• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

elliot5

It's definitely up there. Insomniac are great and Spider-Man 2 is gonna be a great game.

Luca releases on Disney+ tomorrow if you'd like to take a look at the latest Pixar movie for comparisons..

It's definitely up there. Insomniac are great and Spider-Man 2 is gonna be a great game.

Luca releases on Disney+ tomorrow if you'd like to take a look at the latest Pixar movie for comparisons..

Don't you mean Loki?

Come On Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

Last edited:
Idk…. Some parts look pretty lame imo.
The team gave more importance to some specific scenarios, also texture and some shader effects are disable when you play with the girl but not with ratchet. 🤷‍♂️

and I dislike when they don’t proper blend grass with floor or uv seams are present in the rocks lol.

You must be in the wrong thread, or are responding to something about a PS1 game.

EDIT: Seriously, cars are much more static than characters with limbs, sometimes air, etc. Also, the forest environments in R & C are much more convincing:

8141-screenshot-7577.png

FH 5:
ce24df69-270e-40e7-b113-22c306e93c74.jpg

I mean they don't even look like they are from the same generation.

Why are you comparing Ratchet and Clank screenshot cutscenes, vs Forza Horizon 5 Gameplay? Forza Horizon 5 looks next gen

Three

I remember when the Hellblade 2 in-engine teaser dropped.
No ray tracing in it (and running at sub 30fps).
People claimed it looked way too good/realistic to be in-engine.

Then the Unreal Engine 5 Lumen demo dropped.
Its Dynamic lighting, coupled with photogrametry resulted in near convincing photorealism..running at 30fps in a linear environment.
People said: "Wow..why waste power on raytracing when you can use proper dynamic lighting and get visuals like this?"

Fast forward to the Forza Horizon 5 gameplay demo.
It's dynamic lighting coupled with photogrametry results in near convincing photorealism..running at 60fps in an enormous open world environment.
People are now saying: "But where's the ray tracing?"
Hold up now. FH5 doesn't have lighting anywhere near raytracing or lumen. It doesn't have GI in any form close to the two as far as I can see. It seems to be SVOGI.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
And Ratchet doesn't?
We need to appreciate both games, they both look next gen for the type of game they are and they both look much much better than there last gen versions ( older games in the series). Right now 2 of the most talented studios imo, they are putting quality games out in such short time that i applaud them. They deserve all the praise.

Three

Can you travel to all of those places in the BACKGROUND? In Forza you can go any and everywhere essentially. Not just static lighting, static weather, etc. Those shots look good, but it's still about art style vs art style. Technically wise, Forza takes the cake.
Why would this matter even? Wow hitboxes. Much advance.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Now that's Gameplay

The Screenshot he showed was Photo Mode.

It's in-game so a still shot in photomode, that's something different then a "cutscene". It has the same assets so nothing different.

Gameplay with a logo on the right side? its definitly photomode but Forza one is also photomode so it doesn't mather.

```Why are you comparing Ratchet and Clank screenshot cutscenes, vs Forza Horizon 5 Gameplay? Forza Horizon 5 looks next gen```

Everyone above was referring to this. So i'm not wrong...

Last edited:
It's in-game so a still shot in photomode, that's something different then a "cutscene". It has the same assets so nothing different.
Yeah. The Ratchet and Clank comparison is not a fair comparison. You can use the photomode to filter and make it look more cinematic. It's the same with Forza Horizon 5.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Why would this matter even? Wow hitboxes. Much advance.
when you can see this far and have this much detail and draw distance that is far harder to pull then some buildings and plants where you can't see the background because there is nothing behind it and you can't go there.
51245504684_46e65396bb_o.png

51244941553_e234bcb5c0_o.png

you can go anywhere on the map that you see ( if the car allows it lol)
in R&C or any other not open world game the background is just empty or very low quality but you never see it or can't get close enough so you have more power for closer objects.

Yeah. The Ratchet and Clank comparison is not a fair comparison. You can use the photomode to filter and make it look more cinematic. It's the same with Forza Horizon 5.

But it's not like photo mode makes it look next gen while gameplay looks last gen. It doesn't improve the visuals like you think it does. The assets are pretty much the same. Also something that was said in the tech analysis.

But it's not like photo mode makes it look next gen while gameplay looks last gen. It doesn't improve the visuals like you think it does. The assets are pretty much the same. Also something that was said in the tech analysis.
With Photo mode you can focus on one area like Sharpening, Softening, colour intensity, light distance etc… It's unfair to compare Ratchet and Clank Screenshot to Forza Horizon 5 Gameplay.

Three

when you can see this far and have this much detail and draw distance that is far harder to pull then some buildings and plants where you can't see the background because there is nothing behind it and you can't go there.

in R&C or any other not open world game the background is just empty or very low quality but you never see it or can't get close enough so you have more power for closer objects.
This would only be true if the background was a static image. If the models are moving and they are fully modelled what does it matter if you can "go there" other than hitboxes? People are talking about objects on screen. There is far more objects and geometric detail on screen in ratchet in even the places you can go. People who deny that are only deflecting with this 'but can you go there' talk.

With Photo mode you can focus on one area like Sharpening, Softening, colour intensity, light distance etc… It's unfair to compare Ratchet and Clank Screenshot to Forza Horizon 5 Gameplay.
Dude the FH5 shot is also photomode. Stop

Last edited:

You can't make a game look next gen with fotomode. It's not like you triple the quality of the assets with it.

Mozzarella

Not really, I think Microsoft Flight Simulator is. R&C has the pretty colors going for it, but to be best looking to me is not just about making flashy and pretty colors on screen.

Rachet and Clank's photo mode is a game of it's own cause it's so beautiful , i have a hard time advancing in the game cause eveytime i pause the game i can make a million beautiful screenshots.

Galatico91

Ratchet is fucking amazing, the last levels are mind blowing with so mouch stuff happening at the same time:

Also, this gun is fucking amazing.

Some screenshots for you guys, i will put in spoiler in the case someone dot not want to get spoiled:

3c3download2.jpg

2f5download4.jpg

d4download9.jpg

306download10.jpg

728download13.jpg

37adownload15.jpg

d1download5.jpg

726download8.jpg

Last edited:
Game looks pretty much the same during gameplay and fotomode.

Is that what you wanted to show me?
It doesn't look the same during gameplay with the effects added. Completely different to the gameplay. It's like adding effects on Forza Horizon 5 with Ray Tracing in Photo mode and saying this is the actual Gameplay.

Last edited:
It doesn't look the same during gameplay with the effects added. Completely different to the gameplay. It's like adding effects on Forza Horizon 5 with Ray Tracing in Photo mode and saying this is the actual Gameplay.

What visual effects are added?

I don't think the assets will improve or the particles. You can do some things to improve IQ but you can't vastly improve the visuals.

So many people are posting genuine videos and screenshots of gameplay of this game.

Also your still avoiding my question on whether or not you think Ratchet looks next gen.

Last edited:

Galatico91

For the record, the first, second and fifth images i posted is all gameplay, i literally used photomode only to change the camera angle. The others images i messed with the DOF, but this game does not have asset change quality between gameplay and photomode, and the DOF appears in gameplay too when you hold L2 to aim with guns on enemys.

In any openworld game there is a limit to where you can go, it may be further, but "you can go everywhere you see" is marketing B.S., it's not like any modern game loaded the whole world/level at once, they all do dynamic loading in some manner.

The problem with Forza Horison 5 is the lighting, it's off and I can't bring myself to find the game as visually pleasing as the previous iterations.
Forza-Horizon-4-Screenshot-2019.09.08-10.26.26.18-Copy.jpg

45296qahsjn51.jpg

Forza-Horizon-3_1.jpg

It's not that different, not buzzier, etc. It has more dense vegetation and a couple more polygons, but the lighting is definitely not upgraded.

For the record, the first, second and fifth images i posted is all gameplay, i literally used photomode only to change the camera angle. The others images i messed with the DOF, but this game does not have asset change quality between gameplay and photomode, and the DOF appears in gameplay too when you hold L2 to aim with guns on enemys.

Game looks next gen even without fotomode.

What's your thought SoloKingRobert SoloKingRobert ?

Ratchet is fucking amazing, the last levels are mind blowing with so mouch stuff happening at the same time:

Also, this gun is fucking amazing.

Some screenshots for you guys, i will put in spoiler in the case someone dot not want to get spoiled:

3c3download2.jpg

2f5download4.jpg

d4download9.jpg

306download10.jpg

728download13.jpg

37adownload15.jpg

d1download5.jpg

726download8.jpg

It's not even Next Gen. Even Ryse Son of Rome from 2013 looks more next gen on Xbox One, and that's Gameplay, Not Photo mode. Forza Horizon 5 looks more next gen, Xbox E3 Stream was struggling to keep up with the graphics.

I never said that. I said Forza Horizon 5 graphics looks more advanced

No you said it looked worse than an early Xbox One title that started on the 360.

It's not even Next Gen. Even Ryse Son of Rome from 2013 looks more next gen on Xbox One

Last edited:

Sygma

The really remarkable part of Rift apart is that it actually is an actually decent game wrapped as a pure technological showcase, which is a departure from Ryse, The Order, Crysis 3 and so on and so forth

Is it the best looking game ? I dont think anything comes close to it as of right now

Turk1993

This would only be true if the background was a static image. If the models are moving and they are fully modelled what does it matter if you can "go there" other than hitboxes? People are talking about objects on screen. There is far more objects and geometric detail on screen in ratchet in even the places you can go. People who deny that are only deflecting with this 'but can you go there' talk.

Dude the FH5 shot is also photomode. Stop
Look, with R&C you follow a path, everything in the path is high quality but the environments that are little further are little less detailed. But behind those environments there is nothing, they are literally blocking your view to see whats behind because there is nothing so its not rendering something extra in the distance. Here i made a simple graph, so red zones render the high quality assest and orange little les detailed en so it goes. you see after orange (in R&C behind the building or jungle or whatever) there is nothing you cannot see behind it or you cannot go there. But in a open world lets say in Forza Horizon 5, when you are on the highest spot ( the volcano) you can see the end of the map. It need to render all the way back up there because you can see it and you can go there. So the red zones in Forza move, so they need to render those light orane yellow zones. They need to render far more than R&C because at any givin time the player can go there. Thats not the case with R&C, the devs choose what you can see and where you can go.
51255075785_2e6992e98d_o.png

here look how high quality everything, the distance looks little less nice but still great. but behind those rocks isn't anything to render, the rocks are there to hide the background. Its much much shorter range than in Forza.
03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-1..1622563512.jpg

Now lets look at the image in Forza, you can literally see the end of the map and you can go there, its KM's far and still rendered and visible

behind those high quality mountains its stil rendering the map

Three

Look, with R&C you follow a path, everything in the path is high quality but the environments that are little further are little less detailed. But behind those environments there is nothing, they are literally blocking your view to see whats behind because there is nothing so its not rendering something extra in the distance. Here i made a simple graph, so red zones render the high quality assest and orange little les detailed en so it goes. you see after orange (in R&C behind the building or jungle or whatever) there is nothing you cannot see behind it or you cannot go there. But in a open world lets say in Forza Horizon 5, when you are on the highest spot ( the volcano) you can see the end of the map. It need to render all the way back up there because you can see it and you can go there. So the red zones in Forza move, so they need to render those light orane yellow zones. They need to render far more than R&C because at any givin time the player can go there. Thats not the case with R&C, the devs choose what you can see and where you can go.
51255075785_2e6992e98d_o.png

here look how high quality everything, the distance looks little less nice but still great. but behind those rocks isn't anything to render, the rocks are there to hide the background. Its much much shorter range than in Forza.
03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-1..1622563512.jpg

Now lets look at the image in Forza, you can literally see the end of the map and you can go there, its KM's far and still rendered and visible

behind those high quality mountains its stil rendering the map
This simply isn't true though. You can see far into the distance even in your ratchet pic. The only difference you can argue is if it would need to stream high LOD assets when you go there vs low LOD assets when you are far. That's it. It's still drawing and animating those far away details all the same. Ratchet has more objects and animations on screen and countering that with but can you go there is simply a stupid distraction. In a lot of R&C distance shots you actually can 'go there' anyway.

Turk1993

In any openworld game there is a limit to where you can go, it may be further, but "you can go everywhere you see" is marketing B.S., it's not like any modern game loaded the whole world/level at once, they all do dynamic loading in some manner.

The problem with Forza Horison 5 is the lighting, it's off and I can't bring myself to find the game as visually pleasing as the previous iterations.
Forza-Horizon-4-Screenshot-2019.09.08-10.26.26.18-Copy.jpg

45296qahsjn51.jpg

Forza-Horizon-3_1.jpg

It's not that different, not buzzier, etc. It has more dense vegetation and a couple more polygons, but the lighting is definitely not upgraded.
The devs say that they upgraded there lighting and added new volumetric lighting and you say that its not upgraded 🤔 .
Starts at 18:25

Turk1993

This simply isn't true though. You can see far into the distance even in your ratchet pic. The only difference you can argue is if it would need to stream high LOD assets when you go there vs low LOD assets when you are far. That's it. It's still drawing and animating those far away details all the same. Ratchet has more objects and animations on screen and countering that with but can you go there is simply a stupid distraction. In a lot of R&C distance shots you actually can 'go there' anyway.
You can see far but the detail is not the same as the building in front of him, and behind those rocks there is literally nothing its all on rails after some point to get from 1 point to the other. Thats not the case in Forza thats what i mean with you can choose to go anywhere that you can drive obv. And the map is 107km² in size so roughly 10km to 10km, thats much much bigger and you can see far far further than any of the levels in R&C. Also in my second Forza pic there are more environmental detail and alot more foliage than that entire level of R&C, R&C environment is far simpler and smaller.
ZGRiMzgwNjhiOTI5YjA5NGNjMTA2NGJlYjc4NWNlOTc3NzVjOTFhNjY2NGFjMjE4NjkzZWNiZDg5OTYxNmEyOQ==sm.E4AQvrTVkAENLAg.750.jpg

Top Bottom