publishers thanks to getting abk, makes sense to take advantage of that and publish in as many places as possible now.

Theres a lot more money making pontential in publishing for them than by just being focused to 1 console.
Doesnt necesarily equate to the console going away or that stuff will be coming day 1 just yet, it would be a natural progression to get to that point eventually.

There will be less tribalism among community, dope.

In theory, yes. But Nintendo as an example, has some of the biggest revenue streams and definitely profit margins in the industry, despite only publishing games for their own platform.

At the end of the day a game being available in more places doesn't mean your sales and revenue scale with it. The games still need to be great, still need to have strong presence, good marketing & support to stand out from the crowd and grab people's attention.

Microsoft have had some of those in many of their releases (IMO), but never enough games accomplishing ALL of those things at the same time. Whereas Sony and Nintendo have.

I don't see this as win for consumers. Ps6 can be piss poor at 699 with ps plus price increase and sony first party will only do sure fire hits if even that

Guess I should be scared for the $1,000 Switch 2 and Steam update injecting virus-tier DRM in the games library.

...and the AI-powered forced ads in next Windo--

oh wait, that one's actually been rumored, never mind 😁.

Tg89

Yeah these people are truly a special breed.

Phil told them that he was gonna buy all these studios and release all these games day 1 on gamepass for $20 with zero catches and they didn't blink . Anyone with the common sense of a 8 year old that spent more than 2 seconds thinking on that has long known it was too good to be true.

Radical_3d

Ok, I’m very late but I’ve been busy these days. My takeaway from the thread: legendary, NeoGaf always delivers on historic moments.

My takeaway on all the news: awful. I guess it was unavoidable the moment they decided to jump to that hole that game pass is, but is still bad. They should have kept fighting the old way making good exclusive games. This is going to bite us all in the butt. Specially after the Jimbo management where a lot of bad decisions were made as well. But, in the waiting for an even shittier future for the video games at least we have drama.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Spiderman 2 only needed to sell 7 million units because Marvel is getting 17% per game sold. If it was a new IP it would have needed around 5 million sold to profitable.

There's always risk in business. You can't escape that. Even Nintendo big AAA games have risk to them.

Top Bottom