• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

iorek21

Yes and no.

It's the best looking "cartoonish" game, but not really the best looking of all time, IMO.
The most realistic looking games with great physics will always be ahead of the cartoon games in impressiveness for me. For that reason, I think some games from last gen are still better.

Gotta say though, the animations are breathtaking, Dreamworks level or early Pixar, at the very least.

Chiggs

Gold Member
btatlwc.png

^^^ When you've given up and really have no idea what you're talking about, nor have you even played the game you're critiquing.

I wonder what that CPU is doing. We've just been told how everything is so basic and the engine barely has anything to do.

I went from a 3900x to a 5950x and the performance increase was just incredible.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
The far-away natural environments (especially the mountains) have nice photogramattery, but it also has a lot of low-quality assets and textures in other areas.

The game looks very, very good (I'm not knocking it down), but R&C: Rift Apart, on the other hand, has just super high-quality assets through and through. Everything is super detailed, which gives it a definite edge.

Here are some screenshots from Forza for reference. Look at the muddled wall textures, low-poly assets (buildings, chairs), low-poly crowd, low-quality tesselation, etc. Again, to clarify, Forza looks very pretty (better than most games out there), but it has cut corners in multiple areas. That's not the case with R&C.
WTF is this man come on, blurred and zoomed youtube footage with tons of motion blur really? I can post screens of bad looking areas of R&C without all the blur and compression in gameplay, and you can see if its cuts corners or not.
soluce-ratchet-clank-rift-apart-sargasso-boulon-2.jpg

soluce-ratchet-clank-rift-apart-sargasso-boulon-1-3.jpg

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_Savali-lorb-8-location.jpg

03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-6..1622563909.jpg

03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-2..1622563768.jpg

and some of you are saying that it looks a gen better than Forza :messenger_tears_of_joy: (its still the greatest looking animated game ever)

WTF is this man come on, blurred and zoomed youtube footage with tons of motion blur really? I can post screens of bad looking areas of R&C without all the blur and compression in gameplay, and you can see if its cuts corners or not.

and some of you are saying that it looks a gen better than Forza :messenger_tears_of_joy: (its still the greatest looking animated game ever)
Some people love to cherry pick, while forgetting it can be used right back at them.

GymWolf

Can you travel to all of those places in the BACKGROUND? In Forza you can go any and everywhere essentially. Not just static lighting, static weather, etc. Those shots look good, but it's still about art style vs art style. Technically wise, Forza takes the cake.
You usually go around those levels but sure, you can't reach every single angle that you see, i give you that.

But still, even the supposed tech experts like DF, NX and that blonde guy who worked on BF who does videos on his channel are all impressed with the quantity of geometry on screen in ratchet, it must impressive on a certain level to get all the praises.

You usually go around those levels but sure, you can't reach every single angle that you see, i give you that.

But still, even the supposed tech experts like DF, NX and that blonde guy who worked on BF who does videos on his channel are all impressed with the quantity of geometry on screen in ratchet, it must impressive on a certain level to get all the praises.
It definitely deserves it's praise. No one can ever find a quote of me saying otherwise. I wouldn't care if R&C was PC exclusive, and Forza Horizon 5 and FS2020 were ps5 exclusive, my answer would be the same. From a technical standpoint, they would have the upper edge in this comparison.

Renozokii

Matter of preference really but to me National Geographic > Pixar.

Even on my aging PC flying over Paris and being able to recognize streets and individual buildings is an out of this world experience.
I can do the same on google earth though. Surely there is one of the dumber points? If a dev just literally photo scanned in a single room but made it borderline true to life with amazing lighting and ray tracing and released it as a playable game where you walk around in the room, that wouldn’t be paraded around as the best looking game?

I can do the same on google earth though. Surely there is one of the dumber points? If a dev just literally photo scanned in a single room but made it borderline true to life with amazing lighting and ray tracing and released it as a playable game where you walk around in the room, that wouldn’t be paraded around as the best looking game?
Is the room scaled to the size of the entire world? With millions of miles of scenery and what not? If not, that is a very poor example to compare.

Just because you might not like something, doesn't mean to go blind and negate the technological advancements no other game has done to date.

ZywyPL

Banned

Close the thread, bury the bodies, we're done here.

Last edited:

Renozokii

Is the room scaled to the size of the entire world? With millions of miles of scenery and what not? If not, that is a very poor example to compare.

Just because you might not like something, doesn't mean to go blind and negate the technological advancements no other game has done to date.
No but the room has about just as much interactivity.

it’s such nonsense to downplay the absolute love and care that went into ratchet and clank to a point where it beats out some Pixar films visually in comparison to a game that made earth, but boring. Do the buildings in flight simulator even have a crack texture on them when you crash?

No but the room has about just as much interactivity.

it’s such nonsense to downplay the absolute love and care that went into ratchet and clank to a point where it beats out some Pixar films visually in comparison to a game that made earth, but boring. Do the buildings in flight simulator even have a crack texture on them when you crash?
So in other words, based on your emotions, you feel R&C is a more technical feat than FS2020!?!? Beats Pixar films visually?! Ok now you are going way overboard right now. Let's put the feelings aside man.

One game looks great but doesn't push technical boundaries. The other game looks great and pushes technical boundaries.

Markio128

I think Forza H 5 and Flight Sim look stunning, but they are a completely different genre to R&C and it is tough to compare. That’s why I don’t think there can ever be a best looking game because it is incredibly subjective and highly dependant on your favourite game type. Still, considering R&C uses RT and has so many enemies and particles on screen at any time - not to mention the immediate dimension shifts, puts it in a league of its own in the action genre.

Synless

So in other words, based on your emotions, you feel R&C is a more technical feat than FS2020!?!? Beats Pixar films visually?! Ok now you are going way overboard right now. Let's put the feelings aside man.

One game looks great but doesn't push technical boundaries. The other game looks great and pushes technical boundaries.
Which game, in your opinion is pushing technical boundries?

SoraNoKuni

It is, but it's an exclusive, there is no way that "certain" people are gonna admit that.

It's not a photorealistic game though.

kiphalfton

The lolz

It depends. I won't mind paying that as I need one for my personal work anyway and I've been putting off a new build for some years now. I've upgraded as much as I feel I can and really, really need a new build. Once you put in max ram, fancy GPU, fastest CPU your board can handle etc, its time to get that new motherboard and make an new build. I was planning to keep a few parts, but I see almost no point as I need a new CPU for the new motherboard, faster ram for the new GPU, I'm not using my old power supply on the new build etc.

I lied, I'll keep my bluray/dvd player and some fans.

$1200 is actually not THAT bad for my situation, but I would never recommend such a thing for gamers. I just happen to be in a situation where I do need one and playing games can be nice, but if that wasn't the case, I would not see myself legit spending that much on 1 system just to game. Now days, everything AAA is pretty much coming to console, like 99%.
I built a second PC, not really keeping track of price since I thought I did pretty well getting deals. Next thing I know I actually tally it up and it was like $1800. The Mobo, PSU, storage, and case prices add up. For some reason there's a disconnect in my mind, versus reality, that it doesn't cost very much.

Which game, in your opinion is pushing technical boundries?
They like to say FS2020 because it brings pretty powerful PCs to their knees...

It's still annoying that we have to argue graphics with a bunch of people who think Halo Infinite is acceptable in terms of looks as a marquee title this year.

Renozokii

Best looking games aren’t and shouldn’t be purely based off of sheer likeness to reality at a distance ignoring lighting and any other effects you expect. That’s ridiculous. Flight simulators world is entirely static, lighting looks off, and the closer you look at any particular building or texture the worse it looks. Ratchet and clank competes with some of the best looking cgi animated films to date.

Using this argument cuphead and ori are both worse visually than shadow complex. Or the last of us 2 looks worse than resident evil 8 because resident evil 8 has photo scanned in textures for much of the interiors. Are racing games the default best looking games of any gen because they can afford to put immense attention to the cars and the environments look good driving at 200 mph?

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Ratchet and Clank Achieves what its trying to do better than other games. Its by far the best looking most densely packed cartoonish game ever. Similar games with similar art styles are not close. It is not the most realistic looking game ever nor does it try to be. Owning Flight Simulator and Ratchet and Clank (Seeing as were comparing apples and oranges) Ratchet more closely simulates cartoon animation than flight simulator simulates photo realism. Flying low a lot of things lose their luster. Both are incredible for what they are attempting to do but they are both attempting different things.

Best looking games aren’t and shouldn’t be purely based off of sheer likeness to reality at a distance ignoring lighting and any other effects you expect. That’s ridiculous. Flight simulators world is entirely static, lighting looks off, and the closer you look at any particular building or texture the worse it looks. Ratchet and clank competes with some of the best looking cgi animated films to date.

Using this argument cuphead and ori are both worse visually than shadow complex. Or the last of us 2 looks worse than resident evil 8 because resident evil 8 has photo scanned in textures for much of the interiors. Are racing games the default best looking games of any gen because they can afford to put immense attention to the cars and the environments look good driving at 200 mph?
Ok let's say FS2020 was cell shaded, cartoonish or whatever you prefer. There are no other games doing scale like it at the moment. R&C isn't the first to have transversal or teleportation between worlds. There is Titanfall, The Medium, etc that have done this. Maybe not to the quality of R&C, but it's not like they are doing anything new or first of it's time.

