• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Some people in here...

Everyone should read All Yesterdays.

I am thrilled to see someone talking about this book besides me!

All-Yesterdays-John-Conway-sleepy-Stan-600-px-tiny-Darren-Naish-Tetrapod-Zoology.jpg

21c7d898e15464ccaef90f93d49a36d8.jpg

therizinosaurus.jpg

all-yesterdays-leaellynasaura-tail-flaggers.jpeg

For anyone unfamiliar with the book, neither the paleoartist nor the authors are claiming that these dinosaurs did look this way - only that these speculations aren't contradicted by the evidence that we have from the skeletons.

I think the illustrations of modern animals purely from the skeletons using the same conservatism as is applied to dinosaurs is even more striking than the speculations on what dinosaurs could have looked like:

enhanced-919-1435010051-16.jpg

;)

Neat, I love discoveries like this. But it makes me wonder why something like this hasn't been found sooner?

why do people hate dinosaur feathers exactly?

Ruined childhood's.

jurassic-world-sound-raptors.jpg

We need Speilberg to "George Lucas" those Raptors.

RaptorFeather_FEAT.jpg

They did explain that these dinosaurs were cloned by splicing together frog DNA with Dinosaur DNA, so they are not actually accurate to real dinosaurs, and in their own way are an entirely new species that were created by man. There is still a lot of room for the Jurassic Park to introduce feathered dinosaurs with the reptilian ones.

StoneFox

"Ugh, why are you making the tiger orange?! There's no way that is good camouflage in the jungle! I saw a tiger in a movie once and it was all black and that makes more sense!"

What feather-deniers sound like to me :p if we colored a tiger's fur from its skeleton alone, no one would make it orange. And then if we got solid evidence that it WAS orange people would lose their shit for some reason. "muh childhood!"

Alienfan

The first successful live action movie to incorporate feathered dinosaurs is going to make billions from merch. You basically have a chance to reinvent the classic dinosaur design, and trademark it. Assuming those designs catch on, people will essentially associate dinosaurs with your movie, like what happened with Jurassic Park to an extent.

Circinus

What is going on with the constant barrage of low-brow knee-jerk emotional replies to new scientific findings about dinosaurs? Do people find it shocking that our knowledge on certain subjects changes, evolves and/or expands..?

Ruined childhood's.

How does this ruin someone's childhood?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Breaking news: scientists AKA flip-floppers change their minds again. They change their minds more than the weather. One day global warming, the next dat global cooling.

Circinus

If you were one of those '90s kids, you would understand.

I am. I grew up with a big interest in dinosaurs at some point. I read various books about dinosaurs, I loved collecting those dinosaur woodcraft kits/puzzles and dinosaur digging kits, I watched the Jurassic Park films, I watched the Disney CGI movie 'Dinosaur', watched various documentaries about dinosaurs, I went to the museum of natural sciences in Brussels (where they have iguanodon skeletons) etc etc.

I don't see how recent findings about dinosaurs affects my childhood. If anything, I find it exciting and it rekindles my fascination for these prehistoric animals from a different angle.

Is my childhood also ruined because black pete (from Sinterklaas tradition) is being changed into chimney soot pete? No, not at all, it doesn't affect my memories or something and I think chimney soot pete makes much more sense this way both from the perspective of the tradition (because the story when I grew up was that they were black from the soot of chimneys because they went through chimneys to deliver presents) going and of course because this way the character is portrayed in a more considerate way.

The problem is, in this era where people voted for Trump and are denying climate change, it's getting hard to tell who's being sarcastic and who's being serious.

I am. I grew up with a big interest in dinosaurs at some point. I read various books about dinosaurs, I loved collecting those dinosaur woodcraft kits/puzzles and dinosaur digging kits, I watched the Jurassic Park films, I watched the Disney CGI movie 'Dinosaur', watched various documentaries about dinosaurs, I went to the museum of natural sciences in Brussels (where they have iguanodon skeletons) etc etc.

I don't see how recent findings about dinosaurs affects my childhood. If anything, I find it exciting and it rekindles my fascination for these prehistoric animals from a different angle.

I agree with this. I find it all fascinating too that we are getting closer to seeing what Dinosaurs could have actually looked like.I was mostly in my teens during the '90s, and I like the idea that we are still learning things about these creatures.

It has been perceived for decades that Dinosaurs have been reptilian by many different sources including toys/ merchandise, books, movies, media, etc. The recent theory that bipedal dinosaurs had features and are closer to birds could be a bit disheartening for some who grew up to believe otherwise.

Asbel

Great Horned Owls can get up to 25 inches in body length. I've seen one that large, up close. It had been hit by a car. That bird could have messed up anyone. Huge talons, driven by a nearly 5 foot wingspan.

Eagles can grab all kinds of stuff. Golden eagles are particularly large and can take small goats, dogs, human babies, cats, etc. I mean actually grab them and fly away.

But eagles don't necessarily have to fly away, and neither do other birds of prey. If they feel up to it, they will just swoop in and talon their target and then land and hop over to finish the job. I watched an bald eagle get one of our chickens, that way. He swooped in and tackled it. Flipped it over to expose its belly, and then split it from head to toe, with a single talon swipe. Ate the whole chicken in a couple of bites. Maybe 8 seconds.

*and here are some golden eagles, dropping goats off cliffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9IJGm_PTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WroMlDqTRs

Harpy eagle takes a Sloth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMmQBiU1Ls
Holy shit! That second video had the eagle ride that goat rodeo style over a minute down a fucking mountain! Eagle just wouldn't let go. Video proves eagle could easily fuck up any human.

Peltz

Ruined childhood's.

As a child, (this was probably 20 years ago now) I went to the Museum of Natural History in NYC and they had an exhibit showing that some dinosaurs may have had feathers because they share so much of their anatomy with birds. This discovery is big, but hardly outside scientific hypotheses that have existed for a while.

kewlmyc

I honestly liked the explanation the movie gave as to why their dinosaurs didn't have feathers. Being that they were creating what people wanted to see not so much the reality of things.

Yeah, I really liked that little bit of throwaway dialogue to explain themselves. Not even being sarcastic, I actually liked it. Made the whole park feel more heavily corporate lead than science lead.

Only vaguely related to this, but the Beasts of the Mesozoic raptor series now has their store open to all: https://beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I backed this and have been following the updates. They look *amazing*, can't wait to get my hands on one.
Ah, thanks for this--I remember seeing the Kickstarter, but didn't have the money to back it all at the time and lost track of it. Definitely have to pick one of these bad boys up. But which one~ Oh god, they all look so good~ :D Will probably settle on the Pyroraptor (normal variant) but they all look amazing, yeah. ^^

Dinosaur truthers/Jurassic Park fanatics stay losing :D

Is my childhood also ruined because black pete (from Sinterklaas tradition) is being changed into chimney soot pete? No, not at all, it doesn't affect my memories or something and I think chimney soot pete makes much more sense this way both from the perspective of the tradition (because the story when I grew up was that they were black from the soot of chimneys because they went through chimneys to deliver presents) going and of course because this way the character is portrayed in a more considerate way.

It just means you grew up instead of many who stick to their childhood very stubbornly aka manchildren.

Toa TAK

Banned
Dinosaur truthers/Jurassic Park fanatics stay losing :D

It just means you grew up instead of many who stick to their childhood very stubbornly aka manchildren.
That's a good post. Misread it a first. But he's on it.

How many people who loved dinosaurs after watching Jurassic Park bothered to really learn about them? Feathers aren't a recent discovery.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's a good post. Misread it a first. But he's on it.

How many people who loved dinosaurs after watching Jurassic Park bothered to really learn about them? Feathers aren't a recent discovery.

Same people who bought Dalmatians after 101 Dalmatians and later letting them be euthanized or sheltered

televator

The problem is, in this era where people voted for Trump and are denying climate change, it's getting hard to tell who's being sarcastic and who's being serious.

It's a feedback loop, in some sense. It gets to the point where parody is no different than the real thing. I say people should drop the act.

Science denialism is a serious problem.

Shengar

People that keep saying feather on dinosaurs makes them basically giant chicken must never seen Cassowary before.

Or heck, some species of chicken are so vicious that they try to attack you right away. They used to scare me as a child.

Amalthea

Banned
People that keep saying feather on dinosaurs makes them basically giant chicken must never seen Cassowary before.

Or heck, some species of chicken are so vicious that they try to attack you right away. They used to scare me as a child.
Geese and swans can be aggressive as hell.

When I was a child a farm in the neighbourhood had an especially angry goose. I always had to be on my toes around that farmground as the fucker would chase after anyone that pissed him slightly off. It feels absolutely terrifying when a large bird claws itself into your back and bites your neck. And it hurts a lot of course.

EDIT: The wings can also add an element of terror if they are large enough as they can obstruct your vision and their flapping adds to the disorientation.

Xe4

Banned

I had to deal with a few roosters when I was growing up. One was a fucking dick, and would attack me constantly. Fucker left fist sized bruises on my calves. People who say birds aren't fucking scary have never had to deal with that shit. It's insane how fast they can move when they want to fuck up your day.

Greddleok

Because they saw Jurassic Park when they were 10 and "DON'T TAKE MY BADASS T-REX AWAY FROM ME IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE A CHICKEN! :mad: :mad: "

That's dumb. Jurassic Park wasn't a documentary, it was a work of complete fiction. Would people be so upset if someone said "toys don't actually come to life when you leave the room" just because they saw Toy Story?

That's dumb. Jurassic Park wasn't a documentary, it was a work of complete fiction. Would people be so upset if someone said "toys don't actually come to life when you leave the room" just because they saw Toy Story?

People have been finding fossils for almost 200 years and believed until relatively recently (1969-1970) that they were part of the reptile family. So yeah not nearly the same thing. To me personally, they're cool either way.

Bane

Man, try explaining to someone sometime what a Velociraptor really looked like. It irks me how the filmmakers kept going on about how authentic they were being yet they straight up used another dinosaur and called it Velociraptor.

My 4 year old has a book on dinosaurs that specifically mentions they think Velociraptor had feathers. My son still thinks the dino is pretty bas-ass.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Uhm, youcan all say what you want, although dangerous, cassowaries, hens and swans don't look scary. At all. To most people at least. Compared to the popular image of dinosaurs, they're just fluffy and pretty.

To use this line of argument seems to me to be jumping around the actual issue a lot of people have with feathered dinos.

Add to that a ton of really silly looking feathered dino art, and I completely understand the "no feathers" crowd.

Show them actual great dino art though, such as the Velociraptors from the beasts of the mesozoic toy line, including it's incredible packaging art, and I think you could start changing some minds.

Edit: Art such as this:

Beasts-of-the-Mesozoic-08.jpg

Uhm, youcan all say what you want, although dangerous, cassowaries, hens and swans don't look scary. At all. To most people at least. Compared to the popular image of dinosaurs, they're just fluffy and pretty.

To use this line of argument seems to me to be jumping around the actual issue a lot of people have with feathered dinos.

Add to that a ton of really silly looking feathered dino art, and I completely understand the "no feathers" crowd.

Show them actual great dino art though, such as the Velociraptors from the beasts of the mesozoic toy line, including it's incredible packaging art, and I think you could start changing some minds.

Edit: Art such as this:

Beasts-of-the-Mesozoic-08.jpg
I actually prefer the look of feathered dinos. It actually makes more sense and gives them a sense of beauty instead of them just being bigger scaled lizards.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Cassowaries and swans will fucking break you though.

I know. Doesn't matter. They don't look like the freaky scary monsters people want dinosaurs to be.

I think a big part of the problem a lot of people have with feathers is that it grounds the dinos in reality. Our reality. It makes them look like something you could easily imagine, instead of the fantastic beasts that comes right out of fantasy.

Takes some of the mystery away. This is just me guessing though.

Personally, I like feathers, but I get why people don't. And a picture of a cassowary will never be as scary as a scaly teeth demon from hell.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, at that point why not just fantasize dragons.

Dragons: Beasts with scales and big teeth we know never exsisted.
Old school dino: Beasts with scales and big teeth we (back then) knew exsisted.
Feathered dino: A more dangerous looking bird we know exsisted.

Dinos used to be real life dragons in many ways. Now they are not. If you can't see why a lot of people want to hold on to the idea of there being such beasts walking around on this very planet, I don't really know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom