• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Star Trek episode? (Any series)

Davey Cakes

DS9 - Hard Time

The entire concept of that sort of imprisonment is brutal yet...ethical in a way considering the actual time the physical body is locked down. Making it O'Brien-centric was just icing on the cake. I guess being somewhat like "The Inner Light" helped.

Shoeless

DS9 - Hard Time

The entire concept of that sort of imprisonment is brutal yet...ethical in a way considering the actual time the physical body is locked down. Making it O'Brien-centric was just icing on the cake. I guess being somewhat like "The Inner Light" helped.

Man, what the hell did DS9 have against O'Brien anyway? That dude got worked over but good during that series.

Man, what the hell did DS9 have against O'Brien anyway? That dude got worked over but good during that series.

Yet he was still happier than on the Enterprise, from which we get the O'Brien At Work comic. XD

Why has nobody mentioned Chain of Command? I think I have the right episode name, the four lights bit?

Window

I've only really seen TNG but I came in here to say The Inner Light as well. Probably the most emotionally affecting episode of TNG where it gets away from all the sci-fi techno babble, narrow thought experiments and politics.

watership

TOS
The Doomsday Machine
Mirror Mirror
Balance of Terror
Amok Time

TNG
Darmok
Best of Both Worlds
The Inner Light

DS9 (far too many)
Duet
One little Ship
The Wire
Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast
Necessary Evil
The Siege of AR-558
Call to Arms
A Time to Stand / Rocks and Shoals / Sons and Daughters / Behind the Lines / Favor the Bold / Sacrifice of Angels
Homefront / Paradise Lost
The Visitor
Far Beyond The Stars
In the Pale Moon light

And I'm skipping a bunch here. DS9 episodes really have stood the test of time.

VOY
Blink of an Eye
Scorpion

ENT
E2

valiant10.jpg

Valiant (DS9) - Where Nog and Jake end up on the titular ship that is crewed only with cadets.

Holy shit. Valiant? Lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Star Trek is my favorite. I can't do five. Here's twenty.

20. VOY: "Timeless"
Harry Kim has had it rough. For twenty-odd years, he's regretted the mistake that caused Voyager to crash (in a spectacular VFX display) down into an icy world. Now, he and Chakotay are going to make it right, no matter the cost. Voyager had so many good "what if?" scenarios, and "Timeless" was its best.

19. TNG: "All Good Things..."
Although it gets a touch too technobabbly in a couple of scenes, there's no mistaking TNG's finale for anything less than powerful. A terrific send-off to the best crew of any Enterprise.

18. TNG: "The Inner Light"
Come on, now. Essays have been written on this one.

17. TOS: "Mirror, Mirror"
Doubles! Evil doubles! Oh no! And yet, "Mirror" is a phenomenal case study in divergent societies and how easy it can be to take too many steps in shady directions.

16. DS9: "Waltz"
A stunning performance from an insane, self-righteous Dukat pivots Marc Alaimo even higher into the stratosphere of Trek's best actors and further secures his character's status as the best villain in the franchise.

15. DS9: "The Wire"
Garak's mental state unravels, leaving Bashir to learn the truth -- after a fashion -- about his friend. Three separate stories are told, each with facets of the man's past, each embellished out of insecurity.

14. ENT: "Azati Prime"
The damaged NX-01 and her beleaguered crew finally reach the Xindi homeworld in this tense chapter of a remarkably gritty serialized stretch. Alliances are forged, betrayals erupt, and the action doesn't let up.

13. VOY: "Someone to Watch Over Me"
Seven and The Doctor play sing-along together in a profoundly moving episode about two characters exploring their humanity at the edge of the final frontier.

12. TNG: "Redemption"
The Klingon Civil War erupts, testing Worf, Picard, and audiences everywhere.

11. VOY: "Living Witness"
The Doctor awakens hundreds of years into a planner's future, and quickly discovers they have the wrong idea about Voyager's crew. The misinterpretations are both funny and unsettling, and Doc's bid to set the record straight turns into a fascinating morality play.

10. ENT: "Kir'Shara"
Enterprise's best episode is the conclusion to the Vulcan reformation trilogy. Archer and T'Pol uncover an artifact that will change the storied world, as a Romulan agent scrambles to stop them.

09. TOS: "Journey to Babel"
Speaking of Vulcan, my favorite TOS episode is responsible for expanding the world's lore in a plethora of ways.

08. DS9: "Sacrifice of Angels"
The occupation arc was a seven-parter. Nowadays, this might not sound so special, but in 1997-98, it was nothing short of sensational. Especially if you were like me -- a kid of ten who couldn't get any closer to the TV when Trek was on if his life depended on it. The arc's success helped usher in "The Final Chapter", the ten-hour finale arc, a year later. "Sacrifice" is the climax to the occupation arc, and it's a damned good one.

07. VOY: "Year of Hell"
The crew go up against the time-shifting Krenim, taking heavy losses and uniting with various races in a war-torn sector. A year passes, and drama ensues. Despite the reset button ending, "Year of Hell" is prime Voyager. (Or perhaps it is prime Voyager because of it.)

06. DS9: "Take Me Out to the Holosuite"
Trek's best comedy. The DS9 crew exchange their uniforms for jerseys in a baseball match against an old school-days rival of Sisko's. The well-oiled ensemble cast delivers a pitch-perfect dose of cast chemistry the whole way through.

05. TNG: "Chain of Command"
Picard is kidnapped by a Cardassian with a terrifying sense of torture. Even without the ties to my favorite television series, "Chain" would win me over big-time; the atmosphere is outstanding from start to finish.

04. DS9: "Tacking Into the Wind"
Worf's eleven-year arc comes to a head as he challenges Gowron and reshapes Klingon history; Kira's full-circle alliance with old enemies takes a sharp, desperate turn. "The Final Chapter" was DS9 on all cylinders, and "Tacking" is objectively the best segment.

03. DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight"
Sisko's framing device is among the best media's ever achieved. The tension is palpable as one man learns to live with his own broken conscience. Desperate times, desperate measures. All's fair in war.

02. TNG: "The Offspring"
Data creates a daughter, Lal. Her actress brilliantly plays the young woman's earnest naivety, and the ending sends tears streaming down my face every time, without fail.

01. DS9: "What You Leave Behind"
It isn't flawless, but DS9's series finale wins me on all fronts thanks to an intensely effective barrage of emotionally resonant scenes. The montage, Odo in a suit, Kassidy and Ben in the Prophets' realm. Kira and Jake and the final camera fade. I shake just thinking about it. Sure, they kind of botched some spots, but the catharsis is real.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
From past Trek appreciation threads:

Films:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

TNG:
My top 5 list. Contains quotes. If you don't want to read the quotes:
1.) The Inner Light
2.) Darmok
3.) Tapestry
4.) All Good Things...
5.) Measure of a Man
My 6-10 List. Contains Quotes.
6.) Chain of Command, Part 2
7.) Best of Both Worlds, Part 1
8.) Sarek
9.) The Defector
10.) The Drumhead

DS9:
Progress - Quiet little tale I have a soft spot for.
Duet - A powerhouse two-person chamber piece.
Necessary Evil - Hardboiled detective noir done to perfection.
Crossover - Delicious and terrifying camp.
Improbable Cause - Nothing but witty dialogue and mindblowing revelations.
The Visitor - Bawling.
Homefront - Watch this and remember it was written in 1996.
Trials and Tribble-ations - Fun romp, brilliant production values, lovely tribute.
Far Beyond the Stars - "Calm never got me a damn thing!"
In the Pale Moonlight - Character piece that shakes the foundation of the entire franchise.
Tacking Into the Wind - Nothing but payoff for a season long arc with some of the best scenes in the series.

I don't like TOS, Voyager, or Enterprise enough to have favourite episodes really.

jb1234

TOS: City on the Edge of Forever - A classic.
TNG: The Inner Light - Can't watch it without crying. Patrick Stewart is amazing.
DS9: The Visitor - All the tears.
VOY: Timeless - Riveting sci-fi and Garrett Wang's best performance. I almost wanted bitter future Harry Kim to stick around.
ENT: The Cogenitor - Enterprise was an uneven show but this was probably their best allegorical episode, with a chilling ending.

I get violently angry if I catch clips of Drumhead. I hate that episode. It's fantastic, but I want to punch half the people in it.

TNG:
Measure of a Man
Darmok
Sub Rosa Chain of Command

DS9:
In the Pale Moonlight
Apocalypse Rising
House of Quark

Voyager:
Critical Care
Workforce
can't really think of a third episode that really stood out to me

Enterprise:
basically anything with the Andorians in it

I don't remember too much of TOS to comment on it.

I could probably write a bit more on my picks and why I picked them. Maybe if someone wants to hear my reasoning.

Slightly surprised I'll be the first to say it, but alright:
Pathfinder

Like many things I consider a 'favourite' in their respective categories, this is not what I would strictly consider the best episode of Star Trek by any metric. It is not a tense political thriller. It is not a deep, considered examination of a moral quandary. It can't claim to be character focus episode for one of its regular cast, though it does make use of a franchise fan favourite.

But, it is my absolute favourite episode of Star Trek, embodying the hope and optimism of its future like little else in the franchise. Remarkably, it is an episode without a villain, only men (and one woman) trying to do the right thing, with scarcely a shade of grey to be found. There are simply problems to be solved, both personal, and scientific. And of course, it ends up culminating in the scene that perhaps most marked Voyager's shift as a show, the emotion palpable, coupled with a perfect score, and a damned fine payoff after so long a wait. From this point on, it is no longer a question of whether or not Voyager will get home; it's when. It is the smallest of victories, and yet so resounding a triumph.

There's a bunch of Voyager episodes I have a fondness for but liking the show itself is a bridge too far here and throughout the trek community so I'll refrain from posting them.

The most recent one from another series I can remember really liking was in DS9, the episode "The Siege of AR-558".

320x240.jpg

The thing I loved about DS9 was that it wasnt afraid to call humanity out on its BS. Yes we have improved from our more violent past, but its still in us.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The thing I loved about DS9 was that it wasnt afraid to call humanity out on its BS. Yes we have improved from our more violent past, but its still in us.

Yep. It believed in humanity, but it wasn't afraid to say things like "it's easy to be a saint in paradise." From the Maquis to the Federation itself, we saw that Earth's people have come a long way but we aren't perfect by any definition. We're still human.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What ever that episode was called where sisko gets lost in time and ends up visiting his son briefly throughout his life. That episode just pulled all the heart strings for me. Left a huge impression.

I am going to do it from series to series, however I really have not watch much of TOS, so I'm not listing any from that.

TNG:

Best of Both Worlds 1 and 2
Inner Light
The Measure of a Man
Timescape

DS9:

In the Pale Moonlight
Sacrifice of Angels
Duet
Trials and Tribble-ations

Voyager:

Year of Hell 1 and 2
Shattered
Blink of an Eye
Scorpion 1 and 2

Enterprise:

Twilight
Azati Prime
Regeneration
Zero Hour

jb1234

Slightly surprised I'll be the first to say it, but alright:
Pathfinder

Like many things I consider a 'favourite' in their respective categories, this is not what I would strictly consider the best episode of Star Trek by any metric. It is not a tense political thriller. It is not a deep, considered examination of a moral quandary. It can't claim to be character focus episode for one of its regular cast, though it does make use of a franchise fan favourite.

But, it is my absolute favourite episode of Star Trek, embodying the hope and optimism of its future like little else in the franchise. Remarkably, it is an episode without a villain, only men (and one woman) trying to do the right thing, with scarcely a shade of grey to be found. There are simply problems to be solved, both personal, and scientific. And of course, it ends up culminating in the scene that perhaps most marked Voyager's shift as a show, the emotion palpable, coupled with a perfect score, and a damned fine payoff after so long a wait. From this point on, it is no longer a question of whether or not Voyager will get home; it's when. It is the smallest of victories, and yet so resounding a triumph.

Pathfinder is great. I would have included it in a top 5 (along with Living Witness, Drone, Someone to Watch Over Me and Scorpion Part I). Voyager had more excellent episodes than people often give it credit for.

It's a joke. :p Sub Rosa is terrible.
Oh, I feel better.
I really like Shran in Enterprise. It's not just that it's fun to see Jeffrey Combs again, but Shran is an interesting character. And the Andorians seem like a really interesting species that gets dumped on because the makeup is too extensive. Can we get over Klingons already?
What ever that episode was called where sisko gets lost in time and ends up visiting his son briefly throughout his life. That episode just pulled all the heart strings for me. Left a huge impression.