Art style is subjective, the technology behind things are objective.

Last edited:
It definitely deserves it's praise. No one can ever find a quote of me saying otherwise. I wouldn't care if R&C was PC exclusive, and Forza Horizon 5 and FS2020 were ps5 exclusive, my answer would be the same. From a technical standpoint, they would have the upper edge in this comparison.
Ok, so your comparing a game that is already out to a racing game that is not even out yet!?

SirTerry-T

Not when it comes to physics though. I would expect a flight simulator from 2021 to have accuarate water landing physics and overall interaction with water, crashes, etc. But hey, if it's about static visuals, looks as great as a postcard, but games are more than still pictures.

You want better crashes in the new Flight simulator game?
Tech talk aside, you are aware why MS Flight Simulator wasn't developed for a long time, right?

Last edited:
Ok, so your comparing a game that is already out to a racing game that is not even out yet!?
What a weird take

One game is out, and is more of a technical feat than the one that is coming out in September.

Were people not praising and claiming R&C is the best looking game, weeks, months, and almost a year before it released?

Renozokii

Ok let's say FS2020 was cell shaded, cartoonish or whatever you prefer. There are no other games doing scale like it at the moment. R&C isn't the first to have transversal or teleportation between worlds. There is Titanfall, The Medium, etc that have done this. Maybe not to the quality of R&C, but it's not like they are doing anything new or first of it's time.

Art style is subjective, the technology behind things are objective.
Not talking about art style ffs. I’m saying flight simulator only looks good in its scale. Nowhere else.

Ratchet and clank beats it, and not by a little, but severely in:

Lighting, textures, fluid and moving environments, interactive environment, animation, ray tracing, and variety of environments.

You fly a plane in flight simulator through, yes a scaled earth, but an earth that is entirely static, textured poorly, with mediocre and static lighting.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's certainly the best looking game made to look like a cartoon. The visual fidelity really could pass for a film.

Comparing it to, say, Flight Simulator, or even The Last of Us 2 is kind of apples and oranges. But it nails what it's going for perfectly.

What a weird take

One game is out, and is more of a technical feat than the one that is coming out in September.

Were people not praising and claiming R&C is the best looking game, weeks, months, and almost a year before it released?
Yeah but your still comparing apples and oranges! I would say Forza Horizon is the best looking racing game i've seen , but comparing it to a game that actually has pixar like animation and lighting and a whole bunch of shit on screen at once to a game your just driving and looking at sceneries is very different !

Not talking about art style ffs. I’m saying flight simulator only looks good in its scale. Nowhere else.

Ratchet and clank beats it, and not by a little, but severely in:

Lighting, textures, fluid and moving environments, interactive environment, animation, ray tracing, and variety of environments.

You fly a plane in flight simulator through, yes a scaled earth, but an earth that is entirely static, textured poorly, with mediocre and static lighting.
Let's pull your emotions side, a bunch of that is false. Lighting wise? You think so? The sky in R&C is static as fuck, no weather systems, and variety of environments? They are all static. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not make up shit now.

They are two different art styles, but only one is truly pushing some next gen tech that has never been done before. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's true.

Renozokii

Let's pull your emotions side, a bunch of that is false. Lighting wise? You think so? The sky in R&C is static as fuck, no weather systems, and variety of environments? They are all static. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not make up shit now.

They are two different art styles, but only one is truly pushing some next gen tech that has never been done before. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's true.
What are you talking about? Did I dismantle your garbage argument enough for you to start making shit up? Water reacts to you, objects and vegetation react to you, things are constantly moving in the back ground, entire environments change as the game progresses, there are tons of particle effects flying constantly, the sky is definitely not static (you clearly haven’t watched or played the game), and there all sorts of npcs and wild life scattered around all modeled beautifully. How can you even compare the lighting? Have you seen the screenshots posted here? Flight simulator looks flat as a board.

You keep saying art style but every individual thing, effect, and animation in ratchet blow those in flight simulator out of the water. Even those that look realistic such as water, trees, and ground textures eclipse it.

Simply saying flight simulator does something more impressive doesn’t make it true across the board. Do you know why no other devs have went about recreating the earth? Because a flight simulator is about the only game imaginable where it makes even a shred of sense.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Can you stop going personal on people if they don't agree with you? Don't try to turn your opinions into facts. You come across as rather arrogant.

It looks like it hurts your feelings more dude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom