• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXtas1s: Xbox Showcase to have the first teaser for Xbox Portable

consoul

I won't believe it until I see it, but a portable Series S would make the whole concept of Series S make a whole lot more sense.

LOL, random YouTuber throws shit at the wall, hoping that something will stick and people will suddenly start to believe him.

Honestly there is a good chance that one of these things happen and if he is right, people wrongly assume he really has some insider information.

If it turns out wrong, he will just say that the plans changed in the last second…

Still surprises me how naive some people are on the internet…

Last edited:

ZehDon

If Xbox's portable is still part of their next-gen line up, they won't tease it without its bigger brother to provide context - meaning you won't see it this year. Too far out with too many better opportunities to get people talking later.

As for a shadow drop, that's just pattern recognition. Microsoft generally shadow drops DLC every June. Positioning that as a leak is akin to saying "Ok guys, I can confirm Sony is going to have a very impressive trailer for a first party title at their next State of Play. Big news here: longtime PlayStation fans will be very happy with this one - can't wait to see people's reactions when they finally see it!"

I don't see a reason to do if it is not released any time soon. Unless they want to tie in with AI PCs or something.
This is the modern trend.

There were rumors about the PS4 Pro, then it was shown to the public and finally released all this in 6 months. Believe me, Xbox has dead sales in the industry, when a product fails, it has to be replaced immediately.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Xbox is on the way out.

No way are they going to go back to exclusives.
I know they won’t do it, but from a platform holder perspective they should. As a consumer I love it, I only need one box. But tbh Nintendo is the only one who act like they should with this. Everybody else are going to need to fight a brutal war in a new era of the industry to be relevant.

I signed up to Amazon Prime last night. One single reason. I wanted to see the new Fallout TV serie. That’s how exclusivity works.

Anyone who try to be relevant without exclusivity has to be A LOT better than everyone with what they do. That’s the only way anybody will care about them.

Steam in the PC space can do that. They can ignore exclusivity.
But do you see Microsoft ever pulling that off? I don’t. They’ll become a third party publisher and their platform, store, launcher, cloud streaming service, subscription library service will crumble into nothing. Why? Because they won’t be better than everyone else. And why would you then need or want to use any of their stuff?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I know they won’t do it, but from a platform holder perspective they should. As a consumer I love it, I only need one box. But tbh Nintendo is the only one who act like they should with this. Everybody else are going to need to fight a brutal war in a new era of the industry to be relevant.

I signed up to Amazon Prime last night. One single reason. I wanted to see the new Fallout TV serie. That’s how exclusivity works.

Anyone who try to be relevant without exclusivity has to be A LOT better than everyone with what they do. That’s the only way anybody will care about them.

Steam in the PC space can do that. They can ignore exclusivity.
But do you see Microsoft ever pulling that off? I don’t. They’ll become a third party publisher and their platform, store, launcher, cloud streaming service, subscription library service will crumble into nothing. Why? Because they won’t be better than everyone else. And why would you then need or want to use any of their stuff?
All platforms are relevant already and won't be going anywhere.

Except for Xbox.

Fredrik

All platforms are relevant already and won't be going anywhere.

Except for Xbox.
Within a decade all the big publishers will have their own digital platform, Microsoft too. Nobody is safe and they all have to be super aggressive, current platforms will evolve and new ones will arrive. But only those who do real exclusives or are better in functionality and content than everybody else will stay.

Killjoy-NL

Within a decade all the big publishers will have their own digital platform, Microsoft too. Nobody is safe and they all have to be super aggressive, current platforms will evolve and new ones will arrive. But only those who do real exclusives or are better in functionality and content than everybody else will stay.
Yes, like I said, everyone but Xbox.

coffinbirth

The only way a Series S portable is possible is if they figured out porting the OS to ARM like Apple did and have an equivalent to Apple's Rosetta. ARM is the only way it will work.
That's EXACTLY what they're doing. Well, there's some emulation stuff happening, but ARM has been on Microsoft's radar since nVidias failed takeover. They have publicly stated they want "forward compatibility with Xbox" when speaking about ARM and trying to license AMD tech as opposed to emulation or compatibility layers as well, which is quite telling about their future plans, IMO. Just recently they showed off things on stage and behind closed doors at Build 2024 regarding Windows Gaming on ARM. The Xbox handheld could be their first foray onto the platform, which would make sense as the Windows Xbox OS fork and fixed hardware requirements would make this a lower risk project vs. something like a Surface.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/micr...-platform-with-auto-super-resolution.1670804/

As an Odin 2 owner, the size to power and battery ratio is absolutely nuts vs. my Steam Deck. It's a no-brainer that they would go this route.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Guys one of the things you really expect to see will happen. I can't say which one, but it'll happen. Trust me bro

Fredrik

Yes, like I said, everyone but Xbox.
Xbox as a console? Of course. But Microsoft? Depends what they do. Like I said, nobody is safe. Let’s leave it at that…
Within a decade there will be a clash of titans in a new digital era unlocked from physical hardware. Everybody will need to do exclusives in that new era, even more so than now. We’ll see how long it takes for them to understand this. Right now the old platform holders are pretending to play nice through Steam. The claws will come out sooner or later.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wonder where we would be today if an xbox portable had been released instead of series s. I can't help but feel it would have done much better than S even with less power due to more broad appeal.

Still in some ways now might be an interesting time with portables becoming so much more powerfull. It will be first non Nintendo portable mainstream hybrid......ever.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Let’s see if they bring anything we to the table I.e. a custom OS or finally a good mobile layer on Windows. If not - why would you buy this instead of ROG Ally (or Steam Deck if you don’t care about Windows)?

SHA

Random Youtuber making stuff up for clicks

Surprise Seinfeld GIF
Yeah, he doesn't even seem care about this stuff.

midnightAI

Nah, they'll wait until after PS5 Pro is announced then show it off with some line about it being the only true next gen system blah blah blah

Neolombax

Gold Member
Cool, if true and depending on the price and if it actually launches in my region, I might get this instead of the Portal.

Still waiting to hear why I would buy an Xbox Portable and use it over a Steam Deck.
xbox tends to cost cheaper it will have a large marketing budget it will basically be a mass product something that the Steam Deck can never be.
If it fails, it's because - as I predicted - certain business models only work with Nintendo.

Topher

Gold Member

coffinbirth

I saw that you posted this and was like, "oh hey, maybe it's playable now..."

If you actually watch that video, you'll see that there are EXTREME graphical glitches when traversing that only get worse.

Xbox 360 emulation on Steam Deck is mostly an unplayable mess.

twilo99

I don't think this will be anything exciting in terms of hardware, there simply isn't anything they can get off the shelf, so.. lower you expectations. They could go for the new snapdragon elite chips but.. I dunno

What they can do is make sure the UI/UX is where it needs to be

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I saw that you posted this and was like, "oh hey, maybe it's playable now..."

If you actually watch that video, you'll see that there are EXTREME graphical glitches when traversing that only get worse.

Xbox 360 emulation on Steam Deck is mostly an unplayable mess.
OMG, so significant, so unplayable. /s

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The question is, will this Xbox portable just be a streaming device, or will you be able to download and play games directly from the device?

coffinbirth

OMG, so significant, so unplayable. /s
The ENTIRE SCREEN is glitched textures, and again, it gets WORSE.

EDIT: Yeah, still crashing @ Lot Wilderness. Unplayable.
Also worth pointing out that you can't even run this at this level in Steam OS, you have to dual boot into Windows and run a custom Canary build.

gpu=“d3d12”

d3d12_clear_memory_page_state=true

texture_cache_memory_limit_soft=768

texture_cache_memory_limit_soft_lifetime=60

texture_cache_memory_limit_hard = 1536

texture_cache_memory_limit_render_to_texture=48

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The ENTIRE SCREEN is glitched textures, and again, it gets WORSE.

EDIT: Yeah, still crashing @ Lot Wilderness. Unplayable.
Also worth pointing out that you can't even run this at this level in Steam OS, you have to dual boot into Windows and run a custom Canary build.

gpu=“d3d12”

d3d12_clear_memory_page_state=true

texture_cache_memory_limit_soft=768

texture_cache_memory_limit_soft_lifetime=60

texture_cache_memory_limit_hard = 1536

texture_cache_memory_limit_render_to_texture=48
Good thing I have dual boot.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah, but you responded to a guy saying he wanted to play this game natively on a portable console. The video you posted doesn't do that, and speaking from experience, is a pretty bad way to attempt to play the game.

I am pretty sure the guy meant "not by streaming" with "natively".

Last edited:
Its like you guys just wanna be dumbasses

I mean do you honestly still think Xbox is competition? They've started porting their games to PS and are working on porting more. I used to agree that we need the competition but at this point I just don't see how Xbox can be a competitor while releasing their games on PS.

Dural

Still waiting to hear why I would buy an Xbox Portable and use it over a Steam Deck.

Let’s see if they bring anything we to the table I.e. a custom OS or finally a good mobile layer on Windows. If not - why would you buy this instead of ROG Ally (or Steam Deck if you don’t care about Windows)?

Because you can play your entire Xbox digital library on it; your saved games and everything transfer over and you can go back and forth between SX, Portable, and PC and not have to rebuy anything.

coffinbirth

I am pretty sure the guy meant "not by streaming" with "natively".

I'm sure you're right about that.

I'm also pretty sure he meant "play Blue Dragon" as "playable". You clearly have not attempted to play this game through to completion, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. Correct?

The game is a graphical mess (vertex shader glitches block the entire screen) and crashes frequently towards the middle of the game, neither of those videos go beyond the first act, and yet the vertex shader issue is clearly demonstrated in your first video...that is four months newer than the second video, haha. This is EXACTLY why the Canary compatibility list entry is "playable" and not "playable with issues, frequent crashes" because they took these videos and their comments for the data instead of the reddit threads or the Github repo comments....or actually playing the game.

Look, obviously it is VERY COOL to be able to play any of this stuff at all on a Steam Deck, but let's not pretend like it's a good experience, or anything to casually recommend to others. This all goes without mentioning the frame rate, frame times, input lag, audio glitches and general jankiness of the whole affair. It's neat, but 'cmonnn.

Having a portable Xbox would obviously be a vastly better way to play these games.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I mean do you honestly still think Xbox is competition? They've started porting their games to PS and are working on porting more. I used to agree that we need the competition but at this point I just don't see how Xbox can be a competitor while releasing their games on PS.
MLB the show a PS exclusive for like 20 years is on xbox. Its not unheard of. They can still turn it around, but this whole cheering for 1 system to rule them all is absolutely insane and you guys are going to regret it in a few years. With no competition prices going to skyrocket

Killjoy-NL

MLB the show a PS exclusive for like 20 years is on xbox. Its not unheard of. They can still turn it around, but this whole cheering for 1 system to rule them all is absolutely insane and you guys are going to regret it in a few years. With no competition prices going to skyrocket
You really think Xbox is going to turn it around?

Talking about dumbasses.

I honestly have no issue with prices going up. I think we should be paying more for games as it is. This race to the bottom people want is exactly why MS is having the issues they are having. Gaming is a very cheap hobby and I don't think people really appreciate how cheap it is. Go talk to a car guy and you'll see just how ridiculous a hobby can be when it comes to expenses. Hell I had to get my daughter out of cheer because the prices were getting insane and I finally said enough.

PS was forced to release MLB the show on Xbox or they were going to have the rights to make the game stripped from them. I honestly don't see how a situation like that will happen again unless Marvel does the same to them with their IPs which considering how well they are selling I don't see why Marvel would. So at best Marvel IPs and MLB the show will be multiplat. This doesn't even get into all the other games that don't come out for Xbox for no reason. I'm talking 3rd party not PS.

I'm glad you still have hope that Xbox can "turn it around" but I just don't see it. I think the brand name is damaged at this point. They have like over a decade of releasing sub par games on their system. It would take at least that long of consistently releasing good games for them to turn it around and MS has shown that they just aren't capable of doing that. At this point I'm ready to see them leave the space in hopes that someone else jumps in. As I think that is far more likely to happen then MS turning it around.

Steam IMO would be the best option. Their Steamdeck has proven they can create a console like experience. They still have to improve the quality of SteamOS and get MP working for all the games with anticheats but that is much more likely to happen IMO than MS making a come back.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Because you can play your entire Xbox digital library on it; your saved games and everything transfer over and you can go back and forth between SX, Portable, and PC and not have to rebuy anything.
Also known as GP, which is already available natively on any handheld running Windows 11.

Top Bottom