The Visitor. It's the one everyone is saying they cry over.

Except me. I might be broken, or maybe it's because I'm not a parent.

Oh, I feel better.
I really like Shran in Enterprise. It's not just that it's fun to see Jeffrey Combs again, but Shran is an interesting character. And the Andorians seem like a really interesting species that gets dumped on because the makeup is too extensive. Can we get over Klingons already?

Yup that's why I listed any episode with Shran in my top eps for ENT lol They seem more interesting to me than the Romulans who are just mean vulcans. Hopefully we see them again in Discovery.

All these listings make me want to rewatch TNG again lol

Yup that's why I listed any episode with Shran in my top eps for ENT lol They seem more interesting to me than the Romulans who are just mean vulcans. Hopefully we see them again in Discovery.

All these listings make me want to rewatch TNG again lol

Vulcans in ENT were pretty mean themselves lol.

But I like romulans too. Anything over Klingons. I swear, they get more an more like the Code of Honor people, and NOBODY thinks that episode was acceptable.

flyover

13. VOY: "Someone to Watch Over Me"
Seven and The Doctor play sing-along together in a profoundly moving episode about two characters exploring their humanity at the edge of the final frontier.
Yes! God, I love this episode. I might pick a different one if you asked me tomorrow. But tonight, I pick this--and I think I'm going to watch it again right now.

The crew go up against the time-shifting Krenim, taking heavy losses and uniting with various races in a war-torn sector. A year passes, and drama ensues. Despite the reset button ending, "Year of Hell" is prime Voyager. (Or perhaps it is prime Voyager because of it.)

It's this one for me too.

Course: Oblivion is interesting because we only see the real crew for 15 seconds at the end of the episode. We had been watching the Silver Blood from the Demon class planet Voyager visited. They copied the Voyager crew so well they didn't realize they weren't the original Voyager.

It's a good examination of identity. They had an opportunity to land on a Demon class planet but they'd have to destroy another ship to do so. They weren't really Starfleet, but they chose to forgo salvation because not doing so would violate their oaths as Starfleet officers.

In the ebd, all efforts to reach the real Voyager fail. Their mission log probe blows up so nobody will know about what the Silver Blood crew accomplished. The only evidence they ever existed is stated in Jane ways report.

"Enter into the ships log: We received a distress call at 0900 hours... arrived at the vessel's last known coordinates at 2120. The ship was destroyed. Cause unknown. No survivors."

It's this one for me too.

Just sucks it took a reset button for the show to take an actual risk.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I watched this again a year or so ago and the way Red Squad commanded the ship is basically Star Trek 2009 logic.

Yeah, the Valiant is the realistic depiction of Trek 2009: Everyone dying horribly due to impulsive decisions and inexperience.

BorkBork and watership are two of my favorite GAFfers now, tbh.

I'll happily take that from someone with a Colonel Kira avatar.

Best part is that Quark, a member of a species Roddenberry created to portray humanity's ills, points that out.

Alucard725

Neo Member
Yesterday's Enterprise - TNG
In the Pale Moonlight - DS9
Year of Hell - VOY
Best of Both Worlds - TNG
Magnificent Ferengi - DS9
The Changing Face of Evil - DS9

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know every episode that everyone has posted in this thread so far, and there are some good ones. I could list 40 of my favorite across all of the shows right off the top of my head, but if I had to pick ONE favorite episode, one ultimate that I've probably seen more than any other, it would be Yesterday's Enterprise from TNG. It just feels so epic, even today still.

960.jpg

"That will be the day!!!!"

There's a bunch of Voyager episodes I have a fondness for but liking the show itself is a bridge too far here and throughout the trek community so I'll refrain from posting them.

Dude that's just silly. Voyager might not have been the best Trek series but it did have some great episodes. Go ahead.

phaonaut

I really liked Picards reaction at the end of The Outcast.

Picard : "Is our business here finished..."

Riker : "Finished, sir"

really long beat

Picard: "very well" (softly)

camera stays on a stone faced riker for an uncomfortable amount of time

Top Bottom